Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Rafa: "Liverpool is my home - I'll be back"

Read 46648 times
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Re: Rafa: "Liverpool is my home - I'll be back"
      Reply #552: Dec 24, 2010 01:26:34 am
      No contest - but its not Rafa v Roy is it ?  There are other choices and I for one would prefer neither of them to be honest.
      so what are the choices? i agree its not just rafa or woy,all im saying is one understands our club the other is a complete clueless arse. who do you recommend at the moment?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #553: Dec 24, 2010 01:31:48 am
      No It ISNT Rafa v Roy and it would be ridiculous for this to descend into that one.

Rafa went. Bye Bye.

Clown Appointed. Bye Bye.

The two things are completely seperate.

Ive asked this once and Ill ask it again.

If we were sitting in the top four or even leading the league with a different manager would we be even wasting our time with all this sh*te?

No.. we wouldnt .....because Benitez and 2010 would all soon be history.

Simples.
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #554: Dec 24, 2010 01:32:56 am
      so what are the choices? I agree its not just rafa or woy,all im saying is one understands our club the other is a complete clueless arse. who do you recommend at the moment?

As per my previous post - neither ! Would like RH to go, but don't think RB is the right choice.  Hence, an interim manager (Kenny would be fine) until a long term replacement can be appointed
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #555: Dec 24, 2010 01:35:12 am

I don't think theres that much of a mess to clean up to be honest billy, say we got Mata, Turan and Dzeko, called back Insua and Aquilani, I honestly think we'd fly up the table, with the right man in charge whether that be Rafa or any one else.

To be honest the squad we have is better than our League position reflects, lets be honest here its without doubt better than Newcastle Sunderland and Boltons who are above us in the table, where as Man City, Tottenham may have the better squad, I still think we have a stronger starting XI, given were probably better in every position than them other than on the wings and left back.

So for me it's Roy's out dated tactics that are holding us back at present, this Liverpool squad barring a few exceptions have been part of a well organised machine for a number years, yet when you look at the way we play at the moment there is no orginistation from defense to midfield to attack and Roy has no idea how to change it, he just sits there rubbing his face hoping a Genie will pop out of his arse and grant him three wishes.

Our squad should be better than the League position shows, but then again is it? I mean we have some very average players in the squad, some of whom are playing week in week out. I know you need the donkey work players, but we have too many in the starting XI let alone the squad. If we're talking three players to sign though, I'd go hell bent on Modric, Adam Johnson and Kevin Doyle. Modric because he gives us the flare in the middle of the park we don't have, Johnson for an out and out winger with pace and Doyle because if we return to one up front (which we probably will should Rafa return) then Doyle would be perfect to replace Nando if, and when, he's injured. Doyle will chase every ball, can hold the ball up and scores a few when given the chances.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #556: Dec 24, 2010 01:39:50 am
      wRight,here we go.Rafa or Woy? Simple. A man who is clue'd or a clueless auld tw*t.
      One who loves the club or one who is only interested in self preservation. Take your pick.

Obviously if I have to choose between one of the two I would pick Rafa any day,but that is not the point.Neither is the obvious fact that he loves the club and the city,but is he the right man now? Too soon imo,he just left.Why not somebody else? There´s a whole new generation of coaches that can bring us long lasting happiness,why insist with Rafa? just dont see it guys,you know about second parts.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #557: Dec 24, 2010 01:43:35 am
      There's always an option 'C' ;)

There is not even a plan B under Roy - how  did you get a C?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #558: Dec 24, 2010 01:48:19 am
      1) No quick fix, but a couple of players wouldn't go amiss in the right positions. He has already shown that he can get his teams to compete very well, given even a modest amount of backing, a la moores.

2)Not sure it's that much of a mess - yet.
      It will be by the end of the season though - in fact it has the potential to be F***ing carnage in terms of the quality we can attract, especially if we buy hodgsons targets in january, not to mention the players we might lose.

3) Rafa will need a couple of months - after that I expect not only our results, but also our performances to improve, and if Rafa is the man I think he is, he'll do it.

1) Fair enough, we need a couple of players. I've just listed who I'd like my post above.

2) For me is it a mess. The squad, in my eyes, is brimming with average players. There's not enough quality around the pitch for Liverpool to strike fear into sides and that for Liverpool Football Club is a mess. It probably will get worse if things continue as they are and we lose a few other players.

3) So if he needs a couple of months, coming in half way through a season and then needing a couple of extra months means the season is practically over before we get moving. So in theory, it's gonna be next season until we see the real benefit of Rafa Benitez at Liverpool again? Wouldn't it make sense for him to stay clear until the summer rather than get the strain of a couple of months of the flack that's bound to come his way?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #559: Dec 24, 2010 01:49:18 am
      Our squad should be better than the League position shows, but then again is it? I mean we have some very average players in the squad, some of whom are playing week in week out. I know you need the donkey work players, but we have too many in the starting XI let alone the squad. If we're talking three players to sign though, I'd go hell bent on Modric, Adam Johnson and Kevin Doyle. Modric because he gives us the flare in the middle of the park we don't have, Johnson for an out and out winger with pace and Doyle because if we return to one up front (which we probably will should Rafa return) then Doyle would be perfect to replace Nando if, and when, he's injured. Doyle will chase every ball, can hold the ball up and scores a few when given the chances.

I could go with that Billy to be honest as I believe we submitted a squad of 22 so that would increase us to 25, whereas I think Adam Johnson who is quality would join us, Modric may be beyond our grasp due the Tottenham having champions league football, Doyle again not a bad shout.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #560: Dec 24, 2010 01:57:34 am
      I could go with that Billy to be honest as I believe we submitted a squad of 22 so that would increase us to 25, whereas I think Adam Johnson who is quality would join us, Modric may be beyond our grasp due the Tottenham having champions league football, Doyle again not a bad shout.

Aye I know mate about Modric being out of our reach, but he's one of two players (not playing for us) in the League I could watch all day, the other being Nasri.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #561: Dec 24, 2010 01:59:33 am

Very good three signings there although I'm sure a lot of people would want Aquilani back (don't see it happening myself).

As for your three points earlier, I don't think our squad needs that much. If we allow Wilson, Kelly, Pacheco, Shelvey and Spearing to step up to first team squad members (and then let the likes of Suso and Ngoo) join them in the future then we don't need that many signings. A left back a couple of wingers and a striker IMO. Turan/Mata/Hazard/Johnson for the wings, Mattock/Taiwo for left back. And then for striker, like you said if Rafa takes over it will be one, so someone like Doyle would be perfect. Let Ngog stay too as, I know not many people agree to this, think he has potential to become a good player.

Secondly, the mess is pretty big at the moment. Player harmony is far worse than last year, the big players aren't delivering and new signings disappointing. We have four top (Carra gets there just for me) players. Carra, Reina, Torres and Gerrard. The two that, from what I've heard, wanted Rafa out are the Carra and Gerrard. Both 30 plus. Now they have been terrific servants for this club but we cannot make any decisions based around their happiness because they are simply no longer the future for us. If they don't like Rafa, transfer list the pair of them. Reina and Torres however have years ahead of them and had no problem with Rafa. Rafa (with help of coaches obviously) helped develop the pair into world beaters. Sorting those two out sorts a lot of the mess out. Goals will be scored, less conceded.

On that basis, I'd give Rafa until the end of the season to 'sort the mess'. From next season I would expect (with a bit of money) Liverpool back in the top four and consistently battling for trophies.

And if this season goes tits up, Roy will have done the most significant damage of the two of them. Even last year when we were poor, we looked like we could win most of the games we played. None of that this season and Roy's methods which have let to an even more fractured squad won't heal overnight.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #562: Dec 24, 2010 02:15:32 am
      he brought a house here but he is a control freak dont think he is good fit now with new owners. but hope he can mellow a bit. but if new owners want him thats good enough for me. he loves liverpool. get him in before roy buys crap. then he can decide who to buy  and sell. 
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #563: Dec 24, 2010 02:37:06 am
      Rafa or Woy?

Erm, there is no comparison!

Roy is frikin useless and thank god we all agree on that but Rafa has had his time and we should be looking forwards not backwards... IMO anyways.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #564: Dec 24, 2010 02:54:27 am
      There is not even a plan B under Roy - how  did you get a C?

Wasn't saying under roy

I meant the question asked
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #565: Dec 24, 2010 07:56:55 am
      "Liverpool is my home - I'll be back"

NO YOU WON'T..............
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #566: Dec 24, 2010 08:10:21 am
      "Liverpool is my home - I'll be back"

NO YOU WON'T..............

He is though.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #567: Dec 24, 2010 08:21:59 am
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #568: Dec 24, 2010 08:45:03 am
      I think Rafa is still the right man for the job. He got dicked around by the board and then stabbed in the back. I'd like to see ANY world class manager put up with the sh*t he had to put up with and still win the trophies he won for us. I don't care who, Hiddink, Mourinho, Fergie anyone! They would not have won those trophies with the funds Rafa dealt with. Sure his last season was under par but if he is given the chance to buy the world class players that NESV reckon they are going to go for then he will win the league. I'm not saying Rafa is better than Hiddink and co, infact Hiddink is the one manager I would probably take over Rafa if he wanted the job. But Rafa is the right man for this club, Rafa is Liverpool, its his home.

I don't want to see Dodgson's version of Liverpool, I want to see the real Liverpool with a man who suits the clubs style and tradition and that's Rafa...
      LFCexiled
      Reply #569: Dec 24, 2010 08:54:49 am
      Out of all the posts relating to Rafa's possible return as Manager of LFC the one recurring theme from those against his return is that the man has faults, who exactly is this mythical faultless manager you want as LFC manager in his place?
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #570: Dec 24, 2010 08:59:15 am
      Out of all the posts relating to Rafa's possible return as Manager of LFC the one recurring theme from those against his return is that the man has faults, who exactly is this mythical faultless manager you want as LFC manager in his place?

hahaha amen!
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #571: Dec 24, 2010 09:02:54 am
      Depends what you mean by faults? But let's not go into them as will only drag the thread down again. But can I ask you a question, Aldo has come out today to say that Rafa should not be allowed back at Anfield as he has already done to much damage. So to list but a few.
      Hunt
      St John
      Fowler
      Hansen
      Lawernson
      Aldo
      Houghton
      Not goin to list very ex player Legend or manager that think Rafa was wrong but the list is very long. So what does the average fan know that most professionals in football can't see ?.. Don't give me all this PR rubbish as a lot have nothing to do with the media anymore, I remember St John being in tears on .TV as he was so annoyed.

Oh to balance the books I know of one Rafa backer who was in the game the einstein that was Mcateer........
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #572: Dec 24, 2010 09:11:31 am
      Rafa had his time its over now let it go.

Just because Rafa is back at homein Caldy for christmas
      doesnt mean he will get his old job back.

We would be a laughing stock to take him back 6 months on
      his coaching capabilities are obviously on the wane.

His reign in Milan was short lived to say the least even
      Woy lasted longer.

Anyway he can can well afford a couple of years off the
      amount he fleeced out of his beloved Liverpool & now
      Inter..

Get on Sky Rafa i here it pays well....

LFCexiled
      Reply #573: Dec 24, 2010 09:18:49 am
      Depends what you mean by faults? But let's not go into them as will only drag the thread down again. But can I ask you a question, Aldo has come out today to say that Rafa should not be allowed back at Anfield as he has already done to much damage. So to list but a few.
      Hunt
      St John
      Fowler
      Hansen
      Lawernson
      Aldo
      Houghton
      Not goin to list very ex player Legend or manager that think Rafa was wrong but the list is very long. So what does the average fan know that most professionals in football can't see ?.. Don't give me all this PR rubbish as a lot have nothing to do with the media anymore, I remember St John being in tears on .TV as he was so annoyed.

Oh to balance the books I know of one Rafa backer who was in the game the einstein that was Mcateer........

You didn't really balance the books by throwing in the two short planks did you Gaz?

The point of my post is to highlight that any Manager we get will have faults which we will debate in this forum. Ex players will always have opinions whether they're paid to say it or not. The question I asked is who is out there that doesn't have faults? You gloss over my point by saying you  don't want to drag the thread down, doesn't usually stop you but obviously on this occasion it suits you Gaz.

Deep down you know he's the best man for the job but you're stuck in a groove.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #574: Dec 24, 2010 09:22:27 am
      yesss, rafa does have his faults.
      However, many people in the world do, even with mourinho, the style of football is boring, however with rafas expansive style, we dominated most games, and since when did you not see a successful liverpool team dominating most if not all games throughout the season. The man clicks with our style, and yes he did make some strange decisions, like taking gerrard off at reading a few years ago, when we needed a win, but then we could only rely on gerrard/torres to score for us, because the owners were here...suffocating our clubs development, therefore rafa had to settle for jermaine pennant instead of dani alves, there were numerous more transfers that didnt have rafas backing, ROBBIE KEANE!? The problem there was, he played in the either position of our 2 best players...so we couldnt fit him in...as we were using 4-2-3-1 brilliantly then, but again it comes to a lack of depth in the squad...take last season...say we had a first eleven of reina, johnson, Carra, agger, aurelio, masch, lucas, kuyt, gerrard, maxi, torres
      If any of them  they got injured, we'd have no decent coever other than at cb...out of...
      Cavalieri
      Darby/kelly (both have potential...but inexperienced, so unwise choice against teams like chelsea)
      Sotos - first class
      Skrtel - a bit dodgy at times
      Insua - same as darby/kelly
      Aquilani - injured and needs time to adjust to england
      Spearing - inexperienced...again with potential
      Plessis - think we were starting to relize he wasnt good enough
      Kuyt - ok he tries hard but hes NOT a right winger, should be cover for nando, but never was used there...ok this was rafas fault
      Sorry who? Can't find anyone in the squad able to replace gerrard?
      Riera/Babel - Riera...had been out of order and was inconsistent at best, babel you feel like he could explode but until he does would you feel comfortable putting him out against rafael? Bosingwa? Sagna? All would have it easy unless babel suddenly went bang and became amazing
      N'gog - potential...but nowhere near yet, however he is developping at quite a rate i.m.o.

So there we are, the only ones that are rafas fault i.m.o. Are kuyt, babel  and n'gog...and thats being very critical, kuyt because of him being played not completely in his natural position, babel and n'gog were bought for the future, and thrown in early because rafa wasnt allowed money to by other replacements, leaving us most of the time trying to fit a square peg in a round hole...say we needed a target man...crouch style...wed have noone to win balls in the air...torres isnt bad, but hes not andy carroll, and so n'gog or babel...pacy strikers...would have to win aerial balls...and that was never going to be easy, however with a fully fit starting lineup, i honestly believe that last years team was good enough to beat anyone, like the 2008-09 season...now what more did rafa supposedly do wrong?

Quick Reply