Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool 4-1 Steaua Bucharest - In game and post match happiness

Read 41282 times
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 14 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Steaua Bucharest - In game and post match happiness
      Reply #414: Sep 16, 2010 10:41:05 pm
      Brilliant match.

We could have scored many more if Gerrard and Torres played.

Now let's just not play Poulsen against the Mancs. Please, lord. Please.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #415: Sep 16, 2010 10:49:04 pm
      Nice to see Maxi today, considering he was invisible last time out.
      « Last Edit: Sep 16, 2010 11:07:02 pm by redkenny »
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #416: Sep 16, 2010 10:58:35 pm
      The scoreline was flattering, but in fairness the lads owned the 2nd half. I can't wait to see Cole out there with Stevie and Nando, who always provide great movement.

Thought Spearing was boss. I wasn't too keen on his inclusion, but he acquitted himself well. All in all a decent performance.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #417: Sep 16, 2010 11:00:17 pm
      thanks. Am new in-here. I will go bacl and study the rules

Each team must start with 11 players, comprised of 1 goalkeeper plus 10 outfield players....

Oh wait, you mean forum rules?!
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #418: Sep 16, 2010 11:05:02 pm
      For a team that are not a settled side (yet) we done brilliant tonight.Just wish the mancsh**e game would of come a bit later on.I fear the worst (saying that I'm always wrong)
      Torres,Stevie ,Carra and co to come back will be interesting.Not sure how Roy plays it?Does he usually stick with players that are on form?If so he's got a big headache on for this weekend.So many wothy contenders in that performance.Joe Cole and Jay Spearing!Can't call it i.e. (mom).Special mention for Dani,so few minutes to show his skills and yet he did it.Come on Roy you issued the chalenge to the kid.Now give him his chance.

IRWT...
      MsGerrard
      Reply #419: Sep 16, 2010 11:22:08 pm
      Great result tonight, absolutely made up, we made that second half our own, I was a bit worried in the first half as they looked so dangerous on the break, and fair game to them for coming at us and not parking the bus, mind you, they had no choice with Joey Cole scoring inside the first minute.

But we bossed the second half and it was great to see us playing flowing football and playing for each other as well, some very good performances out there tonight. And we did it all without our two star men, who said we were a two man team  :roll:

I would have to make Joe Cole my man of the match, thought he was superb tonight, special mention as well to David N'Gog, Martin Kelly and Lucas goal was top of the shop  :gt-happyup:

Great stuff lads and will put them in buoyant mood for Sunday  ;)
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #420: Sep 16, 2010 11:29:00 pm
      Well the first has was a alright performance but second half was really good to watch. Babel did very well with his runs just needs to learn to shoot and pass at the right time, showed commitment though and could be handy off the bench against Man United. Cole should go straight into the team with a great performance from him. Agger did the usual solid in defence, brilliant in bringing the ball out. Kelly did well in getting forward and defence with all these games they give him vital experience and he will become an important player to us over the next few seasons. Konchesky looked good, no qualms with him we finally have a good left back, hurrah! Kryiagos defensively could of done better with the goal but won the penalty and made a nuisance of himself in their box. Reina just sound per normal.

Maxi, oh maxi very much invisible against Birmingham but did his shift today and did some great link up play today, he's going to be handy against Man United. Spearing, I must confess worry went through me when he appeared on the team sheet but he performance magnificently and has a future at the club if he keeps his performances up. Meireles...I liked what I saw simple but effective passing, superb pff ball movement, works all over the pitch makes Aqua going much easier to not miss. N'gog you deserve your plaudits you just keep putting the ball in the back of the net and his confidence must be rocking. Lucas boy what a glorious strike! Even had Stevie G chuffed! Hope we can see more of them, now show us what you've got. Pacheco and Eccleston was nice to see, some great touches and moments will do them good confidence and make the youngsters more eager to work harder.

Roy's Revolution has only just begun.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #421: Sep 17, 2010 12:09:27 am
      If Lucas is to stay at LFC he should play in a more advanced role. He failed at being a defensive midfielder for Liverpool, and should be given the chance to go forward or sold.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #422: Sep 17, 2010 12:10:29 am
      F***ing quality. Loved watching us tw*t them.

Captain Pepe was a spectator for the vast majority of the match.
      Kelly did a decent job especially that tackle down by the corner flag.
      Sotis did ok.
      Agger did ok.
      Konchesky grew as the game went on.
      Maxi was invisible. (actually think we're missing Kuyt)
      Spearing was very tidy and always looking for  the ball.
      Meireles didn't do a great deal but hopefully will come good.
      Babel was a disappointment again.
      Cole was involved in everything.
      Ngog took his goals well and should stay in the box not drift out to the wing where he's a liability.
      Lucas quality strike and still managed to give two fouls away within five minutes of coming on - gives everybody something to pin point.
      Pacheco didn't have enough time to do much.
      Eccelston didn't have enough time to do much.

Still buzzing.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #423: Sep 17, 2010 12:14:19 am
      Wasn't overly impressed but you can't argue withe scoreline.

Penalty turned the game for me.

Pleased for both Ngog and Lucas.

Two young lads on the scoresheet and Ngog has got a hugely impressive strike rate for the reds.

If we win all our home games we will go through. Simple.
      Jobo_El
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -14 
      Reply #424: Sep 17, 2010 12:41:52 am
      I just had a read through this thread and some of the earlier comments were a disgrace. Shame on those who knocked Lucas' substitution.

Tonight was the first time in God knows how long that I've actually enjoyed the match. Second half was superb and Joe Cole was outstanding.

Special mention for Raul.

P.SSpearing was ok but I thought the commentary was OTT.

Good stuff Roy - Keep it up
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #425: Sep 17, 2010 12:44:06 am
      Here Here
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #426: Sep 17, 2010 01:24:15 am
      I gave my half time Babel assessment ....and then good to see Woy get him off.
      Useless.

Ive never been a Lucas knocker. Hes doing OK now hes playing where he's happier.
      As the man on Channel 5 said in commentary at least he never moaned like Babel.

Cole was excellent ... MoM for me.
      NGog gets better every game.

Spearing played well.
      Wasnt that knocked out by Konchesky.

Anfield like a morgue till YNWA at the end. Thats a downer.

Result was what we needed pre Scum.
      Oh Yeah. Bring em on.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #427: Sep 17, 2010 01:31:22 am
      Useless.

Ive never been a Lucas knocker. Hes doing OK now hes playing where he's happier.

Spearing played well.

Oh Yeah. Bring em on.

I thought Babel didn't have that bad a game to be honest. Was quite pleased by him because there are so many games he plays in which he doesn't score where he is just dire. Today that wasn't the case.

And yes N'Gog scored a well taken penalty and another well taken goal but that cannot excuse how useless he was in posession. Dangerous in the box but utterly useless elsewhere around the field.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #428: Sep 17, 2010 01:33:12 am
      I loved watching Joey Cole score a savage goal and put in a shift and enjoy himself in the Red shirt...We are level on points with city and spurs and two behind Scum..wait till mereiles and cole are playin with stevie and nando :D
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #429: Sep 17, 2010 03:40:41 am
      yes this convincing win was done without torres and gerrad.  people might have negative things to say about david ngog but he has scored more goals than anyone else. not bad for a young guy his age.think he is just going to keep improving.hope this is start of a big turn around for the reds   
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #430: Sep 17, 2010 04:36:15 am
      Fuckinh hell another sh*te performance...oh wait! We won!!!!! :D

Chuffed to bits with that and totally didn't see the goal splurge coming. 

Well in Ngog for his double. Not the best footballing game from him but a great return and a lovely couple of strikes.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #431: Sep 17, 2010 05:57:36 am
      Great start with the early goal by Cole.  Thought that would be the beginning to a goal fest for us.  Than after they equalised they started to control and press us more and we started to fade away from the game.  Second half was much better performance and like crouchinho was not expecting that score line.

All in all a decent shift from the boys and hopefully this win builds the momentum for facing the scum.  How I'd love to see the sight of ManU fans leaving OT again when we won there last time.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #432: Sep 17, 2010 06:07:47 am
      Great second half for spirit. I thought Maxi was really good after the break. He is a clever footballer.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #433: Sep 17, 2010 08:20:57 am
      Useless.

Spearing played well.

Oh Yeah. Bring em on.
        I agree with your assessment and also think Babel was a liability, considering he is supposed to be showing Roy that he has got what it takes he did not make a very good fist of it.I thought Joe Cole  was excellent and the Lucas goal was a cracker.Considering the team we put out the result was a good one although we let them get back into the game in the first half.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #434: Sep 17, 2010 08:27:54 am
      I was working and only got to see the second half so my observations are based, only, on that.

I was impressed by the quick movement of the ball and off the ball - our midfield 'two' always looking for the pass and making themselves available. If they haven't staked a claim and given Roy food for thought then there's something wrong. What better 'excuse' not to start Compo & Clegg together again?

On the right: Kelly looked solid at the back and comfortable going forward; whilst Maxi did nothing outstanding. The same can be said about the left with Konchesky looking good and Babel just. ... well, being Babel (tho' no worse than Jovanovich). ...we really do have a need for dedicated wide men. On the right: maybe Johnson in front of Kelly? On the left: I don't know - Konchesky with maybe Cole?

Our centre halves looked as solid and reliable as Carra and Skrtel - maybe a by-product of us playing our football further up the pitch? It's always easier to defend on the front foot.

N'gog, I've always liked and always knew he'd come good - i'm chuffed for the lad and I'm well pleased for Lucas. Cole is a very talented footballer who's inclusion seems to demand movement from the players around him. My MoTM.

I'm a big fan of Pacheco so, naturally, I wanted to see more than six minutes of the lad.

You can only beat what's in front of you and I don't know how good Steaua are but (all in all) the lads looked eager to impress and solid.

What now? Well for me; Meireles, Kelly, Cole, Agger, Spearing and even Ngog showed enough to warrant a start against the Mancs so I await with baited breath. Over to you Roy... ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2010 08:47:39 am by bad boy bubby »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #435: Sep 17, 2010 08:44:37 am
      Anyone got a video of Pepe at the coin toss?

I had a beaming smile when i saw that, he looked so happy.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #436: Sep 17, 2010 08:49:56 am
      Anyone got a video of Pepe at the coin toss?

I had a beaming smile when I saw that, he looked so happy.
      He fully deserved to be captain,he has got his heart in this club so let us hope he stays for a long long time.

Quick Reply