Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Which is Cole's best position?

Read 3680 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Which is Cole's best position?
      Reply #23: Sep 24, 2010 11:51:23 am
      I don't think Cole has the game to play just behind the striker.

I think he is going to be of more use for us on the wing. Probably the left.

He isn't a traditional winger, but since when have Liverpool played wide men on the wings?

He could probably do a similar job that Kuyt does on the right, but possibly better going forward, bringing the ball in to the middle and corner of the box and hopefully having the option of an advanced Gerrard or Torres to set up.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #24: Sep 24, 2010 01:49:45 pm
      That's nonsense. You shouldn't play a player's favorite position but the one that suits him and the team best.
      Seems like its working a charm for us at the moment.. Oh wait  :f_tongueincheek:
      Btw I said natural position first :P

Cole has never been a natural winger, hes been shipped out their by his previous managers to accomodate him in the team, having to cut inside every time he gets the ball to create chances.

I agree he would be more useful out their than Babel/Jovanvic, because lets face it, their hopeless. But for the sake of seeing the best of him (Plus getting the bet out of Nando) in my mind you have to play him behind Torres with Gerrard/Merelies in midfield for me.

If we actually had some wingers who knew how to get to the byline/take players then cross the ball..
      My God, what a side we would be!
      Until our wide players get rid of that allergy they seem to have though I doubt it will happen.
      « Last Edit: Sep 24, 2010 01:55:14 pm by Dannylfc »
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #25: Sep 24, 2010 01:58:41 pm
      to play Cole as a winger or socalled wide man is utterly moronic. He is about flicks and vision in a semi congested area. And he doesnt have the "leave the fullback for dead" pace.
      He's clearly a linkman ie 2nd striker type player.

Altho I'd have preferred Torres and Gerrard with Aq just behind. These are 3 signigicantly better players. Either way, selling Aq was pathetic.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #26: Sep 24, 2010 02:03:50 pm
      I'd say central attacking or left attacking, allowing him to cut inside.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: Sep 24, 2010 02:07:38 pm
      I don't think Gerrard has played well behind Torres in well over a year now, I think teams have cottoned onto it and just starve them of possession, can't remember the last time Gerrard played well there.

It wasn't this season or last even. It was the season before. Gerrard is an absolute waste behind Torres. We only started playing well against Utd when Gerrard went back into midfield.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #28: Sep 24, 2010 02:42:44 pm
      I agree with the triangle mate, but we'd still be ineffective with our wide play, unless of course the wide players find some consistent form, to be honest mate , I'm not impressed with Jova at all, he's a headless chicken.

He recieves the ball, puts his head down sets off at pace loses the ball and teh cycle just repeats itself, I can not really think of any crosses he's whipped in at all from the left hand side in all his appearances to date.

Tell me who's been waiting in the middle for the whipped ball in??.. On average 1 player waiting to receive the ball this season.. This suggests to me that the manager hasn't set up the team to play with width..
      I'm not buying this Jova is a headless chicken thing.. If our wingers were supposed to provide width and whip in balls they would do (with varied quality of course).. I refuse to believe that all the wingers we have are that sh*te they can only cut in.. They're probably playing to a system which focuses on narrower attacks or they just know that were gonna be out numbered in the box with the early ball..

Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #29: Sep 24, 2010 02:48:16 pm
      I don't think Gerrard has played well behind Torres in well over a year now, I think teams have cottoned onto it and just starve them of possession, can't remember the last time Gerrard played well there.

It wasn't this season or last even. It was the season before. Gerrard is an absolute waste behind Torres. We only started playing well against Utd when Gerrard went back into midfield.

That's a good point that.. It really was two seasons ago when the partnership was phenomenal. Its true, its doesn't work no more but we still bang on like its an option..
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #30: Sep 24, 2010 03:10:09 pm
      If you think Torres-Gerrard partnership doesn't work anymore, we've another option with 4-3-3:
                         Lucas

Gerrard           Meireles

Kuyt --->                     <--- Cole
                         Torres
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #31: Sep 24, 2010 03:25:05 pm
      Torres

y    Cole          x

Gerrard
               Meireles
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #32: Sep 24, 2010 06:10:52 pm
      At the minute I would put Cole out on the wing, since Maxi looks out of his dept there, and Babel is very hit and miss also. Play Pacheco in the hole.
      redsox1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #33: Sep 25, 2010 12:17:47 am
      wide left

Quick Reply