Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2644344 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #25829: Aug 19, 2020 02:29:16 pm
      Edwards was part of transfer committee and got a recommendation to go with his job application for current role. Klopp wanted Edwards in that position.

Edwards first became the Redsā€™ head of performance and analysis from November 2011 to May 2013.

He was then director of technical performance from June 2013 to July 2015, and technical director from then until November 2016, when he became sporting director, the role he fills now.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-edwards-real-story-behind-17994543

So, no, "Head of" is not the same as "part of", the latter being a member of the team working under someone, the former being the boss of that team, and as I said, he came in, in 2011.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #25830: Aug 19, 2020 04:48:48 pm
      Absolute bollocks, Klopp wasn't even considered after they sacked Kenny. They had meetings with Martinez and Rodgers. Henry was spotted having an ice-cream with Henry and Brendog brought his famous power-point presentation.

Bren got the job!

Just because there were no formal interviews doesn't mean he wasn't considered. Wouldn't surprise me at all if there was at least some interest from our side, but he'd just won the title with Dortmund that very year so any initial enquiries would have gotten a swift knock back from the club and himself

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2020 08:57:56 pm by TameImpala »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25831: Aug 19, 2020 06:31:55 pm
      Just because there were no formal interviews doesn't mean he wasn't considered. Wouldn't surprise me at all if there was at least some interest from our side, but he'd just won the title with Dortmund that very year so any initial enquiries would have gotten a swift knock back from the club and himself

Pretty sure there was a thread with an article in it about FSG's admiration for Kopp's Dortmund at least a couple of years before he came here, maybe longer.

So I agree, I think they were long time admirers of Klopp, and would have at least spoken to his agent at some point.

Interesting that in BR, they picked a coach who was a bit of a Poundshop Klopp, with his little dossier.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #25832: Aug 19, 2020 08:56:58 pm
      Pretty sure there was a thread with an article in it about FSG's admiration for Kopp's Dortmund at least a couple of years before he came here, maybe longer.

So I agree, I think they were long time admirers of Klopp, and would have at least spoken to his agent at some point.

Interesting that in BR, they picked a coach who was a bit of a Poundshop Klopp, with his little dossier.

Only need to look at the team he built there. In 2012 when we had a vacancy to fill, Dortmund had just won their 2nd title on the bounce and were an established Champions League side. All done on a shoestring budget, so he would have suited FSG's "model" perfectly. If there was any interest from his side I've no doubt we'd have hired JĆ¼rgen there & then
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #25833: Aug 20, 2020 07:14:35 am
      Find anything to argue about in this forum. Even when were champions of everything. ;D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25834: Aug 20, 2020 07:22:52 am
      Find anything to argue about in this forum. Even when were champions of everything. ;D

No we don't......
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25835: Aug 20, 2020 07:25:07 am
      Remember the days when Curbishley was constantly linked and Gordon f**king Strachan was actually interviewed for the job?

*shudders*
      Kopite78
      Reply #25836: Aug 20, 2020 09:04:28 am
      JĆ¼rgen, f**king great isn't he?

Wrong thread mate 😉

This one is where we argue about the owners

Some think they're the best and would lick ice cream from their ball bags

Some think they're alright and done what they should do

Some are Stuey
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25837: Aug 20, 2020 12:00:24 pm
      Wrong thread mate 😉

Some are Stuey

Does anyone really think that?

To me, they're alright, and really, with the stadium expansion, another one on the way, and a new training complex they've done more than just the basics.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25838: Aug 20, 2020 01:05:16 pm
      So we've reached historic consensus here on the no licking ice cream issue.
      Kopite78
      Reply #25839: Aug 20, 2020 02:12:34 pm
      Does anyone really think that?

Yeah I think so.
      With the way they go on about them

They're alright to me as well, I'm.very much in the 3rd option myself
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25840: Aug 20, 2020 02:31:44 pm
      Yeah I think so.
      With the way they go on about them

They're alright to me as well, I'm.very much in the 3rd option myself

The thing that used to get me were the accusations of syphoning money out of the club.
      I could see clearly in the accounts that they weren't, and I found it pretty frustrating, but also understandable after the H&G fiasco.

I did a lot of reading about Henry and his sports group, and it was clear to me the (the group) were nothing like the 2 shysters, and were in fact, the complete opposite.
      They made some mistakes early on, but they rectified those mistakes very quickly.
      They've listened to supporter groups when they've made a boner as well.
      In Mike Gordon, we've got a bloke who is committed to the club, and became FSG's 2nd largest shareholder (after Henry) just so he could take a bigger stake, having been bitted by the Liverpool bug.

IMO there are few better owners around.
      Yes, of course you've got the oligarchs and oil billionaires, but I'd question if they are good for the long term future of any club, or the game in general.

Some of the sticks people use to try and beat them with are a bit ridiculous to be honest.
      I wasn't surprised to see the usual posters come in here to try and say it's all down to Klopp after we win a title, but I would question what they hoped to achieve by coming out with some pretty strange stuff while we were still celebrating the title.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough, suffice to say, as someone once said, they are a safe pair of hands, and that'll do me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25841: Aug 21, 2020 09:13:24 am
      To be fair there is a lot of filling in the gaps and using hindsite there

I don't believe for one second they had a long term on the pitch plan

For as you say as much as they wanted Klopp after Kenny, I'm not sure like... but if he was their man they went a strange way around it by not simply making a beeline for him post Rodgers
      They interviewed him along with 3 others at least

I still think it was a happy accident that they ended up with JĆ¼rgen and he has made their model work

Now that's not a full criticism of them or their model but it hadnt worked so far really up until that point, yes some of the men above JĆ¼rgen do unbelievable jobs but I genuinely think without JĆ¼rgen then I'm not sure it works so well - on the field

For me FSG have done some fantastic work off the field, but that's their speciality really, streamlining and making businesses efficient
      But on the field its needed the perfect man to sew it together, who I think it's a stretch to say they knew he was the man to do that all along

I think its more of a stretch to suggest that they don't have a long term plan or did not identify Klopp as the right man to manage the team, are you suggesting JĆ¼rgen's appointment was pure luck from FSG??
      Kopite78
      Reply #25842: Aug 21, 2020 09:45:31 am
      I think its more of a stretch to suggest that they don't have a long term plan or did not identify Klopp as the right man to manage the team, are you suggesting JĆ¼rgen's appointment was pure luck from FSG??

You seem to lumping all that together there to make it sound like I said that statement

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25843: Aug 22, 2020 01:05:30 pm
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #25844: Aug 24, 2020 02:12:45 pm
      Any reds who defend our transfer strategy and who ignore the alarming net spend tables would definitely pay a lot more attention to them if JĆ¼rgen left.

We are truly blessed with the best coach in world football and Iā€™d go as far as saying that no other manager could work under these restraints and deliver the same results. He is working miracles.

When the day comes and JĆ¼rgen leaves us, a lot more reds will turn on the owners if, presumably, they donā€™t change their ways because I promise you now, we wonā€™t be competitive on the pitch...at all.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #25845: Aug 24, 2020 03:40:39 pm
      Wrong thread mate 😉

Some are Stuey

Keep telling you and there is no disputing the fact that Klopp is the only reason we do not languish in mediocrity, as was the case before he took the reigns.
      There are more on the forum of the same opinion who could not be fu**ed stating the obvious to the short sighted.
      Kopite78
      Reply #25846: Aug 24, 2020 03:54:11 pm
      Keep telling you and there is no disputing the fact that Klopp is the only reason we do not languish in mediocrity, as was the case before he took the reigns.
      There are more on the forum of the same opinion who could not be fu**ed stating the obvious to the short sighted.

I mean, this is just mental

Because I consistently say the same myself that Klopp is the part and essential peice of the jigsaw that makes this work

You not had your meds today?
      Redrew
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #25848: Aug 24, 2020 08:19:12 pm
      Any reds who defend our transfer strategy and who ignore the alarming net spend tables would definitely pay a lot more attention to them if JĆ¼rgen left.

We are truly blessed with the best coach in world football and Iā€™d go as far as saying that no other manager could work under these restraints and deliver the same results. He is working miracles.

When the day comes and JĆ¼rgen leaves us, a lot more reds will turn on the owners if, presumably, they donā€™t change their ways because I promise you now, we wonā€™t be competitive on the pitch...at all.

Spot on
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #25849: Aug 24, 2020 08:28:17 pm

Is this some sort of piss take ?

ā€œAlarming net spendā€ tables ?! What sort of sh*te is that ?

Are you telling me you are that bothered that the club sold the likes of Ibe , Solanke etc and were able to buy the likes of Mane and Salah ?

The club works on a self sufficent model - smart transfers is key in that and the club have shown recently that they are every smart in the market ?

The club have spent over Ā£700mil maybe more with these owners - with Klopp spending a significant amount of money on players

Alisson Ā£65mil
      VVD- Ā£75mil
      Fabinho Ā£50 mil
      Keita Ā£60 mil
      Ox - Ā£35mil
      Mane -Ā£35mil
      Salah Ā£40mil

Our starting 11 cost more than the Bayern one that won the CL - so what exactly are these ā€œrestraints ā€œ - the manager has spent a lot of money
      Kopite78
      Reply #25850: Aug 24, 2020 09:12:02 pm

Is this some sort of piss take ?

ā€œAlarming net spendā€ tables ?! What sort of sh*te is that ?

Are you telling me you are that bothered that the club sold the likes of Ibe , Solanke etc and were able to buy the likes of Mane and Salah ?

The club works on a self sufficent model - smart transfers is key in that and the club have shown recently that they are every smart in the market ?

The club have spent over Ā£700mil maybe more with these owners - with Klopp spending a significant amount of money on players

Alisson Ā£65mil
      VVD- Ā£75mil
      Fabinho Ā£50 mil
      Keita Ā£60 mil
      Ox - Ā£35mil
      Mane -Ā£35mil
      Salah Ā£40mil

Our starting 11 cost more than the Bayern one that won the CL - so what exactly are these ā€œrestraints ā€œ - the manager has spent a lot of money

However you spin it we wouldnt have signed those players without selling

Coutinho Ā£146m
      Ings 20m
      Canos 4.5
      Skrtel 6m
      Ibe 15m
      Allen 13
      Smith 6
      Benteke 32
      Luis Alberto 6
      Illori 3.5
      Wisdom 4.5
      Lucas 6
      Stewart 8
      Sakho 26
      Ward 12
      Solanke 19
      Camacho 7
      Mignolet 8
      Kent 7
      Allan 3
      Lovren 10.9

Now say what you want about if they were wanted or if they were good enough but had we not sold them we wouldnt have signed any of the above

The most telling is obviously the signing of Alisson and Virgil but had we not sold Coutinho they wouldnt have happened
      Simple

I'm not somebody who 'hates' the owners but HTM is spot on, without JĆ¼rgen this system would fail like it did before him and potentially like it will when he goes

I'm not sure about your motives on here, you defend the owners to the end degree, you attempt to pull apart potential signings as not really worth it which can only be at best suspicious as they are world class players that would only improve us. Yet you dont see it
      That's not saying we should definitely sign them but you dismiss it out of hand which as I said is suspicious
      You get weirdly defensive when people question net spend which is valid, as again we dont sign Virgil and Alisson, two absolute game changers without selling the at the time prize assets

Weird lad, truth be told

They arent all bad, of course not, but the way you make them out is that their piss tastes of lemonade.

Truth is, they got lucky on the pitch by JĆ¼rgen turning out to be an absolute wonder
      But the same method didnt work before him and it may well not work after him
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #25851: Aug 24, 2020 09:23:15 pm
      However you spin it we wouldnt have signed those players without selling

Coutinho Ā£146m
      Ings 20m
      Canos 4.5
      Skrtel 6m
      Ibe 15m
      Allen 13
      Smith 6
      Benteke 32
      Luis Alberto 6
      Illori 3.5
      Wisdom 4.5
      Lucas 6
      Stewart 8
      Sakho 26
      Ward 12
      Solanke 19
      Camacho 7
      Mignolet 8
      Kent 7
      Allan 3
      Lovren 10.9

Now say what you want about if they were wanted or if they were good enough but had we not sold them we wouldnt have signed any of the above

The most telling is obviously the signing of Alisson and Virgil but had we not sold Coutinho they wouldnt have happened
      Simple

I'm not somebody who 'hates' the owners but HTM is spot on, without JĆ¼rgen this system would fail like it did before him and potentially like it will when he goes

I'm not sure about your motives on here, you defend the owners to the end degree, you attempt to pull apart potential signings as not really worth it which can only be at best suspicious as they are world class players that would only improve us. Yet you dont see it
      That's not saying we should definitely sign them but you dismiss it out of hand which as I said is suspicious
      You get weirdly defensive when people question net spend which is valid, as again we dont sign Virgil and Alisson, two absolute game changers without selling the at the time prizes asset

Weird lad, truth be told

ā€œSpin itā€ ?

So we have sold a load of players and used the funds to help improve the squad each year to the point where the squad was good enough to win major trophies - itā€™s part of how the club has worked and has done for many years.

Do you remember when we sold Ian Rush and used the money to improve the squad ?

Did we not look to sign VVD the summer before Coutinho left ?

Yes I will defend the owners - because they have played their part in where we are right now , and I didnā€™t realise there was motives to being on here. Yes I donā€™t think the club should sign Thiago but then thatā€™s just an opinion but then I suspect itā€™s one the clubs shares

And Net spent is irrelevent- some focus on it far too much , a club that is self sufficient will have a low net spend because they rely on the funds being generated by the club - what else do you expect to happen ? Seen plenty of people demand the owners leave because of a net spend table - ignoring the actual table that matters.

But what Iā€™m quite clear about is that Klopp doesnā€™t do it all on his own -

Quick Reply