Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2754113 times
      waltonl4, Gill95 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #23000: Aug 28, 2017 11:28:53 pm
      That's all we can ask of them. Just listen to Klopp and do what he wants. Very good post mate.

Yeah Arsenal have outspent us by £75 million net cumulative over the past 5 years and the end all be all net spend argument was on full display yesterday at Anfield.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #23001: Aug 28, 2017 11:34:51 pm
      Yeah Arsenal have outspent us by £75 million net cumulative over the past 5 years and the end all be all net spend argument was on full display yesterday at Anfield.

We made them look so ordinary & disorganised.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23002: Aug 28, 2017 11:39:36 pm
      We made them look so ordinary & disorganised.

More than anything I think it highlights a collection of players vs an actual team. We all at times may bemoan the gaffer for playing a particular player or binning one (ie Sakho) but there is a method behind what the mad German is doing.

He's not perfect and we will lose matches but he knows what he is doing and what is best for this club and his squad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #23003: Aug 29, 2017 12:20:54 am
      More than anything I think it highlights a collection of players vs an actual team. We all at times may bemoan the gaffer for playing a particular player or binning one (ie Sakho) but there is a method behind what the mad German is doing.

He's not perfect and we will lose matches but he knows what he is doing and what is best for this club and his squad.

This will unfortunately get lost on people but 100% correct.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #23004: Aug 29, 2017 01:27:37 am
      Imagine paying over £50m for a transfer and not even getting him for another season.

Tight arses.

In other news, RBL are essentially paying £25m or so for a season long loan :D

Well they aren't paying anything right now. We won't pay till he actually becomes a Liverpool player next summer from what I read. So that fee will easily be covered by the money we get for Phil next year.

We've still only spent on Salah and Robertson so far this summer.

Buy VVD, Lemar and keep Phil this year and then we can start bringing out the bunting.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #23005: Aug 29, 2017 06:54:20 am
      I am sure I'm not alone in hoping I have to reappraise my thoughts about JWH&Co,
      I am hoping also it was worth waiting for.
      Exactly Stuey, it's a case of ok FSG, prove me wrong. Please, prove me wrong.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #23006: Aug 29, 2017 11:05:47 am
      I am sure I'm not alone in hoping I have to reappraise my thoughts about JWH&Co,
      I am hoping also it was worth waiting for.

Exactly Stuey. We all want them to get the tagets in, nobody wants to spend all Summer having a pop at the ownership.

The Keita deal is fine with me. If we have to wait a season then so be it.

The Lemar deal would be another coup for the club no doubt about that.

Coutinho will be leaving for a 9 figure sum so when he does the moulding of this squad should not stop there. Getting a centre half in to partner Matip and a class goalkeeper to play behind them and we are looking very good indeed.

They have a class manager in Klopp and if they follow his vision through and deliver him the players he wants then they will get sporting rewards as well as financial.

The last few seasons have been fruatrating but hopefully the investment continues.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #23007: Aug 29, 2017 11:15:37 am
      We've still only spent on Salah and Robertson so far this summer.

Not to mention that their transfer cost is spread over 5 years - so a total £9M per year added to our outgoings for the next 5 years.

When you look at the extra £55M PL money last season, the extra £25M (conservative estimate) from matchday and even the £12M recouped in transfer fees this summer then the past season has probably been extremely good from a financial point of view.

Klopp's right when he says he has the money to spend.  Liverpool have barely dipped their toes in the water yet on transfers.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #23008: Aug 30, 2017 12:25:33 am
      Imagine we had the fella at Arsenal
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #23009: Aug 30, 2017 06:08:35 pm
      I'm always happy to give praise where due and it's due now. No qualification, ifs or buts.

I truly welcome the intent and tenacity they have shown this Summer. 😎
      Kopite78
      Reply #23010: Aug 30, 2017 08:44:20 pm
      I'm always happy to give praise where due and it's due now. No qualification, ifs or buts.

I truly welcome the intent and tenacity they have shown this Summer. 😎

Me and you have led the way I believe in constructive criticism/questions

But I agree, if we land VVD (not convinced but still wonder why we aren't looking elsewhere and live in hope) and Lemar ( I believe is the replacement for Coutinho, potentially still next summer than this ) added to Chamberlain, Solanke, Salah, Robertson and Kieta deal done for next season then I will tip my hat to them and even if I don't forgive mistakes of the previous 6 years or so I think it will be showing they have learnt and are taking us forward.

I really hope I'm in here tomorrow offering a massive tipping of my hat and a slight eating of it

I really think if we pull those two off we may well be spending for two years rather than one
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #23011: Aug 30, 2017 08:48:27 pm
      Me and you have led the way I believe in constructive criticism/questions

But I agree, if we land VVD (not convinced but still wonder why we aren't looking elsewhere and live in hope) and Lemar ( I believe is the replacement for Coutinho, potentially still next summer than this ) added to Chamberlain, Solanke, Salah, Robertson and Kieta deal done for next season then I will tip my hat to them and even if I don't forgive mistakes of the previous 6 years or so I think it will be showing they have learnt and are taking us forward.

I really hope I'm in here tomorrow offering a massive tipping of my hat and a slight eating of it

I really think if we pull those two off we may well be spending for two years rather than one

If we get another in, preferably VVD I might join you with my hat.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #23012: Aug 30, 2017 09:16:40 pm

Get Van Dijk, keep Coutinho and I'll be pleased with both their ambition and resolve from this summer.  We will be bringing in about £150M more this season than in 2015-16 so I'd imagine there is still huge sums available if we can do the deals.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #23013: Aug 30, 2017 10:28:16 pm
      nobody wants to spend all Summer having a pop at the ownership.

Sorry to just pick this one part out mate, but I read it and wondered if that's fully true or not.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #23014: Aug 30, 2017 10:54:39 pm
      Sorry to just pick this one part out mate, but I read it and wondered if that's fully true or not.

Ideally we wouldn't be talking about the owners at all, but given the events over the last 7 seasons, there's been plenty to discuss.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #23015: Aug 31, 2017 01:49:23 am
      Just to place some perspective on the matter.

If we get another signing in after Oxlade-Chamberlain then Klopp's net-spend will break through the £15M per window barrier!

Done a great job - with lets face it - below-average funds to date.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #23016: Aug 31, 2017 06:23:49 am
      Ideally we wouldn't be talking about the owners at all, but given the events over the last 7 seasons, there's been plenty to discuss.

While this is true, that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Even if there wasn't plenty to discuss I firmly believe some people would find something to complain about
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23017: Aug 31, 2017 11:58:28 am
      Just to place some perspective on the matter.

If we get another signing in after Oxlade-Chamberlain then Klopp's net-spend will break through the £15M per window barrier!

Done a great job - with lets face it - below-average funds to date.

I'm not sure that the "net spend" argument holds up too well when we have had managers constantly moving players in and out, plus a couple of big sales, as it gives a bit of a distorted figure.

That, to me, has been our biggest problem; a lack of continuity in management, new managers coming in and wanting their own squad, and so constant rebuilding.

Klopp surely has most of the squad he wants in place, so we'll have a clearer picture of spending.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #23018: Aug 31, 2017 12:21:12 pm
      we have had managers constantly moving players in and out, plus a couple of big sales, as it gives a bit of a distorted figure.

I was talking specifically about Jürgen Klopp's time though.  If we do sell Sakho for £30M then Klopp will have spent £30M more on players than he has sold across 4 transfer windows. 

I'm not a massive fan of the 'net spend' either but I do think it is worthy of pointing out.

'You can have all the money from players sales plus £7.5M, do your best' doesn't sound like significant investment to me.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23019: Aug 31, 2017 12:30:09 pm
      I was talking specifically about Jürgen Klopp's time though.  If we do sell Sakho for £30M then Klopp will have spent £30M more on players than he has sold across 4 transfer windows. 

I'm not a massive fan of the 'net spend' either but I do think it is worthy of pointing out.

'You can have all the money from players sales plus £7.5M, do your best' doesn't sound like significant investment to me.

Of course it is worthy of pointing out and of discussion, but it is one of those subjects where context is everything.

For example, we now have a manager who won't spend for the sake of spending, unlike British (or NI) managers who seem pre-programmed to spend every penny they can regardless of whether or not the players will improve the squad.

The bottom line for me is the question "has the team and squad improved since Klopp came here", and the answer is undoubtedly yes, both through coaching and buying the right players that best fit his team.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      Reply #23020: Aug 31, 2017 12:39:04 pm
      LFC welcome Naby Keita!

Let's just hope we're not welcoming him to the Europa League too
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #23021: Aug 31, 2017 01:06:25 pm
      LFC welcome Naby Keita!

Let's just hope we're not welcoming him to the Europa League too

About a year too early on that welcome bud.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      Reply #23022: Aug 31, 2017 01:09:25 pm
      About a year too early on that welcome bud.
      He can still get a welcome

Quick Reply