Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Garcia's Number 10

Read 6353 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Garcia's Number 10
      Jul 05, 2007 03:09:00 pm
      Where do you think this number will go?

Do you think a current member of the squad should have the number or do you think a new player on their way on can have it?
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Re: Garcia's Number 10
      Reply #1: Jul 05, 2007 05:05:57 pm
      I think if we get Quaresma, he would get it.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #2: Jul 05, 2007 05:46:22 pm
      wil have to be someone creative.
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 05, 2007 06:51:02 pm
      My vote goes to Kuyt
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #4: Jul 05, 2007 07:15:07 pm

And to everyone who has got a shirt in the last 12 months with Kuyt and his number on what? Are you Rick Parry in disguise?

We may not have finished our summer signings yet.
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #5: Jul 05, 2007 07:21:16 pm
      yeah you cant make these judgments when we have only made one signing, its like people saying what next seasons team will be, unless you are rafa or have a crystal ball its finger in the air stuff !

Maybe John Barnes will come back ;D
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #6: Jul 05, 2007 07:25:00 pm
      And to everyone who has got a shirt in the last 12 months with Kuyt and his number on what? Are you Rick Parry in disguise?

I completely agree, I don't believe existing squad numbers should be changed until a new kit comes out. These days your squad number isn't always indicative of the position you play, so I say just give it to one of the new wingers we'll hopefully be signing.
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2007 03:37:54 am
      I think if we get Quaresma, he would get it.
      Agree with you 150%....quaresma will get the number 10 shirt if he joins....
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 06, 2007 12:45:15 pm

What about the poor bas**rds that had a garcia 10 shirt, thats footie for you and the danger of getting a player name and number on it.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #9: Jul 06, 2007 01:47:11 pm
      Voronin has been given it!  :-\
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #10: Jul 06, 2007 03:32:01 pm
      The Jersey's Quaresma's or Mancini only if any of them join us. It will be great to have both of them
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #11: Jul 06, 2007 03:38:34 pm

Just seen that, perhaps he's not gonna be a squad player after all, i'm quite shocked
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #12: Jul 06, 2007 04:18:06 pm
      why give the number 10 to someone who isn't gonna play much
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #13: Jul 06, 2007 04:31:38 pm
      Why come to the conclusion that a player who hasn't kicked a ball for us yet won't play that much? Nice to see fair minded Liverpool fans aren't fickle and are going to give this Lad a fair crack of the whip ??? (Thats sarcasm for any one who doesn't recognize it)
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #14: Jul 06, 2007 07:56:46 pm
       what's in a number  nowadays in football , nothing.   
      its true some players choose a number if its available
        but i can give stevie the number one shirt and he still be world class without his number 8
        i am sure that torres got his  #9 cause it came vacant with robbie's departure         
      garlo
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 518 posts |
      Reply #15: Jul 07, 2007 03:15:18 am
      Voronin got number #10
      i can't believe it he isn't worthy of it
      i was expecting him to get somewhere in the 20's (not goals but shirt number haha)
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #16: Jul 07, 2007 05:41:05 am
      even though 'the number' doesnt make the player in the world of football, and the number doesnt really mean anything....the fact the so many greats, infact legends from around the world have worn the number 10 jersey it should be respected by giving it to a player who's worthy of it, or not given at all....one that possesses a fair bit of talent, skill and flair.
      eg: in france, the number 10 was worn by one of the greatest players the world has seen "zizou". the french national team have since retired the number 10 jersey so no one else will be able to wear it.

I watched voronin play in the world cup last year, and he, by all means is not a stand out player....he looks more the type (in our team) to come on from the bench in the 75th or 80th minute if we're struggling to score, as he might be able to score an assy goal.
      does that deserve the number 10?? i wouldve expected him to get a jersey in the 20's !!!!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #17: Jul 07, 2007 08:04:52 am
      woodgate number 7, belahouz (?) number 9 and now Vermin gets number 10!? I just reckon thats disrespectful to Digger. I understand rafa trying to show he has faith in the lad but giving him the number 10 shirt? I'm still pissed that the number 5 shirt isn't held in more esteem...Ronnie Whelen brought such a class to that number...took it away from the defenders and made it relervant.....ahhh starting to get emotional as I remember the great Ronnie......memory lane....b#stard Vermin!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #18: Jul 07, 2007 12:13:56 pm
      One for the books like isn't it?

Maybe he'll figure a bit more than expected, although Rafa hasn't suggested he will! Or mentioned his name much, for that matter  ;)

What about the poor bas**rds that had a garcia 10 shirt, thats footie for you and the danger of getting a player name and number on it.

People get sold all the time, that's just a case of sh*t happens! What about all those Madrilenos who got Torres shirts? You feel sorry for them?  ;D
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,123 posts | 451 
      Reply #19: Jul 07, 2007 10:16:47 pm
      even though 'the number' doesnt make the player in the world of football, and the number doesnt really mean anything....the fact the so many greats, infact legends from around the world have worn the number 10 jersey it should be respected by giving it to a player who's worthy of it, or not given at all....one that possesses a fair bit of talent, skill and flair.
      eg: in france, the number 10 was worn by one of the greatest players the world has seen "zizou". the french national team have since retired the number 10 jersey so no one else will be able to wear it.

I watched voronin play in the world cup last year, and he, by all means is not a stand out player....he looks more the type (in our team) to come on from the bench in the 75th or 80th minute if we're struggling to score, as he might be able to score an assy goal.
      does that deserve the number 10?? I wouldve expected him to get a jersey in the 20's !!!!!

totally agree with you, how can such an important shirt be worn by a bench warmer.  Dalgleish, Keegan, Barnes, owen ...... veronin!
      evadbur
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #20: Jul 08, 2007 12:29:45 am
      Are you sure those numbers are final? Scott Carson no. 88?
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #21: Jul 08, 2007 11:02:39 am
      Can someone explain why Voronin is getting so much stick ???

Have I missed something ???

The lad hasn't kicked a ball for us yet and there is so many assumptions about his contribution (or lack of it).

I admit to have not seeing much of the lad but I bet there's a few out there who haven't seen a lot of Torres but are talking about him being the dogs bollocks.

Maybe we shouldn't sign players on free transfers an splash out silly amounts of money on sh*te players like Houllier did.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Jul 08, 2007 11:56:24 am
      Can someone explain why Voronin is getting so much stick ???

Have I missed something ???

The lad hasn't kicked a ball for us yet and there is so many assumptions about his contribution (or lack of it).

I admit to have not seeing much of the lad but I bet there's a few out there who haven't seen a lot of Torres but are talking about him being the dogs bollocks.

Maybe we shouldn't sign players on free transfers an splash out silly amounts of money on sh*te players like Houllier did.

Absolutely spot on. I'd say there are probably a lot of people who have seen as much of Torres as they have of Voronin, and like you said are making their judgement based on transfer fees. Steve McManaman, Sol Campbell and Michael Ballack all cost nothing, guess they must be sh*t too?

Getting back on topic, I don't think it matters what number a player gets. Since players have had to have set squad numbers for the season they haven't always indicated the position you play or importance in the team. If they did I'm sure Carragher would have a better shirt number than 23.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,123 posts | 451 
      Reply #23: Jul 09, 2007 01:40:28 am
      The above named players had many options, we were probably the only top side that showed any interest in the player.   Anyway i'm always negative on free signings because i feel they nearly always fail.  Top of my head only campbell and mccallister delivered. Ballack didn't light up the premiership as expected.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #24: Apr 03, 2013 08:15:05 am
      Some funny reads about Voronin's number 10 ;D

Finally we got a proper creative number 10 with flair. ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #25: Apr 03, 2013 09:54:26 am
      A nearly 6 year bump, what were you doing rooting around the LFCReds basement? ;)
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #26: Apr 03, 2013 10:25:37 am
      A nearly 6 year bump, what were you doing rooting around the LFCReds basement? ;)

Haha.I was reading some of old Garcia's threads to know how people's opinion changed in time. ;)
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #27: Apr 03, 2013 03:45:05 pm
      Some funny reads about Voronin's number 10 ;D

Finally we got a proper creative number 10 with flair. ;)

Didn't even read the date of that post - thought someone was calling Voronin a proper number 10 with flair there!
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #28: Apr 03, 2013 04:52:39 pm
       ;D
      Didn't even read the date of that post - thought someone was calling Voronin a proper number 10 with flair there!
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #29: Apr 03, 2013 04:58:01 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #30: Apr 03, 2013 05:17:49 pm

Expected in August .... when we are thumb twiddling feeding off transfer scraps to keep us going.
      Showed how resourceful we really were last August ... doing just that ... when nothing really happened !

Ayres went home early ... for the month ... riding into the sunset on his HD.

Quick Reply