Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (87.4%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0.7%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (0.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (0.7%)
      Paul Konchesky
      (4.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (0.7%)
      Christian Poulsen
      (1.5%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (0%)
      Milan Jovanovich
      (1.5%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Fernando Torres
      (0%)
      Raul Meireles
      (2.2%)
      Daniel Agger
      (0%)

Birmingham 0-0 Liverpool: In-game & post-match midfield bashing

Read 63007 times
      neilo
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Re: Birmingham 0-0 Liverpool: In-game & post-match midfield bashing
      Reply #621: Sep 12, 2010 11:36:47 pm
      "I've got to say my expectations were not that high anyway. I would have been disappointed to lose the game but certainly not that disappointed to draw it."Roys words after the game I'm shocked to be honest he went   for a draw inspiring that no wonder he left the changes to late and only 2 of them he was happy with a point ffs. :mad:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #622: Sep 12, 2010 11:37:50 pm
      It's not just that though.  Gerrard isn't the same player he was two years ago when he banged 20-odd goals in.

And a lot of creativity comes from wings.  Look at Birmingham's crosses today.  We had F**k all in that department.

Yeh that is exactly what I mean JD, I class wingers and attacking midfielder as offensive players they are heavily reliant on the fluidity and the speed of the distribution from central midfield to create space for them as unfortunately we do not have Christiano Ronaldo's or Arjen Robben's who can beat their man with pace and trickery.

When the game is fluid and the ball is zipped around at pace it stretches the other teams, pulls them around and makes them lose shape, but when the game is slowed down by indecisive central midfielders, who'd rather play kick about with their central defenders, you lose that fluidity and it gives the opposition the chance to maintain their shape get two banks of four in front of you, thus making them a lot harder to break down.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010 11:44:19 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #623: Sep 12, 2010 11:43:51 pm
      The fact we had no out and out wingers and we play too narrow?

Was that a trick question?

Far from a trick question. The 2 lads we have there are well capable of doing a job there if they didnt come inside constantly. We have a proper left sided player in Jova the type of player you cant get, a left footed, left sided midfielder. I like him but his best work his done by turning his man inside rather then doing by him on the wing. Maxi offered fook all today but then again we dont exactly play like a team who want to get our wide men involved
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      Reply #624: Sep 12, 2010 11:46:08 pm
      "I've got to say my expectations were not that high anyway. I would have been disappointed to lose the game but certainly not that disappointed to draw it."Roys words after the game I'm shocked to be honest he went   for a draw inspiring that no wonder he left the changes to late and only 2 of them he was happy with a point ffs. :mad:

We havent won a league game there since Houllier was boss did you expect a 3 nil romp today?
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #625: Sep 12, 2010 11:48:57 pm
      Roy needs to re-calibrate his head. He is not managing Fulham. This is LFC. And we are not happy to draw against team such as Birmingham. Shitty delection in the midfield. WTF playing Pulsen and Lucas!!! and leaving Merieles on the bench... F**k this!
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #626: Sep 12, 2010 11:50:26 pm
      Poor result for Liverpool, one point thanks to Reina.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #627: Sep 12, 2010 11:51:11 pm
      What were you doing in manchetser?

Having a sh*t.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #628: Sep 12, 2010 11:52:58 pm
      Roy needs to re-calibrate his head. He is not managing Fulham. This is LFC. And we are not happy to draw against team such as Birmingham. Shitty delection in the midfield. WTF playing Pulsen and Lucas!!! and leaving Merieles on the bench... F**k this!

Not defending our new man but....

Birmingham at home is a fortress, we haven't beaten birmingham in the last 8.

They are unbeaten at home for 18 games now, thats impressive.

Meiereles hasn't played for Porto (former club) nothing he didn't feature at all, he then moved to us where we are expecting him to play? He isn't match fit and played in the week for portugal twice.

So he will feature against Steaua i'm sure of it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #629: Sep 12, 2010 11:55:46 pm
      Far from a trick question. The 2 lads we have there are well capable of doing a job there if they didnt come inside constantly. We have a proper left sided player in Jova the type of player you cant get, a left footed, left sided midfielder. I like him but his best work his done by turning his man inside rather then doing by him on the wing. Maxi offered fook all today but then again we dont exactly play like a team who want to get our wide men involved

Jovanovic isn't a winger.

He's a target man all day long.

Liverpool FC only have one winger and that's Glen Johnson who is playing in defence when he can't defend.

There wasn't a single acceptable cross from out wide today for us.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #630: Sep 12, 2010 11:59:07 pm
      All I can say is think Xabi Alonso, he knew where the ball was going before he even received it himself, think Poulson and Lucas, they have no idea what they are going to do with the ball the moment they receive it, it makes a great difference to your offensive play.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      Reply #631: Sep 13, 2010 12:02:28 am
      Jovanovic isn't a winger.

He's a target man all day long.

Liverpool FC only have one winger and that's Glen Johnson who is playing in defence when he can't defend.

As for the crosses you have me there bar Stevies in the second half but as per usual we had no in the box to get on the end of it

You dont have to be an out and out winger to do a job out wide

Agreed that Johnson is our best threat as a winger Ive posted that a few times with Kelly at right back

Your spot on about our crosses bar one from Stevie in the second half but as per usual we had no bodies in the box to get on the end of it
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #632: Sep 13, 2010 12:04:03 am
      I praise God,Allah and Buddha etc...That Reina is in net for LFC.  He made 2 of the greatest saves I have ever seen in one match. Those 2 saves he made from the headers were AMAZING!!!!.

His reaction was lightening fast. Unreal.  If we can take anything from today its that Reina has slowly become the best keeper in the EPL and probably the world.  But, what sucked was the fact that Reina had to be superhuman to keep that score 0-0.  It seemed that they played real streaky. I noticed that they would look great for 15 minutes and move the ball and attack and get some good opportunities to score then 1 second later they looked tired, bad passes, gave up to many opportunities, too many crosses and it seemed like every cross Birmingham would get a head or foot on it and send it towards the goal. We easily could of lost 3-0.

Finally....Next match w/ Birmingham.  Someone needs to step up and knock the F**k out of Ferguson.  He should of been carded 6-7 times. I dont know how he got away with some of those f***in shots he was giving but he is a nasty little f**ker.

SuperSami4
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #633: Sep 13, 2010 12:05:12 am
      I insist Lucas MUST retire from football..

Individually Lucas didn't have a bad game today at all. A disappointing team performance and somehow all you can take from it is the opportunity to blame him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #634: Sep 13, 2010 12:09:29 am
      Once again we have dropped points against a team we should be beating. Why we started with Lucas and Poulson i don't know, actually why we started with Poulson at all baffles me more when there was Raul?! I'm not impressed by Roy's words after the game either, saying it was important not to lose today with big games coming up. Big games coming up means we have to damn well make sure we win these types of games. His whole attitude so far has been like it was at Fulham, just don't lose and i will accept a draw - Rafa would have gotten slated until the cows come home if it was him!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #635: Sep 13, 2010 12:10:31 am

Konchesky put a decent ball in from the left which Torres miscontrolled.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      Reply #636: Sep 13, 2010 12:11:39 am
      Individually Lucas didn't have a bad game today at all. A disappointing team performance and somehow all you can take from it is the opportunity to blame him.

Really? I must watch again as I didnt see anything from him to suggest he's a prem league player let alone a Liverpool one. Watch in the first half were he smashes into the back of Poulsen as they both go for a header. To me thats Lucas Liverpool trademark only tackles he goes full in on and wins are against team mates!! Id sat he averages 1 a game 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      Reply #637: Sep 13, 2010 12:12:57 am

That was a super cross good shout
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #638: Sep 13, 2010 12:22:52 am

And Johnson put in a good one in the first half, great run, Torres poor shot wide of the post.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #639: Sep 13, 2010 12:24:36 am
      if stevie has a bad game plus torres we are mid table club. the stats are dismal after five games when are we going to score some goals. 12 shots on target after 5 games.changes needed any suggestions anyone
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #640: Sep 13, 2010 12:25:27 am
      And Johnson put in a good one in the first half, great run, Torres poor shot wide of the post.

Sums up the performance that in 90 minutes we can remember two decent crosses, one from either full back. Shows how ineffective our wingers were.

F**k, what would I give for a pacy winger who can go past somebody and whip a cross in.
      SuperSami4
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #641: Sep 13, 2010 12:28:23 am
      Really? I must watch again as I didnt see anything from him to suggest he's a prem league player let alone a Liverpool one. Watch in the first half were he smashes into the back of Poulsen as they both go for a header. To me thats Lucas Liverpool trademark only tackles he goes full in on and wins are against team mates!! Id sat he averages 1 a game 

Sorry, to correct myself, im not trying to say he played well, in my opinion only Reina played well for us today (and Mereiles for his cameo appearance). But i think he looked more comfortable on the ball than Poulsen did, and also won a couple of free kicks. I just don't agree with the way everyone is so quick to get on at Lucas.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      Reply #642: Sep 13, 2010 12:32:18 am
      Sorry, to correct myself, im not trying to say he played well, in my opinion only Reina played well for us today (and Mereiles for his cameo appearance). But I think he looked more comfortable on the ball than Poulsen did, and also won a couple of free kicks. I just don't agree with the way everyone is so quick to get on at Lucas.

I was you last year couldnt understand the jumping on his back. Now he should be comfortable in the premier league but hasnt progressed at all I see where people where coming from. Hes not up to it
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #643: Sep 13, 2010 12:33:12 am
      That performance was absolute dross.

Could not string more then 4 passes together all game, the body language of Torres and Gerrard said it all for me. Indicates another long and painful season ahead and I am not sure those 2 lads are ready to strap in for the ride.

Very very depressing watching that sh*t, not one shot on goal mustered in the first half and F**k me our first sub came in the 74th minute???? And they say Rafa left em late.

Quick Reply