Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2766281 times
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 734 posts | 113 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #30406: Jan 30, 2022 10:41:32 am
      I know I'll get called an FSG fanboy for this but thinking again about the structures we have in place and the owners really have moved the club into a position as one of the best run football clubs in the world.

We seem to identify players that fit a profile, many clubs do of course, but our strategy seems so aligned from top to bottom that I really have faith that the systems in place will yield result's event after Jürgen has left.

Be it young players to develop like Elliott, players to fill the squad like Tsimikas, players with potential to be world class like Salah and players that are basically the finished article like Virgil and Allison we cover all bases.

You could probably count on one hand the recruitment mistakes made over the last five or six years as they are very few and far between.

Clear strategy of buying players that fit and will progress us without just buying a player for the sake of it will keep is at the top for a long time.

Yes, agree 100%, it's right that there is scrutiny and debate though too - and there have been a few times where they've been stung by the fans - but I do personally feel that there are few better run football clubs around right now. And with arguably the best coach in the world too, it is proving to be a highly successful combination
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #30407: Jan 30, 2022 12:20:23 pm
      I know I'll get called an FSG fanboy for this but thinking again about the structures we have in place and the owners really have moved the club into a position as one of the best run football clubs in the world.

We seem to identify players that fit a profile, many clubs do of course, but our strategy seems so aligned from top to bottom that I really have faith that the systems in place will yield result's event after Jürgen has left.

Be it young players to develop like Elliott, players to fill the squad like Tsimikas, players with potential to be world class like Salah and players that are basically the finished article like Virgil and Allison we cover all bases.

You could probably count on one hand the recruitment mistakes made over the last five or six years as they are very few and far between.

Clear strategy of buying players that fit and will progress us without just buying a player for the sake of it will keep is at the top for a long time.

Let’s see if this view still holds on this board when we fail to perform and get the points on board. By then we’d (not referring to you) be crying out for quality backups and reinforcements. For now, let’s just celebrate the euphoria first. Me just getting mentally prepared a few steps ahead. A quality backup for this purchase…  :mad:
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30408: Jan 30, 2022 06:15:45 pm

Well said

We are all aware that I believe the clubs approach is the right way both on and off the pitch

They clearly have a blue print of which way they want to go - and it’s a blue print that’s fully endorsed by the manager

It also seems that Edwards replacement Ward is going to be a very smooth transition

Superb recruitment at three right time.

The manager clearly appreciates them

https://twitter.com/xxx/status/1487763296593846273?s=21

Maybe one day some fans will as well

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,940 posts | 4995 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #30409: Jan 30, 2022 08:32:50 pm
      Credit where it’s due though, Jürgen got his man, so fair play to the owners for reacting so quickly, however, why should  it take interest from another club before our owners cough up or act, they obviously knew Diaz was a wanted man, wanted by Jürgen so why wait until summer, would he have been cheaper ?

If you employ the best manager on the planet, and he comes to you the owner and says I really do think player X is for us, he would really bolster our chances of further successes if we were to sign him ASAP please, (a) you don’t wait until the summer window to get the fella in OR
                 (b) wait until another club shows a interest in said player ?

So why did they ‘Have’ to react, it just seems to me that they tend to drag their feet when it comes to spending money, there should be no hesitation, it wasn’t a £100m player, you would expect that after the successes Jürgen has brought so far that they would bend over backwards and delivered what he needs, so it’s going to be a very interesting summer, and hopeful a very very painful one for JW & Co.

Happy we have this deal wrapped, he is a very interesting signing is this fella, I’m guessing he’s one of those who won’t need too much acclimatising, and we could see him immediately, big call for Jürgen, …….and when Mo signs his new deal I doubt very much you could lift the club much higher, we’re  right at the crest of the wave and by F**k are we gonna ride it all the way to the gritty sh*t on the beach, hope we won’t need the coast guard, but Pep G might !!

Y  N  W  A
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30410: Jan 30, 2022 08:43:51 pm
      Credit where it’s due though, Jürgen got his man, so fair play to the owners for reacting so quickly, however, why should  it take interest from another club before our owners cough up or act, they obviously knew Diaz was a wanted man, wanted by Jürgen so why wait until summer, would he have been cheaper ?

If you employ the best manager on the planet, and he comes to you the owner and says I really do think player X is for us, he would really bolster our chances of further successes if we were to sign him ASAP please, (a) you don’t wait until the summer window to get the fella in OR
                 (b) wait until another club shows a interest in said player ?

So why did they ‘Have’ to react, it just seems to me that they tend to drag their feet when it comes to spending money, there should be no hesitation, it wasn’t a £100m player, you would expect that after the successes Jürgen has brought so far that they would bend over backwards and delivered what he needs, so it’s going to be a very interesting summer, and hopeful a very very painful one for JW & Co.

Happy we have this deal wrapped, he is a very interesting signing is this fella, I’m guessing he’s one of those who won’t need too much acclimatising, and we could see him immediately, big call for Jürgen, …….and when Mo signs his new deal I doubt very much you could lift the club much higher, we’re  right at the crest of the wave and by f**k are we gonna ride it all the way to the gritty sh*t on the beach, hope we won’t need the coast guard, but Pep G might !!

Y  N  W  A

The transfer was being lined up for the summer

Was brought forward because Porto were going to sell in Jan because of financial issues , so got in touch with us - Ward then got the deal done

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,940 posts | 4995 
      Reply #30411: Jan 30, 2022 09:04:28 pm
      The transfer was being lined up for the summer

Was brought forward because Porto were going to sell in Jan because of financial issues , so got in touch with us - Ward then got the deal done

I get that, Jürgen obviously has had eyes on him for quite a while, but it still took interest from another club to force FSG’s hand, monies should be readily available so if a target does materialise a quick phone call should be all it takes for the transfer negotiations to be started, permission should not be sought from owners for monies in relation to signing players, at Liverpool there is a holy trinity between the Manager the players and the fans, directors don’t come into it, they are only there to sign the cheque book, some bloke called Shanks said that once, some say he was a born leader, a philanthropist of football, a genius, and a bloody good manager, well I said listen Son, he was more important than that !!

Y  N  W  A

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30412: Jan 30, 2022 09:10:48 pm

I get that, Jürgen obviously has had eyes on him for quite a while, but it still took interest from another club to force FSG’s hand, monies should be readily available so if a target does materialise a quick phone call should be all it takes for the transfer negotiations to be started, permission should not be sought from owners for monies in relation to signing players, at Liverpool there is a holy trinity between the Manager the players and the fans, directors don’t come into it, they are only there to sign the cheque book, some bloke called Shanks said that once, some say he was a born leader, a philanthropist of football, a genius, and a bloody good manager, well I said listen Son, he was more important than that !!

Y  N  W  A

It’s a different landscape - the club clearly look more at the summer windows when looking to bring players in

It seems to me that they have reacted to all this when needed - Gordon, Ward , Klopp - that’s the three key men these days , Ward got the call - cleared with Gordon - off they go and do the signing - done and dusted in 3 days

FSGs hand wasn’t forced - the main players at the club all came together to get the player into the squad.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #30413: Jan 30, 2022 10:00:30 pm
      What’s this that Levy was going to complain to Henry and co about our approach? Why would they care about how we got the deal over the line :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #30414: Jan 30, 2022 10:26:50 pm
      You see, no one is asking to spend like the oligarch clubs.

Everyone is buzzing with the fee paid & how quickly we reacted to Diaz signing other than Levy… 😂
      Just add to the quality we have & we are pretty much unstoppable
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #30415: Jan 30, 2022 10:30:15 pm

Everyone is buzzing with the fee paid & how quickly we reacted to Diaz signing other than Levy… 😂

That's what we've been doing over the last few seasons isn't it?

Thiago, Jota, Konate.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30416: Jan 30, 2022 10:32:49 pm

So just doing what we have been doing over the last 5/6 years then 👍
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30417: Jan 30, 2022 11:00:09 pm
      I see one regular poster in this topic posting, 2 or 3 I dont. Funny that

YNWA
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #30418: Jan 31, 2022 02:38:48 pm
      So why did they ‘Have’ to react, it just seems to me that they tend to drag their feet when it comes to spending money, there should be no hesitation
      Did they "react"?

Four weeks ago, media outlets inform the masses that LFC is gearing up for a "70 million pound January swoop" for Diaz.
      Hmmmmm?
      Wonder who tipped off media with such a robust price figure? (Someone give billythered a hint)

Suddenly, "reports" of competition for Diaz's services materialize (billythered goes into panic mode "Pay full freight now!")
      Funny how that works

Yet, when the dust settles, LFC takes possession of Diaz who had a 67 million pound release clause for 37 mill + add ons.

Some "reaction"

This board needs a refresher on how "leverage" works
      FSG and Diaz certainly understand the role of leverage...and Porto understands the ramifications of negotiating from a position of weakness.

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2022 03:05:48 pm by Borg »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,940 posts | 4995 
      Reply #30419: Jan 31, 2022 03:06:42 pm
      It’s a different landscape - the club clearly look more at the summer windows when looking to bring players in

It seems to me that they have reacted to all this when needed - Gordon, Ward , Klopp - that’s the three key men these days , Ward got the call - cleared with Gordon - off they go and do the signing - done and dusted in 3 days

FSGs hand wasn’t forced - the main players at the club all came together to get the player into the squad.

Not how I see it Lall, nothing was going to happen until summer, until of course Spurs showed a interest, that triggered our response, Porto informed LFC of Spurs intentions therefore forcing our hand to get the deal done now, handed over about 8 million spondoolies, as a sweetener and voila job done, anyhoo, it all it means is we got him six months in advance, but who’s to say something would have happened and the deal dies a slow lingering death in that six months, like he got injured or had his head turned from elsewhere.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30420: Jan 31, 2022 03:33:27 pm

Not how I see it Lall, nothing was going to happen until summer, until of course Spurs showed a interest, that triggered our response, Porto informed LFC of Spurs intentions therefore forcing our hand to get the deal done now, handed over about 8 million spondoolies, as a sweetener and voila job done, anyhoo, it all it means is we got him six months in advance, but who’s to say something would have happened and the deal dies a slow lingering death in that six months, like he got injured or had his head turned from elsewhere.

I’m not sure what the issue is and how there is desire to look for a negative ?

The club clearly liked the player and it appears the plans where for the club to buy the player in the summer.

It was all brought forward because Porto needed money and would have sold him to Spurs - so came to us to let us know, that’s when we said ok will take him now then instead and away we go

Can we not just say - Well done and move on
      CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #30421: Jan 31, 2022 03:42:18 pm

So Diaz made us go from Jürgen having to perform miracles to us being unstoppable. I know Diaz is good, but damn
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #30422: Jan 31, 2022 04:00:27 pm
      So Diaz made us go from Jürgen having to perform miracles to us being unstoppable. I know Diaz is good, but damn

Don’t forget that the reason why Diaz is here is due to Jürgen’s miracles. ;D
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #30423: Jan 31, 2022 04:14:15 pm

But whenever we drop points, we see calls that we should have done more and added this or that player. Reinforcement, cover, backup… whatever. So maybe not spend like crazy but should have added decent cover - every season… decent is pretty expensive as well these days.

when we don’t add, we fail to reinforce. When we do add, we start discussing if Jota, Konate is meaningful addition. Clearly they won’t be because it would be discussed right after we fail to secure three points. Then it’s back to not supporting Jürgen enough and so forth - all in hindsight and giving impression that we should keep up our acquisitions with the oligarch clubs. And so we return to your first statement to kick off yet another cycle of this never ending discussion. This goes round and round… ;D
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,215 posts | 1221 
      Reply #30424: Jan 31, 2022 04:28:15 pm
      Good to see us dip in to the market, contrary to what many had predicted. There was money after all, there were quality reinforcements available, we can accommodate them and January can sometimes be a good time to buy.

As Jürgen said, Luis is a player he would have liked in the summer, as you have more time to bed him in and still have an equal chance in the league to Man City but sometimes it doesn't work out like that and you have to bide your time if you want to save a few million quid on the fee even if it does mean your squad isn't as strong as it could be going into the new season.

I am delighted with the signing and If we check our spreadsheets carefully we might have left ourselves just enough to cover the Carvalho fee.
      CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #30425: Jan 31, 2022 04:51:14 pm
      But whenever we drop points, we see calls that we should have done more and added this or that player. Reinforcement, cover, backup… whatever. So maybe not spend like crazy but should have added decent cover - every season… decent is pretty expensive as well these days.

when we don’t add, we fail to reinforce. When we do add, we start discussing if Jota, Konate is meaningful addition. Clearly they won’t be because it would be discussed right after we fail to secure three points. Then it’s back to not supporting Jürgen enough and so forth - all in hindsight and giving impression that we should keep up our acquisitions with the oligarch clubs. And so we return to your first statement to kick off yet another cycle of this never ending discussion. This goes round and round… ;D

Even City had a quiet January window. They sold Torres and replaced him with Julian Alvarez who admittedly i am not familiar with but probably one more for the future than this season.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,940 posts | 4995 
      Reply #30426: Jan 31, 2022 10:04:10 pm
      I’m not sure what the issue is and how there is desire to look for a negative ?

The club clearly liked the player and it appears the plans where for the club to buy the player in the summer.

It was all brought forward because Porto needed money and would have sold him to Spurs - so came to us to let us know, that’s when we said ok will take him now then instead and away we go

Can we not just say - Well done and move on

Yes we can, of course we can say we’ll done and move on, but I can’t help but feel we would have lost Diaz had we waited, it’s not my intention to be negative I was simply  saying that if a particular player became available we should just have the facilities in place to offer a price befitting his value, and not have to ask permission from Billy Hogan et al for said spondoolies, no manager should have carte Blanche over the clubs bank account but nor should he have to ask if it’s ok if we sign this player that I really really like ?

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30427: Feb 01, 2022 08:50:01 am
      Well done all at the club, decent window.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30428: Feb 01, 2022 09:47:20 am

Yes we can, of course we can say we’ll done and move on, but I can’t help but feel we would have lost Diaz had we waited, it’s not my intention to be negative I was simply  saying that if a particular player became available we should just have the facilities in place to offer a price befitting his value, and not have to ask permission from Billy Hogan et al for said spondoolies, no manager should have carte Blanche over the clubs bank account but nor should he have to ask if it’s ok if we sign this player that I really really like ?

We didn’t wait though

A player became available earlier than expected because of a situation and the club reacted to it

And no club spends money without the money man giving the thumbs up

Quick Reply