Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you have as our first choice right back?

Glen Johnson
      57 (30%)
      Martin Kelly
      133 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Johnson or Kelly

Read 36773 times
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Re: Johnson or Kelly
      Reply #23: Sep 19, 2010 11:46:21 am
      If he did it was only 1 or 2 games at the most, the season your referring to he was right back on the Premiership team of the season.

As I said yesterday he could be a good wing back but like Alves and Maicon there is a misconception attacking full backs can play wide midfield they can't.

during the world cup i dont think Dani Alves played at all at right back , maicon was ahead off him. Dani Alves come on to the right wing and i though he played quite well !!!!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #24: Sep 19, 2010 11:54:03 am
      Did Dani Alves start at right midfield and you might find if you check Alves career he started at right midfield but it wasn't till he was pushed to right back that he became a £30 million pound player.

Complete misconception between some people that attacking full backs can play wide midfield. By the way Chico excellant post.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #25: Sep 19, 2010 11:59:57 am
      Why not accomodate the two, Cannot see why Johnson cannot play Right midfield, as his attacking capabilities far outweigh his defensive one's. But Kelly can play behind him for sure
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #26: Sep 19, 2010 12:09:17 pm
      For me, Kelly is a better all round player although he is less developed. His defending seems better than Johnson's and his attacking isn't far off, however he is less experienced.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: Sep 19, 2010 12:20:22 pm
      Can't believe anyone really thinks that really can't. Has Kelly even 10 first team starts and people are talking about him being better than the England number 1 in that position.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #28: Sep 19, 2010 12:25:02 pm
      I actually think Johnson is one of our best creative/attacking players on the pitch. I also believe that we played our best football with a solid, if not spectacular, back four. Aligned with one defensive and one creative midfielder. Freeing up four players in attack at the head of the 4-2-3-1. Ill accept it is not a given for Glen to work in our system as one of the attacking four, but I would try it in some games. Otherwise we need to play three midfielders with a different dynamic. Play Glen as right back by all means but then have Stevie, Lucas and Raul in front of the back four
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #29: Sep 19, 2010 12:31:02 pm
      With played our best attacking football when we didn't have 2 defensive midfielders in the centre, when we had Alonso ditating the game. Having Johnson at Full back with Alonso in midfield would have been a revelation with Alonso cross field balls.

I don't understand why it is okay for every other top team in Europe to play attacking full backs but we should change our system if we do.

That is not how Inter, Barc, Real, Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal play. They play attacking full backs in a flat back four.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: Sep 19, 2010 12:36:15 pm
      I would start him with a 4-3-3. Dont think 4-2-3-1 works as well without Alonso. I would line out a 4-1-2-3 for the players we have now. Im not saying I dont rate Glen either
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #31: Sep 19, 2010 12:38:01 pm
      Where would you play Johnson in that racer
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: Sep 19, 2010 12:45:24 pm
      In that formation Glen would be right back for me. If we played 4-4-1-1 I would try Kelly at RB and Glen at RM but for a 4-1-2-3 I would play Glen at RB. He was one of our better players last year. To finish that formation I would have Lucas/Poulson with Stevie and Raul in the centre. Cole, Torres and Maxi up front. If Roy gives it a few games we will destroy teams with that
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Sep 19, 2010 12:54:52 pm
      As much as I really liked Kelly every single time he played, I wouldn't go as far as saying he should already be a regular starter. Keep giving him chances but there's no reason to rush it - Johnson is a very good player too.

People should remember a certain guy called Emiliano Insua. He was great and everybody loved him when he was backup, playing the odd match when needed. We all know how it changed after he was given the responsibility of being our nº1 left back too soon...
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #34: Sep 19, 2010 12:58:25 pm
      People need to remember what happened with Insua. We all thought he was going to be brilliant, then injuries forced us to play him, to much, to soon, lost all confidence and then fans turned against him, now he's on loan and in all probability he will be sold.

Kelly needs to be broken in, a few league games, all cup games and a couple in the Europa league, then next season give him more responsibility with more league games etc.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Sep 19, 2010 01:02:25 pm
      That is a great example, people expect massive things after only seeing players a couple of times. If Kelly played today and was sh*t and was at fault for a goal, people would be saying he was sh*t and why didn't Johnson play.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 259 
      Reply #36: Sep 19, 2010 01:13:09 pm
      I was one of those who selected Kelly at fullback. If you bothered to look at the formation you would have seen Johnson still in the team. . . As a winger. Its a position he played in the latter stages of his Portsmouth career. Why did they play him there? Because he overs more going forward than he does as a defender. I would like my defenders to defend. Therefor I would start both with Kelly as the right back and Johnson as the winger. . . But Im not the manager so Johnson will continue at right back being good going forward and being a defensive liability. Maybe we could play two defensive midfield players to compensate ;)

Great racer mate, I too said for long time to put GJ on wide attacking rather than rb, many times already proved that GJ's defensive was terrible. Just until someone manage to improve his defensive performance play Kelly at rb is better, imho.
      And as our present right wide attacking player available, Maxi/Kuyt/Amoo I believed GJ better than them all.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #37: Sep 19, 2010 01:19:46 pm
      Today you would have to go with experience and Johnson, but Kelly is coming close
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Sep 19, 2010 03:49:56 pm
      I wouldn't start him every game, but definitely play him from the start more often. Glen needs a massive boot up the arse to know he's not unbeatable in our side.

Kelly should be starting once in every three or so games i feel. He's shown more than enough to warrant it and Glen has shown little enough to deserve it.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #39: Sep 19, 2010 03:57:56 pm
      Poll added.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #40: Sep 19, 2010 04:03:06 pm
      Well after today Johnson shouldn't get near the team !!
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #41: Sep 19, 2010 04:10:13 pm
      Well after today Johnson shouldn't get near the team !!
      Caps being used. Spelling correct. Mod's are we allowed an opinion
      on Johnson being a sh*te defender?
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #42: Sep 19, 2010 04:33:10 pm
      Thought  Konchesky  had a mare of a game. Johnson wasn't much better but why doesn't somebody tell Johnson to get a new hairband or his dreadlocks cut as everytime you saw him he was tucking his dreadlocks back into place.  I know what the great Mr Shankly would have told him what to do.
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #43: Sep 19, 2010 04:51:50 pm
      Johnson is a poor defender simple as that ditto Konchesky ,don't think the both of them stopped any crosses coming in all game which puts a defence that's lacking in height under pressure ,we will probably have to score 2/3 goals to win games as we will leak goals aplenty all season
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #44: Sep 19, 2010 05:07:36 pm
      This is the same knee jerk reaction that called for Dossena to be shipped out because we had Insua.  How many people are actively involved in the training and development of young players?  I'll admit, my experience is very limited (I work with 11-15 year olds) but there's a ton of people with relative potential who fail to materialise and a ton of players without potential who do materialise.

Take Ivica Olic for example, he's an attacker who plays as part of a two man strike force but defends more than he attacks.  Constantly drops deep to win balls, hassle opponents and to provide the link between midfield and attack (which allows a 4-4-2 to work at a high level of football).  Things aren't as clear cut in modern football - our last playmaker was a defensive midfielder.  Players allowed to create opportunities from deep are more of a threat.  We play 2 DMs to offset this, Johnson for me!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: Sep 19, 2010 06:30:45 pm
      Hillarious stuff in here, Giggs didn't touch the ball today Johnson was solid defensively and Burley was saying at half time he was our best attacking outlet and people are calling for Kelly I'm going to keep a mental note of those calling for Kelly in the possibility Johnson gets an injury because I'm going to see how long it takes ye to turn on Kelly like ye did with Insua in the same position.

Kelly has potential for the future but not yet, not really sure if he is a right back either I think he is more a centre half. I have to say very good post vitez you show an excellant understanding of the tactical side of the game.

Quick Reply