Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Maradona wants Captain Masch

Read 3707 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Maradona wants Captain Masch
      Nov 05, 2008 09:29:51 am
      From Sky

New Argentina coach Diego Maradona has confirmed he wants Liverpool's Javier Mascherano to captain the country.

Argentine legend Maradona was handed his country's top job on Tuesday following the departure of Alfio Basile last month.

The former World Cup winner's first game in charge will the be the friendly with Scotland and he is keen to appoint Reds midfielder Mascherano as a long-term successor to current captain Javier Zanetti.

"I want Mascherano to be my captain because I believe he is the Argentinian player who is closest to the idea I have about the Argentinian shirt - sweat for it, sacrifice for it, being a professional, being close to the team-mate," said Maradona.

"I will convince him. He will be my captain."

Mascherano has been joined in Maradona's first squad by Newcastle duo Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez and Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez.

However, there is no place in the squad for Inter Milan midfielder Esteban Cambiasso or Getafe goalkeeper Roberto Abbondanzieri.

Good luck to him.  After his outburst against United last year, and a couple of times I've seen him argue with refs - maybe this will help him knock it on the head?

Couldn't imagine him being given the Liverpool armband.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Maradona wants Captain Masch
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2008 10:27:47 am
      Read that just after the game this morning. Totally out of the blue but what a moment it would be for him.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2008 01:00:50 pm
      Would only make him a better player! Good choice too, he is by far the most determined player in the Argentine squad.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2008 02:00:23 pm
      Posted this is the Mascherano thread. Good luck to him! Hopefully it'll improve his temperament, and the way he talks to referees.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2008 02:11:23 pm
      Must be an honour. I can imagine him being the captain of Argentina, and I think he'd be the best man for the job, really. He seems the most determined.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2008 07:47:16 pm
      Would be a fantastic decision, and as it's already been stated, will only improve him as an already outstanding player.

Maradonna's a good'un as far as I'm concerned! ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 2810 
      Reply #6: Nov 05, 2008 09:02:51 pm
      I'm a bit unsure about this one. He made the United error and in my view I don't think he's learnt from it as he still regularly chirping awaya dn has already been on the recieving end of more yellow cards. However, when he learns from his errors I have no doubt he will be a very good captain for Argentina and it will hopefully take his game and his discipline to a new level.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #7: Nov 05, 2008 10:32:07 pm
      Ya, have to agree with you chats. Not sure if he has the right temperment to captain his country. He is one of the most determined players i have seen. The way he hassels players for the ball is quite magnificent but he can be a bit lippy at times. Still love to see him get it though.
      remy
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 05, 2008 10:52:42 pm
      To captain his country will only make him a better player. Liverpool player lift the world cup !
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #9: Nov 06, 2008 10:34:24 am
      future lfc captain too.... when gerrard gets old
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #10: Nov 06, 2008 02:06:42 pm
      No doubt Mascherano has the talent to be molded into a great captain, the only issue I have with this is Maradona. With all great respect to the man he is temparmental, controversial and outspoken figure and also a well respected one. If he makes Masch captain how much of an influence will he have on Masch's career at Anfield?

We have seen numerous examples before of International coaches coming into conflict with club coaches. Given Maradona's character I wonder if it will pose a problem to Rafa if he starts demanding Mascherano' playing time and style and applying pressure on him being rested. I dont think Rafa is the sort of coach who will take that sort of sh*t and a possible conflict between player/coach can ensue.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #11: Nov 06, 2008 02:10:41 pm
      Excellent stuff.  Hope he teaches him the 'Hand of God' and we get to use it at Old Trafford.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: Nov 06, 2008 06:44:41 pm
      Couldn't have heard better news this year. Hope the lad accepts the invite from maradona. By far one of our most consistent players since he signed for us. How he never played at west ham i haven't got a clue but he's improved tremedously and surely he will get better if he becomes captain.
      red hat
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #13: Nov 06, 2008 07:00:56 pm
      Great news this should really improve his game as well as self esteem. Will he get cocky though,I hope not cos I really like his attitude.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Nov 06, 2008 07:05:46 pm
      I doubt he will get cocky mate. He seems a quiet lad who does the job on the pitch but makes sure it stays on the pitch. Was talking to my mate before about this subject, even tho he is a manure fan he said he hopes that mascherano gets the captains job for argentina as he is a quality talent and has the right skills to do a great job. I said that maybe when carragher and gerrard get too old for the job then he would be my 1st choice to replace one as either vice-captain or the actual captain. That's if we're lucky enough to have him in that many years ;D.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,634 posts | 129 
      Reply #15: Nov 06, 2008 07:11:55 pm
      link=topic=10357.msg195585#msg195585 date=1225998346]
      He seems a quiet lad who does the job on the pitch but makes sure it stays on the pitch.[/quote]

This makes him to the player we love and we need in the centre midfield ;-) Players who only do her job or better said: who do her job perfectly......
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #16: Nov 06, 2008 10:26:54 pm
      She does it so well.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #17: Nov 06, 2008 10:29:14 pm
      Made up for Masch - he deserves it. I've always said he's underrated, but Diego has obviously seen the light ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #18: Nov 07, 2008 06:37:07 pm
      MARADONA VISITS MELWOOD
      Jimmy Rice 07 November 2008

New Argentina boss Diego Maradona visited Melwood this afternoon for talks with Rafa Benitez and Javier Mascherano.

The trio discussed Mascherano's role for his country under the new regime - but only after Gerrard and co clamoured to shake Maradona's hand.

Benitez said: "It was difficult for me to see him because all our players were very excited about him being here.

"Two of our 'stars' came over and got his autograph. Then after, another 15 players came in saying they wanted to have a photo with him. But he was very good, nice and patient with everyone, so it was a very good experience.

"There was Gerrard, Carra, Keane, Alonso - his father played with Maradona when he was with Barcelona. Then Pepe Reina and also some young players. You could see Insua, Spearing, Flynn - all sorts of players."

The boss added: "We had a meeting to talk about the future of Mascherano with the national team and a few ideas.

"It was a very positive meeting."

One of the items sure to have been discussed was the possibility of Mascherano taking the captain's armband for his country.

Maradona has made no secret of his desire to make the Liverpool man his skipper, while Mascherano admits it would be 'an honour' to lead his nation.

However, no official announcement has yet been made.

Benitez added: "They will now meet again with Javier and it will depend on him.

"He has a fantastic mentality, a strong character and he's a good professional. If he wants he can be a fantastic captain."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162010081107-1430.htm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #19: Nov 09, 2008 02:19:08 pm
      Class hearing that all the players were going up to Rafa's office with stupid excuses just to get in to see Maradona.

You can imagine Rafa sitting there and hearing the knock at the door and looking at the heavens.

I can see no problems that would affect Liverpool by Mascherano becoming Captain of his country?  He'll be able to put Gerrard in his place that's for sure.  If anything surely it will only increase his value for our club?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #20: Nov 09, 2008 03:21:30 pm
      Quote from Rafa Benitez
      "Two of our 'stars' came over and got his autograph. Then after, another 15 players came in saying they wanted to have a photo with him. But he was very good, nice and patient with everyone, so it was a very good experience."

I just hope none of these 15 or so players turn down any autograph hunting kids in the future!  ;)

Quick Reply