Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (87.4%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0.7%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (0.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (0.7%)
      Paul Konchesky
      (4.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (0.7%)
      Christian Poulsen
      (1.5%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (0%)
      Milan Jovanovich
      (1.5%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Fernando Torres
      (0%)
      Raul Meireles
      (2.2%)
      Daniel Agger
      (0%)

Birmingham 0-0 Liverpool: In-game & post-match midfield bashing

Read 60843 times
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,633 posts | 128 
      Re: Birmingham 0-0 Liverpool: In-game & post-match midfield bashing
      Reply #736: Sep 13, 2010 09:04:27 pm
      Such a shame when you compare the midfield from 08/09 to now. Had Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard. Now we have the likes of Poulsen and Lucas, playing regular in the midfield position.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #737: Sep 13, 2010 09:15:50 pm
      Says a lot when Pepe wins the poll with 86% of the vote !
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #738: Sep 13, 2010 09:18:17 pm

Sideways passing from Gerrard. Shock horror. Where's his mention on being absolutely sh*te?

Slap a blonde wig on him and you'd be fu**ed trying to figure out who was the real Poulsen/Lucas.

to be fair an awful lot of his passes are near the 18 yard box, very little passes are played straight forward from there when so many times there is no space ahead to pass into. if he was passing sideways from centre of the pitch then i would be really worried.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #739: Sep 13, 2010 09:22:45 pm
      I would love to see Gerrard & Meriles (?) in the middle with Cole behind Torres, theres some sexy football!
      Put on the wings who you wish- Pacheco on the left & Kuyt on the right, decent starting 11 and a decent bench!

And I will get more angry and frustrated as the season wears on, and Roy turns out to be stubborn & clueless.
      Bang on Mstorres,we will never be creative from the midfield until we have Gerrard and Meireles in there, kuyt when fit on the right backed by Kelly, on the left i would have either Jova/ Babel backed by Konchesky, Carra and Agger completing the back line and up front Torres with Cole in the hole, Maxi with a swift kick up the arse in for kuyt at the mo, on the Bench; Jones,skirtle, Babel/Jova, Pacheco, Shelvey, Aurelio, Ngog,
      After yesterday's dire outing dropping Lucas, Poulsen Skirtle would send a message, perform as bad as that then you can warm the bench until a injury or a similar display puts you back on the pitch end of.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #740: Sep 13, 2010 09:26:02 pm
      Anyone remember this

Oooooooh oooohhhh we've got the best midfield in the world

We've got Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko, Gerrard and Mascheranoooo!!!

:f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah:

And now it is;

We've got the best midfield in the world...
      We've got Christian Poulsen
      Raul Meireles
      Gerrard
      And Lucas Leivaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

;D
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #741: Sep 13, 2010 10:07:41 pm
      Lads, we got a point away.
      You'd think we'd lost 4-0.
      No, we weren't great, but we've Kuyt, Cole and Meireles to come in.
      And SG and Torres aren't firing.
      So we can improve.
      Feels like we've picked up were last season left off, but gonna give Roy the benefit of the doubt.
      Time will tell.

Looking back at recent results against Birmingham, should''ve put a few bob on it ...

English-Premier-League-2010-2011
      Birmingham vs Liverpool 0:0

English-Premier-League-2009-2010
      Birmingham vs Liverpool 1:1
      Liverpool vs Birmingham 2:2

English-Premier-League-2007-2008
      Birmingham vs Liverpool 2:2
      Liverpool vs Birmingham 0:0

English-Premier-League-2005-2006
      Liverpool vs Birmingham 1:1
      Birmingham vs Liverpool 2:2
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #742: Sep 13, 2010 10:41:15 pm
      I had insomnia the other night, and watched some Xabi Alonso videos on YouTube and cried in to my pillow!

I think Poulsen was alright, but it is clear that he and Lucas don't belong together. I'd actually prefer Poulsen as he has a nicer ass.

Once Joe Cole is back I would immediately ship Gerrard in to the middle, and play a festive 4-3-2-1. The middle 3 would be Poulsen as the more defensive minded of the three, Meireles as the one to link defense and attack, and Gerrard more advanced, with Cole and the poo poo platter as the other attacking mid. I'm also imagining the width coming from our left and right backs.

You may say I'm a dreamer, and you'd be damned right.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #743: Sep 13, 2010 10:54:08 pm
      Calmed down now, but not much to say really. Saw the team sheet and got pretty much what I expected. Thought the changes were to little too late, once again, and thought the senior players were telling Roy something with their body language following his team selection and tactics.  Mabey he thinks he will play pretty much the same way as Rafa, but get more from the players due to his alleged superior man management. It aint working Roy, you will only score goals if you attack.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #744: Sep 14, 2010 12:42:21 am
      98 votes for Pepe :o
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #745: Sep 14, 2010 12:47:41 am
      Someone else has voted for Poulsen now ;D
      ashuras
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #746: Sep 14, 2010 04:02:44 am
      If RH is a choice, I will select him, he is the one who put Reina in front of the goal.. For some delusions, I thought he will select Brad Jones together with Lucas and Poulsen as first eleven..
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #747: Sep 14, 2010 07:26:32 am
      I had insomnia the other night, and watched some Xabi Alonso videos on YouTube and cried in to my pillow!

I think Poulsen was alright, but it is clear that he and Lucas don't belong together. I'd actually prefer Poulsen as he has a nicer ass.

Once Joe Cole is back I would immediately ship Gerrard in to the middle, and play a festive 4-3-2-1. The middle 3 would be Poulsen as the more defensive minded of the three, Meireles as the one to link defense and attack, and Gerrard more advanced, with Cole and the poo poo platter as the other attacking mid. I'm also imagining the width coming from our left and right backs.

Agree mate, it's worth to try that. I would like to see Jonjo with Cole just behind Torres. But best chance for him I think should be against Birmingham last game. Jonjo can use his height to benefit the team too and the lad is really prospect one for us.
      Until we can get someone the like of John Barnes or Macca we better avoid rely on wide men, used of poor wingers/wide men it's so far proved that's failed.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #748: Sep 14, 2010 01:41:09 pm
      Just watched the game.

Reina - star. Don't know what else to say about him.

Johnson - can attack. can't defend.

Konchesky - cheaper version of Johnson.

Carra - keeps me calm compared to Skrtel.

Skrtel - read above.

Poulsen - please leave. Now.

Lucas - nothing standout, nothing poor. Just an average game for a defensive midfielder.

Gerrard - his passing was woeful but he was shut down very well.

Maxi - i'd comment but i don't remember him doing much!

Milan - my problem with Yossi was he provided no width, as with MAxi on the left, so for a left footed left winger to not povide width is something.

Torres - nothing worked out for him. Bad day out.

We were pretty poor only because we didn't have that spark. Could of been worse, but really, with the attackers we had not one of them produced something i would be proud of.

Birmingham were thugs though at times. Going in late for a few challenges.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #749: Sep 14, 2010 01:50:30 pm
      Oh, and we had a penalty when Roger Johnson took Torres down.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #750: Sep 14, 2010 06:22:32 pm

That's right. 4-3-2-1 is what the best team in the world uses - I know they have Messi when we have Jovanovic, they have Xavi when we have Lucas, they have mascherano and we have Poulsen etc. but at least let's try to change. Anyway we have no wingers at the moment to play 4-2-3-1.
      *If we could get Martin O'Neill in January only to find us two proper wingers and say goodbye.
      *- means joke.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #751: Sep 14, 2010 10:12:05 pm
      Maxi - i'd comment but i don't remember him doing much!

This is the honest truth. On about the half hour mark, Maxi tried a kind of bicycle kick and fluffed it. Until that moment I'd actually completely forgotten he was playing!
      Even after that, there was only a couple of occasions when his name cropped up.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #752: Sep 15, 2010 11:45:58 am
      the only positives I can take out of that game was that

1) reina is amongst the top 10 keepers in the world
      2) we got a point (out performance didn't really desrve it tbh)

let's put it into perspective, all top4 teams managed a draw at st andrews last season, so it's not as bad as we think. the performance worried me though, we hardly created a chance.

ps: ;D who voted lucas as motm?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #753: Sep 15, 2010 11:50:18 am
      the only positives I can take out of that game was that

1) reina is amongst the top 10 keepers in the world

Off topic but in your opinion who are the 9 better?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #754: Sep 15, 2010 01:58:55 pm
      Off topic but in your opinion who are the 9 better?

the other 9 aren't necessarily better, my list would be (in no order) casillas, reina, cech, buffon, cesar, van de sar, adler, romero, frey, kameni
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #755: Sep 15, 2010 03:59:53 pm
      This game, it was a point earned because we played rubbish and should have lost.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #756: Sep 15, 2010 05:41:34 pm
      This is the honest truth. On about the half hour mark, Maxi tried a kind of bicycle kick and fluffed it. Until that moment I'd actually completely forgotten he was playing!
      Even after that, there was only a couple of occasions when his name cropped up.

I remember him taking a few passes in the middle, that bicycle kick and that is it out of the whole time he was out there.

Disappointed from him, because i think he's quality and should be starting most games on the right but Roy doesn't share the same view and this was a big chance for him to shine.

Looking back, Johnson's cross/cut back to Torres in the first half was our best chance and Torres should of scored. He fluffed a few actually, after intercepting a ball in the box that Gerrard was waiting to pounce on, and that shot from a tight angle when Gerrard was free for a tap in at the far post.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #757: Sep 15, 2010 10:51:43 pm
      Terrible performance. Lucas & Poulsen?, i don't know which one is the most sh*te, they are both F***ing useless. The season before last i could post a good match report even if we lost because we actually created chances, regardless of whether they were converted or not. This season is getting worse.

As for Lucas running a midfield?, please, he couldn't run a F***ing bath!. Reina and Konchesky were the only shining lights. I really hope that Roy isn't turning into Rafa, surely Roy knows that Lucas is sh*te. Did he buy Poulsen to try and make Lucas look better?.

Thanks to Reina we got a point, and that is purely down to Reina.

I really hope it's not going to be another season of whinging about the central midfield area again, i can't take it.

As for Maxi and Jovanovic, they were F***ing shocking too. And Glen Johnson, cut your F***ing hair you pansy!. There's nothing worse than seeing a grown man pushing his girly fringe back every 2 seconds, especially when thay should be concentrating on playing a football match. Torres used to do it, as did Berger and it really pisses me off!. Give the fuckers a skinhead so they can focus on their duties!.

As well as having a Man of The Match vote, how about a c**t of The Match vote too?.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #758: Sep 15, 2010 10:56:58 pm
      Terrible performance. Lucas & Poulsen?, I don't know which one is the most sh*te, they are both f**king useless. The season before last I could post a good match report even if we lost because we actually created chances, regardless of whether they were converted or not. This season is getting worse.

As for Lucas running a midfield?, please, he couldn't run a f**king bath!. Reina and Konchesky were the only shining lights. I really hope that Roy isn't turning into Rafa, surely Roy knows that Lucas is sh*te. Did he buy Poulsen to try and make Lucas look better?.

Thanks to Reina we got a point, and that is purely down to Reina.

I really hope it's not going to be another season of whinging about the central midfield area again, I can't take it.

As for Maxi and Jovanovic, they were f**king shocking too. And Glen Johnson, cut your f**king hair you pansy!. There's nothing worse than seeing a grown man pushing his girly fringe back every 2 seconds, especially when thay should be concentrating on playing a football match. Torres used to do it, as did Berger and it really pisses me off!. Give the fuckers a skinhead so they can focus on their duties!.

As well as having a Man of The Match vote, how about a C**t of The Match vote too?.

Brilliant!

Quick Reply