Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?

Read 335124 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: NESV plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?
      Reply #92: Oct 08, 2010 01:25:44 pm
      Liverpool's need for improved revenue streams from a new stadium is pressing and was a principal reason why Moores sold his majority shareholding to Hicks and Gillett in 2007. Club accounts for 2008-09 financial year showed Liverpool made £42m from gate and matchday income. In the same period Arsenal made £100m at the Emirates Stadium and Manchester United generated £109m at Old Trafford.

We are already a profit-making club, can you imagine how we will be when the new stadium is built? Even if we don't match Utd and Arsenal, doubling our revenue would put us in an enviable position.

The Future's Bright.  The Future's Red.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #93: Oct 08, 2010 01:53:30 pm
      Why do people suddenly think they will be given planning permission something they haven't been able to get in the past, they are talking of groundsharing  as well. I personally don't think the new owner has the required money for a new stadium

I understand your scepticism regarding earning which, personally Im split over whether the funding is there. But you are spot on with the planning permission. It has never looked likely, and since Everton got rejected to build an OOT stadium we are pretty much lumped with plan A - New Stadium in Stanley Park.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #94: Oct 08, 2010 02:21:27 pm
      Ya mate but planning permission has been rejected on numerous times to redevelop Anfield. To me the new americans are looking at cheap options already and if they are unable to do this I think we will see another massive debt for a stadium.
      Of course there will be a debt for the stadium.  Its called a mortgage and its a very long term debt, that is sustainable.  Arsenal have this type of debt and each year it reduces.  or problems with H&G are the large short term debts.  240 million thats have to be refinanced every 6 months.  a stadium would be paid over 20 odd years or so, and the much increased revenue from the stadium would more than cover the repayments.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #95: Oct 08, 2010 03:32:11 pm
      ^ This.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #96: Oct 08, 2010 03:37:14 pm
      If a new stadium is built and funds are borrwed for its build or against it then surelly selling off anfield and the properties and land around the ground should raise a substantial amount to pay against the new stadium right?

Or am i missing something here?
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #97: Oct 08, 2010 04:19:25 pm
      If a new stadium is built and funds are borrwed for its build or against it then surelly selling off anfield and the properties and land around the ground should raise a substantial amount to pay against the new stadium right?

Or am I missing something here?

Good question.  I presume we own the land and would be selling it to the council who plan to redevelop the area, turning it in into some Plaza, with a hotel, shops and offices.  Not sure how much the land would be worth though.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #98: Oct 09, 2010 04:33:46 am
      Good question.  I presume we own the land and would be selling it to the council who plan to redevelop the area, turning it in into some Plaza, with a hotel, shops and offices.  Not sure how much the land would be worth though.

You would hope after 100+ years of playing there that we did have ownership eh? ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #99: Oct 09, 2010 03:34:11 pm

A hotel in Anfield!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #100: Oct 09, 2010 03:35:39 pm
      A hotel in Anfield!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Not sure why that is funny?

But it would not be in the new stadium, it would be on the site of Anfield, along with a load of shops and offices and a few homes as well.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #101: Oct 09, 2010 04:29:11 pm

But it would not be in the new stadium, it would be on the site of Anfield, along with a load of shops and offices and a few homes as well.

Don't think a hotel would do well at Anfield, but then again I suppose it would be one supporters could use for when they're going to the games at Stanley Park.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #102: Oct 09, 2010 04:38:07 pm
      Trying to find a picture of the proposed Plaza, I came across this - http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-32327.pdf

"The existing memorials to
      Bill Shankley and Hillsborough should be retained in
      the Plaza."

Who the F**k is Shankley?!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #103: Oct 09, 2010 05:51:44 pm

Just the thought of a hotel in the Anfield area.

Same laugh I had when some bluenose idiot was rambling on about the same thing around Goodison.

As for the Hillsborough Memorial and the Shankly and Paisley gates, they should always be a part of the existing or new stadium.

Plus I take it now HKS will no longer be involved?

*LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #104: Oct 09, 2010 10:02:36 pm
      Personally if this was a cheaper option and could be redeveloped over a couple of seasons I,d go for it. I dont think we,ll get the mega money that man City get each season but we will get investment every year to buy new players if it improves the squad. This is going to be a work in progress to get us back to where we belong, but I,m sure we,ll get there in the end and it makes sound business sence. Lets say we develope Anfield over 3 seasons, it will mean extra revenue each year untill we get to our aim of a 60,000 seater stadium so we can compete with the Arsenals and Man U of the the world. The club needs investment every year without fail so we can generate extra revenue with extra capacity and get us back into the money making top 4 positions. I think in 3 years time we should be competing every year for the title. It will be a slow process and god knows how many rebuilding processes we,ve had but all I want is for us to compete and play good football, with good players in our first 11 and have youngsters coming through the ranks which is something we have,nt achieved for god knows how long. We need to bring good youngsters through to replace the Gerrards and Carraghers.

So if re developing Anfield is a viable option, lets do it. Anything that will bring the success back.

but redeveloping the stadium will cost loads just look at the boston red sox i think that cost something like 300 million to redevelop
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #105: Oct 11, 2010 11:40:51 am
      but redeveloping the stadium will cost loads just look at the boston red sox I think that cost something like 300 million to redevelop
      That was in Dollars and is a lot less than 350 million pounds (approx 550 million dollars), which is the estimated cost (this always goes up) of the new stadium. 
      300 million dollars would be a bargain for a complete re-deveolpment of Anfield to over 60,000 capacity.  an extra 15,000 people at approx £40.00 per ticket, would bring in £600,000 extra in gate receipts alone.  this doesn't include extra catering, merchandise and corporate sales on match day, so that would be extra.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #106: Oct 11, 2010 12:54:45 pm
      It'd be brilliant, if we were to move to Stanley Park, that the ressies would play at Anfield or something.

Pipe dream i know, but it'd be a nice fairytale to have some part of Anfield still connected to Liverpool FC in terms of continuous use for footballing purposes.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      New Stadium
      Reply #107: Oct 16, 2010 09:14:52 am
      Well here we are again,

From Moores to Hicks and Gillette and now to NESV but here we are still with Anfield as our home and a capacity far smaller than a club of our size should have (even Sunderland have a bigger stadiam than us FFS  :f_steam:)

But Seriously,

I would like Anfield to be redeveloped to somewhere around 65,000+ (if possible, and I would guess this would be the fastest option?) but if it isnt that means a new stadium.

The issue with this is do the NESV do all the planning yet again and design another new stadium, after all we had the Moores design, then the H&G design or do they then stick with the current plans?

I quite liked the H&G design however it would always be a constant reminder of there ownership and that is something I do not want to be reminded about.

thoughts?

emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #108: Oct 16, 2010 11:15:42 am
      I think a new stadium is a must,i can't see Anfield being redeveloped larger than 60,000.Whats going to happen when Old Trafford gets redeveloped to 90,000,we'll be stuck when they will be taking in around a million pounds more per game than we will.I think we have the fans to sell out at least a 70,000 stadium for each game,then you have all the people wanting to go for the stadium tours in the new stadium and the better facilities for the fans with no space restrictions when building a new stadium.
      I love anfield as much as everyone but i think its time we start com-peeting with the likes of Barcelona,ac Milan,man u,real madrid in the transfer market by taking in more gate receipts.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #109: Oct 16, 2010 12:09:09 pm
      Although Id Like to stay at Anfield, just cant see the council changing thier minds on this. Plus the revenue lost on stands being closed wont appeal to the owners, not to mention the lost atmos. with fewer people attending.
      Apart from the centenary , all sides would need major works to get thier precious corporate boxes installed
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #110: Oct 16, 2010 02:20:53 pm
      Whats going to happen when Old Trafford gets redeveloped to 90,000,we'll be stuck when they will be taking in around a million pounds more per game than we will.

They already are.  Our takings are £42m per year, they make over £100m per year.  Arsenal the same.  Chelsea make £70m odd.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #111: Oct 16, 2010 04:02:02 pm
      They already are.  Our takings are £42m per year, they make over £100m per year.  Arsenal the same.  Chelsea make £70m odd.

Arsenal's only 60,000 tho yeah?

Do you think we could sell out 90,000 every home game?

A design which could be increased when needed might be a good option as to go from 45,000 to something to big straight away night not work.

redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #112: Oct 16, 2010 05:04:18 pm
      Arsenal is 60,000, but is located in Islington which is rolling in money. So ticket prices are higher, plus they have a central band of corporate boxes encircling the whole stadium, which they fill every match. It does help when you are located just a few miles from londons financial centre.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #113: Oct 16, 2010 05:38:36 pm
      Arsenal's only 60,000 tho yeah?

Do you think we could sell out 90,000 every home game?

A design which could be increased when needed might be a good option as to go from 45,000 to something to big straight away night not work.

As redprint said, Arsenal can charge more being in London, esp. for the boxes - plus they have boxes around the whole stadium which we can never have (Kop).

Whatever we build will have to have boxes, possibly two rows, as this is where the money is these days.

I am not sure we'd fill a 90,000 stadium for every game, especially against your Blackpools and for carling cup games - unless tickets were aggressively priced.  We'd easily sell out for games v. utd, everton, arsenal, chelsea. 

I agree that we to have an extension planned, building the footings in with the new stadium, that will make it cheaper and easier to expand in future if necessary.

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #114: Oct 16, 2010 05:59:42 pm
      I'd say 65,000 - 70,000 with the option to add 15,000 more at a later date. Our season ticket list will be drastically reduced regardless. Also prices will definintely increase but that's the costs of moving stadium.

Quick Reply