Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (15.9%)
      Sotis Kyrgiakos
      (43%)
      Raul Meireles
      (10.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (23.4%)
      Joe Cole
      (7.5%)

Liverpool 1 - 2 Blackpool: In game and Post Match Nightmares

Read 79547 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Liverpool 1 - 2 Blackpool: In game and Post Match Nightmares
      Reply #1035: Oct 04, 2010 06:09:33 pm

I'll give half of that to our new manager to spend as well since I'm a generous soul. ;)

Are you mad?! The Yanks would end up getting their hands on it and putting it towards the debts. Wait until the new owner comes in ;)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1036: Oct 04, 2010 06:13:22 pm
      Are you mad?! The Yanks would end up getting their hands on it and putting it towards the debts. Wait until the new owner comes in ;)

If you read back a bit you'd see the club would already have been bought!

Reply #1025. ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1037: Oct 04, 2010 06:15:45 pm
      If you read back a bit you'd see the club would already have been bought!

Reply #1025. ;)

Rookie error. It's been a long day :laugh:

As you were ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1038: Oct 04, 2010 07:41:27 pm
      Its an even longer day.
      Look who is putting his hat in the ring now.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/04/2149769/liverpool-legend-graeme-souness-reds-facing-most-difficult

Wondered when he would come out of his hole.

Former Liverpool player and manager Graeme Souness has declared the club's current situation "the most difficult period" in its modern history.

Roy Hodgson's side sit in 18th place in the Premier League table after yesterday's shock 2-1 defeat to Blackpool left them on just six points. The turmoil on the pitch is matched in the boardroom as owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks continue to struggle to find a buyer in the face of mounting debts.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Souness - who lifted 15 major honours in his time at Anfield from 1978-1984 - believed the ex-Fulham boss faces the toughest task in more than 50 years.

He said:
      ''This is the most difficult period in Liverpool's modern history.
      Roy Hodgson has a great track record as a coach wherever he's been but I think he's taken over at Liverpool at a hard time.

"He probably has the hardest job of any Liverpool manager since Bill Shankly.
      I think he will get time because the Liverpool supporters always give the manager time but it's a monster job."

Job for big boys then Souness eh?
      Out of your depth as well.....you who broke the mould.

Banked your cheque from Sky then?
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 992 posts | 68 
      Reply #1039: Oct 04, 2010 07:58:13 pm
      My son said to me today after going to school and hearing lots of comments about liverpool " Dad , what happened to Leeds UTD because people are saying that's what happening to our club?"
      Stiffening my resolve i replied " no son , don't worry about that , it will never happen to us , we are Liverpool football club, we stand together and no matter what we are up against , we will come through and be more powerful than we were before".
      My son looked happy and went off to play FIFA.
      Its only a small story but i hope that will be the case  because i am running out of reassuring words to say and i am sure that all Liverpool fans are having their resolve tested to the limit right now.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #1040: Oct 04, 2010 08:28:58 pm
      F***ing hell i dont even know what to say.
      I have never been one to blame the manager, & i firmly believe Rafa would have redeemed himself if he had been here another season.

I dont know what Roy is doing, his tactics are obviously not working- the players cant keep posession to save their lives.
      F***ing Blackpool!

Surely this is rock bottom?

How did we manage to go from 2nd, to 7th to F***ing relegation battle!
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #1041: Oct 04, 2010 09:51:13 pm
      Roy Hodgson = Robbie Keane?

Buying Robbie Keane was arguably one of Benitez' biggest mistakes. It was the last major purchase that wasn't financed with outgoing sales (as when Alonso paid for Aquilani and Johnson), and it turned out to be a massive bust.

However, Rafa realized it in short order, and shipped Keane out at the first opportunity. Having paid £19m for the player, Liverpool recouped somewhere between £12-16m, depending on unannounced add-ons that may or may not have been reached. Granted, £3-7m is still a loss, and that the manager wasn't allowed to use those funds to replace the player still frustrates, but Liverpool knew when to cut its losses, and still came the closest to winning the league since the trophy was last lifted in 1990. Since then, Keane's barely featured for Spurs, and was loaned to Celtic last spring, who refused to pony up whatever Tottenham demanded for the player. Now, the former captain is behind Defoe, Crouch, and Paylyuchenko in the pecking order, and Spurs couldn't give him away during the summer transfer window. Had Liverpool kept Keane for the entirety of '08-09, who knows if they would have reaped the same results, and I highly doubt they would have reaped as much in the transfer fee.

Liverpool needs to do the same thing with Roy Hodgson.

I'm as afraid of the Newcastle parallels as anyone. Liverpool has rarely been a firing club. Souness and Evans were sacked mid-season (February and November, respectively), but more often than not, the manager's given multiple chances to come good. Which, of course, is why it was so frustrating to see Benitez sacked after one bad season.

And yes, it's only been seven league games (14 in all competitions), but I fear that Hodgson will never come good. His tactics are embarrassingly outdated, unsuited to the current squad, and he's shown little clue as to what managing Liverpool means.

Let's review the tactical problems first.

Refusal to press high up the pitch. This is one of the biggest changes from Benitez's style, along with the deep backline and man-marking on set plays (we'll get there). And it's hindering Liverpool in attack. Eto'o gave an interesting interview a week ago on the topic:
      "With Mourinho we played on the counter-attack, with Benitez we press more and that's better for us forwards because we win back the ball higher up the pitch and create more chances."
      It's no coincidence that while Eto'o is thriving under Benitez, Torres is struggling under Hodgson, almost completely starved of chances. Yes, he's been injured, but he's been injured off and on for three seasons now, and still scored 17 goals in '08-09 and 22 goals in '09-10. In 38 and 32 appearances respectively. But because Liverpool's not pressing as high up the pitch, Torres is receiving the ball in deeper positions, often with his back to goal. Players like Kuyt, Cole, and Gerrard aren't able to get behind the backline when Torres does hold play up because they're coming from deeper (if Gerrard comes forward at all). Nonetheless, if we're counting set plays won (specifically, the two against United), Torres has created four goals, the most assists in the squad so far this season. But he looks a disgruntled, off-form fish out of water, and that's massively frightening given the rumors that surrounded the player this summer.

The dreadfully deep backline. I've highlighted this on multiple occasions, most notably in the average position comparison of the Sunderland matches. Liverpool's used to a high backline reliant on the offside trap, with attacking fullbacks who provide the width. Now, players like Johnson are being asked to defend at the edge of their penalty area, which leads to moments like the terrible penalty concession against Blackpool. They're basically inviting teams to attack, which Blackpool were glad to do on Sunday. Liverpool's happier hoofing the ball out of defense than playing it to the defensive midfielders and building from the back, and Agger – the most-creative center-back in the squad, has been ostracized for the bullying talents of Carragher, Skrtel, and Kyrgiakos. The Dane's played nine times this season. He's been a center-back twice, against Steaua and Northampton. He's been a left-back in all six of his league appearances, including thrice off the bench because Konchesky got injured.

Lack of width. Yes, width was a problem under Rafa as well. It has been since the days of Barnes and McManaman. But we rarely saw a central midfielder forced out to the right; it's diabolically baffling that Meireles continues to play there, and it's no surprise the Portuguese looked twice the player when moving centrally in the last 30 minutes against Blackpool. At the same time, Kuyt, Cole, and Jovanovic aren't 4-4-2 wingers. Benitez's 4-2-3-1 system (while pressing high up the pitch) played to Kuyt's strengths – as he did with Holland during the World Cup – but asking him to play as a typical out-and-out winger highlights his deficiencies on the ball and on the touchline. If he, or Cole, or Jovanovic come inside, the fullback's completely exposed because there's no one like Mascherano to cover. And Cole's had the same problems when deployed on the left (as has Jovanovic), leading to the incredibly narrow formation. This is the one difference to Hodgson's formation at Fulham, where he used "opposite wingers" like Duff and Davies (left-footers on the right, right-footers on the left, allowing players to cut in and shoot) to good effect.

Man-marking on set plays. Zonal marking was a stick used to unfairly beat Benitez throughout his tenure, but like pressing high up the pitch, it was a tactic suited to the players in the squad. Liverpool's not the tallest team, and aside from Hyypiä and Kyrgiakos, Liverpool hasn't had aerially-dominate center-backs. Zonal marking helped ameliorate that weakness by marking areas instead of creating one-on-one matches where the opposition were at an advantage. At the same time, Reina, at 6'2", isn't incredibly tall as goalkeepers go. Man-marking leads to crowds around the keeper when opponents pile men into the box, making it harder for Pepe to get space and claim balls into the box.

Leaving substitutions until late. Thankfully, this changed against Blackpool, but Hodgson waited until the 75th minute against Birmingham, the 81st against Utrecht, and at the beginning of extra time against Northampton. Liverpool were level in all three. Was Hodgson really happy with the team during those matches? Were ineffective draws the goal? And we thought the last manager was stubborn in his starting XI selections...

Poulsen. This isn't truly tactical. But I'm still flummoxed that Christian Poulsen – who can't jump, can't tackle, and plays even safer, less creative passes than Lucas – has marginalized the Brazilian. Every manager has favorites, but those favorites shouldn't be keeping better, younger players out of the squad.

Shipping out Aquilani and Insua, marginalizing Agger and Lucas. We don't know how much the board (read: Purslow) is to blame for the first two. But Hodgson could have fought those battles if he so desired. Now, Liverpool has a huge hole at left-back (despite buying Konchesky and re-signing Aurelio) and Aquilani's been increasingly excellent for Juventus – paired with the defensive Felipe Melo in central midfield, no less. Not as an out-and-out attacking midfielder as we thought he needed to be. At the same time, the likes of Lucas and Agger – both better than those who have replaced them – are relegated to the second-string. The fear that both will depart in the January window heightens with each match.

And then there are the embarrassing comments, making it that much harder to respect Hodgson, leading to the belief that he just doesn't get this club or its fans. He took five days to defend Torres from Ferguson's drunken rantings after the United match. He threw his "B-team" under the bus after the loss to Northampton. He was seemingly satisfied with underwhelming draws against Birmingham, Sunderland, and Utrecht, with Liverpool arguably outplayed in all three. He ham-handedly critiqued fan's protests against the owners. And there were the recent jaw-dropping quotes in the run-up to Sunday's match, where Hodgson referred to himself as 'one of the most-respected managers in Europe.'

I've become more vehement in my critiques, and in demanding his exit, for two reasons. One, because I'm increasingly convinced Hodgson can't and won't change. Some say he needs time to implement his system, but we're seeing his system. It's the same system he used at Fulham. Defend deep, 'keep the shape', hope to strangle the opposition, and hope to get something against the run of play. It actually worked for Fulham against Liverpool in both meetings last season. But it's a small-club mentality, and it's not working with the players Liverpool has. I doubt that it ever can.

Two, because of the international break, this seems as good an opportunity as any to get a new manager in. Admittedly, the majority of first-team players will be away with their countries, but it's still two more weeks for to get settled and work with those not on international duty. And if the new man is Dalglish, he'll hit the ground running because of his familiarity with the club and players. If Liverpool failing to get a result against Everton on the 17th (God forbid) leads to Hodgson getting the sack, there are only four days before the next match at Napoli. Because of the Europa League, Liverpool has two games a week almost every week until mid-December. That schedule will really hurt a new manager's chances of settling quickly. And by then, it really could be too late.

I don't want to see Dalglish's legacy tarnished by the ownership debacle, but I truly believe we can't wait until they're finally booted out. Multiple RBS deadlines have been mooted, whether it's the 1st, 6th, 11th, or 15th of this month, but that won't be the end of the fight by any means. And because of the situation, I think Dalglish is the best choice – a legitimately safe pair of hands, unlike the manager we got this summer. Other names mooted, like Pelligrini, Rijkaard, etc., actually are untenable until the off-field situation is resolved. Dalglish is different. It's not as if he's been away from the game, living in a cave, since his last managerial position.

To use a phrase our Texan tumor will understand, know when to hold them, and know when to fold them. It's time to fold this hand before the stakes are too high to buy back in.

http://ohyoubeauty.blogspot.com/2010/10/roy-hodgson-robbie-keane.html

A brilliant piece written by nate, the man responsible for ohyoubeauty.blogspot.com - for those unfamiliar with his work, probably one of the top 5 LFC blogs out there.  He seems to sum up 90% of my feelings with his writing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1042: Oct 04, 2010 10:06:53 pm
      Excellant article, agree with it 100%. I F***ing sick of the main stream clowns like Lawton, McNulty, Clive Tysley and even our Jock Hansen posting sh*te trying to blame Raf.

Hansen posted today we should stop protesting against the owners and get behind the team. I'm F***ing disgusted and shocked by him to be honest.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #1043: Oct 04, 2010 10:21:16 pm
      F***ing hell I dont even know what to say.
      I have never been one to blame the manager, & I firmly believe Rafa would have redeemed himself if he had been here another season.

I dont know what Roy is doing, his tactics are obviously not working- the players cant keep posession to save their lives.
      F***ing Blackpool!

Surely this is rock bottom?

How did we manage to go from 2nd, to 7th to f**king relegation battle!

Rafa left a mess....Northampton proved that....4 away games I went to last year,4 dire performances.

I'd be here all night with Rafa's miracle buys.....but I'll just name one Pennant.

Let's just move on from the past now shall we,Liverpool have been in decline since 91 no Championships says all we need to know.

I don't need to hear."we are Liverpool we should be beating the likes of Blackpool"one look in to the history books and the league looked quite different once.

Anyone of you thinking of bailing out now,well I'll be glad to see the back of you,we don't need that kind of half hearted only go when were winning fickle support..

Blackpool came and were well worth their win,in fact it should have been more and I for one enjoyed theirs and Sunderland's and Northampton's performances..they were everything Liverpool weren't.

But this season of struggle will be good to watch good to be part of...it can't always be good,Liverpool weren't always so dominate,this season and the next will be different but that's what being a fan is all about,now we know what it's like for the rest but we'll come through this like many others can't,we'll have our time again like many others never will and never have..

Supporting your team now is what it's all about,it's so easy when were winning and bask in the glory over wins against teams who come and roll over but those days are gone and it will never be the same and we will never be so dominate as we once were again,so just accept it and get on with it or go and support a winning team instead....

I'm glad teams now come to Anfield and match Liverpool.....it is a football match after all.

I know most newer fans don't really understand football and go just because it's the in thing to do or because they fancy a player or he goes out with a pop star and so you'll never understand what it meant for Blackpool to win at Anfield yesterday but I do and I'm glad I seen it because it meant something and to only look for your own selfish point of view tells me all I need to know.

Just look at Fergies first 3 years,look at the home defeats and league positions.....Liverpool aren't immune to pigs and troughs and it was always going to happen at some point in history it was just a matter of when.....I'll be here right through and I'll enjoy it.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2010 10:34:11 pm by Red Horizon, Reason: Got it wrong »
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #1044: Oct 04, 2010 10:33:30 pm
      I dont understand what you`re trying to say!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #1045: Oct 04, 2010 10:42:16 pm
      Rafa left a mess....Northampton proved that.
      Stopped reading at that point. How I laughed. Rafa is to blame for us losing to Northampton? Your a beaut, and it's fans like you who have got us into this mess, by believing everything you read, and taking the media word as gospel. Clueless.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #1046: Oct 04, 2010 10:43:15 pm
      I'm just trying to put some sort of positive spin on this if possible...

I'm loath to criticise Hodgson at this moment in time though it could be anyone and he's testing my patience already with what i've seen and the players he's brought in and his comments(as Rafa did before him)....I know what i'm seeing is hard to believe...but it really was going to happen at some point in history.

It's not always milk and honey...

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1047: Oct 04, 2010 10:43:50 pm
      Rafa left a mess....Northampton proved that....4 away games I went to last year,4 dire performances.

Complete load of bollocks pal.

Are you trying to tell me Rafa picked the line up, formation tactics and substitutes against Northampton ?

That wasn't Rafa's mess pal, it was Roy's, he chose the team he chose the subs, he chose the tactics.

If we go by your logic I suppose we best get an e-mail campaign going to thank Rafa for the famous victory in tabsponzor and all the other wins he's achived in Europe this season ?
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #1048: Oct 04, 2010 10:46:20 pm
      Stopped reading at that point. How I laughed. Rafa is to blame for us losing to Northampton? Your a beaut, and it's fans like you who have got us into this mess, by believing everything you read, and taking the media word as gospel. Clueless.

Rafa's legacy....thank's Rafa..
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #1049: Oct 04, 2010 10:48:04 pm
      Rafa's legacy was making us lose to Northampton town? The mighty Northampton town? Not even going to bother how much is wrong with that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1050: Oct 04, 2010 10:53:26 pm

This is Hicks and Gilletts legacy.

SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #1051: Oct 04, 2010 10:53:50 pm
      Roy Hodgson = Robbie Keane?

Buying Robbie Keane was arguably one of Benitez' biggest mistakes. It was the last major purchase that wasn't financed with outgoing sales (as when Alonso paid for Aquilani and Johnson), and it turned out to be a massive bust.

However, Rafa realized it in short order, and shipped Keane out at the first opportunity. Having paid £19m for the player, Liverpool recouped somewhere between £12-16m, depending on unannounced add-ons that may or may not have been reached. Granted, £3-7m is still a loss, and that the manager wasn't allowed to use those funds to replace the player still frustrates, but Liverpool knew when to cut its losses, and still came the closest to winning the league since the trophy was last lifted in 1990. Since then, Keane's barely featured for Spurs, and was loaned to Celtic last spring, who refused to pony up whatever Tottenham demanded for the player. Now, the former captain is behind Defoe, Crouch, and Paylyuchenko in the pecking order, and Spurs couldn't give him away during the summer transfer window. Had Liverpool kept Keane for the entirety of '08-09, who knows if they would have reaped the same results, and I highly doubt they would have reaped as much in the transfer fee.

Liverpool needs to do the same thing with Roy Hodgson.

I'm as afraid of the Newcastle parallels as anyone. Liverpool has rarely been a firing club. Souness and Evans were sacked mid-season (February and November, respectively), but more often than not, the manager's given multiple chances to come good. Which, of course, is why it was so frustrating to see Benitez sacked after one bad season.

And yes, it's only been seven league games (14 in all competitions), but I fear that Hodgson will never come good. His tactics are embarrassingly outdated, unsuited to the current squad, and he's shown little clue as to what managing Liverpool means.

Let's review the tactical problems first.

Refusal to press high up the pitch. This is one of the biggest changes from Benitez's style, along with the deep backline and man-marking on set plays (we'll get there). And it's hindering Liverpool in attack. Eto'o gave an interesting interview a week ago on the topic:
      "With Mourinho we played on the counter-attack, with Benitez we press more and that's better for us forwards because we win back the ball higher up the pitch and create more chances."
      It's no coincidence that while Eto'o is thriving under Benitez, Torres is struggling under Hodgson, almost completely starved of chances. Yes, he's been injured, but he's been injured off and on for three seasons now, and still scored 17 goals in '08-09 and 22 goals in '09-10. In 38 and 32 appearances respectively. But because Liverpool's not pressing as high up the pitch, Torres is receiving the ball in deeper positions, often with his back to goal. Players like Kuyt, Cole, and Gerrard aren't able to get behind the backline when Torres does hold play up because they're coming from deeper (if Gerrard comes forward at all). Nonetheless, if we're counting set plays won (specifically, the two against United), Torres has created four goals, the most assists in the squad so far this season. But he looks a disgruntled, off-form fish out of water, and that's massively frightening given the rumors that surrounded the player this summer.

The dreadfully deep backline. I've highlighted this on multiple occasions, most notably in the average position comparison of the Sunderland matches. Liverpool's used to a high backline reliant on the offside trap, with attacking fullbacks who provide the width. Now, players like Johnson are being asked to defend at the edge of their penalty area, which leads to moments like the terrible penalty concession against Blackpool. They're basically inviting teams to attack, which Blackpool were glad to do on Sunday. Liverpool's happier hoofing the ball out of defense than playing it to the defensive midfielders and building from the back, and Agger – the most-creative center-back in the squad, has been ostracized for the bullying talents of Carragher, Skrtel, and Kyrgiakos. The Dane's played nine times this season. He's been a center-back twice, against Steaua and Northampton. He's been a left-back in all six of his league appearances, including thrice off the bench because Konchesky got injured.

Lack of width. Yes, width was a problem under Rafa as well. It has been since the days of Barnes and McManaman. But we rarely saw a central midfielder forced out to the right; it's diabolically baffling that Meireles continues to play there, and it's no surprise the Portuguese looked twice the player when moving centrally in the last 30 minutes against Blackpool. At the same time, Kuyt, Cole, and Jovanovic aren't 4-4-2 wingers. Benitez's 4-2-3-1 system (while pressing high up the pitch) played to Kuyt's strengths – as he did with Holland during the World Cup – but asking him to play as a typical out-and-out winger highlights his deficiencies on the ball and on the touchline. If he, or Cole, or Jovanovic come inside, the fullback's completely exposed because there's no one like Mascherano to cover. And Cole's had the same problems when deployed on the left (as has Jovanovic), leading to the incredibly narrow formation. This is the one difference to Hodgson's formation at Fulham, where he used "opposite wingers" like Duff and Davies (left-footers on the right, right-footers on the left, allowing players to cut in and shoot) to good effect.

Man-marking on set plays. Zonal marking was a stick used to unfairly beat Benitez throughout his tenure, but like pressing high up the pitch, it was a tactic suited to the players in the squad. Liverpool's not the tallest team, and aside from Hyypiä and Kyrgiakos, Liverpool hasn't had aerially-dominate center-backs. Zonal marking helped ameliorate that weakness by marking areas instead of creating one-on-one matches where the opposition were at an advantage. At the same time, Reina, at 6'2", isn't incredibly tall as goalkeepers go. Man-marking leads to crowds around the keeper when opponents pile men into the box, making it harder for Pepe to get space and claim balls into the box.

Leaving substitutions until late. Thankfully, this changed against Blackpool, but Hodgson waited until the 75th minute against Birmingham, the 81st against Utrecht, and at the beginning of extra time against Northampton. Liverpool were level in all three. Was Hodgson really happy with the team during those matches? Were ineffective draws the goal? And we thought the last manager was stubborn in his starting XI selections...

Poulsen. This isn't truly tactical. But I'm still flummoxed that Christian Poulsen – who can't jump, can't tackle, and plays even safer, less creative passes than Lucas – has marginalized the Brazilian. Every manager has favorites, but those favorites shouldn't be keeping better, younger players out of the squad.

Shipping out Aquilani and Insua, marginalizing Agger and Lucas. We don't know how much the board (read: Purslow) is to blame for the first two. But Hodgson could have fought those battles if he so desired. Now, Liverpool has a huge hole at left-back (despite buying Konchesky and re-signing Aurelio) and Aquilani's been increasingly excellent for Juventus – paired with the defensive Felipe Melo in central midfield, no less. Not as an out-and-out attacking midfielder as we thought he needed to be. At the same time, the likes of Lucas and Agger – both better than those who have replaced them – are relegated to the second-string. The fear that both will depart in the January window heightens with each match.

And then there are the embarrassing comments, making it that much harder to respect Hodgson, leading to the belief that he just doesn't get this club or its fans. He took five days to defend Torres from Ferguson's drunken rantings after the United match. He threw his "B-team" under the bus after the loss to Northampton. He was seemingly satisfied with underwhelming draws against Birmingham, Sunderland, and Utrecht, with Liverpool arguably outplayed in all three. He ham-handedly critiqued fan's protests against the owners. And there were the recent jaw-dropping quotes in the run-up to Sunday's match, where Hodgson referred to himself as 'one of the most-respected managers in Europe.'

I've become more vehement in my critiques, and in demanding his exit, for two reasons. One, because I'm increasingly convinced Hodgson can't and won't change. Some say he needs time to implement his system, but we're seeing his system. It's the same system he used at Fulham. Defend deep, 'keep the shape', hope to strangle the opposition, and hope to get something against the run of play. It actually worked for Fulham against Liverpool in both meetings last season. But it's a small-club mentality, and it's not working with the players Liverpool has. I doubt that it ever can.

Two, because of the international break, this seems as good an opportunity as any to get a new manager in. Admittedly, the majority of first-team players will be away with their countries, but it's still two more weeks for to get settled and work with those not on international duty. And if the new man is Dalglish, he'll hit the ground running because of his familiarity with the club and players. If Liverpool failing to get a result against Everton on the 17th (God forbid) leads to Hodgson getting the sack, there are only four days before the next match at Napoli. Because of the Europa League, Liverpool has two games a week almost every week until mid-December. That schedule will really hurt a new manager's chances of settling quickly. And by then, it really could be too late.

I don't want to see Dalglish's legacy tarnished by the ownership debacle, but I truly believe we can't wait until they're finally booted out. Multiple RBS deadlines have been mooted, whether it's the 1st, 6th, 11th, or 15th of this month, but that won't be the end of the fight by any means. And because of the situation, I think Dalglish is the best choice – a legitimately safe pair of hands, unlike the manager we got this summer. Other names mooted, like Pelligrini, Rijkaard, etc., actually are untenable until the off-field situation is resolved. Dalglish is different. It's not as if he's been away from the game, living in a cave, since his last managerial position.

To use a phrase our Texan tumor will understand, know when to hold them, and know when to fold them. It's time to fold this hand before the stakes are too high to buy back in.

http://ohyoubeauty.blogspot.com/2010/10/roy-hodgson-robbie-keane.html

A brilliant piece written by nate, the man responsible for ohyoubeauty.blogspot.com - for those unfamiliar with his work, probably one of the top 5 LFC blogs out there.  He seems to sum up 90% of my feelings with his writing.

Only read a bit of that but it was actually parry who wanted Keane. Rafa wouldve preferred to get Villa before the Euro Championships.
      And he said that if Keane was gonna stand a chance he'd want Barry and Alonso in the team too.

But even then, the Axis of Scum was at work against him.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #1052: Oct 04, 2010 11:01:38 pm
      Only read a bit of that but it was actually parry who wanted Keane. Rafa wouldve preferred to get Villa before the Euro Championships.
      And he said that if Keane was gonna stand a chance he'd want Barry and Alonso in the team too.

But even then, the Axis of Scum was at work against him.

Yes, we know that.  Forget that he got that one wrong and read the rest of the article.  If you're overtly concerned with how the author feels about Rafa, feel free to search posts tagged with "Rafa", "Benitez" or "Rafael" on his website.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #1053: Oct 04, 2010 11:06:25 pm
      Rafa left a mess did he? Well at least he managed to get "that mess" to 7th position. Roy can't even get us to 17th!

Losing at home to Blackpool and Northhampton would NEVER happen Rafa. Period. As if people are still blaming Rafa FFS. Sky Sports generation at large! Then he goes on to slate other fans for not being proper football fans whilst he spews that sh*te...F***ing hypocrisy at its best.

If there are some people who still think this has anything to do with Rafa, then they have the footballing brain of a fish and are NOT a true football fan.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #1054: Oct 04, 2010 11:07:06 pm

This guy has got to be a WUM...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1055: Oct 04, 2010 11:08:59 pm
      Did I really read that from a Liverpool fan or is there a journalist among us.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #1056: Oct 04, 2010 11:11:10 pm
      ;D yes its Rafas fault even though he has nothing to do with the current team.

lolpool :(
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1057: Oct 04, 2010 11:12:18 pm
      I thought you were only allowed manage one team at a time, stupid me.

Quick Reply