Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (15.9%)
      Sotis Kyrgiakos
      (43%)
      Raul Meireles
      (10.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (23.4%)
      Joe Cole
      (7.5%)

Liverpool 1 - 2 Blackpool: In game and Post Match Nightmares

Read 79189 times
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Re: Liverpool 1 - 2 Blackpool: Post Match Nightmares
      Reply #1012: Oct 04, 2010 06:42:36 am
      The killer pass to the Blackpool player who got the penalty and that set up for the second goal was brilliant. We haven't done that in a million years and probably can't either.

Those two incidents highlight how poor we have been, as a Premier League giant.

That's because the only man that could try and actually achieve slick alonso style passes is eating pasta at Juventus right now.

Today watching the game made me want to suicide. We could have had an amazing amazing midfield if we hadn't lost Masch and F***ing loaned Aqua. I mean, you're not supposed do that if you're going to replace them with a 30yo w**ker and a CM that you'll use as a RM, sending our former RM to play where Gerrard used to play, sending Gerrard back to CM next to the useless 30yo w**ker and leaving Lucas out of the team when he was kind of improving last season. I mean what the F**k is going on?

And why Poulsen. Why oh god why oh god why oh god whyyy
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1013: Oct 04, 2010 06:50:03 am
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943439/Liverpool-1-Blackpool-2-match-report.html

It was coming. After defeat at Manchester City, after distress at Old Trafford, after despair the night Northampton stormed Anfield, it was coming. After 13 games and 89 minutes, the Kop returned its verdict on Roy Hodgson’s nascent reign as Liverpool manager.
      It came in one stark, solitary word. No elaboration needed. “Dalglish”.

At any club, after such a short space of time, hearing fans demand the manager be replaced, even by a legend, would be surprising.

At Liverpool, such things are almost unheard of.

This is a club which prides itself on its patience and its loyalty.

It is also, though, a club which has developed an acute nose for mismanagement over the last three years.

Long before Ian Holloway’s Blackpool side were applauded from the pitch by all four sides of Anfield, before a Charlie Adam penalty and a Luke Varney strike condemned Liverpool to spend the international break in the relegation zone, some 3,000 fans had gathered to march against off-field incompetence. Still more remained afterwards to reiterate that the continued presence of the club’s owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, will not be tolerated.

But in that one word, in the torrent of boos which greeted the half-time and full-time whistles, it became clear that such militancy will not be limited to the boardroom.

The Boot Room will be subjected to the same scrutiny.

The fans will no more see their club in the wrong hands on the pitch than they will off it. They do not want a Liverpool side which has, in consecutive games, been dominated by Northampton, Sunderland and Blackpool. They do not want a side which has no ideas, fluency, width, penetration, guile or movement. They do not want visitors to come to Anfield and fancy their chances.

They do not want to see a manager - appointed by managing director Christian Purslow to bring attractive football, to unite the dressing room and to steer a course through troubled waters - field a centre-back up front, produce a team with no discernible spirit and plunge the club to its lowest position in years.

Yet that is where, after 14 games of his reign, Hodgson’s Liverpool stand.

It is too early to suggest that the board which only four months ago introduced him as the man to right all of Rafael Benítez’s wrongs will withdraw its support. He retains the faith of the club’s shareholders. Its stakeholders may be lost to him.

Holloway, inadvertently, offered the most eloquent, poignant description as to why. “To be applauded off at what is almost the home of football is so special,” he said. “That is what I dreamed of last night. When they were singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone’, which was my Dad’s favourite song, I was so emotional. He is no longer with us, so I was singing along with them.

“These supporters have seen some of the best football ever, which started when Mr Shankly had his dream. In my era, there was no better football club in the world.”

It is almost impossible, with this team, with this manager and with these owners, to equate such sentiments with Liverpool. The weight of history hangs heavily on the club’s shoulders.

Holloway suggested after the game that such a burden may partly explain why Hodgson’s players struggled, why they so generously afforded their guests a head start. After all, as one fan reminded the Blackpool manager, the visitors “are not exactly Real Madrid”. Quite so. The last time Real were here, they were beaten 4-0.

But then Liverpool are not exactly Liverpool any more.

Instead, they are a side which lost here because they deserved to and a club in the relegation zone because they deserve to be there. Holloway might have suggested that his side “clung on”, that their defending reminded him of the Alamo, but such remarks say more about what he thinks of Liverpool as an institution than as a team.

His opinion of the latter is not nearly so high. That much was clear from his team-sheet, with no holding midfielder, and from his side’s kick-off, when five men thundered into Liverpool’s half, a statement of intent.

They warranted their lead, for their play and their ambition. Adam had stung Pepe Reina’s palms with a free-kick and DJ Campbell and Varney had all gone close - their hosts, rocked by the loss of Fernando Torres, did not create chances so much as allude to attacking - before Varney was tripped by Glen Johnson and Adam converted the penalty.

They merited their second, too, a fine move inspired by Gary Taylor-Fletcher and capped by Varney, clipping a beautifully-weighted through ball past Reina. And they deserved to weather Liverpool’s second-half storm, triggered by Sotirios Kyrgiakos’s thundering header, but which petered out once Meireles and Joe Cole had gone close.

Blackpool might even have had a third, through DJ Campbell, before Hodgson threw his Greek central defender up front. He went close twice, but the artisan was to prove no more effective than the artists. The chant for Dalglish began. Hodgson’s clock began to tick.

An excellent article.
      Holloway didnt lower his expectations of Liverpool Football Club   Mr Hodgson.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1014: Oct 04, 2010 07:45:25 am
      F***ing hell, that was a F***ing shambles.

We played 30 minutes of Liverpool Football from the start of the 2nd half to the 75 minute mark. They couldn't touch us.

What the F**k happened in the first half with shambolic play from all of our players and then the total disgrace of just stopping and giving up at the 75 minute mark.

Players need to have a good hard F***ing look at themselves. It doesn't matter that Torres went off so early, the players wearing that shirt should have beaten Blackpool comfortably. I'm F***ing sick of us getting the ball into the final third with no end product.

Pull your fingers out of your arse and remember all those legends who played on that same hallowed turf that you are lucky to be playing on! PRIDE and PASSION were the two words mentioned before. How about you guys try and F***ing find some and quick.

As for Roy and his tactics, the sooner we get rid of him and them the better. Can't believe he started with Poulsen again.  :mad: :mad: What the F**k does he see in him? Defensively we were F***ing appalling, we got thrashed through the middle in the first half and we were F***ing non existent in the front 3rd ...surprise, surprise ...for a defender to get our only goal at home is F***ing disgraceful.

Wake the F**k up Roy and you the players and realize the sh*t you are putting us fans through. We are the laughing stock of the league and if you don't get your sh*t together soon there's gonna be a riot at Anfield.

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #1015: Oct 04, 2010 09:33:25 am
      Still can't believe it. What a shambles we are !!

No pride , no passion , no clue !!!

As one pundit said yesterday , you can have  a team full of Internationals but if they are not managed properly and not motivated they won't perform.

We all know the rumours about player power and Rafa leaving. I hope that even if their is only a smidgeon of truth in them that the players involved are truly ashamed of themselves. They brought this situation about , so it's about time they tried to do something to rectify it.
      For God's sake grow a backbone and wear the shirt with pride , if you can't do that then you're you're no good to us !!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1016: Oct 04, 2010 09:43:07 am
      Could be Kuyt on the right, Gerrard in the hole with Cole on the left? Meireles and Poulsen in the center.

why play poulson at all? he's been sh!t. when carrick had a few bad games, fergie dropped him. when deco had a few bad games, murinho dropped him. that's the way it f*cking works. play miereles there with gerrard as attacking mid. cole on left, kuyt/maxi on right and the play torres and kuyt/ngog up front.

i was prepared to give roy a chance and i kept saying 'give him a run of games, he's only had 2 or 3 games so far. everyone deserves a chance'. but now i'm sick of this sh!t. playing sh!t defensive tactics with players out of position week in week out. sick of it.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #1017: Oct 04, 2010 09:50:50 am
      Holloway, inadvertently, offered the most eloquent, poignant description as to why. “To be applauded off at what is almost the home of football is so special,” he said. “That is what I dreamed of last night. When they were singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone’, which was my Dad’s favourite song, I was so emotional. He is no longer with us, so I was singing along with them.

“These supporters have seen some of the best football ever, which started when Mr Shankly had his dream. In my era, there was no better football club in the world.”

Ian Holloway understands us as a club more than 'our' manager.

As far as Hodgsons concerned it's 'This Is Anfield' home of the..........

TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1018: Oct 04, 2010 10:07:43 am
      Why the F**k do I find myself nodding in appreciation at the opposition managers comments and fuming at the Liverpool manager...? :'(
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #1019: Oct 04, 2010 10:17:08 am
      Gutted,was one those who applauded Blackpool off.Johnson in my opinion doesnt give a sh*t,Poulsen isnt up to scratch.We have serious problems.Sotis was my man of the match.Now i am really worried.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #1020: Oct 04, 2010 10:24:27 am
      Could,nt believe what was happening yesterday, i feel a whole lot worse today. How can we get out of this mess? I dont think Woy has a clue, tough times ahead. The players that we have really have to take a long hard look at themselves also, no fight for the shirt they are wearing.
      I dont know what else to say.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #1021: Oct 04, 2010 10:30:07 am
      A lot people have lost their senses lately.

First of all, we have some players who are not really the world beater on their respective positions.
      Secondly, we have several players off form
      Thirdly, we have a soso manager.

Sorry but you need how many F***ing world beater to beat Northampton, FC Utrecht and Blackpool ?
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • JĂŒrgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #1022: Oct 04, 2010 10:32:45 am
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943439/Liverpool-1-Blackpool-2-match-report.html

It was coming. After defeat at Manchester City, after distress at Old Trafford, after despair the night Northampton stormed Anfield, it was coming. After 13 games and 89 minutes, the Kop returned its verdict on Roy Hodgson’s nascent reign as Liverpool manager.
      It came in one stark, solitary word. No elaboration needed. “Dalglish”.

At any club, after such a short space of time, hearing fans demand the manager be replaced, even by a legend, would be surprising.

At Liverpool, such things are almost unheard of.

This is a club which prides itself on its patience and its loyalty.

It is also, though, a club which has developed an acute nose for mismanagement over the last three years.

Long before Ian Holloway’s Blackpool side were applauded from the pitch by all four sides of Anfield, before a Charlie Adam penalty and a Luke Varney strike condemned Liverpool to spend the international break in the relegation zone, some 3,000 fans had gathered to march against off-field incompetence. Still more remained afterwards to reiterate that the continued presence of the club’s owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, will not be tolerated.

But in that one word, in the torrent of boos which greeted the half-time and full-time whistles, it became clear that such militancy will not be limited to the boardroom.

The Boot Room will be subjected to the same scrutiny.

The fans will no more see their club in the wrong hands on the pitch than they will off it. They do not want a Liverpool side which has, in consecutive games, been dominated by Northampton, Sunderland and Blackpool. They do not want a side which has no ideas, fluency, width, penetration, guile or movement. They do not want visitors to come to Anfield and fancy their chances.

They do not want to see a manager - appointed by managing director Christian Purslow to bring attractive football, to unite the dressing room and to steer a course through troubled waters - field a centre-back up front, produce a team with no discernible spirit and plunge the club to its lowest position in years.

Yet that is where, after 14 games of his reign, Hodgson’s Liverpool stand.

It is too early to suggest that the board which only four months ago introduced him as the man to right all of Rafael Benítez’s wrongs will withdraw its support. He retains the faith of the club’s shareholders. Its stakeholders may be lost to him.

It is almost impossible, with this team, with this manager and with these owners, to equate such sentiments with Liverpool. The weight of history hangs heavily on the club’s shoulders.

Holloway suggested after the game that such a burden may partly explain why Hodgson’s players struggled, why they so generously afforded their guests a head start. After all, as one fan reminded the Blackpool manager, the visitors “are not exactly Real Madrid”. Quite so. The last time Real were here, they were beaten 4-0.

But then Liverpool are not exactly Liverpool any more.

Instead, they are a side which lost here because they deserved to and a club in the relegation zone because they deserve to be there. Holloway might have suggested that his side “clung on”, that their defending reminded him of the Alamo, but such remarks say more about what he thinks of Liverpool as an institution than as a team.

His opinion of the latter is not nearly so high. That much was clear from his team-sheet, with no holding midfielder, and from his side’s kick-off, when five men thundered into Liverpool’s half, a statement of intent.

They warranted their lead, for their play and their ambition. Adam had stung Pepe Reina’s palms with a free-kick and DJ Campbell and Varney had all gone close - their hosts, rocked by the loss of Fernando Torres, did not create chances so much as allude to attacking - before Varney was tripped by Glen Johnson and Adam converted the penalty.

They merited their second, too, a fine move inspired by Gary Taylor-Fletcher and capped by Varney, clipping a beautifully-weighted through ball past Reina. And they deserved to weather Liverpool’s second-half storm, triggered by Sotirios Kyrgiakos’s thundering header, but which petered out once Meireles and Joe Cole had gone close.

Blackpool might even have had a third, through DJ Campbell, before Hodgson threw his Greek central defender up front. He went close twice, but the artisan was to prove no more effective than the artists. The chant for Dalglish began. Hodgson’s clock began to tick.

An excellent article.
      Holloway didnt lower his expectations of Liverpool Football Club   Mr Hodgson.

Read this and weep Woy.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1023: Oct 04, 2010 10:42:40 am

Read it, weep, then read it again and resign ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1024: Oct 04, 2010 10:43:55 am
      the only reason I can think of for our performances this season is it is a conspiracy by the players to force the hands of Twit and T**t to sell the club

The thought flashed across my mind as well.  But unfortunately they aren't that clever.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #1025: Oct 04, 2010 10:47:06 am
      ÂŁ10 on Adam to score first and Blackpool to win 2-1 would have given you a return of ÂŁ3920.

We should've all put ÂŁ100 on and bought the club. If anyone can sort a match fix without some scummy paper finding out it'll be a very Scouse takeover at the expense of the bookies.  :f_tongueincheek:
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #1026: Oct 04, 2010 11:13:50 am
       :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah:
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1027: Oct 04, 2010 11:28:57 am
      ÂŁ10 on Adam to score first and Blackpool to win 2-1 would have given you a return of ÂŁ3920.

We should've all put ÂŁ100 on and bought the club. If anyone can sort a match fix without some scummy paper finding out it'll be a very Scouse takeover at the expense of the bookies.  :f_tongueincheek:

Great plan, I'll just hop in the car and put that bet on.

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #1028: Oct 04, 2010 12:54:38 pm

Hang on ayrton, here's my lottery numbers, 4 9 14 25 38 49
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1029: Oct 04, 2010 01:00:16 pm

That is obviously not going to work.  Look at the number plate - it is not the real time travelling car, that had a barcode!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Liverpool 1 - 2 Blackpool: In game and Post Match Nightmares
      Reply #1030: Oct 04, 2010 02:44:40 pm
      The thought flashed across my mind as well.  But unfortunately they aren't that clever.

What's got an I.Q. of 144?

A gross of Carraghers. Taxi.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1031: Oct 04, 2010 04:43:39 pm
      the writing"s been on the wall for a long time about the demise of our beautiful club wejust didnt want to see it
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #1032: Oct 04, 2010 05:24:49 pm
      Was it a penalty against Johnson? I am not so sure after watching the highlights again. Johnson stood his ground and the Blackpool player ran almost straight into him. What was Johnson suppose to do? Move out of the way for the attacker to have a free run towards the goal!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1033: Oct 04, 2010 05:27:53 pm
      Well that day has now come, the day where teams will no longer come to Anfield with fear, instead the belief that they can go away with all 3 points. Disgraceful, diabolic and woeful doesn't even begin to cut it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1034: Oct 04, 2010 05:34:15 pm
      Hang on ayrton, here's my lottery numbers, 4 9 14 25 38 49

Good reminder that.

I'll wait 'til Saturday, since there's €129 million to win on the Euromillions Friday.

I'll give half of that to our new manager to spend as well since I'm a generous soul. ;)

Quick Reply