Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2756728 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #29417: Nov 11, 2021 08:42:28 pm
      Thought you were the one pulling people up for 'crying' in match threads. Or maybe that's just for stuff you don't agree with.

Yea, I do trust JĆ¼rgen as have said many many times, way more that the money men that's for sure :)

So when Klopp says he is happy with his squad itā€™s good you trust him 👏👍
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #29418: Nov 11, 2021 09:24:53 pm

Wasnā€™t happy in Jan was heā€¦?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29419: Nov 11, 2021 10:10:20 pm

I guess this must be what it's like to play tennis...
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #29420: Nov 11, 2021 11:15:35 pm
      I guess this must be what it's like to play tennis...

He won't ever stop. He works for them, I'm sure of it.

We didn't replace Gini. I kept mentioning this before the season started. Apparently I'm a blue nose in disguise.

These tight bas**rds didn't back Klopp last Jan and didn't back Klopp in the summer. Signing Konate was only righting a wrong from not replacing Lovren the summer before. We've gone backwards without Gini. I said it before the season and I'll say it again, no team wins the league with that midfield.

The strikers are an issue too. Bobby can't stay fit and Mane has declined.

I didn't need to come here when we beat United because as happy as I was we were just papering cracks. Our defence is a joke because our midfield are so bad at offering protection. We had Gini and Fab tracking their runners. We no longer have that. Fab is constantly injured and Gini is gone with no replacement.

YOU LOT (you know who you are) told me Naby and Ox were the replacements and will more than fill Ginis position.

Where the f**k are you now? After all that abuse, let's hear what you've got to say for yourselves about Naby and Ox replacing Gini.

I'm waiting....
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29421: Nov 12, 2021 12:48:08 am
      We've gone backwards without Gini.

Wouldnā€™t say weā€™ve gone backwards at all, if weā€™d gone backwards we wouldnā€™t have only just lost our first game of the season in all competitions and be having our best ever CL group stage in what is the toughest group there is.
      One of our main issues is once again injuries, if we hadnā€™t of lost Fab, Thiago and even Elliott, then much like at the start of the season, nobody would be giving Gini a second thought. Our biggest issue this season is conceding goals and like it or not, we shipped a tonne of goals last season with Gini in the team. Obviously there were other circumstances at play but the reason people said we were poor in defence last year was because we had no Van Dijk and whoever elseā€¦whilst forgetting we shipped 7 vs Villa with these players available. Form dropping off isnā€™t always linked to the absence of just one player, no matter how much people may try and look at it that way. We just arenā€™t as good a team defensively as we like to think we are and although people like to look for individuals being the reason why; I.e, Van Dijk injured, Gini exit or whatever else, that isnā€™t the main reason, the main reason is because we insist on playing this ridiculously high line and teams figuring out how to expose it, mixed in with lapses of concentration from the players. When you get players like Kurt Zouma clearly pin pointing how to hurt us and expose that high line, itā€™s time to look at making some changes because it isnā€™t working.

Canā€™t be bothered with the rest of your post.
      « Last Edit: Nov 12, 2021 12:57:53 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #29422: Nov 12, 2021 07:27:19 am
      Wouldnā€™t say weā€™ve gone backwards at all, if weā€™d gone backwards we wouldnā€™t have only just lost our first game of the season in all competitions and be having our best ever CL group stage in what is the toughest group there is.
      One of our main issues is once again injuries, if we hadnā€™t of lost Fab, Thiago and even Elliott, then much like at the start of the season, nobody would be giving Gini a second thought. Our biggest issue this season is conceding goals and like it or not, we shipped a tonne of goals last season with Gini in the team. Obviously there were other circumstances at play but the reason people said we were poor in defence last year was because we had no Van Dijk and whoever elseā€¦whilst forgetting we shipped 7 vs Villa with these players available. Form dropping off isnā€™t always linked to the absence of just one player, no matter how much people may try and look at it that way. We just arenā€™t as good a team defensively as we like to think we are and although people like to look for individuals being the reason why; I.e, Van Dijk injured, Gini exit or whatever else, that isnā€™t the main reason, the main reason is because we insist on playing this ridiculously high line and teams figuring out how to expose it, mixed in with lapses of concentration from the players. When you get players like Kurt Zouma clearly pin pointing how to hurt us and expose that high line, itā€™s time to look at making some changes because it isnā€™t working.

We relied on injury prone players to replace the one player that never got injured
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29423: Nov 12, 2021 07:37:02 am

The first post I've actually enjoyed reading in this thread in days.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #29424: Nov 12, 2021 02:45:16 pm
      The first post I've actually enjoyed reading in this thread in days.

Hadn't you heard. We went undefeated, never got scored against and won every trophy while Gini was here.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #29425: Nov 12, 2021 02:59:13 pm
      I honestly wouldn't be surprised if FSG try to sell in the near future.  I think they were probably ecstatic about the idea of the Super League (guaranteed revenue streams and reduced financial risk) and were very disappointed that it went tits up.  Likewise, they may be looking at Newcastle as the new Man City and the likes of Spurs (signing Conte and promising him $$$ to spend) and Arsenal (piecing together the foundation of a good, young side) and thinking that the challenge of finishing top 4 on a shoestring budget has just gotten much more difficult...
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #29426: Nov 12, 2021 03:14:30 pm
      He won't ever stop. He works for them, I'm sure of it.

We didn't replace Gini. I kept mentioning this before the season started. Apparently I'm a blue nose in disguise.

These tight bas**rds didn't back Klopp last Jan and didn't back Klopp in the summer. Signing Konate was only righting a wrong from not replacing Lovren the summer before. We've gone backwards without Gini. I said it before the season and I'll say it again, no team wins the league with that midfield.

The strikers are an issue too. Bobby can't stay fit and Mane has declined.

I didn't need to come here when we beat United because as happy as I was we were just papering cracks. Our defence is a joke because our midfield are so bad at offering protection. We had Gini and Fab tracking their runners. We no longer have that. Fab is constantly injured and Gini is gone with no replacement.

YOU LOT (you know who you are) told me Naby and Ox were the replacements and will more than fill Ginis position.

Where the f**k are you now? After all that abuse, let's hear what you've got to say for yourselves about Naby and Ox replacing Gini.

I'm waiting....

:lmao: :lmao:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29427: Nov 12, 2021 05:08:22 pm

Team form, our high lines, defending set pieces, players getting injured, coming back from injury etc. are all perfectly good talking points.

But imho what we're talking about here are transfers, the comings and goings, FSG investment etc

Do you think we should have strengthened in the summer in the midfield?

I'm not saying if Gini was in the team now we'd be higher in the table.

But he played an awful lot of games for us and he wasn't replaced. JĆ¼rgen was a fan and trusted him.

When Lovren left, he was one of the main 4 CBs and people thought he should be replaced, we didn't do it at the time, we then hit an injury crisis that season nobody could've predicted - but we DID eventually bring in Konate a season later.  So people who argued he didn't need replacing - well - he was eventually replaced.

Gini was one of our first choice midfield 3. Like Lovren, I actually think we will replace him eventually - sign a similar type midfielder - but not sure why we could not have tried harder to do it in the summer gone, than do a Lovren, and leave it for a year. 
      We don't have the same level of injuries in the middle that we had at the back - certainly not yet - this season,  but given the history of the midfield lads, it wasn't hard to predict in the summer that we could have problems in the middle with injuries this year.

With a net profit of 7mill in the summer on transfers, I just think we should have signed a midfielder, invest in the team. Not saying we'd be higher in the table now if we had done - but we might be.  It's a long season, just think it would've been a good idea.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #29428: Nov 12, 2021 05:22:45 pm
      Team form, our high lines, defending set pieces, players getting injured, coming back from injury etc. are all perfectly good talking points.

But imho what we're talking about here are transfers, the comings and goings, FSG investment etc

But he played an awful lot of games for us and he wasn't replaced. JĆ¼rgen was a fan and trusted him.

When Lovren left, he was one of the main 4 CBs and people thought he should be replaced, we didn't do it at the time, we then hit an injury crisis that season nobody could've predicted - but we DID eventually bring in Konate a season later.  So people who argued he didn't need replacing - well - he was eventually replaced.

Gini was one of our first choice midfield 3. Like Lovren, I actually think we will replace him eventually - sign a similar type midfielder - but not sure why we could not have tried harder to do it in the summer gone, than do a Lovren, and leave it for a year. 
      We don't have the same level of injuries in the middle that we had at the back - certainly not yet - this season,  but given the history of the midfield lads, it wasn't hard to predict in the summer that we could have problems in the middle with injuries this year.

With a net profit of 7mill in the summer on transfers, I just think we should have signed a midfielder, invest in the team. Not saying we'd be higher in the table now if we had done - but we might be.  It's a long season, just think it would've been a good idea.

You keep bring up the Ā£7mil as some profit

Iā€™m sure you understand that the outgoings will also include the multiple signing on fees for all those new contracts and thah the club overall prob made a loss in the summer

The transfer money in and out isnā€™t isolated from the rest of the finances
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29429: Nov 12, 2021 05:54:32 pm

You keep bring up the Ā£7mil as some profit

Iā€™m sure you understand that the outgoings will also include the multiple signing on fees for all those new contracts and thah the club overall prob made a loss in the summer

Right, its just the net from ins/outs
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #29430: Nov 12, 2021 06:13:53 pm
      Right, its just the net from ins/outs

So in the grand scheme of things itā€™s not really relevant apart those that are fixated about net spend as some sort of barometer

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29431: Nov 12, 2021 09:06:58 pm

So in the grand scheme of things itā€™s not really relevant apart those that are fixated about net spend as some sort of barometer

Not really, I don't generally talk about net spend, that number is just a symptom of barely doing any transfer business.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #29432: Nov 14, 2021 12:00:41 am

I think the plan was for Elliott to step up and be Gini's replacement and, in fairness, he was probably our best midfielder until his injury
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #29433: Nov 14, 2021 12:04:21 am

Exactly ... you'd think the players are all volunteers based on how some people obsess over transfer fees. Wages are a much bigger cost - we've seen this with Mbappe - he is very keen to leave PSG but it is the wages, not the transfer fee, that have kept him there. We have the second-highest wage bill and the owners have clearly put considerable effort into keeping our better players and preventing the situations we had with Torres / Suarez / Sterling
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29434: Nov 14, 2021 10:30:43 am

its a barometer of the ambition of the owners who just to say it once again got lucky hiring JĆ¼rgen. WIth Newcastle it going to be apparent just how ambitious they are for success on the field rather than the value of the club
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29435: Nov 14, 2021 10:41:37 am
      its a barometer of the ambition of the owners who just to say it once again got lucky hiring JĆ¼rgen. WIth Newcastle it going to be apparent just how ambitious they are for success on the field rather than the value of the club

We can't keep saying they were 'lucky' to hire JĆ¼rgen when they identified the man who could bring their vision to life.

If I have a business and recruit the best man I can to implement how I want things run then it's not luck, just pure good business sense.

As far as Newcastle go if the richest owners in World football start splashing the cash so be it, but you can't compare that level of wealth with our owners.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29436: Nov 14, 2021 10:55:16 am
      I think the plan was for Elliott to step up and be Gini's replacement and, in fairness, he was probably our best midfielder until his injury

Not the same type of player though is he.
      Also, lots of potential but young an unproven vs. someone who trusted by JĆ¼rgen played lots and lots of games in the first XI for many years.

And it's not just about Gini, its about investment, or lack thereof.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29437: Nov 14, 2021 12:39:47 pm
      We can't keep saying they were 'lucky' to hire JĆ¼rgen when they identified the man who could bring their vision to life.

If I have a business and recruit the best man I can to implement how I want things run then it's not luck, just pure good business sense.

As far as Newcastle go if the richest owners in World football start splashing the cash so be it, but you can't compare that level of wealth with our owners.

of course we were lucky as JĆ¼rgen was on holiday so they didnt have to even pay compo.
      It seems we could spend close to Ā£300mil before we fall foul of FFP ( not that exists) Everton are already in the bad books to the tune of Ā£35mil. Again its not good business sense re JĆ¼rgen because it was just good fortune he was available 12 months earlier the answer would have been no.Nothing wrong with lucky owners they won the lottery when they bought the club for next to nothing and have seen their Investment (which is how they see the club) grow 10 fold.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #29438: Nov 14, 2021 03:52:44 pm

We were lucky as JĆ¼rgen choose us, as no amount of money, history and persuasion could lure him to us. No, we didnā€™t ask him to shorten his sabbatical. He walked out entirely on his own, came over and said let me be your manager. Youā€™re lucky Iā€™m here. He came to us and wanted to be our manger more badly than the board wanted to appoint him. The board decided to try him out due to his desperation. In fact the board had no choice but to give in.

Agree entirely that weā€™re lucky. Changing the numbers on the champions wall became history thereafter. Luck huh? Liverpool football club is lucky Iā€™m a LFC fan. Weā€™d be so lucky this year. No we donā€™t create our own luck.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #29439: Nov 14, 2021 04:34:08 pm
      Itā€™s not a barometer of ambition at all - itā€™s barometer of how well a club spends and also sell players

It seems for some an owner can only show ambition if they use their own bank account to buy players - itā€™s utterly ridiculous

Why is it ā€œluckyā€ that they hired Klopp ? Surely itā€™s a good management decision ? They sacked one manager and employed another - thatā€™s not luck

And so what if Newcastle spend lots of money - it wonā€™t change our approach to the sport

Quick Reply