Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2766866 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #2921: Mar 27, 2012 07:29:18 pm
      When Abromivich came to Chelsea he spent heavily a huge net spend and the same as City at the risk of repeating myself for the 100th time as far back as 1992 we have needed a huge  net spend of approx £100mil(in todays money). We have been buying potential for the last 20 years which is fine but we need players of the calibre of Alonso and Torres at his best each year as well.
      FSG want young English players so they can flog them on which is fine but we need quality in the squad not potential.
      so we will go into next season like the last 20 season short of 4 top quality players now how is that Kenny's fault.
      Aiming for top four for me is just bollocks we should be aiming for the top spot if in doubt take a trip to Anfield and go look into the trophy room its all there before you 2nd best will never be good enough even if it does mean more money and the blood sucking CL.
      FSG should now be aware of the task ahead accept a slow improvement over 5 or 6 years or stump up th ecash now.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2922: Mar 27, 2012 07:42:41 pm
      Not that I give a F**k really but for those who do...

Setting aside the wage bill and manager pay-offs:- over the last two seasons City have a net spend somewhere in the region of £175m and Chelsea in and around £67m. Their return? Well have City won the F.A. Cup and Chelsea the... er... F.A. Cup. Oh and they both qualified for the Champions League (with all the glory and combined £60m 'rewards' which that has brought).

Maybe Roman Abramtherich and Sheik Mytool need to start spending more or start sacking their managers... no wait... strike that last part.  :angel:

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2923: Mar 27, 2012 07:48:41 pm
      Agree walton i think Fsg plan is sound if and its a big if.  If they had invested approx 100 million of their own money initially on player transfer on top of what was spent. They got the club on the cheap and according to forbes the club has already doubled in value. So isn't completely unreasonable to expect them to have invested that sum. If Liverpool are in the champions league every season and competing for titles they are a cash cow and can be self sustainable.  The sponsors would be queueing up and you will have no problemattracting a naming sponsor for the stadium. But Fsg seem unwilling to put in that initial money and why im saying they are trying to do it on the cheap. Mark my words it is not going to happen with out the initial investment.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #2924: Mar 27, 2012 09:25:07 pm
      Well, who knows.  I think they are obviously learning about the sport and seeing how things develop, so they ain't gonna pump in vast amounts all of a sudden - also given their policy to buy younger/potential/British etc.  It's also widely known that they are big fans of the way Arsenal run their affairs. 

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2925: Mar 27, 2012 11:06:31 pm
      And what do arsenal win. Should nt be what we are aiming for
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2926: Mar 27, 2012 11:25:58 pm
      Put it this way;

Either United or City will end up trophyless this season.
      Arsenal will certainly end up trophyless this season. (again)
      Chelsea or Spurs will end up trophyless this season depending on which one gets knocked out in the semi and Chelsea certainly ain't gonna win the European Cup. And the other will end up trophyless if we win the FA Cup, as I expect us to.

Whereas we will end up with at least one trophy and possibly end up with two which would be more than any other side in the League. So it's not bad for a side that can't compete with these big spending clubs is it? In fact, it's rather a good start to the new owners reign of Liverpool Football Club.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #2927: Mar 27, 2012 11:56:34 pm
      How do we know theyre doing it on the cheap?

Our strategy was to buy British and who's spunked more money on British signings than us?

Would we be more successful if we had spent 30 million on Downing and 20 million on Adam?

I think they have provided money for the players Kenny and Commoli wanted to buy.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #2928: Mar 28, 2012 12:06:50 am
      I understand peoples concerns about FSG spending since their takeover but in their defence i have to admit they have not put any monies from players sales onto bank interest payments,thats a bonus.

Lets put the spotlight on their net spend in the summer and how they back the King in the new season & what developments they will announce on our New stadium or a Anfield refurbishment.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2929: Mar 28, 2012 12:23:15 am
      And what do arsenal win. Should nt be what we are aiming for

Won the league twice in the last decade and finished top four quite a few times to play in Champions league (which seems to be the end all be all to many people)

Don't want to be Arsenal but you asked the question and I suppose if winning the league is the supreme test of a club they have fared better than us the past 10 years.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2930: Mar 28, 2012 12:27:38 am
      Put it this way;

Either United or City will end up trophyless this season.
      Arsenal will certainly end up trophyless this season. (again)
      Chelsea or Spurs will end up trophyless this season depending on which one gets knocked out in the semi and Chelsea certainly ain't gonna win the European Cup. And the other will end up trophyless if we win the FA Cup, as I expect us to.

Whereas we will end up with at least one trophy and possibly end up with two which would be more than any other side in the League. So it's not bad for a side that can't compete with these big spending clubs is it? In fact, it's rather a good start to the new owners reign of Liverpool Football Club.

Agree 100%
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #2931: Mar 28, 2012 06:10:22 am
      Perhaps my US background showing through, but I'd rather LFC win Champions League rather than the Premier League (if given a choice of one vs. the other). I'd rather be champion over many nations' best clubs rather than the champion of one nation. So I always want us to press on to Champions League over all else. I'm sure many English supporters feel the opposite, given that you have banter back and forth with supporters of other Premier League clubs far more than I do over here.

I say this because perhaps that's how FSG might feel too. I'm sure they want us to win the Premier League and the cups, but I'd guess if you asked our owners privately that they really want Champions League for not only the money but also for the (in their eyes) greater prestige. That's my clueless American guess anyway.   ;)
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2932: Mar 28, 2012 08:02:28 am
      Arsenal have won nothing in seven years Az if you think arsenal fans are happy with their current policy you should talk to a few of them.  I see some people are still believing the media spin that they have provided money for transfers
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2933: Mar 28, 2012 08:10:30 am
      A Club Financial Control Panel has been set up to monitor and ensure that clubs adhere to the financial fair play requirements - and in May 2010, the UEFA Executive Committee approved the UEFA Club Licensing and Fair Play Regulations - which have the support of all stakeholders in European football. Financial fair play measures will be implemented over a three-year period, with the break-even assessment covering the financial years ending 2012 and 2013 assessed during 2013/14, and starting with the assessment by the Club Financial Control Panel of all transfer and employee payables in the summer of 2011.

Fairly easy to understand I would have thought guy. "Here's the rules; abide by them"... "Don't take the chance of being disqualified."

the owners have already said that they will only spend what we earn, so I think hopes of them pumping money into the squad are very optimistic.

Indeed s@int; F.S.G., it would seem, are working within the rules as set out by U.E.F.A. - i.e. spend what you earn.

If they pump their "own money" into transfers they run the risk of Liverpool F.C. being disqualified from European competition (which is after all, the Holy Grail for so many of us). They have never hidden the fact that they would abide by the rules. They have never tried to deceive. Whilst others (particularly City, when you look at how Chelsea have curtailed net spend recently) might want to run that risk F.S.G. have made it clear we won't. I believe that's both fair and easily understood.

Optimism doesn't really come into it... not if one professes to be a 'realist', that is.

I understand peoples concerns about FSG spending since their takeover but in their defence i have to admit they have not put any monies from players sales onto bank interest payments,thats a bonus.

Lets put the spotlight on their net spend in the summer and how they back the King in the new season & what developments they will announce on our New stadium or a Anfield refurbishment.

'Realistically', as fans, that's all we can do Shabs.

For all the stick Ayres, for example, has received of late, he has been able to boost our coffers and supplement the all important income. As you and others have pointed out F.S.G. have, in return, promised to put any monies earned back into the team.

So far they've honoured that commitment. This Summer, I believe, we'll see a substantial transfer kitty (my best guess, as I've 'said' before, is circa £60m plus player sales)... it may not be their "own money" but the truth is they have never tried to hide that fact.  :-\

Bier
      Reply #2934: Mar 28, 2012 08:29:48 am
      As far as finances go, I'm happy as long as all profit is reinvested into the club, and not payed out.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2935: Mar 28, 2012 08:34:16 am
      Arsenal have won nothing in seven years Az if you think arsenal fans are happy with their current policy you should talk to a few of them.  I see some people are still believing the media spin that they have provided money for transfers

Thats fine Cor, you asked the question and it appeared to me that they have won the league twice in the last decade and seem to qualify for a CL spot on a fairly regular basis which once again seems to be the end all be all for many on this board.

As I said I am not asking to be Arsenal I want to be Liverpool but suggesting they are nothing when they sit on 2 league tiltles to our 0 and playing in a pretty decent modern facility don't make them garbage. I know you want to be City or Chelsea money but don't think that is going to happen so your going to have to learn to live with it.

I might be wrong and it all might be debt and a house of cards that is crumbling but I would suspect the united owners dont put any money in but then again the toliet is quite large and they have a huge fanbase that creates a lot of income that keeps them afloat.

We have something that Arsenal, City and Chelsea do not have, and that is our fanbase so while you may think that monetarily copying Arsenal is the wrong way to go we have a shiteload more fans and revenue possibilites than the gooners will ever have. City and Chelsea need deep pocket owners because neither one of them can match the scums revenue machine so they make it up with billionaire owners.

We are going to have to be competitive on the business side that means the stadium is a must, CL is needed and I do agree with you that an influx of money from the owners would be helpful but if they are hell bent on following FFP rules then they are only going to toss in 15m a year over the next 2 years to stay in compliance. Our best hope is the SC and Warrior monies are put right back in and are used for players.
      « Last Edit: Mar 28, 2012 08:49:54 am by AZPatriot »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2936: Mar 28, 2012 09:01:33 am
      This Summer, I believe, we'll see a substantial transfer kitty (my best guess, as I've 'said' before, is circa £60m plus player sales)... it may not be their "own money" but the truth is they have never tried to hide that fact.  :-\

I will be delighted if we see £60m plus player sales mate, my own hopes were about half that. Certainly if we do see the £60million, it will show that the salary saving excercise of last Summer was both essential and very effective and that our commercial ventures are proving their worth.

I still believe the real proof of our owners long term intentions will be movement on the stadium, and unless and until that happens I will still have some reservations.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2937: Mar 28, 2012 09:32:25 am
      I still believe the real proof of our owners long term intentions will be movement on the stadium, and unless and until that happens I will still have some reservations.

I can't, won't and have never disagreed with that s@int; long time posters will know my opinion on the importance of a new stadium without me repeating myself.

It's a big project which demands massive investment; too big to get wrong. F.S.G. have to get this right and the fact that they've made no hasty or rash promises would suggest they are, at least, approaching the decision with the care and respect it demands.

Here's hoping.

kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #2938: Mar 28, 2012 09:36:43 am
      I can't, won't and have never disagreed with that s@int; long time posters will know my opinion on the importance of a new stadium without me repeating myself.

It's a big project which demands massive investment; too big to get wrong. F.S.G. have to get this right and the fact that they've made no hasty or rash promises would suggest they are, at least, approaching the decision with the care and respect it demands.

Here's hoping.

We can only hope mate :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2939: Mar 28, 2012 10:00:44 am

Won the league twice in the last decade and finished top four quite a few times to play in Champions league (which seems to be the end all be all to many people)

Don't want to be Arsenal but you asked the question and I suppose if winning the league is the supreme test of a club they have fared better than us the past 10 years.

Its a decent point AZ especially the one that Arsenal's transfer policy regularly delivers the holy grail, to many people, of Champions League football regularly.

Having said that our own transfer policy, which is derided by many, has delivered a trophy and the good possibility of another in little over a year so maybe FSG, Comolli and Kenny are doing something right.

I'd be interested to see this time next season if we convert our good play in league football into the wins they deserve how many will give the owners a bit of credit or if the goalposts will be changed again.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2940: Mar 28, 2012 10:08:50 am

... And be patient kb.

Anything else, (shaking like a shitting dog about everything that might go wrong), is futile, the domain of the neurotic and is best stayed clear of.  8)
      « Last Edit: Mar 28, 2012 10:34:34 am by bad boy bubby »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2941: Mar 28, 2012 10:21:44 am
      Wish they'd leverage debt on the club so we can buy Cavani, Muniain and Martinez.
      F**k sensible owners, roll the dice baby!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #2942: Mar 28, 2012 10:22:25 am
      Nothing whatever has changed in the world of high finance despite claims of an upturn by various governments, institutions and banking heads we are still in the grip of a well cemented recession  - and all that entails.
      Nobody in their right mind would undertake a multi million pound project in today's financial climate, true enough labour and materials would present an optimistic picture but an undertaking such as this would require serious backing ie financial support and sponsorship in the form of borrowing from the aforementioned financial institutions who will be not to eager to relinquish any funds in today's jittery market place.
      Caution is the key word here and to discourage any 'big job' borrowers who cannot smell the coffee, interest rates are hiked up to disproportianate levels.
      Coming from the US of A as he does, smelling coffee is a honed practice no doubt for John Henry and Co.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2943: Mar 28, 2012 10:27:25 am

I do wonder are we actually in the midst of a Depression but the powers that be won't acknowledge it.

Of all the things I would like to see in the summer the stadium is where I would like us to get moving.
      Without a naming partner I can't see anything happening, but I trust FSG to sort that out and have no
      problem with them taking the time to make the right decision, because let's face it they HAVE to get it right.
      We are a world behind Barca and Madrid, United and Arsenal when it comes to stadium revenue and that is
      worth more to us than anything else they can confirm in the summer.

Get movement on the stadium and I'll be a happy man.
      Then get the right players in to ensure we play to a packed house.

Quick Reply