Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Amazon Kindle

Read 8383 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Amazon Kindle
      Reply #23: May 23, 2011 09:53:08 pm
      Well finally bought one today with my birthday money.  Now on sale in Tesco's.

Love it.  So far so good.

So easy to download books from Amazon, ended up buying about 10 !  :o

Lots of bargains to be had on Amazon, some books (although only small) are only 69p  ;D

Just need to read the 'normal' books I've already got, then I can get stuck in to my Kindle  ;D
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #24: May 24, 2011 12:16:04 pm
      Are they waterproof and can they withstand heat of around 45°C?

I only ask because I've fallen asleep in a hot bath, book in hand before now.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #25: May 24, 2011 06:51:28 pm
      Are they waterproof and can they withstand heat of around 45°C?

I only ask because I've fallen asleep in a hot bath, book in hand before now.

:D

Not sure Rep, not gonna try it though  ;D

I'm the world's worst for falling asleep when reading.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #26: May 24, 2011 07:25:04 pm
      They're tiny is size aren't they Smiggs, a girl in my form at school had one, much smaller than i expected.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #27: May 24, 2011 08:22:50 pm
      I probably will get  one at some stage just for the pure convenience. I read quite a lot and love to have the actual book but they seem so handy especially for the holidays.

Have Kindle on my HTC phone and reading Brian Reade's book on it at the minute. Not the same I know but gives you an idea of the Kindle store and how it works.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #28: May 24, 2011 10:18:33 pm
      They're tiny is size aren't they Smiggs, a girl in my form at school had one, much smaller than I expected.

Yeah, think its a 6" screen, nice and lightweight though  ;D

Really simple to use as well, managed to download about ten books in about 5 mins !  :D

Plenty to be going on with  ;D
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #29: Jun 29, 2011 12:51:07 am
      Hey guys, I'm trying to find a copy of "The Death List" by Paul Johnston on ebook, but a free copy not any off amazon or whsmith etc.

Im getting to the point where I'm nearly falling asleep so my search isn't very effective. I was wondering if any could find a place to download it if they could post it here for me. Any help would be appreciated :)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #30: Jan 08, 2012 10:00:35 am
      Bump.

Actually been thinking about getting one of these a lot lately. They have the basic one for $79 here now, and I was just looking through the list of ones you can get for free now and there is a bunch of classics there I've been meaning to read for years you can download free. So many books I'd otherwise be looking to borrow or buy to read, free to download. I love a physical book, absolutely love it. But with being in an international relationship right now and not knowing where I may end up at this stage, I've been thinking using the e-books a bit more may be a good idea. Anything I really love I'd buy to have on a shelf in the future probably anyways, but for now this is more and more seeming a great idea.

Anyone who's had one for awhile now, feel free to state your thoughts on them again!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #31: Jan 08, 2012 11:16:20 am
      I got one for Christmas and like you have been undecided for a while as I also like to have the actual book but the Kindle is great.

The first thing I noticed was the quality of the screen as I had used Kindle app on my phone but its a world of difference. The e-ink really I'd as close to an actual book as you can get. Also the ease of which you can buy books and organise them will mean I will read a lot motr and also a bigger variety as well.

For the money it I'd well worth it.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #32: Jan 08, 2012 01:37:10 pm
      It's amazing. Lightweight, stores thousands, and reads crisp and clear. Screen quality makes it happen for me. Definitely recommend it.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #33: Jan 08, 2012 01:58:24 pm
      Same as srs, I've only had one since Christmas but I think it's brilliant. As you know, V, I'm also a fan of the 'real thing' but I'm so impressed with the Kindle that I find it's actually making me want to read more. I'd go for it.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #34: Jan 08, 2012 07:24:55 pm
      Well i said i wouldn't get one, i have and it is so good. Love it and with all those lovely cheap e-books, by god this hat tastes good
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #35: Jan 08, 2012 09:04:47 pm
      My sons got me one for christmas.What a lovely bit of kit.I think its great.A mate at work tells there are thousands of free books to download (obviously Amazon don't tell you that).All books over 50 yrs old are free too.This mate was telling me how its helped his 9yr old daughter to read without having to threaten her ;D.She just would'nt read atall.It was one of her teachers told him to try the Kindle as a last resort.
      Don't hesitate!!GET ONE. 
      guyfawks
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      • Keep trying, you'll get there in the end
      Reply #36: Feb 03, 2012 09:01:38 pm
      Anyone know the release date for the kindle fire, absolute cracker this ones gonna be.
      soon as its out im getting one, dual core , colour, android.
      donk1664
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      Reply #37: Feb 04, 2012 01:02:11 am
      I truly believe that the Kindle is doing for literature what the Mp3 player did for music, basically revolutionising how we access, buy and read our literature.

My Mum is a 68yr old bookaholic and manages to ply her way through countless novels on a weekly. She would usually end up carrying 10+ books on holiday and would often complain that her wrists would ache holding heftier tomb's. So a couple of years ago I brought her the Kindle 3g+WI-FI, was a bit worried as she can just about manage to text and barely cope with basic emailing.

However she was like a duck to water, within in days she was downloading books over the 3G network and using the dictionary lookup functionality and the text-to-speech. Now with over 2000+ books loaded (thanks Demonoid/TPB)  she uses it every day.

So this Christmas I got another for my technophobe of a Dad to join the kindle crowd. He was like what do i want with one of those and I'll never use it but after some persuading, as this is a guy who can't use a PC, SKY+ or a mobile phone, he is a convert. In under a month he has plowed through 10+ books and almost worships his little hunk of amazon trickery.

If you are toying with the idea I say go for it, it is a cracking piecde of kit. Simple and easy to use for even the most reluctant techno user. Plus there are thousands of free books available from Amazon and other sources such as Project Gutenburg etc, as well as other (ummm  ;) sources), plus nearly all big releases are available in Hardcopy and kindle editions. Nice tip for holiday is to get the 2 week free trial of your fave newspaper. Also don't forget you can play music on it as well and it is compatable with Audible audio books. I love 'em and can't wait for a Kindle fire.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #38: Sep 09, 2012 04:31:13 pm
      Was thinking about getting an iPad, but that would be overkill for my needs, now the Kindle Fire is coming available here in the UK, need to have a good look at this.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #39: Mar 11, 2013 08:31:15 pm
      I've just inherited a basic Kindle from my wife and daughter as they've upgraded to the HD Fire which is briliant by the way! I'm the same as Reprobrate in as much as I prefer the 'real thing' !
      my dilema is that I Like physical objects when I purchase things, like records, CD's and books but the Kindle really does make light work of carrying books about.
      A the moment I'm downloading dirt cheap books as oppossed to saving a 'few quid' on a download of a full price book because I'd still sooner see a row of collectable books on a shelf than an Electronic device that you have to search through to see what someone has !
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #40: Mar 12, 2013 09:28:52 am
      A the moment I'm downloading dirt cheap books as oppossed to saving a 'few quid' on a download of a full price book because I'd still sooner see a row of collectable books on a shelf than an Electronic device that you have to search through to see what someone has !

Well at least now you can download Gow's book, it's only £1.91:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hunter-Inside-ebook/dp/B0082KLJO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363080589&sr=8-1
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #41: Mar 12, 2013 06:56:29 pm
      Bought as requested, will report after reading !
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #42: Mar 12, 2013 11:06:56 pm
      Gow's book is well worth a read.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #43: Mar 13, 2013 10:54:18 am
      Just bought it myself - will keep me occupied on my long journey home at the weekend!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #44: Mar 13, 2013 11:00:40 am
      I have a kindle reader on my phone, I get through 8-10 books a month, I've brought one kindle version, as I could pick up the book I wanted cheaper in print and strangely enough, mostly in hardback edition.  Love the accessibility, but I'll continue to do the same.

Quick Reply