Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (87.4%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0.7%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (0.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (0.7%)
      Paul Konchesky
      (4.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (0.7%)
      Christian Poulsen
      (1.5%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (0%)
      Milan Jovanovich
      (1.5%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Fernando Torres
      (0%)
      Raul Meireles
      (2.2%)
      Daniel Agger
      (0%)

Birmingham 0-0 Liverpool: In-game & post-match midfield bashing

Read 60868 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6708 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Birmingham 0-0 Liverpool: In-game & post-match midfield bashing
      Reply #690: Sep 13, 2010 11:58:30 am
      What a F***ing dire display that was from our lads.

If it wasn't for Pepe we would have gone in at half time 3 goals down.

Birmingham did what we should have done. They chased us, harrassed us and never gave us a seconds breathing space. That's what we should be doing when we're home or away if we haven't got the ball, give no bas**rds a sniff.

We honestly looked 2nd rate today, made me physically ill.

Can't believe Roy waited till the 77th minute to make a F***ing change. Pull your sh*t together Roy and please no Lucas/Poulsen partnership when we play the Mancs, we'll get murdered.

To all the lads who made the trip out there today, I salute you, I could hear every song you sang and was wishing I was right there with you, I'm just sorry the lads made you watch that sh*t. At least you got to see a world class keeper do what he does best!

arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #691: Sep 13, 2010 12:44:40 pm
      What a f**king dire display that was from our lads.

If it wasn't for Pepe we would have gone in at half time 3 goals down.

Birmingham did what we should have done. They chased us, harrassed us and never gave us a seconds breathing space. That's what we should be doing when we're home or away if we haven't got the ball, give no bas**rds a sniff.

We honestly looked 2nd rate today, made me physically ill.

Can't believe Roy waited till the 77th minute to make a f**king change. Pull your sh*t together Roy and please no Lucas/Poulsen partnership when we play the Mancs, we'll get murdered.

To all the lads who made the trip out there today, I salute you, I could hear every song you sang and was wishing I was right there with you, I'm just sorry the lads made you watch that sh*t. At least you got to see a world class keeper do what he does best!

It doesn't work like this. If we conceded the 1st goal doesn't mean that we would have played the same way. However, what baffles me is why not play as if we were 1-0 down from the start. Ask the manager not me. To be fair to Roy it was the same with Rafa. So there must be something that we peasants don't know about.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #692: Sep 13, 2010 12:49:03 pm
      I'm just sat here laughing my arse off at who ever voted for Lucas & Poulsen, you couldn't write such comedy.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,529 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #693: Sep 13, 2010 12:54:40 pm
      Oh FFS, that really upset an otherwise decent weekend, with most of the other teams dropping points we could have caught up and be back in the mix.

But no, once again, we throw away another exellent opportunity with a crap performance.
      Is it the players?  Is it the manager?

I don't really care, but I'm quickly getting fed up of watching sh*t football again, last season was bad enough 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6708 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #694: Sep 13, 2010 01:10:18 pm
      It doesn't work like this. If we conceded the 1st goal doesn't mean that we would have played the same way. However, what baffles me is why not play as if we were 1-0 down from the start. Ask the manager not me. To be fair to Roy it was the same with Rafa. So there must be something that we peasants don't know about.

So you're saying if we went a goal down early, Roy might have made a sub earlier to try and change the way we were playing? If thats' the case it almost makes me we wish we had gone 1-0 down, it would have changed our players and our mindset on the pitch, maybe we would have had a few decent shots on goal, not none in the first half!
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #695: Sep 13, 2010 01:27:20 pm
      When Gerrard is on song the formation works - but we still need Meireles in the middle rather than Poulsen.

Unfortunately, as our main playmaker, Gerrard had a stinker yesterday - he got plenty of service, saw lots of the ball but didn't complete the pass an incredible 15 times out of 43.
      Ok, that includes a couple of corners, but on not one single occasion did he find a man with a cross, and only once found a man inside the box.

When he is on top of his game, he makes us tick, but brum did a good job of shackling him yesterday, and his frustration grew and he became ineffective.

He dropped deeper to escape his 2 markers, and played a little better, but by then the game was all but over.

I'd like to see Meireles start the next game, but rotate with Gerrard to negate man to man marking and pull players out of position.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #696: Sep 13, 2010 01:30:55 pm
      The 4-5-1 formation will not work as long as we have two not so attack minded midfielders sitting behind our main striker and the player in the hole. IMO, it's either a 4-5-1 without the Lucas-Poulsen partnership or back to 4-4-2. I would rather have seen Ryan Babel playing alongside Torres upfront with Gerrard back in midfield than Poulsen-Lucas in the centre.

The difference in play was well shown when Raul Meireles came on.

I noticed two things. When Gerrard played the ball in to the box, Raul Meireles made an attempt to attack the incoming ball. Later on, when Daniel Agger played the ball in, Raul was at the end of it from a tight angle albeit being offside. Our two other midfielders in Poulsen and Lucas do not do that, often or even at all.

I understand they probably are not the same type of players but Roy should have then changed the selection early on or even selected a different team right from the start.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #697: Sep 13, 2010 01:42:07 pm
      The 4-5-1 formation will not work as long as we have two not so attack minded midfielders sitting behind our main striker and the player in the hole. IMO, it's either a 4-5-1 without the Lucas-Poulsen partnership or back to 4-4-2. I would rather have seen Ryan Babel playing alongside Torres upfront with Gerrard back in midfield than Poulsen-Lucas in the centre.

I noticed two things. When Gerrard played the ball in to the box, Raul Meireles made an attempt to attack the incoming ball. Later on, when Daniel Agger played the ball in, Raul was at the end of it from a tight angle albeit being offside. Our two other midfielders in Poulsen and Lucas do not do that, often or even at all.

I understand they probably are not the same type of players but Roy should have then changed the selection early on or even selected a different team right from the start.

From what I've seen so far this season, I'd rather have Lucas in there than Poulsen, with Meireles alongside him and rotating the playmaker position with Gerrard.

Brum went out to stifle us, and they succeeded, until Gerrard and Meireles started switching positions.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #698: Sep 13, 2010 01:48:02 pm
      From what I've seen so far this season, I'd rather have Lucas in there than Poulsen, with Meireles alongside him and rotating the playmaker position with Gerrard.

Brum went out to stifle us, and they succeeded, until Gerrard and Meireles started switching positions.

Like I've said before and I'll say it again. I don't mind if Lucas or Poulsen plays but I just don't want to see them together in midfield. We should only play one and not both.

The reason the two holding midfielders worked in 2008/2009 is because Alonso and Mascherano were two totally different players but playing the same role whereas after that, we have two almost similar players playing the same role. That is why I think Gerrard or Meireles partnering one of them would do much better for us as we have seen last season when Aquilani was on the pitch.

We've seen the Lucas-Mascherano partnership last season and it isolates Gerrard and Torres too much.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #699: Sep 13, 2010 02:47:02 pm
      Christ this was depressing. I don't think I'm lying when I say Poulsen may well be one of the worst players to play for us and I know he's only played about 5 games but he's looked awful in every one.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #700: Sep 13, 2010 02:50:37 pm
      Can't believe anyone other than Reina has a vote... some people on a right wind up
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #701: Sep 13, 2010 03:01:25 pm
      Also, why is there hardly anyone in the box when a cross is put in?
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #702: Sep 13, 2010 03:05:11 pm
      When was the last time Liverpool scored from a corner, and how many goals from corners have we scord in the last 4-5 years? - 2 or 3 maybe?
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #703: Sep 13, 2010 03:20:26 pm
      1ST post so go easy!! While its easy to be down after that performance yesterday(who wouldnt be) i think we should take a little bit of comfort out of the fact that how we improved when raul came on and switched around with gerrard,albeit a bit of a cameo.Poulsen for me is not a liverpool player and meireles should be on from the off. We still have joe cole to come back too so its not all gloom and doom just yet. I dont think any of our players can play that bad again this season especially glen johnson who needs a good kick up the arse after yesterday.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #704: Sep 13, 2010 03:39:19 pm
      Also, why is there hardly anyone in the box when a cross is put in?

maybe because hodgson isn't one for coaching players where they should be in certain situations in the way that rafa did - both torres and gerrard have stated that they were told "to the inch" where they should be when preparing for games.

Jovanovic should also be getting in the box, as should maxi - but they seemed to go missing.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #705: Sep 13, 2010 03:41:34 pm
      1ST post so go easy!! While its easy to be down after that performance yesterday(who wouldnt be) I think we should take a little bit of comfort out of the fact that how we improved when raul came on and switched around with gerrard,albeit a bit of a cameo.Poulsen for me is not a liverpool player and meireles should be on from the off. We still have joe cole to come back too so its not all gloom and doom just yet. I dont think any of our players can play that bad again this season especially glen johnson who needs a good kick up the arse after yesterday.

Welcome to the forum!

Agree with the Johnson point, on form I would drop him and play Kelly.

Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #706: Sep 13, 2010 03:54:40 pm
      The more i think about yesterdays game, the less i blame the players.

To me it looked like they were doing what Roy had told them. We never threw enough players forward, Gerrard was always ahead of the play and therefore didn't have enough effect on the attack. Torres is fine to be ahead of the play, but only when Gerrard can get the ball forward to him.

I know it's early days, but the fact that Hodgson played Lucas and Poulsen in the middle and he was happy with the performance and result speaks volumes about what type of manager he's going to be for us. It was almost like he thought he was still managing Fulham, he didn't believe his squad had the quality to beat birmingham away!

I get the feeling that after a while, everyone will look at what Hodgson has done and say, "Wow, Rafa was actually a good manager"
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #707: Sep 13, 2010 04:11:48 pm
      Bloody sh*te display from the boys yesterday with only reina,konchesky,carra getting any credit as far as im concerned.

That midfield partnership was a joke ,so slow ,lethargic ,boring ,sideways/back/sideways/back my god it was turgid.

Whats the point of having gerrard up behind torres if there is a twenty yard gap between the midfield and strikers,f.f.s.

Maxi looked F***ing awful god he was bad giving the ball away not even trying to take people on,sh*te.

Glenda johnson had a F***ing mare seemed more concerned about his hair(get it F***ing cut lad you tart).

Ok torres was sh*te,but god im not surprised he looked pissed off with the level of service he got (oh and jamie deadcrap shut the F**k up,bellend.)

Magic display from pepe,top lad.

Roy, dont ever wait that long to make subs again if we are playing that sh*te 77 mins F***ing joke.

overall pretty bobbins.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #708: Sep 13, 2010 04:29:12 pm
      Gerrard is finished.

EDIT; So is carra.

Sorry Shabs mate but for Gerrard your word 'finished' is insult him really harsh and not acceptable at all !
      You can blame him whenever you like if he didn't play good enough, but please do not insult my great captain who served and give his best to this team over ten years.
      We have to see he play very good for England under coach who understand how to get best out of his players.
      Anyone can say I'm blinded faith but that is welcome.

Even Messi /Kaka / or any world best cannot help a team with improper tactic and even worse when around him are just average players (of course Fernando is world class but he also in similar circumstance as Gerrard).

The very good analyzed of Birmingham game posted here by Adryan :

---

---

Thanks Adryan for good post.

Gerrard look like cannot make game flow because his midfield team mates Lucas and Poulsen always not flow with the game. They maybe instructed to emphasis on defensive play than attack whereas  Meireles do better for understanding the game /Gerrard and other 'attacking' team mate. Meireles can understand Gerrard and understand how /what to do when the team attack because he is an 'offensive' type player.

I'm sorry but I think my explanation might cause someone felt sick (me already head ache reading it :) ) but finally please understand that 'A LOT OF FOOTBALL SUCCESS IS IN THE MIND - Bill Shankley', our tactics and player selection was wrong and even worse because we no have player capable to make that tactic a real.

And for Cara, I don't want to comment (after seeing incident he going to break Arbeloa's neck at WBA game few season ago ha ha :) ), sorry but I believed our defend is very very much need to improve. Season 08/09 will be our success if we have better solid defensive game (anybody remember Arshavin 4 goals at Anfield ?). Again someone might disagree because we just conceded least goal in the league that season but the truth is if Rafa can get quality defender he want to sign (Kaladze / Vidic / ?) it must be the different for sure.

---
      Sorry for my poor English.
      YNWA

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #709: Sep 13, 2010 04:39:38 pm
      When was the last time Liverpool scored from a corner, and how many goals from corners have we scord in the last 4-5 years? - 2 or 3 maybe?
      Yes that's sicked.
      More serious is how many goals we concede from corners in the last 2-3 years. -many maybe :(
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #710: Sep 13, 2010 05:02:59 pm
      I've waited a day to say this.  If I wrote this yesterday, the anger would have shown through as one too many swear words. I'm angered by the performance more than the result.  The result, considering Birmingham's current home form and our current standing, plus recent results, is not shocking and may well be a good point, come the end of the season.  

A lot of people moan about the backwards passing, which we do do far to much.  Not so many discuss the complete lack of movement of our 3 attacking midfielders. I was disgusted to see, in the final 3 minutes that some of those players could all of a sudden move & create space for themselves, though even some of that was created by Miereles' off the ball running, rather than Gerrard, Maxi & to a lesser extent yesterday, Jovanovich. It's atrocious how little work they do off the ball to create space for themselves.  We do play 2 defensive midfielders, something I disagree  with, but unless one of those players have the passing range of players like Molby, Alonso or Aquilani, then you're relying on these 3 attacking midfielders to make themselves available for the deep lying players, something they, yet again, failed to achieve yesterday. For all his mediocrity, at least Lucas made himself available and looked like he wanted the ball.

The back 4 were a mixed bag too, Skrtel gave an improved performance, but still left me heart in mouth.  Carragher was steady & unspectacular. Konchesky had an alright debut & actually had a good 10 minute period, linking up well with Jovanovic and actually providing some semblance of an attacking threat. Johnson was poor, not aided at all by having Maxi in front of him and as often as they could, Birmingham double-teamed him and took possession from him far too easily. You'd think he'd start putting some performances in, with Kelly breathing down his neck for a starting place.

And now for many, a major bug bear.  Poulsen & Lucas.  Lucas was better than Poulsen, but that doesn't really say much.  Lucas actually sprayed 3-4 decent passes about, but as I've said in another part, neither got forward enough to assist with our attacks and Poulsen was downright usesless.  I've never seen a slower, more negative performance than his yesterday.

As for the performances of our three attacking midfielders, Jovanovic seemed to be doing a Dirk Kuyt/headless chicken tribute act and still managed to best of the three.  Gerrard was woeful and looked disinterested and I struggle to remember an attacking pass he made yesterday.  Maxi may as well have been Claude Rains (if you don't know who that is, look him up).  How Maxi stayed on the pitch, I'll never know, maybe Roy couldn't see him?

As for Torres, lacked service, looked rusty and seemed to have picked up a nasty habit.  I don't care who you are, raking your studs down an opposition players leg is indefensible, we'd all shout blue murder if that was Vidic (yet again) doing it to Torres.  He looks like a player that needs a strike partner, not something I'd ever thought I'd say.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #711: Sep 13, 2010 05:03:35 pm

World class players cannot win a game on their own- they need good team-mates around them to shine-
      If ROY realised Lucas & Poulsen add absolutely nothing to our game- played Gerrard where he plays his best football, and gave Pacheco & Babel more than 10 mins- we will see the kind of sexy winning football we have seen before!

I will remind you of this quote when you love Gerrard again.

P.S: Gerrard gets spared alot of criticism because he has proved himself time and time again, we have seen his talent & skill.
      Whereas the likes of Lucas, Poulsen, Maxi, etc- have yet to show us anything.

Good one , MsTorres :)
      Sorry but I'm just read your post, my post similar to your but you really speak my mind. Thanks.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #712: Sep 13, 2010 05:18:22 pm
      Which wankers voted Lucas and Johnson? ;D :laugh:

I'll own up to voting Poulsen, thought he was immense yesterday  :laugh: :nod:

Quick Reply