Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?

Read 334768 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?
      Reply #1242: Apr 24, 2014 08:36:23 pm
      I think the calls for the stand to be named in honour of the 96 is right I'm just not sure the name of the stadium it happened in is the correct choice. Considering this will likely be completed when the inquiry is near completion and it is also going to house the Hillsborough Memorial it seems only logical that it should be dedicated to them.

I also do love the idea of 96 seats being dedicated to their memory. Now these could either be used to raise money for the relevant charities or simply left vacant in honour of the 96, I think either would be a fitting tribute.
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #1243: Apr 24, 2014 10:39:58 pm
      We're looking for a naming rights partner for the Main Stand aren't we?

I'd heard the same - also for the Anny Road end.

according to bbc thhe redeveloped anfield will have 58.900 seats, i thought it would be nearer to 64k, since old toilet has something around that. we shouldnt have problem selling tickets for the games, so i cant see why we shouldnt have a bigger stadium? anybody know the reason?
      doesnt make sense to me

I am sure you need major infrastructure (i.e. road/rail links) for anything over 60K.  Think that's a government rule, but don't take that as Gospel.

Wasn't there talk of opening up the old Bootle line and building a new station at one time?
      Scottish Red Stu
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • Make Us Dream
      Reply #1244: Apr 25, 2014 09:31:02 am
      I like the look of new main stand. For years I've been thinking if we built a new main stand could we no fill the corner in from the Kop to new main stand? Could add another couple thousands seats. With new main stand going up and Anfield Road stand getting redeveloped filling corner between main and Kop could take it to 63.000. 2,500 away fans 500 segregation and 60,000 reds :-)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1245: Apr 25, 2014 08:36:52 pm
      Anny Road and Main Stand yes .
      Consideration is being given for naming rights.

As far as Anfield is concerned  FSG have confirmed that naming  is nada   .. that is defo off the table.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1246: Apr 26, 2014 10:05:18 am
      I am not going to jump on the bandwagon here - I don't like the proposed plans. I think they are underwhelming in the extreme and when you consider that we have waited for this BEFORE we won the champions league, I find it quite insulting. It's 2014 now. We should've already had a 60'000+ seater stadium complete by now, but instead we are waiting for the redevelopment of a new stand.

Someone previously said that we could fill a 70-80k seater stadium - I totally agree. Yes, that would be incredibly costly, but we should have plans to expand to at least 70'000. The mancs have 76, so why us 54? They'll have 22'000 fans more than us.

I find the plans frighteningly similar to what St James Park is like.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1247: Apr 27, 2014 08:48:28 am
      I am not going to jump on the bandwagon here - I don't like the proposed plans. I think they are underwhelming in the extreme and when you consider that we have waited for this BEFORE we won the champions league, I find it quite insulting. It's 2014 now. We should've already had a 60'000+ seater stadium complete by now, but instead we are waiting for the redevelopment of a new stand.

Someone previously said that we could fill a 70-80k seater stadium - I totally agree. Yes, that would be incredibly costly, but we should have plans to expand to at least 70'000. The mancs have 76, so why us 54? They'll have 22'000 fans more than us.

I find the plans frighteningly similar to what St James Park is like.

I'm not massively impressed either. I don't like how the roof is different to the rest of the stadium nor how the stand joins with the Kop. Think the design in the video below is better looking for the stadium over all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba12Q_dOMRY

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1248: Apr 28, 2014 09:32:36 am
      Some much high definition images.

Here is where the Hillsborough Memorial will be placed.

The next 3 images are huge so I have just added the links, if you are on a phone don't bother as they really are vast.

Back of the Stand

The Side of the Stand

Insde the Ground
      Interestingly with this image you can clearly see where the suits will be sitting,plus the players are blurred...image rights I guess.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #1249: Apr 28, 2014 11:09:55 pm
      Phase one is main stand - another 8,500 (taking it to 54k)

Phase 2 - anfield rd - another 4,800 to 58,800

makes sense to do it piecemeal (the model for that approach is sadly the theatre of broken dreams - difference being their stadium is middle of nowhere, whilst ours is surrounded)

As for re-couping cost - extra 8,500 seats - 19 league games a season , avg price £60  around £10m a year

Add in hospitality, and that number jumps up probably another 25% easily

arsenal have 9,000 corporate boxes, they make more money from those boxes than the stadium seats season tickets,
      just a shame we could not knock it down and move and turn the layout of the ground away from the road and build a 70,000 stadium
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #1250: Apr 29, 2014 12:22:13 am
      Reminds me of the Holte End at Villa Park, maybe it's the brick work that resembles.

My first impressions were Villa Park too :)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1251: Apr 30, 2014 07:49:11 pm
      For those of you not impressed we are going from this...

To this!

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1252: Apr 30, 2014 10:49:30 pm
      Thought it looked great the first time I seen it and still do.

Like I said it's Anfield only bigger.

What's not to like.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,229 posts | 6355 
      Reply #1253: May 01, 2014 03:48:06 am
      Some people are never happy. A new stadium would be great, but there's a lot that goes into that and you risk losing the "home field advantage" that you covet moving into a shiny new place. I honestly think the renovations are great and should help keep Anfield a fortress for years to come.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1254: May 01, 2014 03:55:54 am
      For those of you not impressed we are going from this...

To this!

:gt-happyup:

:oranje: :kop5cf8koxp6:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #1255: May 14, 2014 03:22:19 pm
      We should've already had a 60'000+ seater stadium complete by now, but instead we are waiting for the redevelopment of a new stand.

We can't go above 60,000 due to the rail/road infrastructure around the area of Anfield. The Lark a couple of posts is close, it is not a government rule, just the area could not cope with the extra traffic and numbers. If the tram idea or possibly the renovation of the old Loop Line would of been included in the plans we could of easily upgraded to around 65,000 - 70,000. But I can't see the club shelling out for this and the council are far too F***ing skint right now with the cuts to even think about throwing money at something like this. So for now we have to make do with the changes announced by the club. At least it keeps us at Anfield and not some identikit new stadium.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #1256: May 15, 2014 12:44:57 am
      when are we likely to hear more? any idea of timescale?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1257: May 24, 2014 02:57:33 pm
      Some people are never happy. A new stadium would be great, but there's a lot that goes into that and you risk losing the "home field advantage" that you covet moving into a shiny new place. I honestly think the renovations are great and should help keep Anfield a fortress for years to come.

Not sure how much you know of the area but the new build in Stanley Park was literally spitting distance from the Anfield Road end. to be fair I don't think that there is a right or wrong way to do this.As long as they get on with it soon then I think we will all be pleased
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,229 posts | 6355 
      Reply #1258: May 24, 2014 11:55:49 pm
      Not sure how much you know of the area but the new build in Stanley Park was literally spitting distance from the Anfield Road end. to be fair I don't think that there is a right or wrong way to do this.As long as they get on with it soon then I think we will all be pleased
      I agree, I just selfishly wanted them to stay at Anfield because if/when I make it to a game, I wanted it to be at Anfield.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1259: May 25, 2014 09:35:05 pm
      Selfishly I would prefer a new stadium with a big capacity. I used to love just turning up at Anfield and not having to worry about tickets etc etc. Just pay at the door and go in. I think if the capacity was 60k or above there would be a decent allocation given to pay at the door for most games.

I think FSG are making the best of things with the expansion, but it will be very limiting both on capacity and on prices. Less capacity = more demand = higher prices as they try to make a 55k stadium make the same money as a 60/70k stadium.

Certainly I don't think that the travel restrictions on capacity will last for ever and then we may look back with regret that we opted to expand rather than for a new build.

Slowly but surely the regulars are getting priced out of the market and while I understand that "first timers" tend to spend much more (I think it was 3 x as much) on their day trips the atmosphere that made Anfield special will decline with them.

Happy enough that things seem to be finally moving, but my preference would have been a new build that we can expand as we need it/permissions allow, rather than a stadium without the option for further expansion.

crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #1260: Jun 04, 2014 10:57:10 pm
      Liverpool Football Club has today submitted its planning application to redevelop Anfield stadium.

The submission of the application follows a major public consultation in which the overwhelming majority of local residents, businesses and fans backed the proposals.

The document submitted to Liverpool City Council today applies for detailed planning consent to expand the Main Stand and outline consent for the expansion of its Anfield Road stand.

The application is expected to be considered by the city's planning committee later this year. 

If consent is granted, the proposals would see the capacity of a new Main Stand rise by 8,500, taking it to nearly 21,000 and overall Anfield capacity to around 54,000. The outline proposals for the Anfield Road stand provide for an increase in its capacity of around 4,800 seats, taking the total stadium capacity to 58,800.

Incorporating the iconic club crest into the proposed Main Stand's exterior elevation, the scheme would also include a two-storey podium and a carefully designed cloister which would become the new home for the Hillsborough Memorial.

The Main Stand would open onto a wide public space which has been designed to link the stadium and park while creating an area which is relevant and usable to the local community, particularly on non-matchdays.

As part of its proposed stadium expansion plans, the club has also appointed Tom Doyle, an experienced project director who worked on the London 2012 Olympic programme and more recently the SSE Hydro Arena in Glasgow, to manage the redevelopment should consent be granted.

Managing director, Ian Ayre, said: "When we set out on the journey to explore the feasibility of expanding the stadium, we said the process would be determined by certainty.

"Certainty that we have the support from local residents and businesses for our proposed plans, that we can acquire the land required and that we can navigate the planning landscape.

"Over the past 18 months and as part of this approach, we have worked closely with the community, local residents, Liverpool City Council and Your Housing Group and we are delighted to be able to bring forward a planning application at this stage.

"A lot of good work has been done and we still have more work to achieve certainty; however, the planning application is another step in the right direction."

If planning consent is granted, construction work on the proposed Main Stand could begin early next year and it could be complete in time for the 2016-17 season.

Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, said: "The proposed redevelopment of the stadium is a hugely important part of our vision for Anfield - to create a thriving community in which people want to live, work and visit.

"The overall regeneration of the area will see £260m invested and will deliver hundreds of jobs. Liverpool Football Club's proposals for the stadium are a key part of this so today is a really important milestone."

Brian Cronin, chief executive of Your Housing Group, said: "It is brilliant to see the local community backing these proposals and giving their views on how they should be taken forward. We think it's very clear now that a brighter Anfield really is coming."
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1261: Jun 05, 2014 09:18:08 am
      Know it's been posted above as a quotation, here it is as a news article so there's less scrolling through a quote.

LFC submit stadium planning application

Liverpool Football Club has today submitted its planning application to redevelop Anfield stadium.

The submission of the application follows a major public consultation in which the overwhelming majority of local residents, businesses and fans backed the proposals.

The document submitted to Liverpool City Council today applies for detailed planning consent to expand the Main Stand and outline consent for the expansion of its Anfield Road stand.

The application is expected to be considered by the city's planning committee later this year. 

If consent is granted, the proposals would see the capacity of a new Main Stand rise by 8,500, taking it to nearly 21,000 and overall Anfield capacity to around 54,000. The outline proposals for the Anfield Road stand provide for an increase in its capacity of around 4,800 seats, taking the total stadium capacity to 58,800.

Incorporating the iconic club crest into the proposed Main Stand's exterior elevation, the scheme would also include a two-storey podium and a carefully designed cloister which would become the new home for the Hillsborough Memorial.

The Main Stand would open onto a wide public space which has been designed to link the stadium and park while creating an area which is relevant and usable to the local community, particularly on non-matchdays.

As part of its proposed stadium expansion plans, the club has also appointed Tom Doyle, an experienced project director who worked on the London 2012 Olympic programme and more recently the SSE Hydro Arena in Glasgow, to manage the redevelopment should consent be granted.

Managing director, Ian Ayre, said: "When we set out on the journey to explore the feasibility of expanding the stadium, we said the process would be determined by certainty.

"Certainty that we have the support from local residents and businesses for our proposed plans, that we can acquire the land required and that we can navigate the planning landscape.

"Over the past 18 months and as part of this approach, we have worked closely with the community, local residents, Liverpool City Council and Your Housing Group and we are delighted to be able to bring forward a planning application at this stage.

"A lot of good work has been done and we still have more work to achieve certainty; however, the planning application is another step in the right direction."

If planning consent is granted, construction work on the proposed Main Stand could begin early next year and it could be complete in time for the 2016-17 season.

Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, said: "The proposed redevelopment of the stadium is a hugely important part of our vision for Anfield - to create a thriving community in which people want to live, work and visit.

"The overall regeneration of the area will see £260m invested and will deliver hundreds of jobs. Liverpool Football Club's proposals for the stadium are a key part of this so today is a really important milestone."

Brian Cronin, chief executive of Your Housing Group, said: "It is brilliant to see the local community backing these proposals and giving their views on how they should be taken forward. We think it's very clear now that a brighter Anfield really is coming."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/164295-lfc-submit-stadium-planning-application
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #1262: Jun 05, 2014 03:41:49 pm
      The spade is in the ground :D

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #1263: Jun 05, 2014 08:53:53 pm

About time , but it does look like their leaning on said 'Spade' !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #1264: Jun 06, 2014 12:29:42 pm
      £100m Anfield renovation will ensure permanent legacy of Fenway Sports Group's reign, says Liverpool chairman

FSG will extending Anfield to an initial 53,250 capacity as soon as they have the green light from city planners

Tom Werner, the Liverpool chairman, says the £100 million renovation of Anfield will be the defining moment of Fenway Sports Group’s reign, ensuring a permanent legacy on Merseyside.

An issue that has been unresolved for 14 years and forced the two previous owners to sell because they did not have the finances to build a new arena is finally drawing to a conclusion.

Agreements have been signed with all homeowners in the surrounding area and a planning application for the new Main Stand – extending Anfield to an initial 53,250 capacity – was put in place this week. FSG will start building as soon as they have the green light from city planners, and following a prolonged consultation process where consensus from all parties was sought, significant opposition to the scheme is not anticipated.

Liverpool hope to eventually take the capacity to 58,000 with a second phase expansion of the Anfield Road and there is no underestimating how significant progress is to safeguard the club's future after so many false dawns.

Clear parallels can be drawn to what happened when FSG took over Boston Red Sox.

“I have to agree with the idea this is a monumental moment for us as a club,” said Werner.

“This will be our legacy at Liverpool, resolving the stadium issue. I am as proud of protecting and preserving Fenway Park in Boston as I am the three World Series we have won and will feel exactly the same way about repeating this at Anfield. It will be the most exciting day at Anfield in 2016 when we can welcome the additional supporters to the stadium.

“I think this will change the future of the club. What has been hanging over the club’s head is we simply could not accept the status quo.
      We did not want to make any promises that could not be delivered so we wanted a solution, but a solution was not as simple because of cost and time issues. We could have built a new stadium but we always felt the fans have an emotional attachment to Anfield, just like the Boston Red Sox with Fenway Park.

“It’s been a process with a lot of twists and turns in part because we were dealing with property owners and neighbourhood in addition to the conception issues, deciding the right scheme and the cost. Everything is expensive. In addition to normal discussions about renovation there have been a lot of discussions about property acquisitions.

“A solution is a modern stadium but if you solve problems such as seat comfort and ease of access getting to and from the park and all those things related to the surround infrastructure – we thought we could redevelop and this would be the best solution. I also like the idea of a phased approach so we will develop in stages.”

FSG abandoned previous plans to build a stadium on Stanley Park because the financial risk was too great.

“A question we had to ask was could Liverpool sustain a 65,000 seater stadium on Stanley Park?” said Werner.

“It was an issue in itself. If you can guarantee Champions League football every season than absolutely, the answer is yes, but I’m not sure anyone can be certain of that. That makes our approach much more sensible, allowing for further expansion of the Anfield Road.

“We have been working on Fenway in stages since 2004. We have taken the capacity from 32,000 to 36,000 but there is more to it than an extra 4,000 seats. We spent £250 million of our own money to improve the ballpark and enhance the quality of the whole experience for those who watch the games.

“We were well aware of the disappointments the fans had felt for such a long time. Now we have exciting, real plans we can put into place, not just by expanding Anfield with 9,000 seats, but so everybody will see and feel the benefits. Just walking to the stadium and seeing the landscape will be an improvement.

“There is an emotional connection with Anfield which is similar to that at Fenway Park. When we bought the Red Sox we had an informal poll and there was a 50-50 split between those who wanted to stay at Fenway and those who wanted a new ballpark near the river. Really, you had to ask the right question and say to those who wanted to leave, what if we show you what we can do? Today, if you had the same poll I am sure 94 per cent would agree we made the right decision. It was not so much Anfield versus Stanley Park as have we really done all we can to establish what can be done at Anfield?

“We believe we can fill the corporate areas. Some of that is dictated by success on the pitch and we are certainly confident we are making a sound business decision.

“It has to make sense from a financial point of view. The improvements will eventually pay for themselves. Liverpool and Boston have a lot in common. They are not the capital city, or in the case of our rivals in New York the financial capital of the U.S.”

Liverpool expect to repay the costs of revamp by significantly increasing their matchday revenue to around £90 million a season, much of which will come by expanding corporate facilities – an essential component of the redesign.

Although a stadium sponsor would have solved many financial issues, Werner said the board understood the view of the supporters who would not welcome a change of stadium name.

“The idea of sponsorship – pursuing the Mercedes Benz stadium or similar – was not an option our supporters wanted,” said Werner.

“There could certainly be some form of branding within areas of the arena. It is still early and these will be for further discussion, but the first, immediate priority has focused on structural issues.

“We, as property owners, are very excited with the whole regeneration plan. It’s exciting that the neighbourhood will be transformed. I have heard some of the idea that other partners are investing in. The idea is for an outdoor market to resemble Borough Market in London – so there is every reason to think our commitment will be matched by other investors. That’s part of the responsibility we have as a club and a city.

“It is not just what is best for Liverpool but what is best for the whole area. If you go to Anfield in five years it is not just what is going on when the whistle blows that will form part of the experience.”

“I want to commend the Mayor Joe Anderson, Chief Executive Ged Fitzgerald and and Your Housing who worked together to make this happen. We have prodded each other at the right times to ensure we’ve reached this crucial stage.”

Liverpool hope to be able to start building in January 2015 with a the new stand open for the start of the 2016/17 season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10879828/100m-Anfield-renovation-will-ensure-permanent-legacy-of-Fenway-Sports-Groups-reign-says-Liverpool-chairman.html

Quick Reply