Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool 2-2 Northampton (2-4 on pens): In game and Post Match anger

Read 85401 times
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Northampton (2-4 on pens): In game and Post Match anger
      Reply #1242: Sep 24, 2010 12:43:44 am
      Liverpool fans badly need a reality check. You can argue all you want about if x should have started or should Torres have been on the bench but untill you look at the bigger picture you're gonna get nowhere.

Firstly, you clearly didn't scout Northampton properly. Rumour has it that the Liverpool scout left our previous home league game at half time. It's not enough to say "oh there in league 2 so we'll beat them over 90 minutes". Each of your players should have been targeting the weaknesses of our players (and there are many!)

Secondly, your tactics were all over the place. Whose idea was it not to press us at all. I can honestly say that I didn't realise that we were quite good at passing because League 2 teams press us to death. Maybe that's below Liverpool though?

I could go on all night but I think it's fair to say that for some unknown reason Liverpool have let their eye off the ball so to speak. You are so far behind the likes of Chelsea and dare I say it Man Utd it's untrue! When Northampton are giving you the run around then you have serious problems.

The worrying thing is that you're all too busy arguing amonsgt yourselves to look at why Northampton did a job on you (which they did). They sucker punched you and you couldn't see it coming. Roy Hogdson clearly didn't know Northampton could play as well as they did (written all over his face)

Liverpool need to stop being so self involved and start looking at why they are in the sh*t. Stop arguing amonst yourselves and start looking at the basics of football. Your not good enough anymore to beat everyone without trying. The fans have to do their part too! the atmosphere at Anfield last night was woeful and indeed surreal...as if you were expecting a rout and didn't have to cheer.

Anyway I hope you get things sorted because Liverpool are 1 of the best clubs in world football and us Northampton fans will forever hold you fondly for your reception for us!

Phil Neal rules o.k

Decided after watching the game that I would not be posting my views (due to the obvious).However due to your post I have to,If only to say THANKS.
      Great post mate and honestly agree with your sumation of our woes.
      Good luck to you and NTFC in the next round.   
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #1243: Sep 24, 2010 01:00:33 am
      - THANK YOU FROM A NORTHAMPTON FAN -

Just wanted to say that everything about last night was top-notch. Everyone at Anfield, from the stewards to the people behind the bar were friendly and welcoming in their approach and the majority of genuine Liverpool fans I saw were magnanimous in defeat - a credit to your club and to your city. It is a great occasion to visit Anfield and I felt very moved standing for a moment before the Hillsborough memorial.

Obviously with the way the game played out and the final result I had one of the best nights of my life. These things just don't happen to a club like mine and it makes all the awful treks to the Torquays, Macclesfields and Gillinghams of this world worthwhile, it's what being a lower league fan is all about and wouldn't change it for the world!

Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the season and I hope you can put any off-field problems aside and string together some results on the pitch. I'm sure you will come through okay in the end.

Peace out, up the Cobblers!

Just make sure you play that well against Morecambe when you play them!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #1244: Sep 24, 2010 01:13:09 am
      The players owed the millions perhaps billions of fans a performance of their life this weekend. If they don't come out with guns blazing and win convincingly, everyone deserves to be shipped out, the manager first. The games in the league so far have not been to Roy's favor, only one victory. Yes the last few teams have been tough teams but we lost all those games nothing for Roy to show for, and it's not to Roy's advantage. The way he operates the team it appears that Roy is still a novice to the EPL but having seen what he is capable off I'm afraid I'm now slowly leaning towards those who said he''s simply not good enough for us. Perhaps my expectations are too high. Who wouldn't when you are supporting LFC. He first needs to change his mentality and starts to put out a more attack minded team. If situation continues, I fear for Roy.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #1245: Sep 24, 2010 02:46:28 pm
      - THANK YOU FROM A NORTHAMPTON FAN -

Just wanted to say that everything about last night was top-notch. Everyone at Anfield, from the stewards to the people behind the bar were friendly and welcoming in their approach and the majority of genuine Liverpool fans I saw were magnanimous in defeat - a credit to your club and to your city. It is a great occasion to visit Anfield and I felt very moved standing for a moment before the Hillsborough memorial.

Obviously with the way the game played out and the final result I had one of the best nights of my life. These things just don't happen to a club like mine and it makes all the awful treks to the Torquays, Macclesfields and Gillinghams of this world worthwhile, it's what being a lower league fan is all about and wouldn't change it for the world!

Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the season and I hope you can put any off-field problems aside and string together some results on the pitch. I'm sure you will come through okay in the end.

Peace out, up the Cobblers!

I'm from Macclesfield, and i feel your pain having to go to the moss. Went there a lot as a kid and last few seasons as i havent been able to afford premier league football. Good luck for the season
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1246: Sep 24, 2010 04:57:10 pm
      Noticed on Sunday 2-0 down looking inept camera closes in on Roy who ........ scratches chin
      We have played 5 games we are 10 points behind Chelsea, I think the expression is smell the coffee, the is no way on  planet Earth we will win the league
      I'm honestly still shocked at the game yesterday. Only word that can come to mind: disgrace. Team showed no heart throughout the match, Babel looked lazy up front , and, worst of all, Northampton Town controlled the match after they equalized in the second half.
      I'll be fair, though: well-played, Northampton Town.
      The club is in shambles from the board to the pitch,everybody looks pissed of.Last night no inspiration on the pitch,or on the bench.Roy has not got out of his seat once.
      His team last night was a disaster.
      One competition down 2 to go.

I thought I would post this press article here.
      Either that or start a new thread.

Here is good.....but not really just the last game.

17 months actually is what this press article is all about and some key points in what we did or more importantly what we didnt do.
      No.
      This is not a Rafa bash.

This is pure fact as to key stages in the last year and a half, where we have gone from Heroes to Zeroes. Where we are now.

Its not a long period of time at all from second in the Premiership to now but it features 6 key games.

There are some valid points ending up with the Northampton game this week.

Long read.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b62f6

The six horrendous results that have left Liverpool at rock bottom

From title challengers to League Cup laughing stock in 17 months...

23 Sep 2010 12:00:00

ANALYSIS
      By Steven Saunders

Liverpool's sensational defeat on penalties to Northampton Town of League Two in the League Cup represented a new low for a club that has continually shocked and amazed with their results in recent times.

Back in April 2009, with a Premier League title just about within reach, a dramatic 4-4 draw with Arsenal at Anfield was seen as disastrous, Andrey Arshavin's quadruple sounding the death knell for Rafael Benitez's championship ambitions.

Fast forward only 17 months - with Benitez now gone, Roy Hodgson watched in horror as his side were given the runaround by a team 69 places lower in the English pyramid. It required a scrappy David Ngog goal deep in extra time to even take the League Cup third round tie to penalties, and even in front of the Kop it was Northampton who held their nerve in the shootout.

It was not the only match to leave Liverpool fans with their head in their hands since the beginning of last season.
      Here are the six of the worst...

Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa
      Premier League, August 24, 2009

Some pundits had tipped Liverpool to win the Premier League before the season began, and while an opening game defeat to Tottenham at White Hart Lane was a setback, the ship appeared to have been righted when Stoke were beaten 4-0 at Anfield next time out.

But then came a Monday night clash with Villa. A Lucas Leiva own goal put the visitors in front and Curtis Davies added a second in first-half stoppage time from a poorly defended set piece.

Fernando Torres pulled a goal back with 18 minutes remaining, but soon after Steven Gerrard hauled down Nigel Reo-Coker in the box and Ashley Young converted the penalty.

It meant Liverpool had suffered as many League defeats in three games as they had done in the whole of the previous season.

Liverpool 1-2 Lyon
      Champions League, October 20, 2009

In previous years, Benitez's calling card whenever things had gone poorly domestically was a sound record in Europe.
      But even the Champions League offered no comfort as Liverpool's season went from bad to worse.

Having already lost to Fiorentina in Florence in a frightfully one-sided affair, victory was of the essence when Lyon came to Anfield.

Gerrard limped off injured midway through the first half, but Yossi Benayoun put the hosts ahead four minutes before half-time.

However, Lyon substitute Maxime Gonalons equalised on 72 minutes and Cesar Delgado scrambled home an injury time winner to inflict a fourth successive defeat on the Reds, their worst sequence since April 1987.

Another home defeat followed against Fiorentina, and Liverpool were knocked out of the Champions League group stages for the first time under Benitez.

Portsmouth 2-0 Liverpool
      Premier League, December 19, 2009

If Liverpool thought they had it bad, a trip to Portsmouth should have offered some perspective.
      Instead it just heaped on more misery, as Javier Mascherano was sent off and the side bottom of the league - (and playing without being paid) - dismantled them.

It was two superb goals that settled the game, the first from Nadir Belhadj with an exquisite volley that whistled past Pepe Reina at the near post, and the second from Frederic Piquionne was a classy low effort from a similar angle.

Mascherano's red card came with the game at 1-0, and Liverpool were outfought from that point on. The result came just four days after Benitez had guaranteed Liverpool would finish in the top four.

Liverpool 1-2 Reading
      FA Cup replay, January 13, 2010

It appeared Liverpool had avoided an embarrassing FA Cup exit when Gerrard equalised after Simon Church had put Reading - struggling in the Championship - in front in the first meeting at the Madejski stadium. Surely Liverpool's class would tell in the replay, right?

Wrong.
      Liverpool took the lead in first-half injury time thanks to Ryan Bertrand's own goal, but it was no more than Reading deserved when they forced a penalty deep in added time in the second half.

Gylfi Sigurdsson equalised from the spot, and then Shane Long capped a stunning night at Anfield with the winner in extra time.

It meant that the only realistic silverware on offer to Liverpool for the remainder of the season was the Europa League, a quest that eventually ended in the semi-finals.

Birmingham City 1-1 Liverpool
      Premier League, April 4, 2010

Liverpool's chances of finishing in the top four and securing a Champions League place were fading by the game, and this result further dented their hopes.

But this game was significant mainly for the body language of Gerrard and Torres when the latter was substituted and which was caught by television cameras.

As Torres ran off, he appeared to be asked why he was going off by captain Gerrard, to which the Spaniard shrugged his shoulders with a blank look. Gerrard was then shown to scratch his head with a look of astonished disgust at his manager's decision.

If ever there was any doubt that Benitez had lost the dressing room, it was encapsulated in that moment.
      It was still not even a year since the 4-4 draw with Arsenal that all but ended their push for the Premier League title - an alarming indication of Liverpool's rapid decline.

Liverpool 2-2 Northampton Town
      (Northampton win 4-2 on penalties)
      League Cup, September 22, 2010

Benitez's departure in the summer was never going to right all the wrongs at Anfield, but the one thing his replacement Roy Hodgson was expected to bring was a greater belief and team spirit.

Neither were present as Liverpool slumped to arguably the worst defeat in their history against Northampton Town, currently 17th in the lowest rung of the English league ladder.

All seemed to be fine when Milan Jovanovic crashed home the opening goal early on, but steadily Liverpool lost the initiative — and Northampton seized it.

It was a deserved equaliser struck by Billy Mckay midway through the second half, and Michael Jacobs scrambled home a second in extra time in front of a demoralised Kop.

An Ngog header somehow squeezed in to force the game to penalties, but even an early miss from Northampton was not enough of a gift for Liverpool to capitalise on. Ngog and Nathan Ecclestone missed, allowing Abdul Osman to score a spot-kick that will live long in the memory for both sets of supporters, for wildly contrasting reasons.

Shining the torch somewhere other than Hicks' cupboard.
      Its ... what is going to happen to correct it?
      The rot set in well before the Northampton game.

Quick Reply