Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?

Read 335070 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?
      Reply #1265: Jun 07, 2014 11:59:13 am
      Has anybody mentioned whether we can expand again on top of what we are doing now in a few years if required?

Apologies if I've missed it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1266: Jun 07, 2014 12:32:39 pm
      Has anybody mentioned whether we can expand again on top of what we are doing now in a few years if required?

I suspect you're asking after the Road End expansion, right? I have not heard or read anything on a 3rd expansion.

Looking at the current plans, I feel the only way would to be fill in some of the corners, but how you would do that I don't know, square peg in round hole scenario.

You could, if you were crazy pop a teir on top of the Kop.

But this is all very dependent on the transport infrastructure being vastly improved as we are currently restricted to 60K capacity.

As there is at present no plans to improve the roads, rail, or anyother transportation method, we are limited to 60K for the foreseeable future.

There is going to be a huge amount of VIP/corporate hospitality in the expanded Main Stand, so from a financial point of view FSG won't need to consider a 3rd expansion for a long time, if at all.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1267: Jun 07, 2014 01:10:02 pm
      I suspect you're asking after the Road End expansion, right? I have not heard or read anything on a 3rd expansion.

Looking at the current plans, I feel the only way would to be fill in some of the corners, but how you would do that I don't know, square peg in round hole scenario.

You could, if you were crazy pop a teir on top of the Kop.

But this is all very dependent on the transport infrastructure being vastly improved as we are currently restricted to 60K capacity.

As there is at present no plans to improve the roads, rail, or anyother transportation method, we are limited to 60K for the foreseeable future.

There is going to be a huge amount of VIP/corporate hospitality in the expanded Main Stand, so from a financial point of view FSG won't need to consider a 3rd expansion for a long time, if at all.

Cheers.

I get that they wouldn't have to worry about any further expansions for a long time but they would be mad to use a structure that could never be built on again or would be difficult to build on again.

I have criticised our owners in the past but I am really happy with what they are doing here. A game at Anfield should be the best part of a full day out at least with lots to do around the ground with us, the punters, spending money all day. The fact that they are trying to make that possible whilst keeping us at home is something I'm happy about. Whether the reasons for that are purely financial I don't know but I'd take that over us playing a last game at Anfield before moving to some amazing looking stadium that lacked any sort of tradition, history or soul.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #1268: Jun 07, 2014 01:58:44 pm
      £100m Anfield renovation will ensure permanent legacy of Fenway Sports Group's reign, says Liverpool chairman

FSG will extending Anfield to an initial 53,250 capacity as soon as they have the green light from city planners

Tom Werner, the Liverpool chairman, says the £100 million renovation of Anfield will be the defining moment of Fenway Sports Group’s reign, ensuring a permanent legacy on Merseyside.

An issue that has been unresolved for 14 years and forced the two previous owners to sell because they did not have the finances to build a new arena is finally drawing to a conclusion.

Agreements have been signed with all homeowners in the surrounding area and a planning application for the new Main Stand – extending Anfield to an initial 53,250 capacity – was put in place this week. FSG will start building as soon as they have the green light from city planners, and following a prolonged consultation process where consensus from all parties was sought, significant opposition to the scheme is not anticipated.

Liverpool hope to eventually take the capacity to 58,000 with a second phase expansion of the Anfield Road and there is no underestimating how significant progress is to safeguard the club's future after so many false dawns.

Clear parallels can be drawn to what happened when FSG took over Boston Red Sox.

“I have to agree with the idea this is a monumental moment for us as a club,” said Werner.

“This will be our legacy at Liverpool, resolving the stadium issue. I am as proud of protecting and preserving Fenway Park in Boston as I am the three World Series we have won and will feel exactly the same way about repeating this at Anfield. It will be the most exciting day at Anfield in 2016 when we can welcome the additional supporters to the stadium.

“I think this will change the future of the club. What has been hanging over the club’s head is we simply could not accept the status quo.
      We did not want to make any promises that could not be delivered so we wanted a solution, but a solution was not as simple because of cost and time issues. We could have built a new stadium but we always felt the fans have an emotional attachment to Anfield, just like the Boston Red Sox with Fenway Park.

“It’s been a process with a lot of twists and turns in part because we were dealing with property owners and neighbourhood in addition to the conception issues, deciding the right scheme and the cost. Everything is expensive. In addition to normal discussions about renovation there have been a lot of discussions about property acquisitions.

“A solution is a modern stadium but if you solve problems such as seat comfort and ease of access getting to and from the park and all those things related to the surround infrastructure – we thought we could redevelop and this would be the best solution. I also like the idea of a phased approach so we will develop in stages.”

FSG abandoned previous plans to build a stadium on Stanley Park because the financial risk was too great.

“A question we had to ask was could Liverpool sustain a 65,000 seater stadium on Stanley Park?” said Werner.

“It was an issue in itself. If you can guarantee Champions League football every season than absolutely, the answer is yes, but I’m not sure anyone can be certain of that. That makes our approach much more sensible, allowing for further expansion of the Anfield Road.

“We have been working on Fenway in stages since 2004. We have taken the capacity from 32,000 to 36,000 but there is more to it than an extra 4,000 seats. We spent £250 million of our own money to improve the ballpark and enhance the quality of the whole experience for those who watch the games.

“We were well aware of the disappointments the fans had felt for such a long time. Now we have exciting, real plans we can put into place, not just by expanding Anfield with 9,000 seats, but so everybody will see and feel the benefits. Just walking to the stadium and seeing the landscape will be an improvement.

“There is an emotional connection with Anfield which is similar to that at Fenway Park. When we bought the Red Sox we had an informal poll and there was a 50-50 split between those who wanted to stay at Fenway and those who wanted a new ballpark near the river. Really, you had to ask the right question and say to those who wanted to leave, what if we show you what we can do? Today, if you had the same poll I am sure 94 per cent would agree we made the right decision. It was not so much Anfield versus Stanley Park as have we really done all we can to establish what can be done at Anfield?

“We believe we can fill the corporate areas. Some of that is dictated by success on the pitch and we are certainly confident we are making a sound business decision.

“It has to make sense from a financial point of view. The improvements will eventually pay for themselves. Liverpool and Boston have a lot in common. They are not the capital city, or in the case of our rivals in New York the financial capital of the U.S.”

Liverpool expect to repay the costs of revamp by significantly increasing their matchday revenue to around £90 million a season, much of which will come by expanding corporate facilities – an essential component of the redesign.

Although a stadium sponsor would have solved many financial issues, Werner said the board understood the view of the supporters who would not welcome a change of stadium name.

“The idea of sponsorship – pursuing the Mercedes Benz stadium or similar – was not an option our supporters wanted,” said Werner.

“There could certainly be some form of branding within areas of the arena. It is still early and these will be for further discussion, but the first, immediate priority has focused on structural issues.

“We, as property owners, are very excited with the whole regeneration plan. It’s exciting that the neighbourhood will be transformed. I have heard some of the idea that other partners are investing in. The idea is for an outdoor market to resemble Borough Market in London – so there is every reason to think our commitment will be matched by other investors. That’s part of the responsibility we have as a club and a city.

“It is not just what is best for Liverpool but what is best for the whole area. If you go to Anfield in five years it is not just what is going on when the whistle blows that will form part of the experience.”

“I want to commend the Mayor Joe Anderson, Chief Executive Ged Fitzgerald and and Your Housing who worked together to make this happen. We have prodded each other at the right times to ensure we’ve reached this crucial stage.”

Liverpool hope to be able to start building in January 2015 with a the new stand open for the start of the 2016/17 season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10879828/100m-Anfield-renovation-will-ensure-permanent-legacy-of-Fenway-Sports-Groups-reign-says-Liverpool-chairman.html

All nice and good but I'd much rather Werner be worried about Anfield's legacy than FSG's. He seems to be blowing a good deal of sunshine up his own skirt. Much rather he humbly have said that the club need and deserve to stay at their iconic home and the right thing to do was to expand it the right way, blah, blah, blah.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #1269: Jun 07, 2014 07:36:31 pm

Only way we can expand after the anny road is done is by paying for infrastructure changes to the area of Anfield, in terms of planning we can't go above 60,000.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #1270: Jun 08, 2014 01:32:00 am
      why are we going to 58,000. why not go to 59,996?  ( if the max we can have is 60k). i know its not alot extra but still better then nothing
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 728 
      Reply #1271: Jun 08, 2014 05:45:08 am
      I would love to see a "Throwback" Stadium with modern amenities like the Orioles Park at Camden Yards baseballs stadium.

It would be a first for football
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1272: Jun 08, 2014 12:47:22 pm
      I think people are underestimating to what extent Anfield is being redeveloped.

58,000 seats is a big stadium, but obviously not the biggest. But Liverpool FC will get one over the other clubs in the league with the surrounding areas thriving on match day, where many businesses will find the opportunity to invest.

As Tom Werner says: 'The idea is for an outdoor market to resemble Borough Market in London – so there is every reason to think our commitment will be matched by other investors.'

Note that key part - other investors. Investors will be keen to team up with the club offering extra revenue to the club and not just extra seats. Note that stadiums like Old Trafford - which is HUGE - offer absolutely nothing to the community surrounding it apart from a big car park for the games. Apart from that, the area of Old Trafford is still a very poor area in which the club has done absolutely nothing to regenerate it. No investors are willing to team up with Man Utd in concerns to the area surrounding it because there's nothing to team up for.

These FSG guys are business savvy. They save us a huge cost by building a new stadium which could prove hugely costly to the fortunes of the club on the field - note that Arsenal built their stadium in a time when, realistically, only them and Man Utd were competing for the league. With the success on the field and with not many competitors, they saw that window of opportunity and took it. We can't afford that risk at all - what with Champions League places ever more competitive and our previous failings on the field from not long ago. So a new stadium is not a good idea at all - only if the owners had a bottomless pit of money would it make sense.

What's more, there's no better owners than FSG in marketing the club. Some hate the term 'brand' but as long as they increase revenue for the club, then I'm all for it because that is just the way football operates these days whether you like it or not. They are doing exactly what Man Utd did in the 90s (and which we failed to do until FSG bought the club) and they are expert businessmen who see such opportunities. They are not oil-rich men using the club as a political shield, they have actually made their fortune through the very job they are doing at Liverpool. Such shrewdness and knowledge in brand marketing can only bode well for the future.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 728 
      Reply #1273: Jun 08, 2014 10:48:38 pm
      i'd rather see 58k packed every week than 60k + with a bunch of empty seats against 'lesser' teams. My humble opinion of course
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1274: Jun 11, 2014 01:29:46 pm
      58000 is the max that can be done with all the infrstructure problems and access \ transport problems.

It's a big increase adding 14000 every match day, the atmoss and revenue will go up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1275: Jun 12, 2014 06:28:27 am
      Anyone fancy living inside (on top of) the Anfield stadium ?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/executive-apartments-could-built-within-7250373

Scroll down for the Liverpool FC stadium move - the Anfield and Stanley Park story so far.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1276: Jun 12, 2014 09:20:29 am
      Anyone fancy living inside (on top of) the Anfield stadium ?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/executive-apartments-could-built-within-7250373

Scroll down for the Liverpool FC stadium move - the Anfield and Stanley Park story so far.

Cool so long as you've got a birds eye view on match days  ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #1277: Jun 25, 2014 05:22:21 pm

Those derelict houses have now been cleared.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1278: Jul 02, 2014 12:24:17 pm
      Carillion wins £75 million deal with Liverpool

Boost for fans: the Anfield stadium’s capacity will increase
       Jamie Dunkley
      Published: 02 July 2014

Builder Carillion was today named as the preferred bidder for Liverpool football club’s £75 million stadium expansion.

Work on the project is expected to start this year, once planning permission is granted, and will see the capacity of Anfield’s main stand increased by more than 8300, taking the total capacity to 54,000 seats.

Richard Howson, Carillion’s chief executive, said: “I believe that being selected for this prestigious project reflects Carillion’s reputation for high standards of quality, health and safety and sustainability.

"We look forward to working closely with Liverpool to create new world-class facilities at its famous Anfield stadium.” 

Liverpool are preparing for a return to Champions League football but look set to lose star striker Luis Suarez to Barcelona for an estimated £80 million.

Carillion shares rose 5.6p to 338.8p as the company also unveiled a solid trading update for the first six months of the year with new orders standing at about £2.7 billion. The construction group said its full-year targets remained in line with City expectations.

Andrew Gibb, analyst at Investec, said: “We have been neutral for some time on Carillion, with concerns over cash and Middle East margins at the fore.

"However, the group has had a positive start to the year in terms of new contract wins and the net debt position is now likely to be better than we expect.”
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #1279: Jul 02, 2014 12:32:52 pm
      As long as it is not the company doing up my place of work. Shoddy work on all projects.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1280: Jul 02, 2014 06:01:51 pm
      As long as it is not the company doing up my place of work. Shoddy work on all projects.

Were they putting down your foundation like this?

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #1281: Jul 03, 2014 07:19:30 am
      It was renovation work. One room was getting very warm, no idea why, after a full investigation it was found that they had walled in a functioning radiator.

And they still get work. Cough cough!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1282: Jul 03, 2014 03:34:34 pm
      Were they putting down your foundation like this?

when can they start?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1283: Jul 03, 2014 06:22:50 pm

Spades in the ground Walton... ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #1284: Jul 03, 2014 10:00:50 pm

Aren't we still waiting for planning permission to be granted.

Officially that is.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1285: Jul 04, 2014 12:14:16 am
      Aren't we still waiting for planning permission to be granted.

Officially that is.

Just making a joke on the shady contractors in the pic RP
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #1286: Jul 04, 2014 09:37:05 am
      Just making a joke on the shady contractors in the pic RP

My mistake.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1287: Jul 05, 2014 12:33:51 pm
      Those derelict houses have now been cleared.

I remember going along the back alley to the Kop in the 70's and they needed pulling down then its good to see some progress.

Quick Reply