Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fernandez Suso (Liverpool > AC Milan)

Read 190788 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Fernandez Suso (Liverpool > AC Milan)
      Reply #1426: Nov 08, 2017 07:19:04 pm
      Yeah we should only scout people at Southampton

Yea where did I say that?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1427: Nov 08, 2017 07:20:31 pm

Exactly.  It's not like he was anything special when he was here.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1428: Nov 08, 2017 07:27:42 pm
      Fair play to him for getting things back on track since leaving us - impressing in an ever improving Italian league.

Wouldn't improve our starting XI though.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1429: Nov 08, 2017 07:32:59 pm

I was being sarcastic. Being dismissive of someone because they play in italy, where did salah come from. Has been really good for milan
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1430: Nov 08, 2017 07:51:24 pm
      No idea how well he's playing for Milan as I have seen very little of them this season, but I sure do not put as much weight as some do on national call ups. Unless the player is a regular player for his nation, then an occasional call up really doesn't mean as much as newspapers try to make it sound - calling an once capped crap player a "Brazilian international" seems to be one of their favourite tactics to spice up some rumours. Lots of terribly average players have been called up and played a few times even for the best national teams such as Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy and so on.

Trying to think of the worst or most notable 'once capped crap player' in England (to be fair - there's even more multiple capped crap players!) - there's been a few absolute roasters like Blueshite Franny Jeffers. One that comes to mind is Ryan Shawcross - sent on with 15 minutes to go against Sweden a few years back in which time Zlatan scores three goals and England lose 4-2. Hilarious!

Another, more tragic, one cap wonder this time for Scotland was John Kennedy ex Celtic starlet who was tipped for big big things around 2003/2004. Kept Ronaldinho and co at bay when Celtic beat Barca in the UEFA Cup, got called up shortly after for Scotland and then suffered a horrendous knee injury that kept him out for years and pretty much finished his career. Terrible.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1431: Nov 08, 2017 08:46:48 pm
      Exactly.  It's not like he was anything special when he was here.

I always thought he looked very good and was a real prospect.

The biggest issues I thought he had related to attitude, while it was never confirmed it seemed highly likely as even after strong performances Brendan didn't give him any playing time.

He also always looked like he would be competing with the likes of Coutinho for game time and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we can't get Lemar (sounds like Barca are after him) then if Coutinho goes then we go after Suso. Haven't watched him for AC but what I remember of him here I was always wanting to see him given a lot more time.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1432: Nov 08, 2017 09:00:07 pm
      Trying to think of the worst or most notable 'once capped crap player' in England (to be fair - there's even more multiple capped crap players!) - there's been a few absolute roasters like Blueshite Franny Jeffers. One that comes to mind is Ryan Shawcross - sent on with 15 minutes to go against Sweden a few years back in which time Zlatan scores three goals and England lose 4-2. Hilarious!

Another, more tragic, one cap wonder this time for Scotland was John Kennedy ex Celtic starlet who was tipped for big big things around 2003/2004. Kept Ronaldinho and co at bay when Celtic beat Barca in the UEFA Cup, got called up shortly after for Scotland and then suffered a horrendous knee injury that kept him out for years and pretty much finished his career. Terrible.

Yep Kennedy could’ve a real good one that was a real shame. Kinda fitting though that one of his best mates - Stephen McManus went on to have his career and captain Celtic for both of them.

Not a one cap wonder but Ian Durrant in the 80s was a similar tragedy. He managed to come back and have something of a career but he was really going to be very, very special.

People (some) will laugh but I think he was as talented as Gazza.

That Chris Sutton has only one cap for Engerland is risible.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1433: Nov 08, 2017 09:28:01 pm
      Yep Kennedy could’ve a real good one that was a real shame. Kinda fitting though that one of his best mates - Stephen McManus went on to have his career and captain Celtic for both of them.

Not a one cap wonder but Ian Durrant in the 80s was a similar tragedy. He managed to come back and have something of a career but he was really going to be very, very special.

Yeah Chris Sutton was a fantastic striker far more deserving of one cap. Amazing that the likes of Darius Vassell and others constructed more meaningful international careers for England than him. Others may disagree but Alan Thompson deserved more than one cap as well. Can still remember an absolute cracker in the Old Firm years ago from him amongst many other excellent performances against some very good sides (including Liverpool sadly). That Celtic side were brim full of terrific players who not only contributed massively to their club but internationally as well. Larsson and Petrov especially.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2017 09:49:08 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1434: Nov 09, 2017 12:10:40 am
      No idea how well he's playing for Milan as I have seen very little of them this season, but I sure do not put as much weight as some do on national call ups. Unless the player is a regular player for his nation, then an occasional call up really doesn't mean as much as newspapers try to make it sound - calling an once capped crap player a "Brazilian international" seems to be one of their favourite tactics to spice up some rumours. Lots of terribly average players have been called up and played a few times even for the best national teams such as Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy and so on.

All I really have to do is look back at some of the England teams over the years.

That said, I think it's reasonable if a players having a good season, to give him a shot and see how he does.

On the other hand, Carlton Palmer won caps  :lmao:
      Still can't believe that one  :laugh:

As for Suso, he's a gifted footballer.
      It's just a pity he's not as good as he thinks he is.
      Matches are won and lost on the training pitch, and in the players heads.
      By all accounts, Suso thought that was beneath him.
      Good luck to the lad, but he could have been so much more right now, if only he didn't let his ego get in the way.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1435: Nov 09, 2017 08:28:56 pm
      Been watching a lot of Serie A and Milan games when I can. Suso is basically Coutinho on the right side, and every time he gets the ball, you expect something to happen (similar to Coutinho). Fantastic footballer that loves to dribble, has a good cross on him and decent work rate, but he is a bit one dimensional on the right, predictable just like our Coutinho, yet still causes the opposition defence problems . Would love to see him play more centrally and see him mix things up a bit.

I think Spurs was after him in the summer, but Milan didn't want to sell unless they received a ridiculous offer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #1436: Nov 09, 2017 09:30:12 pm

Chris sutton blotted his copybook by turning down the chance for an England b team. As for ian durrant very sad that Aberdeen fans still celebrate to this day the tackle by neil simpson
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1437: Nov 09, 2017 09:41:20 pm
      Chris sutton blotted his copybook by turning down the chance for an England b team. As for ian durrant very sad that Aberdeen fans still celebrate to this day the tackle by neil simpson

Yeh spot on mate. Sutton said recently he regretted that.

The whole old firm and Aberdeen thing is bizarre. They hate each other and Aberdeen hate them both the same ever since Slur Alco.

He was some player. Souness describes him as probably the most naturally gifted player he played alongside.

Go figure.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #1438: Nov 09, 2017 09:48:34 pm
      Yeh spot on mate. Sutton said recently he regretted that.

The whole old firm and Aberdeen thing is bizarre. They hate each other and Aberdeen hate them both the same ever since Slur Alco.

He was some player. Souness describes him as probably the most naturally gifted player he played alongside.

Go figure.

Makes me laugh when i see the aberdeen ultras banners, most of them haven't reached puberty
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1439: Nov 09, 2017 10:02:15 pm
      Makes me laugh when i see the aberdeen ultras banners, most of them haven't reached puberty

Ach it’s east coast mate - don’t make no sense ;)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1440: May 20, 2018 01:00:11 pm
      When Suso arrived in Italy to sign for Milan, in January 2015, there were no fans or journalists at Malpensa airport to greet him. He was a virtual stranger, a low-key signing for a club that were no longer able to reach the heights of previous decades.

The Spaniard cost Milan ÂŁ1m and arrived in Italy having spent the previous four and a half years at Liverpool, a spell that included 21 first-team appearances and one goal, as well as a loan spell at AlmerĂ­a.

It was not the signing the Milan fans had hoped for but three years later the Spaniard, now 24, is someone they do not want to lose. Suso has developed into an outstanding player, one of the best in Serie A, and he has hopes of going to the World Cup.

He is a different player – and a different person – to the one that arrived in Italy and the transformation has been such that even he sometimes needs to stop to take it all in. “So much has changed. When I arrived here it wasn’t easy: I didn’t play a lot and I had to go to Genoa on loan in order to play.

“Milan was always my dream: when I was a kid I watched the great players who wore the shirt and now to be playing here is incredible. I am proud to be able to play for Milan and one day I’ll be able to tell my son: ‘Your father played for Milan.’”

The Rossoneri have undergone huge changes in the past few years, being taken over by Li Yonghong in April last year and investing €230m in players last summer. Despite that, they struggled initially and it was only after Gennaro Gattuso took over from Vincenzo Montella as manager in November that the team climbed the table.

They are now sixth in Serie A, 11 points behind fourth-placed Lazio. They lost the Coppa Italia final against Juventus 4-0 but at last there are signs that they are about to recapture their former glories.

“It hasn’t been an easy season,” Suso says. “There were a lot of expectations on us but we did not start well. After Gattuso took over everything improved and we are working hard to qualify for Europe.

“The club changed a lot in the last year and invested heavily in players. It’s never easy when there is such a big change. Compared with the start of the year we have improved a lot. And, importantly, there are a lot of young players at Milan at the moment, which is another reason we need time. But we are on the right path.”

Suso and his team-mates have benefited from working with Gattuso, a fiery character who had mixed results as a manager before taking charge of Milan’s first team. The former Milan, Rangers and Italy midfielder had been in charge of Sion (as player-manager), Palermo, Crete and Pisa before returning to Milan to take over the primavera side, as Italian youth teams are known.

Partly because of the kind of player he was, Gattuso has earned a reputation for being a great motivator but there have been questions about his tactical nous. Suso, however, paints a picture of a manager who is able to motivate, challenge and improve players.

“He is very impressive,” he says. “He works 24 hours a day and only thinks about football. He likes the work, he likes all of it: after many years without playing in Europe we see the light with him. I’m certain he will be a great manager.

“He has not been with us for a long time but he has already left a significant mark. Also, his charisma isn’t everything. He is good tactically, in attack and defence. He also knows how to talk to players, he always gets his point across and how a manager communicates with his players is fundamental.”

Suso’s form for Milan has led to speculation that he could search for Champions League football but he is in no rush to leave the team that have made him a star. “I’m very happy at Milan,” he says. “Always when there are rumours about me leaving I reiterate that I am happy here and I think the club is with me. I have a release clause [€40m] and that was something both the club and my agent wanted. If the club wants to continue to be among the top sides and count on me then I am here for them.”

Suso, born in Cádiz in south-west Spain, was scouted by Liverpool when on international duty for Spain Under-17s and left home for England as a 16-year-old. Although he was happy at Anfield, he admits that it was a big step to take at such a young age. “In a sense I became a man before I became a footballer. It was very hard with the lifestyle and language.

“But to this day I remember everything. I did not play that much but I got to know Steven Gerrard and be a team-mate of players such as Luis SĂșarez, Philippe Coutinho and Jamie Carragher. I’ll never forget my experience at Liverpool.

“Premier League football is different, I would call it special: I would like to play for Liverpool again some day. I grew up there and it is a big club.”

His former club are taking on Real Madrid in Kiev in the Champions League final on Saturday and for Suso it will be a strange evening. “My heart is torn: if Real Madrid win it will make me happy because it is a Spanish team winning but then if Liverpool win I will be equally happy because it is my former club.”

The Champions League is a competition the young Spaniard dreams about, having been close to playing in it when at Liverpool. He was selected in the starting XI against Basel in 2014 – only to suffer an injury in the warm-up. But he is confident he will be back. “This is an important moment in my career and next year will be even more important. I feel like I am only at 60-70% of what I can achieve.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/20/suso-milan-interview-what-i-can-achieve-liverpool

Very good player, and you can't go wrong with ÂŁ35m release clause, but unfortantely, I don't think he is the right fit for Klopp.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1441: May 20, 2018 02:40:28 pm
      When Suso arrived in Italy to sign for Milan, in January 2015, there were no fans or journalists at Malpensa airport to greet him. He was a virtual stranger, a low-key signing for a club that were no longer able to reach the heights of previous decades.

The Spaniard cost Milan ÂŁ1m and arrived in Italy having spent the previous four and a half years at Liverpool, a spell that included 21 first-team appearances and one goal, as well as a loan spell at AlmerĂ­a.

It was not the signing the Milan fans had hoped for but three years later the Spaniard, now 24, is someone they do not want to lose. Suso has developed into an outstanding player, one of the best in Serie A, and he has hopes of going to the World Cup.

He is a different player – and a different person – to the one that arrived in Italy and the transformation has been such that even he sometimes needs to stop to take it all in. “So much has changed. When I arrived here it wasn’t easy: I didn’t play a lot and I had to go to Genoa on loan in order to play.

“Milan was always my dream: when I was a kid I watched the great players who wore the shirt and now to be playing here is incredible. I am proud to be able to play for Milan and one day I’ll be able to tell my son: ‘Your father played for Milan.’”

The Rossoneri have undergone huge changes in the past few years, being taken over by Li Yonghong in April last year and investing €230m in players last summer. Despite that, they struggled initially and it was only after Gennaro Gattuso took over from Vincenzo Montella as manager in November that the team climbed the table.

They are now sixth in Serie A, 11 points behind fourth-placed Lazio. They lost the Coppa Italia final against Juventus 4-0 but at last there are signs that they are about to recapture their former glories.

“It hasn’t been an easy season,” Suso says. “There were a lot of expectations on us but we did not start well. After Gattuso took over everything improved and we are working hard to qualify for Europe.

“The club changed a lot in the last year and invested heavily in players. It’s never easy when there is such a big change. Compared with the start of the year we have improved a lot. And, importantly, there are a lot of young players at Milan at the moment, which is another reason we need time. But we are on the right path.”

Suso and his team-mates have benefited from working with Gattuso, a fiery character who had mixed results as a manager before taking charge of Milan’s first team. The former Milan, Rangers and Italy midfielder had been in charge of Sion (as player-manager), Palermo, Crete and Pisa before returning to Milan to take over the primavera side, as Italian youth teams are known.

Partly because of the kind of player he was, Gattuso has earned a reputation for being a great motivator but there have been questions about his tactical nous. Suso, however, paints a picture of a manager who is able to motivate, challenge and improve players.

“He is very impressive,” he says. “He works 24 hours a day and only thinks about football. He likes the work, he likes all of it: after many years without playing in Europe we see the light with him. I’m certain he will be a great manager.

“He has not been with us for a long time but he has already left a significant mark. Also, his charisma isn’t everything. He is good tactically, in attack and defence. He also knows how to talk to players, he always gets his point across and how a manager communicates with his players is fundamental.”

Suso’s form for Milan has led to speculation that he could search for Champions League football but he is in no rush to leave the team that have made him a star. “I’m very happy at Milan,” he says. “Always when there are rumours about me leaving I reiterate that I am happy here and I think the club is with me. I have a release clause [€40m] and that was something both the club and my agent wanted. If the club wants to continue to be among the top sides and count on me then I am here for them.”

Suso, born in Cádiz in south-west Spain, was scouted by Liverpool when on international duty for Spain Under-17s and left home for England as a 16-year-old. Although he was happy at Anfield, he admits that it was a big step to take at such a young age. “In a sense I became a man before I became a footballer. It was very hard with the lifestyle and language.

“But to this day I remember everything. I did not play that much but I got to know Steven Gerrard and be a team-mate of players such as Luis SĂșarez, Philippe Coutinho and Jamie Carragher. I’ll never forget my experience at Liverpool.

“Premier League football is different, I would call it special: I would like to play for Liverpool again some day. I grew up there and it is a big club.”

His former club are taking on Real Madrid in Kiev in the Champions League final on Saturday and for Suso it will be a strange evening. “My heart is torn: if Real Madrid win it will make me happy because it is a Spanish team winning but then if Liverpool win I will be equally happy because it is my former club.”

The Champions League is a competition the young Spaniard dreams about, having been close to playing in it when at Liverpool. He was selected in the starting XI against Basel in 2014 – only to suffer an injury in the warm-up. But he is confident he will be back. “This is an important moment in my career and next year will be even more important. I feel like I am only at 60-70% of what I can achieve.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/20/suso-milan-interview-what-i-can-achieve-liverpool

Very good player, and you can't go wrong with ÂŁ35m release clause, but unfortantely, I don't think he is the right fit for Klopp.

He’s torn between the team that he played for and a team that’s Spanish?

Piss off. Never rated him and never really liked him. Always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and there were questions about his work ethic.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1442: May 20, 2018 09:34:19 pm
      He’s torn between the team that he played for and a team that’s Spanish?

Piss off. Never rated him and never really liked him. Always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and there were questions about his work ethic.

Of course he is.
      Not much wrong in what he said.
      Would have like to still have him at the club.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1443: May 20, 2018 10:46:23 pm
      Of course he is.
      Not much wrong in what he said.
      Would have like to still have him at the club.
      If a team I actually played for was playing literally any other team in the  world I’d root for the team I used to play for. But again, that speaks to his attitude as why he didn’t make it here. He never seemed to be fully invested. That’s just how it always came across to me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1444: May 21, 2018 10:26:36 am
      If a team I actually played for was playing literally any other team in the  world I’d root for the team I used to play for. But again, that speaks to his attitude as why he didn’t make it here. He never seemed to be fully invested. That’s just how it always came across to me.

He arrived as a kid and changes to managers during his stay didn't help.
      Showed enough about him when he played to deserve more than whispers about his attitude.
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2018 11:20:28 am by racerx34 »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1445: May 21, 2018 10:42:56 am
      Decent player but too slow for the PL.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1446: May 21, 2018 10:46:16 am
      He arrived as a kid and changes to managers during his stay didn't help.
      Should enough about him when he played to deserve more than whispers about his attitude.

Decent player but too slow for the PL.

Agree with both of you.

Never seemed a bad kid and looks good in Milan system.

I’m just not convinced re pace / dynamism.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1447: May 21, 2018 11:21:21 am
      Agree with both of you.

Never seemed a bad kid and looks good in Milan system.

I’m just not convinced re pace / dynamism.

No question he wasn't pacy, but then neither was Coutinho. (Calm down at the back there.)
      Then I wouldn't be suggesting he goes into the front 3.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1448: May 21, 2018 11:35:18 am
      No question he wasn't pacy, but then neither was Coutinho. (Calm down at the back there.)
      Then I wouldn't be suggesting he goes into the front 3.

Indeed.....and as Kenny was the ultimate example of “the first five yards are in the head” I should know better ;)

Quick Reply