Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Amazon Kindle

Read 8388 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Amazon Kindle
      Sep 26, 2010 05:15:51 pm
      Anybody got one / seen one?

I'm not sure whether I like the idea or not. I don't really like how entertainment products are becoming less and less tangible. Perhaps the best example of this is at the moment is music. Sure, I own an iPod, and I find it very useful, but I still make sure that I buy CD's instead of just downloading through iTunes because I like to have a physical copy of whatever I'm buying...

I've got into reading recently, and I think perhaps the same could be said for the Kindle. Although I can see the many benefits of the product, I'm not completely sure that I'd prefer to have books on this device rather than having 'actual' books.

Plus, I just searched the Kindle store, and it seems that they only really have very 'mainstream' titles.

I don't know. Maybe somebody could give me some more insight?
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Amazon Kindle
      Reply #1: Sep 26, 2010 05:20:01 pm
      I don't think something like the kindle has a big future because ipads and other tablet pc's are capable of providing the same or even better, if not now then they will in the near future.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Sep 26, 2010 05:27:01 pm
      I'm just considering getting an e-book reader.

1. I think it'll come in handy, especially when travelling etc. Also, sometimes you don't want people to see what you're actually reading.

2. It might come in handy for my University work and things.

Not sure...

But like I said, I don't think the type of things I read are even available in e-book format. For e.g. books by Bret Easton Ellis.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #3: Sep 26, 2010 05:51:46 pm
      Easton Ellis is actually fairly mainstream due to his books' popularity. Kindle is probably limited to just Amazon then? http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/a20471/Bret-Easton-Ellis/?si=0 (Though you can get them on torrent too*coughs*) I think most internationally published books are also published as e-books these days.

And I agree that it comes in handy with travelling, instead of having to carry a bunch of books. But from what I understand a smaller ipad is coming out, think I'd personally prefer that then, but then again e-readers might be much cheaper. Another thing though, e-books are usually almost just as expensive as real books aren't they? Doesn't make sense to me, they should be able to cut alot of costs.
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2010 06:58:24 pm by Dexter »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: Sep 26, 2010 06:31:50 pm
      Laura's stepmum has got one, and they are a pretty cool little thing. I'm the same though, always would rather a physical book. I even love new book smell (thats how much of a closet book worm i am :D )

There is a Amazon Kindle app out there for anyone who has an iphone, in which you can download books from the kindle store to your phone. I use it just to download the free 'trials' where you get the first few pages of the book. Gives you an idea of if you think you wanna buy it.

They do seem a handy thing for traveling though. You can load a sh*t load of reading on to one of those where you could never dream of taking that many hard books. All depends on your lifestyle, whether you move lots or not i think.

They are just as expensive though, yeah. Seems odd to me too.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #5: Sep 26, 2010 06:57:55 pm
      I have the same mate, love the smell of books, something nostalgic about books.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Sep 26, 2010 07:20:02 pm
      Yeah! My dad has a huge book collection and every few years he would go through it and work out if he had any missing from different series. I used to love it! He was who made me a big reader, always thank him for that.

Do you reckon they can put something in the kindle to make it smell like a book? :D
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #7: Sep 30, 2010 01:20:18 pm
      I think they're great, you should all buy them....

then I'll have even more second hand books to buy for a couple of quid :D
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #8: Oct 21, 2010 08:29:59 pm
      Love a route through second hand books, Can't see kindle catching on myself
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #9: Oct 25, 2010 05:02:16 am
      Get with the times people! Definitely better, the way technology is improving the ease of everything. I don't really read much but this and other devices like the iPad will make reading so much simpler.

I know I'll be getting an iPad for university to ease the load so i don't have to carry the textbooks around.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #10: Oct 25, 2010 05:45:56 pm
      Get with the times people! Definitely better, the way technology is improving the ease of everything. I don't really read much but this and other devices like the iPad will make reading so much simpler.
      That's not putting your case across very well, ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #11: Oct 25, 2010 06:54:05 pm

I know I'll be getting an iPad for university to ease the load so I don't have to carry the textbooks around.

Get with the times says someone who doesn't read much :D

For those of us who like reading, books are often a way of getting away from technology for a while. I am considering a kindle in the future simply for ease of travel, but im not liking the prices of the ebooks yet so im gonna hold off. Feel they are too expensive considering you don't get anything but an electronic document.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12: Oct 25, 2010 11:59:30 pm
      Get with the times says someone who doesn't read much :D

For those of us who like reading, books are often a way of getting away from technology for a while. I am considering a kindle in the future simply for ease of travel, but im not liking the prices of the ebooks yet so im gonna hold off. Feel they are too expensive considering you don't get anything but an electronic document.

I know the price is a bit high for ebooks at  present, but I'd be willing to pay a nominal fee at a library, in which they place & remove books as you read.  Should be able to make them a pain to remove from the kindle for those inclined to try it, or at least place a code so they know exactly where it has come from.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #13: Oct 26, 2010 12:52:13 am
      Book.

Everyday of the week.

Not a contest for me, not buying anything like this for the foreseeable future. Bookshop and library it is!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: Oct 26, 2010 12:55:53 am
      Book.

Everyday of the week.

Not a contest for me, not buying anything like this for the foreseeable future. Bookshop and library it is!

Don't forget charity & second hand shops.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15: Oct 26, 2010 01:53:24 am
      Don't forget charity & second hand shops.

LOVE second hand books. Can find some absolute belter books for a bargain.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Feb 02, 2011 08:49:20 pm
      Seriously thinking of getting one of these, read up on them today, and nothing but good reports.  Books from about £2.00 and you can even have the Kindle read the book for you and you listen to it instead  ;D   Ideal for holidays and reading in bed, which I do a lot.  The one with WiFi and built in 3G around £150.00.
      NorthernIrishRed
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 195 posts |
      Reply #17: Feb 17, 2011 02:28:36 pm
      They Have been hugely successful and are outselling paperbacks ( plus all the pirated books) I've been told it's uses some thing were it's not like your reading a screen as it's not backlit but almost exactly reading a book, even easier on your eyes. Also it doesn't heat up, not hard to hold. Ordered mines last night sonic tell you what I think of it. It has recieved excellent reviews so can't wait to get it:)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: Feb 17, 2011 03:56:39 pm
      My son reads a sh*t-load and always has; I couldn't carry books to him. Last Christmas I bought him the Kindle reader (WiFi and built in 3G) and he loves it. He also pointed out how much easier it was on his eyes.

He's got himself a load of 'the classics' (free) and has bought quite a few other e-books too - he absolutely raves about it. So, for what it's worth, it appears to be a must have for anyone who likes reading; even more so if one reads a lot.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #19: Feb 17, 2011 05:14:30 pm
      My son reads a sh*t-load and always has; I couldn't carry books to him. Last Christmas I bought him the Kindle reader (WiFi and built in 3G) and he loves it. He also pointed out how much easier it was on his eyes.

He's got himself a load of 'the classics' (free) and has bought quite a few other e-books too - he absolutely raves about it. So, for what it's worth, it appears to be a must have for anyone who likes reading; even more so if one reads a lot.
      Well as I said, I wouldn't complain if I received one as a gift. Maybe their price will continue to drop over time and I'll consider one but for now I'm still a fan of real books and like bigV, I love picking random books up second hand.
      NorthernIrishRed
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 195 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 21, 2011 07:44:01 pm
      Got it today. The screen is an absolute joy to read on, which made me most at ease as this was my biggest of put about getting it - reading on a screen opposed to a paper... But the screen background is almost exact like your average novel page,(you wouldn't know your reading on a screen) and the text font and clarity is superb!

The only problem is the attempt at the the add on features, I.e Internet browser,MP3 which are All poor... But for reading books on it's a joy, and in the middle of 'Lord of the Rings'.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #21: Feb 22, 2011 04:33:25 pm
      Thats because its primarily an e book reader. What exactly do you find lacking with the browser? I thought it was a good effort for a device not specified to do web browsing.
      NorthernIrishRed
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 195 posts |
      Reply #22: Feb 22, 2011 10:19:47 pm
      Thats because its primarily an e book reader. What exactly do you find lacking with the browser? I thought it was a good effort for a device not specified to do web browsing.
      I expected something A bit faster and I don't think it's thatclear cut to read.... I would much rather my iPad for web browsing

Quick Reply