Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2769516 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #27117: Feb 28, 2021 11:59:22 am

Actually we got reported for an illegal approach - that’s why we walked away in the summer, f**k all to do with the owners not wanting to spend . If they had approached the club properly we would have had VVD in the summer for around £50mil

When Coutinho left the owners went back with a bid that was at the time a good ÂŁ20mil over the price - that extra ÂŁ20mil was the punishment for illegal approach

VVD was available and wanted to come to us - his signing was irrelevant to Coutinho - him leaving helped get him during the Jan window. We didn’t sell a player just to enable the club to buy another

Would you call the club selling Keegan and then buying Kenny as sell to buy ? Or selling Rush and then buying Barnes and Beardsley as sell to buy ? - I suspect you didn’t cry your eyes out there

People like you try and use labels like “sell to buy” or net spend as something negative or derogatory towards the owners way of working

You have no idea what the club would have done if Coutinho stayed and you can post it as if it’s a fact what the could might have done.

You can accuse me of talking sh*t but at least I deal in facts and not some made up bollocks

You also once again have no idea what the club will do this summer but with Covid restrictions the level of money spent this summer will be restricted by many clubs beyond oil money and leveraged debt.

I don’t see the need for anything major in the summer. What I do know is that we as a club have lost £100mil

What you have done those is fail to provide proof to back up statements in regards the pots of money you believe the club have - I’m guessing the lack of response is down to being unable to provide the proof beyond someone wannabe posting about it on Twitter.

You are prob one of those that did nothing but point fingers at the likes of City and Chelsea for just spending yet want our owners to do the same

Don’t even know why I’m replying.

Yes you’re quite right we got reported for a legal approach. But so what? Do you think we’re the only club to have approached a player?  If that was barca or madrid coming in for one of our lads for example, and we threatened to snitch on them, do you think they’d care? Are you really that naive?

And we didn’t care either. Which is exactly why we went back in for him a few months later even though Southampton could have still reported us and complained to the FA. You say that I only use opinions and that you use facts but you’ve just completely made up that we spent an extra 20m on virgil as part of a punishment for our illegal approach. Where is your proof for that because that’s the first I’ve ever heard of it?

We paid 75m for virgil because saints knew we had a big pot of money from losing coutinho. The same way we spunked 35 on carroll because newcastle knew we had a big pot of money from losing torres. As always in football, money talks. Nobody gives a sh*t about morals.

I’ll say it once more. You know as well as I do that we wouldn’t have spent that amount of money on virgil or Ali if it wasn’t for coutinho going. I think 99.9% of reds would agree on that. You suggesting otherwise makes you look a bit of a tit. You can hide behind ‘NobOdY kNoWs FoR SuRE’ but you know, I know, everybody else knows it wouldn’t have happened. So again, give it a rest.

I don’t have to go through the accounts with a fine tooth comb. We finished fourth twice in consecutive seasons, securing champions league football. We reached the final in 18. We won it in 19. We won the league in 20. We won the super cup. The World Cup. We’ve had a huge increase over the past decade or so in tv money to the point stoke city can out spend us. We’ve secured great commercial deals in recent years too. And to top it all off we’re liverpool football club, a huge brand anyway without all of that, and we’ve only gotten bigger and grew more support since Jurgens been here. 

So without even looking at the accounts, all of the above tells me that money is available. If there isn’t any available because every last penny is spent elsewhere, then they’re putting our club at big risk aren’t they? Because that would obviously mean that we have to keep winning all the top prizes just to keep afloat! Scary! We couldn’t have been much more successful than what we’ve been in the last 2-3 years and you’re suggesting that we have no money! Frightening! Can only dread to think what will happen after a year or two of failure. Next Leeds United in the making?

You’re clutching at straws to the point you’re hiding behind the pandemic now too. FSGs criticisms have gone on for ten years, the pandemic has nothing to do with it, it just gives the likes of yourself something else to hide behind because moneys tight for everybody right now.

Look, you clearly think they’re great and I think they’re ok. There are some good things about them and there are some proper sh*te things about them too. Pointless playing tennis and going back and forth with each other. But as I said a week or two ago in here, the day Jürgen Klopp leaves this club will be a very dark one. Again, you’ll hide behind Jürgen being world class, irreplaceable perhaps, but if the FSG model was so fantastic then it shouldn’t be too difficult for a half decent manager to make us competitive, should it? Not only that, when a new manger does eventually come in, then surely that is a good time as any for the owners to back him accordingly. Let him have his team. Give him every opportunity to succeed. Do you think that’ll happen? See you in here in a few years time to discuss it pal.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #27118: Feb 28, 2021 02:40:41 pm

Yes you’re quite right we got reported for a legal approach. But so what?

We got F***ing caught, that's the so what, it added about ÂŁ25 million onto the fee!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #27119: Feb 28, 2021 02:53:19 pm
      Don’t even know why I’m replying.

Yes you’re quite right we got reported for a legal approach. But so what? Do you think we’re the only club to have approached a player?  If that was barca or madrid coming in for one of our lads for example, and we threatened to snitch on them, do you think they’d care? Are you really that naive?

So what if Madrid and Barce don’t care about illegals approaches - do we as a club want to act within the same poor morals - if someone did that Mane or Salah we would sit there and point fingers at that expecting our club to act better

And we didn’t care either. Which is exactly why we went back in for him a few months later even though Southampton could have still reported us and complained to the FA. You say that I only use opinions and that you use facts but you’ve just completely made up that we spent an extra 20m on virgil as part of a punishment for our illegal approach. Where is your proof for that because that’s the first I’ve ever heard of it?

We paid 75m for virgil because saints knew we had a big pot of money from losing coutinho. The same way we spunked 35 on carroll because newcastle knew we had a big pot of money from losing torres. As always in football, money talks. Nobody gives a sh*t about morals.

You may not give a sh*t about morals within the sport but I certainly do and expect the to be above that - we paid over the odds for VVD because of our actions in the summer and wanting the get the deal done quickly

I’ll say it once more. You know as well as I do that we wouldn’t have spent that amount of money on virgil or Ali if it wasn’t for coutinho going. I think 99.9% of reds would agree on that. You suggesting otherwise makes you look a bit of a tit. You can hide behind ‘NobOdY kNoWs FoR SuRE’ but you know, I know, everybody else knows it wouldn’t have happened. So again, give it a rest.

There is nothing to hide behind - you or anyone has no clue what “would have happened” if Coutinho stayed - it’s all subjective and there is nothing to prove anything - we might have signed Alisson and VVD and not signed Keita or Fabinho or we might not have signed Keita or Shaqiri - it’s all guesswork and at the end of the day irrelevant - players arrived into the club to help us win the CL and League , they were paid for within a self sufficent budget

I don’t have to go through the accounts with a fine tooth comb. We finished fourth twice in consecutive seasons, securing champions league football. We reached the final in 18. We won it in 19. We won the league in 20. We won the super cup. The World Cup. We’ve had a huge increase over the past decade or so in tv money to the point stoke city can out spend us. We’ve secured great commercial deals in recent years too. And to top it all off we’re liverpool football club, a huge brand anyway without all of that, and we’ve only gotten bigger and grew more support since Jurgens been here. 

I think what that says to me is you should actually read the accounts and then you will come from a place of factual information as opposed to guesswork based on nothing

Going on about winning the Super cup and World Club cup - how much money do you think the club actually earned from either of those - I think the world club cup was 6mil dollars , the super cup is about 3mil Euros

Whilst the level of Telly money have increased so has the wage bill - we are about 3/4th in terms of wage bill in the Prem and that doesn’t include the huge level of bonuses payments to players - I believe overall it’s around £250-300mil a year total wage bill including bonuses

The CL winning season we won around ÂŁ100mil for the CL

ÂŁ160mil for the Prem winnings

Then add in commercial deals that are depending on shirt sales

We started to make small profits each year to add to transfer budgets and last season we were due to make approx ÂŁ60-80mil but that was reduced due to Covid

But if you bothered to actually read the accounts or even one of the briefs of them you would actually see that we don’t have pots of money waiting around to be spent. But as you can’t be bothered to read them or even research then it’s safe to say you haven’t got a clue about the finances of the club

As for Stoke outspending us - rubbish , the club have spent close to ÂŁ1bn since the owners bought the club and over ÂŁ500mil since Klopp arrived

So without even looking at the accounts, all of the above tells me that money is available. If there isn’t any available because every last penny is spent elsewhere, then they’re putting our club at big risk aren’t they? Because that would obviously mean that we have to keep winning all the top prizes just to keep afloat! Scary! We couldn’t have been much more successful than what we’ve been in the last 2-3 years and you’re suggesting that we have no money! Frightening! Can only dread to think what will happen after a year or two of failure. Next Leeds United in the making?

You don’t appear to understand the workings of the club - the better we do the better players arrive , the more we spend on wages etc - if we start to struggle then the club will need to balance the finances , reduce the wage bill, sell players etc - that’s part and parcel of a club who rely on financial income , it’s also the reason why the club have worked massively to increase the level of commercial income into the club and one of the biggest reasons why the stadium needed to expand to allow the club to open up the level of corperate facilities on a match day plus the extra revenues from tickets - but again if you bother to research you would understand that

You’re clutching at straws to the point you’re hiding behind the pandemic now too. FSGs criticisms have gone on for ten years, the pandemic has nothing to do with it, it just gives the likes of yourself something else to hide behind because moneys tight for everybody right now.

No one is clutching at straws - the pandemic has affected the club and any sane person would be able to understand that , the club is going to lose over ÂŁ100mil this because of the pandemic, money that would be available to the manager to spend on players , even with a drop in finances the club still were active in the transfer market and they expect thah because they have been careful and with shirt sales due to arrive there will be money this summer to spend on players

Look, you clearly think they’re great and I think they’re ok. There are some good things about them and there are some proper sh*te things about them too. Pointless playing tennis and going back and forth with each other. But as I said a week or two ago in here, the day Jürgen Klopp leaves this club will be a very dark one. Again, you’ll hide behind Jürgen being world class, irreplaceable perhaps, but if the FSG model was so fantastic then it shouldn’t be too difficult for a half decent manager to make us competitive, should it? Not only that, when a new manger does eventually come in, then surely that is a good time as any for the owners to back him accordingly. Let him have his team. Give him every opportunity to succeed. Do you think that’ll happen? See you in here in a few years time to discuss it pal.

I think the owners arrived at the club looking to improve the club on and off the field - and they have done thah with the help of a lot of people , they have made mistakes and they have tried to learn from that. I look at the club now and seen how massively improved we are than any stage over the last 30 years since the Premier League started - the work we have done over the past 10 years is what the Mancs did 30 years ago and we as a club are continuing to play catch up

When Klopp does leave then I would expect them to recruit a suitable replacement and be in a far better place than when he took over - the club won’t fall apart when Klopp leaves and I have no doubt that Klopp will also play a part in who takes over from him , and when that happens the club will have the commercial backing to be able to provide the manager with funds

There are three models of running a club

1. Backed by a billionaire who is willing to provide his own funds to boost a club - FFP rules are reducing the effect of them

2. A club held up by leveraged loans and debt - again FFP rules are reducing thah

3. A club self sufficent- the model that will work within FFP , for that model to work means smart buying , an improved commercial income and for FFP to be upheld

If the club continue on its current trend then our commercial income is going to start providing profits of over £150mil each season which goes into coffers to be spent - that’s the sort of income Man Utd have been able to reach and that’s what we are working towards

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #27120: Feb 28, 2021 04:02:12 pm
      The problem is... we all want a fantasy owner who’d pour in billions and billions of dollars to build an invincible ballon d’or and galacticos line-up.

But in reality, we are seeing our owners spending on ground expansion. And therefore they’re far from being fantasy owners and the fans’ opinion of them isn’t going very well...
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #27121: Feb 28, 2021 06:03:52 pm
      We got f**king caught, that's the so what, it added about ÂŁ25 million onto the fee!

So we get caught. Southampton are fuming and they tell us it’s going to cost an extra £25m to sign VVD.

So why didn’t FSG just pay it there and then? Why wait for a couple of months until coutinho went because according to some, coutinho leaving was completely irrelevant to us signing VVD?

Do you think southampton had forgotten all about it in the space of a few months or something?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #27122: Feb 28, 2021 06:04:24 pm
      The problem is... we all want a fantasy owner who’d pour in billions and billions of dollars to build an invincible ballon d’or and galacticos line-up.

But in reality, we are seeing our owners spending on ground expansion. And therefore they’re far from being fantasy owners and the fans’ opinion of them isn’t going very well...

It’s funny - I think a lot do want Billionaire owners to just spend their own money but the same people prob didn’t like both City and Chelsea doing it with calls of “bought the league”.

Right now we as a club rely on FFP rules behind upheld - there is a some pause on break even rules so what clubs do this summer could be interesting
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #27123: Feb 28, 2021 06:07:03 pm
      So we get caught. Southampton are fuming and they tell us it’s going to cost an extra £25m to sign VVD.

So why didn’t FSG just pay it there and then? Why wait for a couple of months until coutinho went because according to some, coutinho leaving was completely irrelevant to us signing VVD?

Do you think southampton had forgotten all about it in the space of a few months or something?
      Because the club agreed to walk away from any interest to stop Southampton going through with the report to the FA - we could have been banned from signing players.

We didn’t even make a bid to Soton - we spoke to the player first - we had to walk away then and Soton stopped the report. VVD then over the next couple of months made it clear he wanted to move and was going to down tools so Soton then had to sell
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #27124: Feb 28, 2021 06:34:34 pm
      Because the club agreed to walk away from any interest to stop Southampton going through with the report to the FA - we could have been banned from signing players.

We didn’t even make a bid to Soton - we spoke to the player first - we had to walk away then and Soton stopped the report. VVD then over the next couple of months made it clear he wanted to move and was going to down tools so Soton then had to sell

I know pal. Klopp went and met him.

Are you actually going to pretend you’re seriously that naive just to try and prove a point and support your strange agenda?

So what you’re saying is Southampton told us to F**k off or they’ll report us. So we said ok ok sorry sorry. But virgils head was turned so we go back literally a few weeks later and offer a bit more money and all is forgotten by Southampton and we’re best mates?   :lmao:

We sold coutinho and used the money to sign virgil. Wasn't happening otherwise.

Anyway, time to watch the reds, cya later.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #27125: Feb 28, 2021 06:43:10 pm
      I know pal. Klopp went and met him.

Are you actually going to pretend you’re seriously that naive just to try and prove a point and support your strange agenda?

So what you’re saying is Southampton told us to f**k off or they’ll report us. So we said ok ok sorry sorry. But virgils head was turned so we go back literally a few weeks later and offer a bit more money and all is forgotten by Southampton and we’re best mates?   :lmao:

We sold coutinho and used the money to sign virgil. Wasn't happening otherwise.

Anyway, time to watch the reds, cya later.

That’s exactly what happened - we walked away and stopped interest to ensure that we weren’t reported . We could have easily ended up with a transfer ban

We also went back 3 months later cap in hand to them properly and said we want to buy him how much - simple
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #27126: Feb 28, 2021 07:15:20 pm
      :lmao: :mad: who said I dont support the team and Klopp, the mans a legend, the squad has been brilliant. Its a team effort from owners to staff to manager to players to fans.  Its you negative clowns who are laughable, constantly looking for things thats gone wrong, or might go wrong, determined that FSG are some evil corporate entity out of some movie. I actually think ejits like you are happy weve had a sh1t season and have had injuries just to prove a point. I honestly think some folk would be happy for us to mental next season spending a billion squid on players just for the club to bust and into administration.

Anyway pal. YNWA  ;)

1.I'm not your pal
      2.if you think i'm happy because we have had a sh*t season then your a tit!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #27127: Mar 01, 2021 09:42:28 am
      You’re dreaming lad!!
      Why didn’t we build on our success last season after our unbelievable luck with injuries, that failure in not acquiring quality back up is wholly to blame for our predicament this season.

Irrespective of Klopp’s loyalty he must have been aware of the situation and had reservations with the team’s strength in depth.

The need for quality back up is now a major issue but like all problems if not addressed initially the implications are disastrously multiplied.

Unless we sell an outstanding player the situation looks bleak for quality signings anytime soon.

But we did, I would argue Jota and Thiago are top quality signings and building on success. And we only released Brewster and Lovren, non-entities really.

I'm not sure we needed any other big signings because pretty much every position was well stocked. Up front and midfield were my only concerns for back up and competition, and arrivals of Jota and Thiago addressed that.

The only criticism I would have is that for a while we didn't have a like-for-like backup / understudy for Fab as a defensive midfielder, and that's hurt us. Other than that, squad had good depth. The sheer number and seriousness of injuries to 6 or 7 first teamers at same time is unprecedented.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #27128: Mar 01, 2021 11:37:20 am
      But we did, I would argue Jota and Thiago are top quality signings and building on success. And we only released Brewster and Lovren, non-entities really.

I'm not sure we needed any other big signings because pretty much every position was well stocked. Up front and midfield were my only concerns for back up and competition, and arrivals of Jota and Thiago addressed that.

The only criticism I would have is that for a while we didn't have a like-for-like backup / understudy for Fab as a defensive midfielder, and that's hurt us. Other than that, squad had good depth. The sheer number and seriousness of injuries to 6 or 7 first teamers at same time is unprecedented.

And not mention that when they joined, they created a “selection headache” for Klopp with so much resources in midfield and upfront. It’s hardly taking a step back with such a move. We were strengthening our pressing with Jota and our command in the middle with Thiago. That meant we could cope with the resources at the back. But who would’ve known that the bloody Pickford...

Those who knew what Pickford would do before he did, please raise your hand. I’ll be approaching you for advice on the winning numbers for the next lotto draw.

In hindsight, I’ll now pass a judgement on the owners and management team that they were naive not to reinforce at the back. It’s all because of where we are now and I choose to ignore all other circumstances. Judgement passed on those running the club. We have incompetent owners and staff. Judgement for all.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #27129: Mar 01, 2021 02:18:09 pm

I'd say that would be Hendo, particularly since we had so many midfielders coming into the season we could not have possibly added another one.

Hendo, Fab, Thiago, Gini, Milner, Keita, Ox, Jones is very rich for an area where we only field 3 players in a game, and of those 3, one is your captain and another is an ironman who never gets hurt.
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2021 02:31:03 pm by CT_LFC »
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #27130: Mar 01, 2021 02:20:33 pm
      And not mention that when they joined, they created a “selection headache” for Klopp with so much resources in midfield and upfront. It’s hardly taking a step back with such a move. We were strengthening our pressing with Jota and our command in the middle with Thiago. That meant we could cope with the resources at the back. But who would’ve known that the bloody Pickford...

Those who knew what Pickford would do before he did, please raise your hand. I’ll be approaching you for advice on the winning numbers for the next lotto draw.

In hindsight, I’ll now pass a judgement on the owners and management team that they were naive not to reinforce at the back. It’s all because of where we are now and I choose to ignore all other circumstances. Judgement passed on those running the club. We have incompetent owners and staff. Judgement for all.

Correct, no one can predict that shithouse of a tackle so you go into the season expecting Virgil to play as close as 38 games as possible since the guy is rarely hurt. You have that, then couple weeks later Gomez gets done for the season in training at internationals? how the F does that happen. That one i have a hard time getting my head around.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #27131: Mar 01, 2021 04:04:58 pm
      Correct, no one can predict that shithouse of a tackle so you go into the season expecting Virgil to play as close as 38 games as possible since the guy is rarely hurt. You have that, then couple weeks later Gomez gets done for the season in training at internationals? how the F does that happen. That one i have a hard time getting my head around.

Has Gomez had a season that he wasn't injured for a significant amount of games? Matip?

So basically a lot of us were worried that Virgil would be the only fit CB that could be counted on and had Virgil been healthy this season, I still think it would have been a mistake to not have replaced Lovren.
      Jurgenabelieveus
      • Banned

• 48 posts | 11 
      Reply #27132: Mar 01, 2021 04:09:07 pm
      Has Gomez had a season that he wasn't injured for a significant amount of games? Matip?

In the 3 seasons before this one Gomez had played about 100 games so he’s not as injury prone as some would believe

Virgil had played 122 in that same period for comparison
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #27133: Mar 01, 2021 04:46:56 pm

So basically a lot of us were worried that Virgil would be the only fit CB that could be counted on and had Virgil been healthy this season, I still think it would have been a mistake to not have replaced Lovren.

Gomez went 18 months without significant injury - 40 plus games last season , before that was his broken leg in December 18

Matips first three season were 30 plus games a season - last season was his first big interrupted season
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #27134: Mar 01, 2021 05:04:03 pm

Gomez and Matip get injured in very different ways. Joel there is no secret, he will pick up all kinds of injuries throughout a season but those can be somewhat mitigated by he being 3rd choice and not playing as much as Joe and Virgil were expected to.

Gomez does not get those type of injuries Joel does, and when he goes down it is usually going down hard for extended period of times with injuries you cannot predict. Going into the season no one could have said "Joe is going to injure his patella during training and miss the season", nor could have anyone predicted when he had ankle surgery, or achilles tendon problems or injured his cruciate ligament, the last one which i believe was on another shitty tackle.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #27135: Mar 01, 2021 05:21:10 pm

A loan to the club by the owners paid for any building work, bricks and mortar doesn’t win trophies.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #27136: Mar 01, 2021 05:27:47 pm
      A loan to the club by the owners paid for any building work, bricks and mortar doesn’t win trophies.

The bricks and mortar allow the stadium to be enhanced to allow extra income to be earned by the club - extra income that then allows the manager to purchase players

It’s called the self sufficent method

Man Utd built up Old Trafford to increase their matchday income to allow them to spend money when required - we are just the 25 years behind them
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #27137: Mar 01, 2021 06:47:11 pm
      Gomez and Matip get injured in very different ways. Joel there is no secret, he will pick up all kinds of injuries throughout a season but those can be somewhat mitigated by he being 3rd choice and not playing as much as Joe and Virgil were expected to.

Gomez does not get those type of injuries Joel does, and when he goes down it is usually going down hard for extended period of times with injuries you cannot predict. Going into the season no one could have said "Joe is going to injure his patella during training and miss the season", nor could have anyone predicted when he had ankle surgery, or achilles tendon problems or injured his cruciate ligament, the last one which i believe was on another shitty tackle.

It doesn't matter what the injury was, the point is, it wasn't really a surprise that Gomez went down with a serious injury because he hasn't made it through a full year yet (I don't believe) without having some sort of sustained time out.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #27138: Mar 01, 2021 07:12:21 pm
      It doesn't matter what the injury was, the point is, it wasn't really a surprise that Gomez went down with a serious injury because he hasn't made it through a full year yet (I don't believe) without having some sort of sustained time out.

Gomez went 18 months without injury- April 2019 to October 2020

Also from Nov 2016 to March 2018
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 734 posts | 113 
      Reply #27139: Mar 01, 2021 07:20:09 pm

So what if Madrid and Barce don’t care about illegals approaches - do we as a club want to act within the same poor morals - if someone did that Mane or Salah we would sit there and point fingers at that expecting our club to act better

You may not give a sh*t about morals within the sport but I certainly do and expect the to be above that - we paid over the odds for VVD because of our actions in the summer and wanting the get the deal done quickly

There is nothing to hide behind - you or anyone has no clue what “would have happened” if Coutinho stayed - it’s all subjective and there is nothing to prove anything - we might have signed Alisson and VVD and not signed Keita or Fabinho or we might not have signed Keita or Shaqiri - it’s all guesswork and at the end of the day irrelevant - players arrived into the club to help us win the CL and League , they were paid for within a self sufficent budget

I think what that says to me is you should actually read the accounts and then you will come from a place of factual information as opposed to guesswork based on nothing

Going on about winning the Super cup and World Club cup - how much money do you think the club actually earned from either of those - I think the world club cup was 6mil dollars , the super cup is about 3mil Euros

Whilst the level of Telly money have increased so has the wage bill - we are about 3/4th in terms of wage bill in the Prem and that doesn’t include the huge level of bonuses payments to players - I believe overall it’s around £250-300mil a year total wage bill including bonuses

The CL winning season we won around ÂŁ100mil for the CL

ÂŁ160mil for the Prem winnings

Then add in commercial deals that are depending on shirt sales

We started to make small profits each year to add to transfer budgets and last season we were due to make approx ÂŁ60-80mil but that was reduced due to Covid

But if you bothered to actually read the accounts or even one of the briefs of them you would actually see that we don’t have pots of money waiting around to be spent. But as you can’t be bothered to read them or even research then it’s safe to say you haven’t got a clue about the finances of the club

As for Stoke outspending us - rubbish , the club have spent close to ÂŁ1bn since the owners bought the club and over ÂŁ500mil since Klopp arrived

You don’t appear to understand the workings of the club - the better we do the better players arrive , the more we spend on wages etc - if we start to struggle then the club will need to balance the finances , reduce the wage bill, sell players etc - that’s part and parcel of a club who rely on financial income , it’s also the reason why the club have worked massively to increase the level of commercial income into the club and one of the biggest reasons why the stadium needed to expand to allow the club to open up the level of corperate facilities on a match day plus the extra revenues from tickets - but again if you bother to research you would understand that

No one is clutching at straws - the pandemic has affected the club and any sane person would be able to understand that , the club is going to lose over ÂŁ100mil this because of the pandemic, money that would be available to the manager to spend on players , even with a drop in finances the club still were active in the transfer market and they expect thah because they have been careful and with shirt sales due to arrive there will be money this summer to spend on players

I think the owners arrived at the club looking to improve the club on and off the field - and they have done thah with the help of a lot of people , they have made mistakes and they have tried to learn from that. I look at the club now and seen how massively improved we are than any stage over the last 30 years since the Premier League started - the work we have done over the past 10 years is what the Mancs did 30 years ago and we as a club are continuing to play catch up

When Klopp does leave then I would expect them to recruit a suitable replacement and be in a far better place than when he took over - the club won’t fall apart when Klopp leaves and I have no doubt that Klopp will also play a part in who takes over from him , and when that happens the club will have the commercial backing to be able to provide the manager with funds

There are three models of running a club

1. Backed by a billionaire who is willing to provide his own funds to boost a club - FFP rules are reducing the effect of them

2. A club held up by leveraged loans and debt - again FFP rules are reducing thah

3. A club self sufficent- the model that will work within FFP , for that model to work means smart buying , an improved commercial income and for FFP to be upheld

If the club continue on its current trend then our commercial income is going to start providing profits of over £150mil each season which goes into coffers to be spent - that’s the sort of income Man Utd have been able to reach and that’s what we are working towards

I agree with you about the wages. All too often on here you read people quoting transfer fees ... the wages are the real killer - we have increased our spending on wages quite significantly to the point where it is much harder for the likes of Real Madrid etc to emulate Suarez, Torres, Sterling, Coutinho ... the investment in the stadium and the training facilities is also huge. And the pandemic is having a huge impact on clubs income - match day revenue is not as big as TV money but it’s still a lot

Ultimately FSG and Klopp are two branches on the same tree and personally I think they complement each other really well ... I do personally think we have got the best manager and the best owners in the league - I really cannot think of any other owners who come close to ours because they are investing in the long term future of the club: we will benefit from the stadium and training investment for decades to come, long after FSG have moved on. But the owners and Klopp are part of the same team - they are both part of LFC for very different but equally important reasons and both are doing what they need to do really well

Quick Reply