Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2760724 times
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #2829: Mar 16, 2012 10:58:44 pm
      I think they want a naming partner deal that will cover 40-50% of the stadium cost, pretty average over here and I think that is something similar to what the gunners did.
      I have always presumed that we would get the money together, start building, then find a naming partner, I am pretty sure that is what most other teams have done over here.

Would be very interested if it was done the other way round in the states. IE you get a naming partner then you start building
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2830: Mar 16, 2012 11:04:58 pm
      I have always presumed that we would get the money together, start building, then find a naming partner, I am pretty sure that is what most other teams have done over here.

Would be very interested if it was done the other way round in the states. IE you get a naming partner then you start building

I honestly don't know, just what I thought.. But didn't Arsenal have the Emirates deal secured pre building? Plus what they were forecasted to make on the selling of the flats at the old Highbury site? ( Something we won't be able to rely on of course)
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2831: Mar 16, 2012 11:05:58 pm
      A lot of stadiums here in the states are funded with public money as well as private money. I can't recall many deals being contingent on naming rights from the get go, but I know the potential stadium in Los Angeles has a corporate sponsor already but no location or team :P
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2832: Mar 16, 2012 11:08:36 pm
      I honestly don't know, just what I thought.. But didn't Arsenal have the Emirates deal secured pre building? Plus what they were forecasted to make on the selling of the flats at the old Highbury site? ( Something we won't be able to rely on of course)
      Arsenal started building then sold the naming rights
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2833: Mar 16, 2012 11:11:02 pm
      Arsenal started building then sold the naming rights

Fair enough, like I say I wasn't sure, just thought I thought I'd heard that they factored in that money on the cost before they built.. Maybe it was an estimate that they knew in a ball park figure what to expect when they did sell the rights.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2834: Mar 16, 2012 11:15:08 pm
      Fair enough, like I say I wasn't sure, just thought I thought I'd heard that they factored in that money on the cost before they built.. Maybe it was an estimate that they knew in a ball park figure what to expect when they did sell the rights.

They factored in the sale of the properties being built on Highbury though & got hit when the prices crashed.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2835: Mar 16, 2012 11:20:53 pm
      They factored in the sale of the properties being built on Highbury though & got hit when the prices crashed.

Yes true but a calculated gamble I would think. I also remember hearing they didn't sell them as quickly as they thought they would.. Longer to get the money in and therefore interest payments didn't reduce as quickly as anticipated.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2836: Mar 16, 2012 11:29:59 pm

Actually that is exactly what many do is have the a signed contract with a naming partner and then build...best example would be right down the road from Boston where the Patriots had Gillette as naming partner the day the spade went in to the ground. Might be different in your neck of the woods so I can't speak to that.

Not saying that they would need to cash to begin construction but a signed contract by a naming partner would seem prudent business to me.
      « Last Edit: Mar 16, 2012 11:42:31 pm by AZPatriot »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2837: Mar 16, 2012 11:36:30 pm
      I can see the Qatari's having a sniff on the naming rights to help them with their world cup campaign.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2838: Mar 16, 2012 11:44:13 pm
      I did read on another site a few days ago that an anouncement was to be made on the 23rd of this month.

I have it on good authority that a major announcement is to be made the weekend of 23rd of March. All the bigwigs are coming over. I think It's about the new stadium

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/liverpool-fc-forum/fsg-major-announcement-weekend-23rd-march-t29592.html

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2839: Mar 17, 2012 08:41:54 am
      The quote you used was in response to Soxfan saying we could attract players with a bit of slick marketing, I was saying players could be fooled but there agents would not. I was saying it is the agents who only care about money

Oh I see, no problem mate. I'd taken it in context with your quotes regarding Young and Jones and maybe that's where my confusion lay.

I see now that we agree that there are many factors which lead a player to sign for a particular team; for some it may be 'glory', others it may be 'money', playing time or future ambition of the Club. I can see, if all things are equal, that Champions League football may just be the swaying factor. I guess tho', when push comes to shove, it's down to the individual. To that end F.S.G. really can't do much more than back Kenny financially which, let's face it, they have done.

I believe what's happening here and the buzz around the Club will aid in the quest to attract a higher calibre of player but only time will tell.

I fully accept and agree with the rest of your post mate but I would urge you to have patience. I don't know why but I have a good feeling about F.S.G. and I'm sure that they'll deliver on the stadium.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2840: Mar 17, 2012 10:44:26 am
      Come the Summer window, however, when there's more players to choose from and they tend to be cheaper; F.S.G. will surely dig that little bit deeper. Kenny will have had the benefit of a full season to assess the situation and strengthen where needed without rushing in. To my mind (with increased sponsorship revenue, wages 'saved' & money left over from sales) we can comfortably afford to spend circa £60m plus money from any player sales.

I don't mind sticking my neck out here but irrespective of any noises indicating a quiet window: I believe we will see two, maybe three, quality signings amongst others.

That happens and missing out [Champions League], this season, is no big loss. It doesn't and although it will never be "the end of the World"; it will leave us sorely disadvantaged and playing catch up for longer than we need.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago to highlight the position F.S.G. find themselves in regarding spend to achieve C.L. qualification. I stand over it.

If we develop this debate further, based on what we've discussed of late: I can't buy into the simplistic view that the Champions league conundrum can only be solved by throwing big money into transfers. And does spending £100m plus to 'win' twenty really help us long term? Let's look at what appears to be the general consensus of opinion.

It is a fact that (much as some would like it not to be) we are not owned by anyone who can wantonly spend three, four or five hundred million on new players. We all know that. We should all accept that.

The fact has never been hidden that we are not owned by anyone who are in the position to spend four or five hundred million on a new stadium. We should  all be savvy enough accept that too.

That being said and accepted then we can see that if big money is to be spent it has to be prioritised.

The money we spend on transfers (as many have rightly pointed out) is not relative to success  - You pays your money, you takes your chances. Spend £150m and you may or may not get your money's worth. Will it take a massive transfer spend, this Summer, for this Club to progress? Not necessarily.

The right players for the right price does not equate to a massive spend.

The money spent on a new stadium, however, is relative and is set - You get what you pay for. Spend £500m and you get £500m worth of a stadium. Will it take a massive spend to buy a new stadium? Yes.

So what to do then?

Do we (F.S.G.) throw big money at transfers in the hope of instant 'glory' to appease those who demand just that or build just that bit slower and spend wisely in the knowledge that long term we will produce sustainable success?

Two bulls in a field...Young Bull: "Dad why don't we run down to that field and F**k us one of them cows?" Daddy Bull: "Let's just walk down to that field son and F**k us all of them cows."  ;)

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2012 11:46:16 am by bad boy bubby »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #2841: Mar 20, 2012 12:42:50 am
      The most expensive stadium over here in the states (Cowboys Stadium), was built with partial public funding, partial private funding (Jerry Jones deep pockets) and NO sponsorship in place. In fact Jerry is still looking for someone to buy the naming rights and currently there have been no takers, although he isn't willing to use just any sponsor...it has to be something that doesn't "hurt" the image of the Dallas Cowboys.

Not sure if that gives any insight into the American owners but I would think with the state of the economy, FSG may be a bit gun shy of fronting a majority of the cost without a sponsor?

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2842: Mar 21, 2012 05:47:42 pm
      Just listening to Ayre on Sky Sports News, dodged the stadium issue and didnt fill me hope about signing any top players in the Summer.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2843: Mar 21, 2012 09:54:21 pm
      BUMP.

Get your F***ing chequebooks out, thanks.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2844: Mar 21, 2012 09:56:20 pm
      Ya either they get their cheque books out this Summer or they might as well sell up
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2845: Mar 21, 2012 10:03:02 pm
      Ya either they get their cheque books out this Summer or they might as well sell up

If only it was that simple, alas it is not.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2846: Mar 21, 2012 10:03:56 pm
      If only it was that simple, alas it is not.

It really is mate, if there not willing to spend you can forget about catching up
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2847: Mar 21, 2012 10:18:56 pm
      It really is mate, if there not willing to spend you can forget about catching up

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #2848: Mar 21, 2012 10:32:12 pm
      Hmm going by the big money signings Kenny has made in the past , I would think the new owners would be apprehensive of giving him too much of their own money to spend this time round.  :-\

Although it is sorely needed. 
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2849: Mar 21, 2012 10:35:40 pm
      Hmm going by the big money signings Kenny has made in the past , I would think the new owners would be apprehensive of giving him too much of their own money to spend this time round.  :-\

Although it is sorely needed. 

Don't think a big spend is needed personally.  Just need the right players and replace a couple that need moving on or down the pecking order.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #2850: Mar 21, 2012 10:39:45 pm
      Don't think a big spend is needed personally.  Just need the right players and replace a couple that need moving on or down the peking order.

A few of them would be better off doing the peking orders down the chinese takeaway than playing football. ;)

The problem is, the ones that need moving on or benched are the ones Kenny has brought in.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2851: Mar 21, 2012 11:32:54 pm
      We need to spend big money the players we need will not be cheap. That is obviously assuming Fsg want us competing for titles.

Quick Reply