Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you have as our first choice right back?

Glen Johnson
      57 (30%)
      Martin Kelly
      133 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Johnson or Kelly

Read 36777 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Johnson or Kelly
      Sep 19, 2010 06:05:53 am
      I see people on this everyday picking their strongest XI with Martin Kelly ahead of Glen Johnson...I cant remember who but in the match thread I saw somebody picking Kelly ahead of Johnson vs United :)
      This makes me laugh...  Ok, Kelly has potential, but lads he has played very few games in first team and most against mediocre opposition.. He has done nothing to justify being picked ahead of Johnson so lads just because he is a talent we are bringing through, does not give him a given right to be great..
      Some people on this are so thick and silly and one minded, it annoys me :)

PLEASE GET A GRIP!!! MARTIN KELLY VS JOHNSON!!! Johnson at moment is FAR superior!!  :-*

I can now happily say I prefer Kelly
      « Last Edit: Apr 16, 2011 08:18:03 am by PGlynn91 »
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Re: Johnson or Kelly
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2010 06:08:50 am
      Double thread, plus you could discuss it in the match thread.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #2: Sep 19, 2010 06:10:33 am
      DFouble thread?? Yeah it came up twice.. Dunno why??
      No, this is seperate ..
      This is comparing two players!!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Sep 19, 2010 06:18:31 am
      It's a F***ing opinion, and to be fair to Kelly he has been quite impressive. Now i would still pick Johnson, but Kelly has been impressive enough that i do not blame people for choosing one over the other.

Don't be a pr**k and call people thick just for choosing one player, who is a talented youngster, over another - when you are starting a thread to ask people which you think you want. It's like saying 'This or this - but if you choose this then you're a F***ing idiot'

I can't wait for when corbally sees this thread either :roll:
      nlong
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #4: Sep 19, 2010 07:01:07 am
      Well said bigvYNWA

The OP is the 1 who clearly needs to get a grip over his small penis syndrome
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #5: Sep 19, 2010 07:51:00 am
      Johnson would sneak it for me bacause he offers a litle more going forward, but i think Kelly is one of the best young talents we have. Reminds me of a young Steve Finnan. I wouldn't be too worried if Kelly was picked in that position, as he can play anywhere along the back line.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #6: Sep 19, 2010 08:14:38 am
      How can you call someone thick for opting for Kelly over Johnson?  :roll:

For todays game, playing Kelly right back with Johnson in front would be a good option IMO.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #7: Sep 19, 2010 08:39:37 am
      How can you call someone thick for opting for Kelly over Johnson?  :roll:

For todays game, playing Kelly right back with Johnson in front would be a good option IMO.

Then you're THICK ;D
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #8: Sep 19, 2010 08:47:52 am
      Cheers Orchard  ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Sep 19, 2010 09:03:49 am
      I was one of those who selected Kelly at fullback. If you bothered to look at the formation you would have seen Johnson still in the team. . . As a winger. Its a position he played in the latter stages of his Portsmouth career. Why did they play him there? Because he overs more going forward than he does as a defender. I would like my defenders to defend. Therefor I would start both with Kelly as the right back and Johnson as the winger. . . But Im not the manager so Johnson will continue at right back being good going forward and being a defensive liability. Maybe we could play two defensive midfield players to compensate ;)
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #10: Sep 19, 2010 09:38:32 am
      kelly, never put a foot wrong.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Sep 19, 2010 09:58:57 am
      I was one of those who selected Kelly at fullback. If you bothered to look at the formation you would have seen Johnson still in the team. . . As a winger. Its a position he played in the latter stages of his Portsmouth career. Why did they play him there? Because he overs more going forward than he does as a defender. I would like my defenders to defend. Therefor I would start both with Kelly as the right back and Johnson as the winger. . . But Im not the manager so Johnson will continue at right back being good going forward and being a defensive liability. Maybe we could play two defensive midfield players to compensate ;)
      To be honest, and i know most people will disagree, but i would have Johnson wide on the right ahead of Maxi today! It could also help stop UTD attacking down the wing, as Maxi is less likely to track back than Johnson.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #12: Sep 19, 2010 10:32:01 am
      How can you call someone thick for opting for Kelly over Johnson?  :roll:

Echoes my thoughts. I'm THICK. Johnson in front of Kelly will be very interesting. Johnson as a winger and double up as a wing-back, why not? No need to go and shop for a winger now, not that we have the dough to do it. Johnson ahead of Maxi, also agreed here, Johnson is definitely faster than Maxi. Only wishful thinking, don't think Roy would dare to do it.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #13: Sep 19, 2010 10:56:15 am
      I'm a big fan of Kelly, he has those confidence that one may not have noticed that he's a second stringer if one does not watch us regularly. Yes, he'll make mistakes along the way, who wouldn't, even our seasoned players do and those mistakes will make Kelly a much better player. Not that I've seen Carra yelling at Kelly, meaning he's doing fine, otherwise he'll get a good walloping from Carra by now. Time to give our second stringers exposure to prepare them to take over from the seniors in future, which will also make our bench stronger.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Sep 19, 2010 11:10:00 am
      Ludicrious anyone who would be picking Kelly over Johnson. Kelly has potential that is all he is yet to become a regular at England U-21 level. Will Kelly be better than Johnson that is questionable but he is no where near it at the moment.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #15: Sep 19, 2010 11:11:10 am
      Johnson is obviously better at defending (although not that much) and attacking. But who would I rather have at right back? Probably Kelly. Just because I'd rather see Johnson pushed further up into right wing, him and Kelly down the right would be decent.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #16: Sep 19, 2010 11:24:03 am
      Johnson has never played right midfield in his career there is a reason for that, it is a specialized position and he doesn't have the game intelligence for there.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Sep 19, 2010 11:29:55 am
      Your wrong Corbally. He played there for Portsmouth and was excellent
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #18: Sep 19, 2010 11:31:44 am
      Johnson has never played right midfield in his career there is a reason for that, it is a specialized position and he doesn't have the game intelligence for there.

He did in a 3-5-2 at Pompey quite a few times.
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #19: Sep 19, 2010 11:34:36 am
      personally i think glen johnson could be our answer for a great winger, we should try him at right wing and give Kelly a go at right back , glen great going forward but not the best defensively

just my opinion and im not the manager
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Sep 19, 2010 11:34:44 am
      If he did it was only 1 or 2 games at the most, the season your referring to he was right back on the Premiership team of the season.

As I said yesterday he could be a good wing back but like Alves and Maicon there is a misconception attacking full backs can play wide midfield they can't.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #21: Sep 19, 2010 11:44:05 am
      I agree with the first post and would have used a much more offensive word than "Thick" to describe my feelings towards those who currently rate Kelly above Johnson.. ;D.

Fair enough there was a few posters who had both Kelly AND Johnson in their starting 11 but there was also a lot of fans (who are now backtracking/not commenting) who openly said Kelly is a better player??..
      This idiotic notion (in such a black and white way of thinking) that Johnson is defensively inept is a joke.. Yes he's been caught out a couple times but no more than any high level right back.
      Going forward from that position there aren't many better footballers but that doesn't automatically mean he's a "liability" at the back..

I too would very much love for our youngsters to come through but refuse to exaggerate their progress...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: Sep 19, 2010 11:44:46 am
      Both.

Quick Reply