Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Liverpool 4-1 Steaua Bucharest - In game and post match happiness

Read 41478 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Steaua Bucharest - In game and post match happiness
      Reply #437: Sep 17, 2010 09:08:24 am
      Only got to see the last 20 minutes, but *** shock *** it looks like we did well. 
      Great team selection from the manager, saving players for Sunday and still getting a great result. 

Made up for Spearing, I hope he will be our anchor man in the coming years. Kelly seemed to do very well, from what I saw of him.  I'd be happier with these two starting on Sunday than Poulsen and Johnson.
      Meireles seemed to be taking a fairly advanced position, meaning Roy will probably be play Lucas or Poulsen as a DM though :(
      Cole looked on fire, great run in the lead up to the goal by the Brazilian wonder-striker... erm... Lucas...? That can't be right, can it?   :P

However, I am worried that Roy mentioned that he rested Poulsen... please don't start him against Utd.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #438: Sep 17, 2010 09:12:35 am
      can we get the united thread reopened?
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #439: Sep 17, 2010 09:13:04 am
      I did not get the chance to watch the match but after reading all these great posts and gelling with my personal observation of the players, yes Kelly is ready to deputise Johnson and let's move Johnson to the wing and he can double up as a right back when needed. Since we don't have the dough to get a right winger, here we are a ready made right winger. Yes, happy to hear Lucas scores a cracker, he's not a natural defensive midfielder, Roy has to acknowledge that and move him out of that defensive role to be more effective. To continue to play Lucas as a defensive midfielder, he's going to be more of a liability than a help. N'gog, well N'gog being N'gog he does well when he's inside the box, that being the case put him full time inside the box to terrorise the defenders and create havoc and to score goals. He can continue to stumble and fall throughout the game but if he continues to score goals who cares.  

Judging from what I've read, the young lads are hungry, I hope Roy would give these youngster a chance, otherwise we'll never know how good they really are.  
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2010 10:04:32 am by redkop63 »
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #440: Sep 17, 2010 09:51:22 am
      Really enjoyed that win. Very proud of our youngsters, thought they were brilliant. Kelly deserves a much bigger role at this club, he's been brilliant every match he's played.

Oh, and that Lucas goal, wasn't expecting that. In fact i was expecting him to pass backwards at that stage. :f_tongueincheek:

Same kind of performance (and scoreline preferably) against the Mancs would be nice. I hope Roy has learnt something here. 
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #441: Sep 17, 2010 10:35:23 am
      second half was great to watch. the penalty did turn the game however. before that, i thought stau were playing well and keeping posession. but credit to the young lads for playing an attacking game and forcing the chances.

pleased for ngog, he's becoming a decent striker.
      merieles looked sharp and energetic. definitely should be our first choice of holding midfielder.
      cole is class, simple.
      lucas did not score that goal. someone pretending to be him did. only logical answer :)

roy should stick with this side for the rest of europa league adventure. no point in risking nando/stevie for a cup that is not our priority and it also gives youngsters a chance to get a run of games. i thought kelly and spearing did well and they need these competitions to develop.

good night for us.
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #442: Sep 17, 2010 10:37:47 am
      If the scum are booted out, and the squad improved massively, I think Kelly and Johnson down the right in coming yrs could be interesting. Shame we have zero down the left. Or in the middle, or alongside Torres.. Or at the back.. or...well anyway.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #443: Sep 17, 2010 10:46:48 am
      Anfield like a morgue till YNWA at the end. Thats a downer.

Fields of Anny Road at the beginning, well within the 1st 5 minutes, thats abar it.

was devvoed to see Anfield empty aswell on a European night, but the protest is taking effect hopefully ;D

SuperSami4
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #444: Sep 17, 2010 10:50:56 am
      Just had a chance to see the goals there. I <3 Lucas.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #445: Sep 17, 2010 10:52:02 am
      If the scum are booted out, and the squad improved massively, I think Kelly and Johnson down the right in coming yrs could be interesting. Shame we have zero down the left. Or in the middle, or alongside Torres.. Or at the back.. or...well anyway.
      yeah because gerrard is sh*t and so is Cole??? and would you give raul a chance!!!!!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #446: Sep 17, 2010 10:52:17 am

;D harsh. let me lighten your mood.

zero in middle - gerrard, cole and potentially merieles
      at the back - agger, johnson, skrtl and carra

agree for left and alongside torres though. i like the idea of kelly playing right back with gj pushing up right mid. gj cannot defend but he's a good attacker, it makes sense.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #447: Sep 17, 2010 10:59:14 am
      Only got to see the last 20 minutes, but *** shock *** it looks like we did well.  
      Great team selection from the manager, saving players for Sunday and still getting a great result.

Yeah, pure sh*te and all as Steauea were; Roy still had to pick eleven players to beat that sh*te. What a man!

Getting the balance right between the players that Roy "saved for Sunday" and those who definitely warrant inclusion, on merit, (on last night's performance), is a nice problem to have.

I'm sure whoever Roy picks to plays will have played together, to some extent, in training - let's just trust they can translate whatever understanding they have from the training pitch to Manchester. Come on the Redmen!

wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #448: Sep 17, 2010 11:08:03 am
      look hope roy can shake up the big two who are unperforming this season ngog should be ahead of torres in pecking order on form
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #449: Sep 17, 2010 11:21:55 am
      Thoroughly enjoyed the second half....first half..not so much. Hope we play more like the second half on sunday!!
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #450: Sep 17, 2010 11:26:49 am
      Surprised theres some negative discussion around Babel..

Actually thought he had a decent game last night myself, sure he wasted some decent opportunities by running in to brick walls, but Id prefer to see our wing men actually attempt to take players on, even if they dont produce the final ball every time. Something our wingers have forgotten how to do that within the last few seasons.

Thought his movement was decent, had a few shots and most of the attacking play involved him.

Would have to disagree with the commentator about him moaining about playing him on the left, Cole came out a couple of weeks ago and said he would prefer to play in the hole behind the striker, I wouldn't class that as moaning. Just pointing out your preffered position.

Dont think he did his cause any harm last night.

Second half performance from the team was best of seen in a while, against a pretty decent team considering.
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2010 12:52:06 pm by Dannylfc »
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #451: Sep 17, 2010 11:42:55 am
      Have to say i bloody enjoyed that second half.

That 11 would have had a better go at birmingham IMO.

Love seeing some of the fringe players getting involved in a good win like that, really good for confidence. Ngog might still have his haters but he's starting to bang the goals in, and that makes you a valuable striker. I just hope he gets some sort of chance against Man U.
      And once again we see Lucas given some attacking freedom and he shows what he can do!
      I just hope we build on that performance because too many times last season, we played like that and then dropped points in the next 3 games.
      YNWA
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #452: Sep 17, 2010 12:03:12 pm
      I caught the second half of the game pleased with Spearing's performance he's improved. I've always been a fan of N'gog, I just wonder what that side would've gotten had we had Aquilani.

I loved seeing those empty seats that made my night.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #453: Sep 17, 2010 12:04:01 pm
      20,000 empty seats at Anfield last night. Well done to those who sent a powerful message to the owners. Not A Penny More
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #454: Sep 17, 2010 12:15:39 pm
      Yay!!!!!! well done the lads that second half was quality even though many of super star were not playing i think the lads did there chances the world of good.

Joe Cole for me played a gem of a game looking better and better looking forward to an attacking force with Gerrard and Torres playing and gelling with him.

Lucas, what a screamer, great goal, thats what we want from the lad dont be scared to try something different and to have a crack!!

Kelly, Spearing looking more confident everytime I see them, which I think is great to see!

We did not look great in the first half but once we got into the game and start keeping hold of the ball we dominated and that is our problem is we dont keep hold of the ball enough.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #455: Sep 17, 2010 12:21:51 pm

Nice one Xabi :)

I dream of the day when Rafa comes back and brings Alonso with him :(
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #456: Sep 17, 2010 01:02:37 pm

Nice one Xabi :)

I dream of the day when Rafa comes back and brings Alonso with him :(

Think it would be one or the other to be honest.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #457: Sep 17, 2010 01:50:39 pm
      Good result last night,the only complaint was that the officials of the club let quite a few Steaua fans in the lower Centenary Stand which may have caused a few problems luckily nothing happened.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #458: Sep 17, 2010 01:58:40 pm
      Good performance last night, haven't read through all the posts in the topic, but I can guess Spearing got a lot of praise. I bet it's been said that we didn't need Poulson because we have him. I'd agree with them comments!
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #459: Sep 17, 2010 02:17:24 pm

Still have not seen a positive post from you yet. nothing down the left? I thought Konchesky did well last night. I suppose Gerrard, Meireles and Cole, Pacheco in the middle and off Torres do not cut it for you either.

and we deffo need to get rid of the ametuers at the back such as carra, agger, skrtel, wilson, ayala etc!

Good permormance from Spearing last night also.
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2010 02:23:22 pm by Don77 »

Quick Reply