Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Man City [Premier League] Sun 3rd Oct @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W20 D4 L7

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 1790682 times
      Borg
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts | 66 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #29200: Sep 08, 2021 11:27:48 am
      I haven't really posted in this thread much over the years, as FSG have been doing OK, managing their investment prudently [make no mistake, that's what it is to them, and when the time is right, they'll sell it for a handsome profit], and allowing one of the best managers in the world [maybe *the* best] to do his job - but a few things have pissed me off recently:
      Make no mistake, FSG has zero history shedding assets for profit.
      LFC is a core FSG holding that will bear fruit for this organization for a long long time.
      Sure, FSG treats LFC like a business, because it is a business.....an incredibly solvent business these days thanks to FSG and no doubt the envy of many football board rooms across the world.

- the Super League - of course they weren't the only owners involved - but that doesn't make it OK - they've lost trust, respect and credit as a result, and combined with the recent lack of investment, now just seem out of touch, hiding gutless and cashless behind Jürgen's skirts
      I still don't understand why fans wouldn't want their team to substitute meaningless cups vs 2nd and 3rd division hamlets in order to play the best teams in the world regularly...but to each his own

- Jürgen has *no money to spend* on squad improvement this summer - NONE - not true? well, if it's not true, then you believe that an excellent manager challenging on multiple fronts [PL, CL, etc] against other teams that have strengthened simply *chooses* not to freshen up his squad.  So believe what you will there.  And Konate coming in was balanced financially by a fair number of players leaving - I think more money came in from outgoing players that was spent on incoming players
      Who do you want to replace?
      Which elite players want to come to LFC to be substitutes?
      How much revenue was lost due to Covid?

- we've lost a regular first XI player and not added a first XI player - and that's even though many of our first XI players have been first XI players for years now, and the physical effort is starting to take its toll, injuries are cropping up more, some players don't look quiet as sharp as they did - oh, and a particular bugbear, Thiago a replacement for Gini a year early - please ...
      Seems to me Gini has been replaced and that young replacement has arguably been the best LFC player on the pitch for chunks of games.
      Regarding Thiago, I have been puzzled by his lack of playing time (injury?). I do know when Fabs returned to midfield last spring, we finally got to see Thiago in the role he was brought in for....and the offense clicked and the wins came in bunches.

- all this contract publicity, pissing down our backs and telling us it's raining, making it sound like something amazing is happening - rather than doing what every other major club does without much fanfare - just to distract from the lack of transfers - and it's worked to some extent, as some people are repeating the line like its some kind of miraculous event
      Locking up some of the league/world's best players long term should be celebrated.
      Losing stars can be calamitous (refer to the bigs in Spain & Italy)

Have said it before, have no axe to grind with FSG - they're just money men, like any other money men - but they don't understand the club or care about it the way lifelong fans do - I look at whether Jürgen is being given the tools to do his job - and Jürgen has proven he doesn't need ridiculous sums - just enough to make clinical buys - but he's been left hanging this summer.
      Don't think it's rocket science to say that if you don't invest in something, it won't continue to grow and prosper. And, right now, FSG are coming up well short.
      Investment comes in many forms.
      Increasing seating capacity at Anfield will strengthen the club by multiples for decades
      Long term commitments of core players are being secured weekly....unlike a half decade ago when stars clawed their way out of town.
      These days players reup with almost no drama.
      Again, who do you want replaced?

I really hope we can challenge this season. Though I don't see us as favorites over the long haul. Hope am wrong though, and Jürgen and the lads can recreate some of the magic of 19/20. Would be absolutely amazing to do it again, but this time with the fans in there beside them :)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,339 posts | 1119 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29201: Sep 08, 2021 04:23:07 pm

Make no mistake, FSG has zero history shedding assets for profit.

- they won't hold on forever, and will sell when it suits them and nobody else, for financial reasons

Re the super league

- regardless of what we'd have been leaving behind/going to  -  the point is these poxy money men did all this for months behind everyones backs, told nobody, then presented it as a fait accompli
      - see here plebs, whot whot, this is how we, who haven't a bogs notion about football want it to work in future - you'll love it - and we'll get dumper trucks of cash
      - why supporters still seem so loyal to people who can do that to them, is a mystery to me
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,285 posts | 1196 
      Reply #29202: Sep 09, 2021 08:14:54 am
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,382 posts | 3267 
      Reply #29203: Sep 11, 2021 09:25:52 am
      I don't follow any of these lunatics but this made me chuckle.

https://twitter.com/AlucardKing3/status/1436432949805785110?s=19

The Mayor ;D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,794 posts | 2727 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #29204: Sep 11, 2021 12:12:05 pm

Corbs has blocked me on Twitter now. Oh well
      Salah10
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 68 
      Reply #29205: Sep 15, 2021 10:11:19 pm
      What's peoples thoughts on how short they've left us in the attacking positions?

We've had a couple of injuries and look where we've ended up. We've had to play Ox as cf. Yes we won, but Leeds were sh*t and Milan was a very close call tonight. He was forced to play Origi and he done f**k all once again. Try that sh*t against a decent team and we get beat.

In peoples defence of FSG they stated Harvey could play upfront. That's no longer an option for the forseeable future.

This is a question for those who wish to discuss these concerns like adults not for some of the dickheads on here who will come along, veins busting out their necks, giving it "you f*****g c**t b*****d piece of s**t" because someone dares to discuss a concern of theirs.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,285 posts | 1196 
      Reply #29206: Sep 15, 2021 11:34:46 pm
      What's peoples thoughts on how short they've left us in the attacking positions?

We've had a couple of injuries and look where we've ended up. We've had to play Ox as cf. Yes we won, but Leeds were sh*t and Milan was a very close call tonight. He was forced to play Origi and he done f**k all once again. Try that sh*t against a decent team and we get beat.

In peoples defence of FSG they stated Harvey could play upfront. That's no longer an option for the forseeable future.

This is a question for those who wish to discuss these concerns like adults not for some of the dickheads on here who will come along, veins busting out their necks, giving it "you f*****g c**t b*****d piece of s**t" because someone dares to discuss a concern of theirs.

https://twitter.com/empireofthekop/status/844919344677179397?s=21
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 26,979 posts | 4095 
      Reply #29207: Sep 17, 2021 02:26:30 pm
      Salah10
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 68 
      Reply #29208: Sep 17, 2021 03:01:26 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,385 posts | 5675 
      Reply #29209: Sep 17, 2021 03:11:28 pm

He should just stick to commenting on the wrestling!!

If only he knew, the council would bend over and open their own cheeks wide for FSG.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,385 posts | 5675 
      Reply #29210: Sep 17, 2021 03:17:48 pm

The question should really be for match-goers in all honesty lad. We did used to have a saying way back when "Don't go, don't blow"

So you carry on discussing the concerns like that adult you are, I'll carry on supporting the club with my Scouse f**king veins bursting out my neck.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,285 posts | 1196 
      Reply #29211: Sep 17, 2021 03:28:17 pm

Suspect he knows f**k all and trying to play media games for his old club
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,385 posts | 5675 
      Reply #29212: Sep 17, 2021 03:36:16 pm
      Suspect he knows f**k all and trying to play media games for his old club

It's all for the benefit of Bayern. Probably trying to tap Haaland up to replace Lewandowski
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,437 posts | 1246 
      Reply #29213: Sep 17, 2021 04:20:53 pm
      I don’t get the anti owner debate being honest. I said I was against them after the Super League sh*te but all clubs would have done that thinking logically.

We have had our most successful period since the 80’s under them and look well set to challenge for more honours in an era that is more difficult than ever.

I wish they would open their chequebook more and got us another attacker and midfielder in the summer and I do think we operate under a sell to buy policy to a degree, but to be frank, it’s brought us the league after 30 years and the Champions League.

I fancy us for the title or CL this season and expect us to go deep in the competitions provided we don’t suffer the injuries we did last season.

Last season was a freak in terms of injuries and anyone who deny’s that is not worth debating with. Just think people are far too entrenched in their views by this stage to admit otherwise.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,261 posts | 897 
      Reply #29214: Sep 17, 2021 04:56:11 pm
      It's all for the benefit of Bayern. Probably trying to tap Haaland up to replace Lewandowski

Considering the history of Bayern taking Dortmund's best players, sounds about right.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,261 posts | 897 
      Reply #29215: Sep 17, 2021 05:09:50 pm
      I don’t get the anti owner debate being honest. I said I was against them after the Super League sh*te but all clubs would have done that thinking logically.

We have had our most successful period since the 80’s under them and look well set to challenge for more honours in an era that is more difficult than ever.

I wish they would open their chequebook more and got us another attacker and midfielder in the summer and I do think we operate under a sell to buy policy to a degree, but to be frank, it’s brought us the league after 30 years and the Champions League.

I fancy us for the title or CL this season and expect us to go deep in the competitions provided we don’t suffer the injuries we did last season.

Last season was a freak in terms of injuries and anyone who deny’s that is not worth debating with. Just think people are far too entrenched in their views by this stage to admit otherwise.

That's because some people see net spend as the only measure of future success, when in reality net spend as an indicator of anything is hugely flawed. If the netspenders want to have their little circle jerk in this thread that is fine as long as they let the other threads free of that garbage and conversations can be had.

Speaking of Bayern, only twice in the past 10 years (maybe more) have they paid more than 40M for any player (Sane/Hernandez) and even got one of the best strikers of his generation (Lewa) for free.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,561 posts | 3543 
      Reply #29216: Sep 17, 2021 05:12:38 pm

Last season was unlucky with injuries but if the owner had got their hands in their pockets for quality stand ins while the sell to buy option was not available, that could have saved the season.

Our title winning season was due in no small part to an amazing lack of injuries, the owners rode their luck and it paid off - LFC should not have to gamble with success.
      RedWilly

• 8,437 posts | 1246 
      Reply #29217: Sep 17, 2021 05:17:46 pm
      Last season was unlucky with injuries but if the owner had got their hands in their pockets for quality stand ins while the sell to buy option was not available, that could have saved the season.

Our title winning season was due in no small part to an amazing lack of injuries, the owners rode their luck and it paid off - LFC should not have to gamble with success.

Mate I believe they should get their hand in their pocket more. But at one point we had VVD, Matip, Gomez, Williams and Phillips out i think. Then we had Hendo and Fab step in and they got injured. You can’t plan for that at all, it’s an insane injury list all focussed on one position.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,285 posts | 1196 
      Reply #29218: Sep 17, 2021 05:43:11 pm
      Mate I believe they should get their hand in their pocket more. But at one point we had VVD, Matip, Gomez, Williams and Phillips out i think. Then we had Hendo and Fab step in and they got injured. You can’t plan for that at all, it’s an insane injury list all focussed on one position.

Unfortunately common sense won’t help in any discussion in regards the owners
      ruthcity

• 5,334 posts | 980 
      Reply #29219: Sep 17, 2021 06:07:59 pm
      We should back up our backups with world class backups regardless of the price.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,339 posts | 1119 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29220: Sep 17, 2021 06:23:02 pm

So I guess you don't see any difference between previous years, and this summer.

Over previous years - yes - we have been strengthening the first team, and the squad. Massive players coming in who made a huge difference and put us in a position to challenge. And all done spending less money than our competitors - with the success that followed down in the main imho to player recruitment decisions, and coaching, by Jürgen and his staff.

*** THIS SUMMER ***
      We signed Konate.
      Gini and Shaq left. Elliot is now injured. Wilson, Grujic and others also left [though not impacting on a challenge, they brought in more money than Konate cost]

I don't care about net spend etc. 
      But that is a net loss in playing staff from last season - that's just a fact and not something to debate, surely. 

Whether we can cope with that, and challenge for silverware, will depend on the players and staff, and a lot of luck with injuries - and DESPITE FSG's lack of investment this summer.
      RedWilly

• 8,437 posts | 1246 
      Reply #29221: Sep 17, 2021 06:25:58 pm
      So I guess you don't see any difference between previous years, and this summer.

Over previous years - yes - we have been strengthening the first team, and the squad. Massive players coming in who made a huge difference and put us in a position to challenge. And all done spending less money than our competitors - with the success that followed down in the main imho to player recruitment decisions, and coaching, by Jürgen and his staff.

*** THIS SUMMER ***
      We signed Konate.
      Gini and Shaq left. Elliot is now injured. Wilson, Grujic and others also left [though not impacting on a challenge, they brought in more money than Konate cost]

I don't care about net spend etc. 
      But that is a net loss in playing staff from last season - that's just a fact and not something to debate, surely. 

Whether we can cope with that, and challenge for silverware, will depend on the players and staff, and a lot of luck with injuries - and DESPITE FSG's lack of investment this summer.

Don’t see how you draw that conclusion given I’ve said I think we should have signed an attacker and a midfielder? Yes I think we are short up too and in the middle, I don’t think Keita or Ox can be relied upon and we shouldn’t be placing out faith in a now injured 18 year old. But I do think our squad is capable of challenging provided we don’t suffer the injuries we had last year.

My point in trying to get at generally speaking is I don’t get the whole FSG OUT vibe that exists given how we have performed to date under their tenure?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,561 posts | 3543 
      Reply #29222: Sep 17, 2021 06:26:11 pm

Fairy muff mate but the FSG faithful refuse to acknowledge that a very viable asset must be fed to take full advantage of its capabilities.

When Klopp calls it a day we are back to average managers getting average results.
      Only his genius can produce occasional success under owners who refuse to back Klopp financially.
      tezmac

• 8,473 posts | 455 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #29223: Sep 17, 2021 06:39:46 pm

And what was our glorious owners answer to the injury crisis... to wait till the end of the January transfer window and buy cheap, luckily we went on a run at the end but could have been a different outcome
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,083 posts | 4817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29224: Sep 17, 2021 06:43:13 pm
      When Klopp calls it a day we are back to average managers getting average results.

Not necessarily, IMO Ljinders would be the man to take over from Klopp. Spent a long time working together, already plays a crucial role in this team.

Anyway, Klopp isn’t going anywhere yet and a lot can happen between now and then so there’s no point saying what situation we may or may not be in once he’s left.

Quick Reply