Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2763230 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,257 posts | 1390 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #25806: Aug 18, 2020 07:38:44 pm
      Maybe.

I'm not keen on nostalgia when it comes to managerial appointments.

I want the best man for the job, no matter where he's from.

Agreed and I'll get back to you on this one..approx Jan 2024..
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,923 posts | 3400 
      Reply #25807: Aug 18, 2020 07:47:28 pm

Yep you stated his ā€œtraditional 7 year breakā€

Can you explain that when he hasnā€™t ever had a 7 year break
      Kopite78
      Reply #25808: Aug 18, 2020 07:58:14 pm

Or a break every 7 years

Neither of them
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #25809: Aug 18, 2020 08:33:50 pm

HE HAS A BREAK EVERY SEVEN YEARS.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #25810: Aug 18, 2020 08:36:34 pm
      Speaking of Klopp's successor, I reckon another youngish German bloke will get it.
      It seems there's quite the conveyor belt of managerial talent over there, and I'd expect Klopp to have some input as well.

Another four years, try his assistant Pep. May well be the right person by that point to take over.
      Kopite78
      Reply #25811: Aug 18, 2020 08:41:05 pm

No he doesn't

Finished at Mainz at the end of the 07-08
      Took over Dortmund begining of the 08-09 season

Didn't have or say anything about a break in between those two jobs

Intended to take a break after Dortmund but took over us in the October

That's not a break every 7 years now is it 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,923 posts | 3400 
      Reply #25812: Aug 18, 2020 08:44:48 pm

Are you sure ? He left Mainz and the took the Dortmund job in the same month - he had one break after the Dortmund but only because he was waiting for the right offer -

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/JĆ¼rgen-klopp-no-sabbatical-not-percet-coach

So maybe stop posting sh*te along with all your other sh*te about the owners
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #25813: Aug 18, 2020 10:45:47 pm
      Are you sure ? He left Mainz and the took the Dortmund job in the same month - he had one break after the Dortmund but only because he was waiting for the right offer -

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/JĆ¼rgen-klopp-no-sabbatical-not-percet-coach

So maybe stop posting sh*te along with all your other sh*te about the owners

2001 - 2008 Mainze 7 years
      2008 - 2015 B. Dortmund 7 years
      2015 LFC ?

FFS find something to do you miserable pr**k.

Kopite78
      Reply #25814: Aug 18, 2020 10:51:15 pm
      2015 LFC ?

Deep down I always thought you were kind of smart 

F***ing wrong wasnt I
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4927 
      Reply #25815: Aug 18, 2020 10:56:21 pm
      FSG failed miserably to appoint the right man for the job pre-Klopp

Appointing a guy who was one of the bright young coaches at the time who was within one win of bringing us the league title is hardly failing miserably.

The wheels came off quite dramatically for Brendan but it wasn't the huge mistake of an appointment you're trying to make it out to be.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25816: Aug 18, 2020 11:00:33 pm
      Appointing a guy who was one of the bright young coaches at the time who was within one win of bringing us the league title is hardly failing miserably.

The wheels came off quite dramatically for Brendan but it wasn't the huge mistake of an appointment you're trying to make it out to be.

Yep.

A lot of revisionism on here at times.
      BR did a good job up to a point, but at that age the job became a bit too big for him, and ultimately, I think he was a victim of his own hubris.
      It wasn't all down to Suarez and Gerrard either, as some like to think.
      We played some great football under BR, and that comes from the training ground, nowhere else.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Reply #25817: Aug 18, 2020 11:03:13 pm
      Could be worse Peter Lim could have acquired us  :f_whistle:
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,923 posts | 3400 
      Reply #25818: Aug 19, 2020 06:09:52 am
      2015 LFC ?

You are a bit stupid arenā€™t you - do you even read what you say

So what you should of said was

Klopp stays at a club for approx 7 years and then looks to move on to the next job.

None of the 7 year break sh*te you were dribbling on about

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #25819: Aug 19, 2020 08:56:17 am

No matter how close mate second is nowhere.

edit: I rather think Steven Gerrard would totally agree with that statement.
      « Last Edit: Aug 19, 2020 12:03:56 pm by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #25820: Aug 19, 2020 09:00:13 am
      You are a bit stupid arenā€™t you - do you even read what you say

So what you should of said was

Klopp stays at a club for approx 7 years and then looks to move on to the next job.

None of the 7 year break sh*te you were dribbling on about

Whatever.
      No use responding you are idiotic.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,923 posts | 3400 
      Reply #25821: Aug 19, 2020 09:07:35 am

FSG made some early mistakes - they appointed Kenny after he did a good job steadying the ship after Hodgson , gave him a lot of money and prob on the back of the fans feelings - in hindsight it was the wrong appointment.

When he was let go the backlash was brutal but it was the right choice to make even though we won a cup

I understand they wanted Klopp then but wasnā€™t available so went with a bright upcoming coach - he did well with prob our best shot at winning the league for 20 plus years , but it was clear the transfers were just not good enough and then arrived Klopp but not just Klopp also Edwards and whilst some only want to give credit to Klopp , Edwards is a massive part in it all

At the same time the owners were working very hard to improve things off the field including the all important stadium build which they should get a lot of credit for

I find it ludicrous that some fail to see the good work done by the owners but then I guess some become so entrenched in their view they prob see it as weakness to back track
      Kopite78
      Reply #25822: Aug 19, 2020 09:18:37 am
      FSG made some early mistakes - they appointed Kenny after he did a good job steadying the ship after Hodgson , gave him a lot of money and prob on the back of the fans feelings - in hindsight it was the wrong appointment.

When he was let go the backlash was brutal but it was the right choice to make even though we won a cup

I understand they wanted Klopp then but wasnā€™t available so went with a bright upcoming coach - he did well with prob our best shot at winning the league for 20 plus years , but it was clear the transfers were just not good enough and then arrived Klopp but not just Klopp also Edwards and whilst some only want to give credit to Klopp , Edwards is a massive part in it all

At the same time the owners were working very hard to improve things off the field including the all important stadium build which they should get a lot of credit for

I find it ludicrous that some fail to see the good work done by the owners but then I guess some become so entrenched in their view they prob see it as weakness to back track

To be fair there is a lot of filling in the gaps and using hindsite there

I don't believe for one second they had a long term on the pitch plan

For as you say as much as they wanted Klopp after Kenny, I'm not sure like... but if he was their man they went a strange way around it by not simply making a beeline for him post Rodgers
      They interviewed him along with 3 others at least

I still think it was a happy accident that they ended up with JĆ¼rgen and he has made their model work

Now that's not a full criticism of them or their model but it hadnt worked so far really up until that point, yes some of the men above JĆ¼rgen do unbelievable jobs but I genuinely think without JĆ¼rgen then I'm not sure it works so well - on the field

For me FSG have done some fantastic work off the field, but that's their speciality really, streamlining and making businesses efficient
      But on the field its needed the perfect man to sew it together, who I think it's a stretch to say they knew he was the man to do that all along
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #25823: Aug 19, 2020 11:16:24 am
      Let's not forget JĆ¼rgen cut short his traditional 7 year break to join LFC, given that fact his tenure at Anfield could be an exception to the rule, the wording of his statement does leave cause for some optimism.

If as time progresses, a decision to leave is set in stone Klopp's genius in producing world class footballers should be utilised in selecting a potential world class coach as his successor.
      Plenty of time yet to appoint an understudy/potential replacement.

I think his thing for 7 year tenures are made out to he more than what they are, I'd say its probably more of a coincidence that both of his previous jobs have lasted the same amount of time

He was relegated with Mainz the season after he was promoted to the Bundesliga. He gave it one more season in the second tier to try and get them promoted again but couldn't manage it. At that time he probably felt he'd done all that he could, this then coincided with his offer from Dortmund.

His time at Dortmund obviously came to an end after that freak season where they were languishing around the relegation zone for a lot of the campaign but after a late flurry ended up finishing 7th. This was after several years of Bayern constantly poaching his best players, so at this point he probably again felt as though he'd ran himself into the ground and done all he could. So as I say, I can't really see him cutting his Liverpool tenure short unless like his previous two roles, he finds himself in a position where, for reasons out of his control, he feels he can just no longer compete. Touch wood that doesn't happen at Liverpool!

Do agree a potential understudy too, I think it's definitely an avenue worth exploring
      « Last Edit: Aug 19, 2020 11:25:18 am by TameImpala »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25824: Aug 19, 2020 12:34:58 pm

Edwards came in 2011, after Comolli got binned.

The problem with BR seemed to be that he didn't know how to use the players Edwards recommended, Firmino being a case in point.

The analytical work that Edwards and his team do, though much maligned on here, has proven to be a success.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #25825: Aug 19, 2020 12:53:17 pm
      I think his thing for 7 year tenures are made out to he more than what they are, I'd say its probably more of a coincidence that both of his previous jobs have lasted the same amount of time

He was relegated with Mainz the season after he was promoted to the Bundesliga. He gave it one more season in the second tier to try and get them promoted again but couldn't manage it. At that time he probably felt he'd done all that he could, this then coincided with his offer from Dortmund.

His time at Dortmund obviously came to an end after that freak season where they were languishing around the relegation zone for a lot of the campaign but after a late flurry ended up finishing 7th. This was after several years of Bayern constantly poaching his best players, so at this point he probably again felt as though he'd ran himself into the ground and done all he could. So as I say, I can't really see him cutting his Liverpool tenure short unless like his previous two roles, he finds himself in a position where, for reasons out of his control, he feels he can just no longer compete. Touch wood that doesn't happen at Liverpool!

Do agree a potential understudy too, I think it's definitely an avenue worth exploring

Hopefully the 7 year interlude is coincidental and concerns a  lack of any great success with his previous clubs, Klopp's statement however does give cause for concern; he does intend to take time out (I avoid the word "break" as some F***ing numbskull does take offence at the mere sight of the word) and mull over the notion of exiting the game entirely.

Numerous successful managers have uttered similar words in the past but the bug is difficult to shake, it is highly unlikely JĆ¼rgen will do as he did when LFC came calling if one of our rivals enquired for his services. Obviously a return to LFC when the itch strikes is a dream we all savour - the only worry has to be the case of the German national side requiring a manager.
      Such a post would greatly appeal and would involve a great deal less pressure and time away from his family as well as a  multitude of other benefits.

Bollocks to it enjoy the moment.
      Kopite78
      Reply #25826: Aug 19, 2020 12:57:37 pm
      Hopefully the 7 year interlude is coincidental and concerns a  lack of any great success with his previous clubs, Klopp's statement however does give cause for concern; he does intend to take time out (I avoid the word "break" as some f**king numbskull does take offence at the mere sight of the word) and mull over the notion of exiting the game entirely.

Numerous successful managers have uttered similar words in the past but the bug is difficult to shake, it is highly unlikely JĆ¼rgen will do as he did when LFC came calling if one of our rivals enquired for his services. Obviously a return to LFC when the itch strikes is a dream we all savour - the only worry has to be the case of the German national side requiring a manager.
      Such a post would greatly appeal and would involve a great deal less pressure and time away from his family as well as a  multitude of other benefits.

Bollocks to it enjoy the moment.

You seem to be confused about a mere coincidence and calling it a consistent 'break'

Then you shout at people when actually you're the one who is wrong and talking nonsense

His new deal takes him to 2024.. That's 9 years anyway, god forbid he has a holiday in the summer of 2022 or you'll be claiming that's his 7 year 'break'
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #25827: Aug 19, 2020 02:02:45 pm

Absolute bollocks, Klopp wasn't even considered after they sacked Kenny. They had meetings with Martinez and Rodgers. Henry was spotted having an ice-cream with Henry and Brendog brought his famous power-point presentation.

Bren got the job!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #25828: Aug 19, 2020 02:04:48 pm
      Edwards came in 2011, after Comolli got binned.

The problem with BR seemed to be that he didn't know how to use the players Edwards recommended, Firmino being a case in point.

The analytical work that Edwards and his team do, though much maligned on here, has proven to be a success.

Edwards was part of transfer committee and got a recommendation to go with his job application for current role. Klopp wanted Edwards in that position.

Quick Reply