Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Rafa: "Liverpool is my home - I'll be back"

Read 46644 times
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Re: Rafa: "Liverpool is my home - I'll be back"
      Reply #529: Dec 24, 2010 12:03:08 am
      The title to the thread says it all.This is Rafa's home,he has made it so.Does he want to manage the club again?Until I hear it from him,then it is all pure speculation.The only fact to be believed at this point,is that Rafa, despite his shortcomings managerially,was 100% commited to this club and the fans.In the right club,with proper owners,this man will beat the best,much like Shankly and Clough did previously.

Fair point.

To add to that, all the signs are that he wants to come back.

When hodgson slagged him off in the press he said "I have been following Liverpool, and..."

Last week when he won the WCC, he dedicated it in part to Liverpool fans.

There are other examples, but you get the gist.

He wants to come back and finish what he started IMO.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #530: Dec 24, 2010 12:05:13 am
      Lets assume for a moment that Rafa never joined Liverpool in 2004. Lets say he joined a different Club. A Club without insane and ridiculously high levels of expectation amongst its supporters. A club that couldn't compete financially with the big hitters of the league. A Club with a stagnating squad that just pipped Newcastle by 3 points to get the last Champions League spot.

Lets say in his first season, he brought them to a European Cup final, and won them the f**ker, as well as the Super cup. Lets say in his 2nd season he bought one of the best goalkeepers in the world (one that would land 3 golden gloves in his first 3 seasons in England) and brought the Club to an FA Cup final, and won them that too. As well as getting the highest tally of league points for donkeys years

Lets say in his 3rd season, as he is slowly but surely improving the squad in accordance to the money being granted to him, he manages the Club to another European cup final. The 2nd one in 3 years. Some Clubs supporters would give their left bollock to even make it to a semi, but Rafa decides to spoil them and give them another chance of playing on Europes grandest stage

So then he begins his 4th season by signing the worlds most elite striker in the making, and tosses him in with the future captain of Argentina that he picked up in January. On he goes but then starts to get shafted by his employers who break promises that were made to him. They treat him like sh*t, but Rafa decides to stay loyal to the club with whom he has a vision. He takes them to yet another European Cup semi final, as the fans cream themselves over yet another venture in club footballs premier Cup competition

Then along comes the 5th season and he racks up 86 points which takes them to within a whisker of a League title. He also takes the team to another Champions league quarter final. At this stage, the lowly stagnating team that he inherited, are now Europes most consistent side in the continents premier competition. Their win coefficient sits proudly on top of the list, above the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus, Chelsea, Arsenal, all of whom were put to the sword over the last few years.

Lets say he then set about revamping the club academy. He decides to go after the guys who have the best CV's when it comes to working with youth. Guys who helped to hone the Inesta's, and Xavi's, and Messi's of this world. Thats right, none other than La Cantera's very own Rodolfo Borrell and Jose Segura.

I could go on, but I'm sure you all get the gist by now. If Rafa achieved all that with any other club besides Liverpool, he would be deemed a footballing messiah by the masses. We would probably be looking on with envy thinking "F**k me, thats that ex Valencia guy who schooled us at Anfield 7 years ago, how the F**k did he get that lot to 2 champions league finals? I'd give my left bollock to have him as Liverpool Manager"

The problem for Rafa is he actually achieved all of that with a club who aren't particularly liked by the press and media, and who's history means that its fans demand success that is way beyond the clubs current means. These are the 2 primary reasons why the man hasn't even received one tenth of the credit that he really deserves. If Liverpool FC wasn't the name over the door, then he would be easily lauded as one of the best managers in the game, with the ability to get results, and compete with teams who have superior spending power.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #531: Dec 24, 2010 12:11:38 am
      Right, headlines for tomorrow are Rafa Returns To Reds. Just for arguments sake.

1) How much money is going to be needed for him to be this success? (or is it a case that we need to buy success, something most Liverpool fans moan at Chelsea and to some extent United for. And no doubt City, but they still haven't had any success)

2) How much time do we give him to "clear up the mess left by Roy"? (despite not a great deal giving Roy the time to clear up the mess originally left by Rafa)

3) If from Boxing Day onwards this season goes tits up, is it still Roy's fault or Rafa's? (this despite Hodgson being out of a job and Benitez being the Liverpool manager)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #532: Dec 24, 2010 12:13:52 am
      Lets assume for a moment that Rafa never joined Liverpool in 2004. Lets say he joined a different Club. A Club without insane and ridiculously high levels of expectation amongst its supporters. A club that couldn't compete financially with the big hitters of the league. A Club with a stagnating squad that just pipped Newcastle by 3 points to get the last Champions League spot.

Lets say in his first season, he brought them to a European Cup final, and won them the f**ker, as well as the Super cup. Lets say in his 2nd season he bought one of the best goalkeepers in the world (one that would land 3 golden gloves in his first 3 seasons in England) and brought the Club to an FA Cup final, and won them that too. As well as getting the highest tally of league points for donkeys years

Lets say in his 3rd season, as he is slowly but surely improving the squad in accordance to the money being granted to him, he manages the Club to another European cup final. The 2nd one in 3 years. Some Clubs supporters would give their left bollock to even make it to a semi, but Rafa decides to spoil them and give them another chance of playing on Europes grandest stage

So then he begins his 4th season by signing the worlds most elite striker in the making, and tosses him in with the future captain of Argentina that he picked up in January. On he goes but then starts to get shafted by his employers who break promises that were made to him. They treat him like sh*t, but Rafa decides to stay loyal to the club with whom he has a vision. He takes them to yet another European Cup semi final, as the fans cream themselves over yet another venture in club footballs premier Cup competition

Then along comes the 5th season and he racks up 86 points which takes them to within a whisker of a League title. He also takes the team to another Champions league quarter final. At this stage, the lowly stagnating team that he inherited, are now Europes most consistent side in the continents premier competition. Their win coefficient sits proudly on top of the list, above the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus, Chelsea, Arsenal, all of whom were put to the sword over the last few years.

Lets say he then set about revamping the club academy. He decides to go after the guys who have the best CV's when it comes to working with youth. Guys who helped to hone the Inesta's, and Xavi's, and Messi's of this world. Thats right, none other than La Cantera's very own Rodolfo Borrell and Jose Segura.

I could go on, but I'm sure you all get the gist by now. If Rafa achieved all that with any other club besides Liverpool, he would be deemed a footballing messiah by the masses. We would probably be looking on with envy thinking "f**k me, thats that ex Valencia guy who schooled us at Anfield 7 years ago, how the f**k did he get that lot to 2 champions league finals? I'd give my left bollock to have him as Liverpool Manager"

The problem for Rafa is he actually achieved all of that with a club who aren't particularly liked by the press and media, and who's history means that its fans demand success that is way beyond the clubs current means. These are the 2 primary reasons why the man hasn't even received one tenth of the credit that he really deserves. If Liverpool FC wasn't the name over the door, then he would be easily lauded as one of the best managers in the game, with the ability to get results, and compete with teams who have superior spending power.
      In my view,post of the year Brother.In a very turbulent year,that says a lot.Take a bow and a + Daz,you and a few others have been outstanding this year.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #533: Dec 24, 2010 12:16:02 am
      I could sit and educate you, but you come across as a whopper who's opinion is directly influenced by the media, ex players and you have bought into the image of Benitez being some kind of pantomime villan, so rather than bother to try and educate you, I'm gona let you think you are right and whilst your at it give yourself a massive pat on the back because its people like you that gave a window of opportunity to a journeyman chancer with appaling away record the chance to f**k this club up totally, so go shake the hand of all your family who don't want Rafa here and congratulate yourselfs on allowing the chin rubbing contradictory ineptitcal tactical 35 years of experience fossil that is Roy Hodgson into our club, Cheers.

No you couldn't educate me because what you have said ^ is absolute nonsense.

You have blamed people who wanted Rafa out for bringing Hodgson in and you know very well that no matter if all of us wanted Rafa to stay then he would have still left. And just because we wanted Rafa out doesn't mean we wanted Hodgson in. I personally wanted O'Neill or some European manager and I don't think Roy fits into that category.

What if it was Hodgson who was manager last season when we got knocked out of the group stages of the UCL and finished 7th in the league what would have said then?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #534: Dec 24, 2010 12:23:26 am

You have blamed people who wanted Rafa out for bringing Hodgson in and you know very well that no matter if all of us wanted Rafa to stay then he would have still left. And just because we wanted Rafa out doesn't mean we wanted Hodgson in. I personally wanted O'Neill or some European manager and I don't think Roy fits into that category.

What if it was Hodgson who was manager last season when we got knocked out of the group stages of the UCL and finished 7th in the league what would have said then?

O'Neill - you having a laugh, a man who moaned about not being given enough money at Villa, despite nearly equalling Rafa's net spend in half the time, a man who Villa fans were glad to see the back of, a man who, like Roy, only seems to have a plan A.

Do you know what we said last year?  Rafa's fu**ed this season up but he has EARNED the chance to put it right.
      « Last Edit: Dec 24, 2010 12:29:15 am by Roddenberry »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #535: Dec 24, 2010 12:24:18 am
      Right, headlines for tomorrow are Rafa Returns To Reds. Just for arguments sake.

1) How much money is going to be needed for him to be this success? (or is it a case that we need to buy success, something most Liverpool fans moan at Chelsea and to some extent United for. And no doubt City, but they still haven't had any success)

2) How much time do we give him to "clear up the mess left by Roy"? (despite not a great deal giving Roy the time to clear up the mess originally left by Rafa)

3) If from Boxing Day onwards this season goes tits up, is it still Roy's fault or Rafa's? (this despite Hodgson being out of a job and Benitez being the Liverpool manager)

I don't think theres that much of a mess to clean up to be honest billy, say we got Mata, Turan and Dzeko, called back Insua and Aquilani, I honestly think we'd fly up the table, with the right man in charge whether that be Rafa or any one else.

To be honest the squad we have is better than our League position reflects, lets be honest here its without doubt better than Newcastle Sunderland and Boltons who are above us in the table, where as Man City, Tottenham may have the better squad, I still think we have a stronger starting XI, given were probably better in every position than them other than on the wings and left back.

So for me it's Roy's out dated tactics that are holding us back at present, this Liverpool squad barring a few exceptions have been part of a well organised machine for a number years, yet when you look at the way we play at the moment there is no orginistation from defense to midfield to attack and Roy has no idea how to change it, he just sits there rubbing his face hoping a Genie will pop out of his arse and grant him three wishes.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #536: Dec 24, 2010 12:25:30 am

That we were lucky to have achieved that under the the managership of the "donought".We expected more of Rafa because he is a far superior manager,but this gobs***e,is living up to expectations.Make no mistake,we don't seek a disfunctional Rafa, we want a competent Manager or Rafa,either of which,with a proper transfer budget.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #537: Dec 24, 2010 12:27:29 am
      with a proper transfer budget.

At least we agree on something
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #538: Dec 24, 2010 12:34:31 am

Read my last 3 posts kidda and then say I couldn't educate you.

End of the day I hold all the whoppers who phoned in radio shows, commented on media articles, phoned in sky TV, phoned in LFC T.V as responsible as I do Purslow for the sacking of Benitez, because it was people like that gave Purslow the ammunition to fire the bullets, had these fans had an informed grasp on the situation and not bought into all the sh*te spouted by sky sports, the media, ex playes etc etc and united as one, Roy would not be here simples.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #539: Dec 24, 2010 12:39:56 am
      How very insightful.

It's a forum, we discuss what we want to discuss, and if you don't like it, don't feel the need to join in.
      Just to be sure if I can join,can I disagree about Rafa or should I repeat with some of you that Rafa is the one and only?
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #540: Dec 24, 2010 12:42:40 am
      At least we agree on something
      Mate we all agree on lots of things,but the last 3 years has been so devisive,we have all become more cinical,and our "Liverpool Way" mantra has become forgotten.Debate on the new forum media is good,but we have to remember,that we are Liverpool Football Club.I,ve been here 46 years,but I respect every fan around the world,regardless of the time that they have supported the club.We are all "Shankley's Army",regardless of who our current Manager is.The successful one's will understand this,the one's who don't will fail
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #541: Dec 24, 2010 12:42:54 am

1) No quick fix, but a couple of players wouldn't go amiss in the right positions. He has already shown that he can get his teams to compete very well, given even a modest amount of backing, a la moores.

2)Not sure it's that much of a mess - yet.
      It will be by the end of the season though - in fact it has the potential to be F***ing carnage in terms of the quality we can attract, especially if we buy hodgsons targets in january, not to mention the players we might lose.

3) Rafa will need a couple of months - after that I expect not only our results, but also our performances to improve, and if Rafa is the man I think he is, he'll do it.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #542: Dec 24, 2010 12:44:14 am
      Ok 1st of all this "read my last 3 posts kidda and then say I couldn't educate you" I don't really get why you brought that into it

They are well-written and I accept your opinion unlike you who couldn't accept mine and I totally agree with you about Roy's tactics.Also, I never read the papers I know you're not generally talking about me but just saying.

And why is it that when anyone on here says they don't want Benitez back at the club they get slated?

I mean accept it FFS
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #543: Dec 24, 2010 12:45:58 am

I could go on, but I'm sure you all get the gist by now. If Rafa achieved all that with any other club besides Liverpool, he would be deemed a footballing messiah by the masses. We would probably be looking on with envy thinking "f**k me, thats that ex Valencia guy who schooled us at Anfield 7 years ago, how the f**k did he get that lot to 2 champions league finals? I'd give my left bollock to have him as Liverpool Manager"

An excellent post, even though I don't agree with everything you have written.

There is little doubt that if you look at RB's career overall, he would rank as one of the elite manager's in the game.  Maybe I am the only one who sees parallels with SAF's career :-
      - success at a relatively small club who challenged the traditional duopoly (Valencia and Aberdeen)
      - moves to a traditional powerhouse of English football without a league title for many years

The fundamental difference occurs when the manager comes under pressure - SAF retained, RB leaves.  MUFC kept on improving under SAF and ended their wait - LFC have regressed under new management and the league title seems as far away as ever.

RB seems to polarise opinions as SAF did at MU - remember MUFC fans calling for his head when 3-0 down to AV on opening day ?  However, the MUFC sceptics lost out when the league was won whereas for LFC, the debate rages.

He would not be my first choice to replace RH as IMO the club needs a new manager without the inevitable baggage that RB would bring - but I will say that the club could do a hell of a lot worse than re-appointing him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #544: Dec 24, 2010 12:46:09 am
      Just to be sure if I can join,can I disagree about Rafa or should I repeat with some of you that Rafa is the one and only?

I'm not saying he's the one and only, but from who's available at the moment, he's the best candidate in my eyes, 2004 I remember Rafael Benitez coming in and rebuilding a squad that went to stamp it's authority on Europe once again, then two blithering idiots started to raid to the pots of gold that were being generated by our sucesses and sell of some of the silverware to service the debt and the wheels fell off, under new owners and sustainable investment that revival could start again.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #545: Dec 24, 2010 12:48:33 am

Well mate whatever they tell you, you say that you don't want Rafa back and they just can't accept it
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #546: Dec 24, 2010 12:50:16 am

"agent provocateur" methinks Billy.Give it up mate,we could spend Christmus,slaying WUMS.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #547: Dec 24, 2010 12:54:09 am
      I'm not saying he's the one and only, but from who's available at the moment, he's the best candidate in my eyes, 2004 I remember Rafael Benitez coming in and rebuilding a squad that went to stamp it's authority on Europe once again, then two blithering idiots started to raid to the pots of gold that were being generated by our sucesses and sell of some of the silverware to service the debt and the wheels fell off, under new owners and sustainable investment that revival could start again.
      well,this is a good answer,thanks.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #548: Dec 24, 2010 01:12:58 am
      So apparently he's back.Time for the anti-Rafa brigade to stand up and be counted.Who do you want to replace Hodgson,or are you happy with his performance.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #549: Dec 24, 2010 01:14:06 am
      wRight,here we go.Rafa or Woy? Simple. A man who is clue'd or a clueless auld tw*t.
      One who loves the club or one who is only interested in self preservation. Take your pick.
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #550: Dec 24, 2010 01:20:29 am
      wRight,here we go.Rafa or Woy? Simple. A man who is clue'd or a clueless auld tw*t.
      One who loves the club or one who is only interested in self preservation. Take your pick.

No contest - but its not Rafa v Roy is it ?  There are other choices and I for one would prefer neither of them to be honest.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #551: Dec 24, 2010 01:20:38 am
      There's always an option 'C' ;)

Quick Reply