Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 1st Dec @ 8:15 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 30th of November and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W13 D3 L7

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 1833786 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,669 posts | 1299 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #29450: Nov 15, 2021 06:48:59 pm
      F**k me you're so dedicated to defending FSG it's unreal

Is it just a coincidence that you posted nothing but negative before the season started - you disappeared when it got going and then only returned when we lost a game with some “I told you so’s”
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,265 posts | 4774 
      Reply #29451: Nov 15, 2021 07:18:21 pm
      Excellent point

So when they needed a new stand they went and got one 👍

Same with a new training ground 👍

but loaned the money to themselves the owners

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,669 posts | 1299 
      Reply #29452: Nov 15, 2021 07:22:03 pm
      but loaned the money to themselves the owners

And 🤷‍♂️ what’s wrong with that ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,436 posts | 4514 
      Reply #29453: Nov 15, 2021 10:01:58 pm
      And 🤷‍♂️ what’s wrong with that ?

So why don’t they do that for player purchases?
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,252 posts | 4173 
      Reply #29454: Nov 15, 2021 10:42:54 pm

Reeled him in …. 😂
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,824 posts | 698 
      Reply #29455: Nov 15, 2021 11:25:11 pm
      I don't know how Pyjamas does it. Why would you spend so much time defending a corporate acronym?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,669 posts | 1299 
      Reply #29456: Nov 16, 2021 09:19:16 am

Why do they need to ?

The club have spent just over £1bn in players since they bought the club

Have a squad that includes some of the best players in the world and potentially the best there is at the moment in time - have managed to win CL , league plus a number of other cups and have a squad that will challenge again this season for the league and the CL

Why start to loan money to buy players when it’s not been needed before 🤷‍♂️
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,669 posts | 1299 
      Reply #29457: Nov 16, 2021 09:29:36 am
      I don't know how Pyjamas does it. Why would you spend so much time defending a corporate acronym?

A corporate acronym 🤷‍♂️

Let’s just look at the picture the day before they bought us

Stadium - too small , in need a big refurb and size increase

Commercial income - mid table at best in regards commercial deals

Debt - significant amount of leveraged debt against the club - under the control of the banks

Squad - we had the likes of Ngog , Shelvey , Jovanovic , Wilson , Joe Cole , Christen Poulsen , Paul Koncheskey, Kyrgiakos

Players desperate to leave the club - Mascherano already gone , Yossi followed - Torres wanting out

All looked after by Roy Hodgson

On the pitch - league cup - knocked out by Northampton Town ?!

19th in the league !! 19th ?!?!

Now compare that to right now

They got deserved criticism for the tickets , furlough and super league issues and each time they pulled out and I would expect them to learn from those mistakes

But no one can deny the improvements in the club since they day they bought the club - so imo it’s both sad and pathetic when I see them being attacked mainly because they aren’t spending enough of their own money for some

Redman7804
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | 36 
      Reply #29458: Nov 16, 2021 10:02:37 am
      A corporate acronym 🤷‍♂️

Let’s just look at the picture the day before they bought us

Stadium - too small , in need a big refurb and size increase

Commercial income - mid table at best in regards commercial deals

Debt - significant amount of leveraged debt against the club - under the control of the banks

Squad - we had the likes of Ngog , Shelvey , Jovanovic , Wilson , Joe Cole , Christen Poulsen , Paul Koncheskey, Kyrgiakos

Players desperate to leave the club - Mascherano already gone , Yossi followed - Torres wanting out

All looked after by Roy Hodgson

On the pitch - league cup - knocked out by Northampton Town ?!

19th in the league !! 19th ?!?!

Now compare that to right now

They got deserved criticism for the tickets , furlough and super league issues and each time they pulled out and I would expect them to learn from those mistakes

But no one can deny the improvements in the club since they day they bought the club - so imo it’s both sad and pathetic when I see them being attacked mainly because they aren’t spending enough of their own money for some

Which is all fair enough, but also surely it’s fair enough if others feel they could do more or go the extra mile?
      Surely it doesn’t have to be one or the other, so black and white? You either are in your camp or way over in the other

That’s what can get frustrating in these types of debates, everyone thinks their view is completely right where the truth often is somewhere in the middle where both sides have valid and correct points

For me what you say is for the most part absolutely valid.. however you can see from the other side that it’s also valid that a fair few of the players we have now we wouldn’t have without selling players previously thought of as vital. Now yes they may have wanted to leave, and if anyone does then no problem, but it’s absolutely valid that the players who have replaced them wouldn’t be here had they not left. So again it’s valid to say that

I saw yesterday that you say about the 1b spend since they arrived, again valid.. however it only works out just over 20m a season over their time, which again is valid that couldn’t we at some point have spent more to solidify our position
      It’s valid to say about the 1b but it’s also valid to say had we not sold near on 800m then that 1b would be a pipe dream

The wage bill is a more viable yard stick, we have increased that over the years to reflect the players we have, fair play, a valid point.
      However the flip side is the Salah point, not to the point I actually don’t think it won’t be sorted but if it is, and I hope it is obviously, but the only way we revitalise this squad is by selling a big hitter, the evidence is there so isn’t debatable, so who goes to finance that? Because it won’t be done on a 20m yearly transfer spend, but the real sellable assets are getting older, unless one is sold this upcoming summer you have to wonder about the regeneration of this squad

All vital points for me, it doesn’t have to be you’re either in one camp or the other
      They have done some fantastic things, they have done some sh*te.. they have rebuilt the club within their structure.. the next rebuild of it will either upset a lot - ie Salah is sold - or will be a start again process - ie Klopp sees out his current deal and leaves and this squad gets old with that process and loses sellable value, and we know they won’t fund that themselves
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,265 posts | 4774 
      Reply #29459: Nov 16, 2021 10:25:36 am
      whatever they are paying him its not enough he puts in more hours supporting FSG than FSG do
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,566 posts | 169 
      Reply #29460: Nov 16, 2021 10:38:56 am
      Fsg have done a hell of alot of good here ... no doubt about that.

Yet they have shown also that they have and will continue to make mistakes ... if the super league reared its ugly head again they would sign us up again without even consulting the fan base. I also fear they will sell salah instead of paying him more and give the money to Jürgen to spend next summer. Summer 22 will be vital. Because if we get to summer 23 ... heading into Jürgen's last year it will be harder to attract players who will know Jürgen is leaving in 24. Anyhow ...

Their ownership will always be judged on results on the field. Before October 2015 ... not alot ... just bizarre decisions and no real success. Yes we almost won the league in 2014 buy there was nothing there that would have lasted.

Then they had the Xmas' at once and got Jürgen ... the rest is history.

However, when he leaves in 2024 I worry we will be back to pre 2015 ... looking for a manager who can work on a shoestring transfer budget (compared to the competition at home and abroad) and keep us at the top. Jürgen isn't perfect ... I get frustrated with him sometimes but there is no doubt he is one of the best and perfect for us. I hope he signs on beyond 2024.

I'm thankful to fsg for developing the Stadium, being steady Eddie custodians of the club etc and developing off field facilities. The commercial side of the club has come on leaps and bounds. But the success over the past 3 years or so is down to Jürgen and his team ... and the players. And if we are to stay at the top, under the fsg model ... its vital Jürgen stays in my view.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,265 posts | 4774 
      Reply #29461: Nov 16, 2021 10:49:52 am
      David Moores rebuilt the Kop the old Kemlyn road stand and the Anfield road a lot of the ground work was done before FSG rode into town.
      Moores was brutally honest in his admission that he could not keep the club competitive against Chelsea UTD etc and that deeper pockets where needed and his £20 mil per season just wouldnt hack so in came the clowns . He must kick himself now seeing how FSG manage the club remotely with little financial input to anything that will not improve the clubs value its a business to them . As long as the club financially is a success they really dont care if the supporters never get to another wembley final or witness another parade it saves them from having to fly from Boston.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | 36 
      Reply #29462: Nov 16, 2021 10:57:36 am
      David Moores rebuilt the Kop the old Kemlyn road stand and the Anfield road a lot of the ground work was done before FSG rode into town.
      Moores was brutally honest in his admission that he could not keep the club competitive against Chelsea UTD etc and that deeper pockets where needed and his £20 mil per season just wouldnt hack so in came the clowns . He must kick himself now seeing how FSG manage the club remotely with little financial input to anything that will not improve the clubs value its a business to them . As long as the club financially is a success they really dont care if the supporters never get to another wembley final or witness another parade it saves them from having to fly from Boston.

I’d agree they don’t care about success on the pitch.. success off of it is all they’re in it for

It may be a welcome bonus, or something that buys times but it’s absolutely not what they’re in it for

Thinking they’re is just a bit naive truth be told, but that can be said of all these owners
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,669 posts | 1299 
      Reply #29463: Nov 16, 2021 12:28:13 pm
      Which is all fair enough, but also surely it’s fair enough if others feel they could do more or go the extra mile?
      Surely it doesn’t have to be one or the other, so black and white? You either are in your camp or way over in the other

It’s a fair point - what is this “extra mile” though - the manager has said on a number of occasions that he has no issues with the recruitment, with the squad , with the way the transfers work and has stated that when they need a player they get him ? So is it the fans just deciding that the club need to spend more and buy more ?

That’s what can get frustrating in these types of debates, everyone thinks their view is completely right where the truth often is somewhere in the middle where both sides have valid and correct points

For me what you say is for the most part absolutely valid.. however you can see from the other side that it’s also valid that a fair few of the players we have now we wouldn’t have without selling players previously thought of as vital. Now yes they may have wanted to leave, and if anyone does then no problem, but it’s absolutely valid that the players who have replaced them wouldn’t be here had they not left. So again it’s valid to say that

Who we would have bought or wouldn’t have bought is unknown - players leave and they replace them , some want to leave , some they decided just aren’t at the level needed and sell but they clearly do well in the transfer market

I can really only think of the one player who i would have been desperate to keep - Suarez. The rest not really and them leaving allowed the club to move on

I saw yesterday that you say about the 1b spend since they arrived, again valid.. however it only works out just over 20m a season over their time, which again is valid that couldn’t we at some point have spent more to solidify our position
      It’s valid to say about the 1b but it’s also valid to say had we not sold near on 800m then that 1b would be a pipe dream

All depends on what figure you want to use - it seems a modern thing that the net spend is key ? Not for me it isn’t - for example when we sold Keegan and bought Kenny - all that mattered was we bought a class player - same when we sold Rush and bought Beardsley and Barnes - net spend was nearly zero but we improved the squad , back then we didn’t cry about net spend. We sold Coutinho and used that money to improve the squad - who cares what the net spend is if we improve the squad

The wage bill is a more viable yard stick, we have increased that over the years to reflect the players we have, fair play, a valid point.
      However the flip side is the Salah point, not to the point I actually don’t think it won’t be sorted but if it is, and I hope it is obviously, but the only way we revitalise this squad is by selling a big hitter, the evidence is there so isn’t debatable, so who goes to finance that? Because it won’t be done on a 20m yearly transfer spend, but the real sellable assets are getting older, unless one is sold this upcoming summer you have to wonder about the regeneration of this squad

The club have worked very hard to try and bring in more commercial money to allow more money to be spent - that has took a hit due to COVID so I’m expecting there to be more money to be available to spend when we start to get the Nike money for example , match day revenue etc. i don’t concentrate on figures though - it’s always about what players arrive and how they improve the squad
      All vital points for me, it doesn’t have to be you’re either in one camp or the other
      They have done some fantastic things, they have done some sh*te.. they have rebuilt the club within their structure.. the next rebuild of it will either upset a lot - ie Salah is sold - or will be a start again process - ie Klopp sees out his current deal and leaves and this squad gets old with that process and loses sellable value, and we know they won’t fund that themselves

At the end of the day they decided on a model of how the club will be run - that’s not going to change , they aren’t going to take loans or spend their own money to buy players. No amount of crying on social media will change that

But thank you for responding in a respectful manner and being open to discussion
      « Last Edit: Nov 16, 2021 12:38:45 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,265 posts | 4774 
      Reply #29464: Nov 16, 2021 12:44:57 pm
      the point I constanly make and worry about is FSG put in about £300mil-£400mil the club is worth according to some over £3billion. When FSG come upon hard times or get too old they will cash  in and they will take every penny of value out of this club strangely enough leaving us in similar trouble to Hicks and Gillette as the New  Owners will have to find a lot of money down the sofa or borrow to buy the club and then we know what happens next. So for all the young kids now starting out following LFC we need to protect the club for them
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,669 posts | 1299 
      Reply #29465: Nov 16, 2021 12:52:18 pm
      the point I constanly make and worry about is FSG put in about £300mil-£400mil the club is worth according to some over £3billion. When FSG come upon hard times or get too old they will cash  in and they will take every penny of value out of this club strangely enough leaving us in similar trouble to Hicks and Gillette as the New  Owners will have to find a lot of money down the sofa or borrow to buy the club and then we know what happens next. So for all the young kids now starting out following LFC we need to protect the club for them

I can’t understand this thought process ?

They bought the club

It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it

If they do sell it then that money goes to them - why wouldn’t they ? Do you expect them to sell the club but then only take 50% and give the club the other ? How does that work ?

I’m struggling to understand the thought process

If the club is sold the new owner will have a club with a superb squad an updated stadium , a better commercially viable club than previously ?
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 790 posts | 289 
      Reply #29466: Nov 16, 2021 12:59:35 pm
      Can't wait till we lose another match...
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,669 posts | 1299 
      Reply #29467: Nov 16, 2021 02:11:54 pm
      Can't wait till we lose another match...

A draw also does it 😁
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,647 posts | 969 
      Reply #29468: Nov 16, 2021 02:23:10 pm

Giving up a lead is often enough as well, even if we win at the end.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,157 posts | 2814 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #29469: Nov 16, 2021 02:47:06 pm
      Topic locked for now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,587 posts | 5683 
      Reply #29470: Nov 17, 2021 12:34:39 pm
      Topic unlocked.

Christmas for me is a time that I have to spend money, which makes my fuse a little bit shorter.  I would ask all users to do their very best to debate the topics and not call each other names.  That way I'll have no reason to hand out any further warnings.  Let's all call it 'being an adult.'
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,265 posts | 4774 
      Reply #29471: Nov 17, 2021 01:07:19 pm
      I can’t understand this thought process ?

They bought the club

It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it

If they do sell it then that money goes to them - why wouldn’t they ? Do you expect them to sell the club but then only take 50% and give the club the other ? How does that work ?

I’m struggling to understand the thought process

If the club is sold the new owner will have a club with a superb squad an updated stadium , a better commercially viable club than previously ?

you clearly dont care what happens to the club in the future when two cowboys turn up with a 3 day loan that then gets transferred to the club with interest payments equivalent to buying a Mo every season. Try thinking about what happens next
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,436 posts | 4514 
      Reply #29472: Nov 17, 2021 02:01:23 pm

The Wall Street Journal
      @WSJ
      The Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team is in talks to be sold to Fenway Sports Group, owner of the Boston Red Sox, people familiar with the matter say

Wonder if that's where the Redbird money is going. You know, the money that was supposed to bolster LFC during Covid.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,252 posts | 4173 
      Reply #29473: Nov 17, 2021 02:18:38 pm
      The Wall Street Journal
      @WSJ
      The Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team is in talks to be sold to Fenway Sports Group, owner of the Boston Red Sox, people familiar with the matter say

Wonder if that's where the Redbird money is going. You know, the money that was supposed to bolster LFC during Covid.

Possible or the monies coming in from the new USA TV rights deal bringing in about £400 million allegedly for FSG...🤷🏻‍♂️
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,718 posts | 626 
      • All Good and That Stuff :-)
      Reply #29474: Nov 17, 2021 03:21:41 pm
      Topic unlocked.

Christmas for me is a time that I have to spend money, which makes my fuse a little bit shorter.  I would ask all users to do their very best to debate the topics and not call each other names.  That way I'll have no reason to hand out any further warnings.  Let's all call it 'being an adult.'

:gt-happyup:

Or go with the old wives saying of.......

Nothing good to say, then say nothing.  :lmao:

Quick Reply