Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2768877 times
      Kopite78
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #23299: Sep 06, 2017 04:33:07 pm
      If Moores continues, all due respect to his contribution to his point of sale, where is this club today.

No one seems to really take into account the splash of cash into rival clubs over the last decade. We're competing against much more than we ever have in the PL era. The repeated failed opportunities to win the league under Moores should also be taken into account if we're talking trophies.

For the record I wasn't or am not suggesting that Moores was a perfect owner but I just contended that fsg have already done more for the club than he did..

They may well go on to do more for the club than he did in time and I sure as hope they do.. But right now? I can't see that personally.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #23300: Sep 06, 2017 04:36:14 pm
      The simple fact is that FSG have done more for the club in less than 7 years than Moores did in 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7tvauOJMHo
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #23301: Sep 06, 2017 04:39:02 pm
      If Moores continues, all due respect to his contribution to his point of sale, where is this club today.

No one seems to really take into account the splash of cash into rival clubs over the last decade. We're competing against much more than we ever have in the PL era. The repeated failed opportunities to win the league under Moores should also be taken into account if we're talking trophies.

The repeated failure to win absolutely F**k all under FSG is well taken into account.
      Sorry mate - one league cup.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #23302: Sep 06, 2017 04:42:53 pm
      For the record I wasn't or am not suggesting that Moores was a perfect owner but I just contended that fsg have already done more for the club than he did..

They may well go on to do more for the club than he did in time and I sure as hope they do.. But right now? I can't see that personally.

I can definitely see the sentiment, for sure. I just think apples for apples comparison needs to then also take into account the climate in which they worked, and I certainly think in the Moores era the club failed to grasp where the league was going, where football was heading - and ultimately is actually the reason we are where we are now, fighting to get back in with the constant elite echelon rather than being a part of it.

Certainly not a crack at your opinion or anyones really, just another piece of food for thought - I think so many fail to look at the bigger picture, the footy climate that is ever changing, and work out where each piece of history/events measure in the context of time.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #23303: Sep 06, 2017 04:43:31 pm
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #23304: Sep 06, 2017 04:44:26 pm
      The repeated failure to win absolutely f**k all under FSG is well taken into account.
      Sorry mate - one league cup.

With that post, I can see you have missed my overall point.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #23305: Sep 06, 2017 04:48:58 pm
      I say this as a Yankees fan -  they've bent the rules, not cheated in the worst possible way, IMO. You're allowed to steal signs, what you're not allowed to do is use technology to transmit the signs you've stolen faster than what the human element allows. Yes, it is cheating in a sense, and I do agree they should be punished for it. But just wanted to give context to the discussion, so that it's not just OMG THEY'RE CHEATERS THE SOULLESS bas**rds. 21st Century tech in an old mans game is an interesting quagmire that the sport has to deal with. I'm sure they knew it was wrong, but it is by no means the worst transgression you could do in baseball, for mine. For those that might read the above statement without any knowledge of baseball and think the worlds falling apart, don't.

I suspect the Sox will be fined, nothing more.

I'm just glad someone found a use for the Apple watch.  ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #23306: Sep 06, 2017 04:52:56 pm
      I suspect the Sox will be fined, nothing more.

I'm just glad someone found a use for the Apple watch.  ;D

Someone told me once they have an app for telling the time?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #23307: Sep 06, 2017 06:06:32 pm
      With that post, I can see you have missed my overall point.

I fully understood the meaning of the post, although the reference to ''Moores continuing'' at the beginning did confuse.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23308: Sep 06, 2017 06:26:43 pm

I suppose it depends on how you see the club.
      If by the club you mean the club as a whole including, coaching staff, revenue streams, infrastructure and everything else (as I do) then it's FSG.
      If you mean purely by what we win, then Moores.

The problem is that the second view is dependent on the first.
      Without that input and work, we would just keep slipping further and further back, so yes trophies are great, and we all want to win them, but without having the right things in place, that can't happen except as a fluke.
      Kopite78
      Reply #23309: Sep 06, 2017 06:41:55 pm
      I suppose it depends on how you see the club.
      If by the club you mean the club as a whole including, coaching staff, revenue streams, infrastructure and everything else (as I do) then it's FSG.
      If you mean purely by what we win, then Moores.

The problem is that the second view is dependent on the first.
      Without that input and work, we would just keep slipping further and further back, so yes trophies are great, and we all want to win them, but without having the right things in place, that can't happen except as a fluke.

But if you're suggesting we didn't have the  first under Moores then how did we achieve the second?  :confused-smiley-013:

I'm not sure how winning 8 major trophies and then the additional ones around could be deemed a fluke?

As I said mate I'm not really an fsg basher,  but I just dispute that already fsg have done more for the club than he ever did

I can't see us coming over to the others view mate but I respect yours  :gt-happyup:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23310: Sep 06, 2017 06:48:54 pm
      But if you're suggesting we didn't have the  first under Moores then how did we achieve the second?  :confused-smiley-013:

I'm not sure how winning 8 major trophies and then the additional ones around could be deemed a fluke?

As I said mate I'm not really an fsg basher,  but I just dispute that already fsg have done more for the club than he ever did

I can't see us coming over to the others view mate but I respect yours  :gt-happyup:

Because times have changed.
      It was possible in 91 to win the league without huge resources (although we still failed under his ownership).
      It's not now.
      Back then we had to compete with a couple of teams who were about the same as us in terms of spending and revenue.
      Now, we're competing with at least 4 teams who can outspend us, although Arsenal may be dropping out of that group.
      It's not just transfer fee's, wages as well are astronomical compared to even a few years ago.

It all adds up, and I guess my main point is that FSG have dragged us into the 21st Century.
      In football terms, it's not a place I particularly like, but it's something I have to accept, which includes accepting that now more than ever, we need to keep increasing money that doesn't come from gate receipts.

Just to add: it's not about bashing or supporting them, we're just having a conversation :) (which I've enjoyed)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,947 posts | 5007 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #23311: Sep 06, 2017 07:42:22 pm
      I say this as a Yankees fan -  they've bent the rules, not cheated in the worst possible way, IMO. You're allowed to steal signs, what you're not allowed to do is use technology to transmit the signs you've stolen faster than what the human element allows. Yes, it is cheating in a sense, and I do agree they should be punished for it. But just wanted to give context to the discussion, so that it's not just OMG THEY'RE CHEATERS THE SOULLESS bas**rds. 21st Century tech in an old mans game is an interesting quagmire that the sport has to deal with. I'm sure they knew it was wrong, but it is by no means the worst transgression you could do in baseball, for mine. For those that might read the above statement without any knowledge of baseball and think the worlds falling apart, don't.

I think the most interesting thing is they've thrown an accusation straight back at the Yankees. Slightly off topic to say this but, rivalry baby. I hope this means it's back, as dirty and fu**ed up as it ever was :D

I'm sure you find it cringeworthy to hear a yank talk footy when they know f**k all about it. So do us a favour, don't talk about something you know f**k all about.

Bloke with a bat, Bloke with a ball, bloke with ball chucks said ball to the bloke with the bat, bloke with bat tries to hit ball as far as he can, he has 3 attempts(strikes), once ball is hit , bloke with bat runs to a wee plate(1) guarded by bloke with ball's team buddy, if hit ball is caught by another of bloke with ball's buddy he can chuck ball to buddy guarding plate to try and stop bloke with bat reaching said plate, once bloke with bat reaches wee plate(1) one of his buddies who also has a bat tries to hit another ball chucked by bloke with ball, if second bloke with ball hits ball he has to make to plate(1) and first bloke runs to plate(2).....If However bloke two hits ball out of the park then he and bloke 1 runs all the way round two other wee plates and back 'Home' hence a 'Home Run' scoring two pts for getting two blokes 'home'........Can't be Arsed with rest of it cos it's f***in boring, but basically that's it isn't it.. ?.a game for big girls Blouses, kids and dumbasses !

You'll Never Catch it Alone !
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #23312: Sep 06, 2017 08:43:18 pm

Bloke with a bat, Bloke with a ball, bloke with ball chucks said ball to the bloke with the bat, bloke with bat tries to hit ball as far as he can, he has 3 attempts(strikes), once ball is hit , bloke with bat runs to a wee plate(1) guarded by bloke with ball's team buddy, if hit ball is caught by another of bloke with ball's buddy he can chuck ball to buddy guarding plate to try and stop bloke with bat reaching said plate, once bloke with bat reaches wee plate(1) one of his buddies who also has a bat tries to hit another ball chucked by bloke with ball, if second bloke with ball hits ball he has to make to plate(1) and first bloke runs to plate(2).....If However bloke two hits ball out of the park then he and bloke 1 runs all the way round two other wee plates and back 'Home' hence a 'Home Run' scoring two pts for getting two blokes 'home'........Can't be Arsed with rest of it cos it's f***in boring, but basically that's it isn't it.. ?.a game for big girls Blouses, kids and dumbasses !

Haha silly boys rounders ;D.

One thing the Americans have excelled at over the years is making sports nobody else really wants to play and then being the best at that sport, whereas here in England we invent them, the sport goes global and then get taught how to play it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #23313: Sep 06, 2017 08:52:12 pm

One thing the Americans have excelled at over the years is making sports nobody else really wants to play and then being the best at that sport, whereas here in England we invent them, the sport goes global and then get taught how to play it.

Haha "World Series" my F***ing arse.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #23314: Sep 06, 2017 09:17:19 pm

Super Bowl - biggest piece of hyped up sh*t I've ever seen. What sort of sport stops every three seconds to regroup? That's not a sport, that's just a mess.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23315: Sep 06, 2017 09:25:27 pm
      I can definitely see the sentiment, for sure. I just think apples for apples comparison needs to then also take into account the climate in which they worked, and I certainly think in the Moores era the club failed to grasp where the league was going, where football was heading - and ultimately is actually the reason we are where we are now, fighting to get back in with the constant elite echelon rather than being a part of it.

Certainly not a crack at your opinion or anyones really, just another piece of food for thought - I think so many fail to look at the bigger picture, the footy climate that is ever changing, and work out where each piece of history/events measure in the context of time.

When John Moores sold the club we were rated the best in Europe or second best.

Say what you want about the commercial side of things but when he left the football side was spot on
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #23316: Sep 06, 2017 09:30:07 pm

Say what you want about the commercial side of things but when he left the football side was spot on

Yeah but just a few years earlier we were getting knocked out of the UEFA Cup earlier than we should have to clubs like Marseille and Celtic. For me Rafa claims sole credit for our status in Europe a decade ago.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23317: Sep 06, 2017 09:36:06 pm
      Yeah but just a few years earlier we were getting knocked out of the UEFA Cup earlier than we should have to clubs like Marseille and Celtic. For me Rafa claims sole credit for our status in Europe a decade ago.
      Good point!

But he deserves credit for tapping Rafa up and getting him here.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #23318: Sep 06, 2017 09:40:05 pm
      Good point!

But he deserves credit for tapping Rafa up and getting him here.

Yeah in fairness to him and Parry that was the most influential decision the club ever made in the modern era. Only one man in the world could have delivered Istanbul and that is Rafa! Forever in his debt!
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23319: Sep 06, 2017 09:44:33 pm
      I remember that Marseille game it was when Drogba took Carragher apart
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #23320: Sep 06, 2017 10:32:25 pm

Ironically reminds of the stereotypical American take on football.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftlfPb0gyxI
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23321: Sep 06, 2017 10:49:15 pm

So you don't even know the blokes name, but you're banging on like you know our history?
       :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

John Moores was chairman of Everton ffs, not Liverpool.
      We're talking about his nephew, David Moores  :roll:
       :lmao:
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2017 11:07:52 pm by Swab »

Quick Reply