Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you have as our first choice right back?

Glen Johnson
      57 (30%)
      Martin Kelly
      133 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Johnson or Kelly

Read 36772 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Re: Johnson or Kelly
      Reply #483: Apr 11, 2011 02:39:03 pm
      We'll agree to disagree here mate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #484: Apr 11, 2011 02:49:49 pm
      Kelly is a young lad with no experience who in my opinion will burn out if he is given 38 games a season ahead of johnson next year. We also risk losing johnson who won't be happy sitting on the bench, but his attacking skills are certainly an asset to us so its something we can't do.

I have to agree with DLS on this point as if a professional footballer can't play 38 games a season then they shouldn't be playing football. I think a lot of times these days it is over exaggerated how 'tired' players are and managers use it as an excuse sometimes to rest a player.

Also if Glen Johnson is not happy on the bench then that's his problem. We should be playing the best player for each position on form and also should be looking to buy the best players we can and if current players cant accept that or fight for their place then they can move on.

Both players have their merits, Kelly is better defensively while Johnson is much more attack minded although having said that I've not had any problems with Kellys attacking game this season.
      Fowler_is_God
      • Banned

• 27 posts |
      Reply #485: Apr 11, 2011 03:10:06 pm
      It doesn't matter how physically fit you are as a person, if you're playing football/running every day in training and then playing 38 games a season from August - May, at the modern pace of the premiership, you're going to have to have a rest somewhere a long the way or you will burn out anyway. The body needs a rest. Its easy for people to sit there in their armchairs whilst eating some wotsits and drinking iron bru saying footballers should be able to run marathon after marathon but they just can't. Footballers aren't robots.

My guess, after he has already suffered some nasty injuries in his career, that Kelly would struggle coping with such a demand, playing that much football. He hasn't experienced anything like it in his life before. He got a run of 10 games and already injured himself, putting him out for months.

So again, Im not saying I want to change the back line every game, but regarding johnson and kelly id like to see johnson in 25 games or so and kelly in the rest against certain opposition.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #486: Apr 11, 2011 03:14:15 pm
      It doesn't matter how physically fit you are as a person, if you're playing football/running every day in training and then playing 38 games a season from August - May, at the modern pace of the premiership, you're going to have to have a rest somewhere a long the way or you will burn out anyway. The body needs a rest. Its easy for people to sit there in their armchairs whilst eating some wotsits and drinking iron bru saying footballers should be able to run marathon after marathon but they just can't. Footballers aren't robots.

They aren't robots I'll agree but 38 games is about one a week over the course of a season and I'm sorry but if a professional footballer cant cope with that there is something wrong.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #487: Apr 11, 2011 03:20:30 pm

My guess, after he has already suffered some nasty injuries in his career, that Kelly would struggle coping with such a demand, playing that much football. He hasn't experienced anything like it in his life before. He got a run of 10 games and already injured himself, putting him out for months.

So again, Im not saying I want to change the back line every game, but regarding johnson and kelly id like to see johnson in 25 games or so and kelly in the rest against certain opposition.

No but these footballers are super fit, eating the best food possible, best diets, best phyiso and medical people around them, best conditioning on football pitches that are in prime condition and in a sport where tackling is nigh on impossible.

Yesteryear when players were on 40 a day and 20 pints a week, playing on mud baths with big F**k off leather balls and having players like Billy Bremner or Ron Harris up your arse kicking lumps out of you. They never complained about being tired or over worked. F***ing hell, we won the League using 14 players I think it was 78/79.

Today, the players are too pampered. If they can't last the distance of a whole season then F**k me we are in trouble. The amount of time they get off is unreal. I'd love to only have to work for an hour a half at a time. And possibly a few hours training every week - F***ing piss easy job. Especially when picking up 80k a week to do it.
      Fowler_is_God
      • Banned

• 27 posts |
      Reply #488: Apr 11, 2011 03:25:43 pm
      Well go and kick off at Martin Kelly and ask him why his hamstring went then. Premiership footballers should never pull muscles or feel tired ever!
      Fowler_is_God
      • Banned

• 27 posts |
      Reply #489: Apr 11, 2011 03:28:01 pm
      They aren't robots I'll agree but 38 games is about one a week over the course of a season and I'm sorry but if a professional footballer cant cope with that there is something wrong.

It depends what genes you have, it has nothing to do with fitness.

Some players are just injury prone and can't last the distance, its not their fault, they were born with what they have. Other players could play 3 times a week for a season and not feel any affect at all.

Kelly is one player who that IN MY OPINION would suffer. A run of 10 games and he's out already. Speaks volumes.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #490: Apr 11, 2011 03:32:14 pm
      It depends what genes you have, it has nothing to do with fitness.

Some players are just injury prone and can't last the distance, its not their fault, they were born with what they have. Other players could play 3 times a week for a season and not feel any affect at all.

Kelly is one player who that IN MY OPINION would suffer. A run of 10 games and he's out already. Speaks volumes.

If it was injury prone, it'd be someone who couldn't put five games together - not 10 like Kelly. And hamstring injuries can hit anybody at any time, regardless of how much/little you've played. His hamstring went because he overstretched for a ball, if he'd whipped it in rather than take that extra touch he may still be our right back right now.

Injury prone players are those like Aurelio, Agger, Torres, Owen. Those who whenever they play, get injured. I don't think either Aurelio or Agger have played 10 games in a row in the last 2 seasons have they?
      Fowler_is_God
      • Banned

• 27 posts |
      Reply #491: Apr 11, 2011 03:49:54 pm
      I could be completely wrong DLS, its just my predicition that kelly wouldnt last a season if he was made our first choice right back if you like.

He has a injury record and he blew out after a small run into the team. Doesn't look great to me.

Strecthed for the ball? I thought he was sprinting towards the byline and collapsed. Doesn't matter anyway, hes still out after playing 10 games in what, 3-4 seasons?

If you want MK to play 38 games a season next year as our right back then fair enough, thats your opinion. I think we'd get torn apart if that was the case though. I keep using him as an example but just like Insua got torn apart too.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #492: Apr 11, 2011 03:57:52 pm
      Are you still blaming Kelly for the goal against Wigan by the way?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #493: Apr 11, 2011 03:58:52 pm
      There is some mileage in the footballers of today are pampered statement and some cases are more obvious than others, as DLS said years ago the likes of Bremner and Tommy Smith used to kick lumps out of each other week in week out and try and move the dead weight casey around the pitch.
      There is a contrast here involving the training techniques or otherwise of todays players and their forerunners. Todays players do have exhaustive scientifically based training regimes which by their very nature require 100% commitment,players of yesteryear also had commitment but in a more physical sense and the idea of them jousting in todays football arena is not really feasible.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #494: Apr 11, 2011 04:22:56 pm
      If you want MK to play 38 games a season next year as our right back then fair enough, thats your opinion. I think we'd get torn apart if that was the case though. I keep using him as an example but just like Insua got torn apart too.

Insua might have got torn apart as you say but I've seen every game Kelly has played for us this season and he was almost always one of the best players on the pitch.

Injuries aside, what makes you think that Kelly can't cope with playing against the same opposition next season? He has been excellent so far and unlike Insua has never looked out of his depth in the first team.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #495: Apr 11, 2011 04:46:45 pm
      Johnson won't be on the bench next season will bet anyone on here that is the case anyone that thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #496: Apr 11, 2011 04:55:02 pm
      Johnson as far as I'm concerned never earnt the right to play permanently at right back. His form at left back has been very very good and it looks like in that position he's finally paying off the inflated figure of his transfer price. Genius move by Kenny to move him to left back but who's the better choice for right back there's no question. Martin Kelly.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #497: Apr 11, 2011 05:04:02 pm
      I think Kelly might and should be getting looked at more as a Centerback. As our standings improve and we require more offensive impetus, Johnson is a far better option in the attacking part of the field than Kelly. Kelly has been one hell of a F***ing revelation at the position, however, and the fact that he's been so good at his age is great. I just think it might better to see him play his natural spot.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #498: Apr 11, 2011 05:10:35 pm
      Glen Johnson without doubt will be our right back next season, as I said I'll bet anyone on here that is the case and if the owners like reported and Comoli do use the moneyball system Johnson will be a regular at the club for many years to come.

To many on here are to quick to write off stats now stats which are being used by all the top clubs around Europe at the moment, and prefer to go with myths being protrayed by the media.

It makes me laugh when I hear people say he has cost us loads of goals when I ask which ones they post Jamie Kanwar articles blaming him for a goal against Arsenal last year.

But shouldn't really surprise me I've seen people on here attempt to blame him for every single goal we conceed from giving a throw in away to people losing defenders in the box other than him.

If Kelly put in some of the performances Johnson has certain people on here would want him knighted. And before people get up on there high horse I rate Kelly and think he has a future but he is not better at the moment than the current England right back according to my eyes and the stats also show this.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #499: Apr 11, 2011 06:26:07 pm
      I think Kelly might and should be getting looked at more as a Centerback. As our standings improve and we require more offensive impetus, Johnson is a far better option in the attacking part of the field than Kelly. Kelly has been one hell of a f**king revelation at the position, however, and the fact that he's been so good at his age is great. I just think it might better to see him play his natural spot.

Kelly's physique certainly looks perfect for centre back. Like yourself I think in time he should be moved to centre back but learning your trade at fullback I feel is where the the confidence, skills and experience can be gained. Look at Jamie Carragher. Seemed to spend most his time at full back before Rafa arrived but then Rafa moved him to centre back and he was a revelation. I think a main reason for that was the skills he learnt at right back.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #500: Apr 11, 2011 06:56:41 pm
      Johnson won't be on the bench next season will bet anyone on here that is the case anyone that thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

Sad then IMO.

Kelly has performed better than Johnson but at this club we have this horrible habit of putting reputation ahead of actual performances.

Hoping Kenny changes that next season.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #501: Apr 11, 2011 06:58:36 pm
      The fans favour the local lad rather than the better player, understandable though, but why the manager will go with the better player every time. Looking at Kennys comment about Johnson he obviously rates him very highly
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #502: Apr 11, 2011 07:00:40 pm
      The fans favour the local lad rather than the better player, understandable though, but why the manager will go with the better player every time. Looking at Kennys comment about Johnson he obviously rates him very highly

Doesn't mean sh*t though. Kenny branded Lucas 'vital' to the team yet that debate still goes on.

Right now let's be happy to see a prospect coming through whether it be on the right or at centre back, replacing Glen or Carra or whoever.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #503: Apr 11, 2011 07:01:57 pm
      He's also praised Spearing. Doesn't mean he'll be first choice next season. I think Kelly has been better then Johnson this season and I hope Kelly gets the right back role next season.

Also congrats on 10,000 corballyred
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #504: Apr 11, 2011 07:02:01 pm
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #505: Apr 11, 2011 10:36:26 pm
      might want to add flanagan to the poll :)

Quick Reply