Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2764494 times
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #30567: Aug 17, 2022 02:40:45 pm
      Fair enough.

He probably mean jude bellingham, right player, but too expensive right now and dortmund wont sell this summer anyway.

Bu surely we need more than one midfielder? So we're meant to believe there's only one midfielder in the world for Liverpool fc?
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #30568: Aug 17, 2022 03:20:21 pm
      I agree with the idea that we are light in midfield. That department in our team is a combination of very good players that are injured way too often (Thiago and Keita come to mind) with others who are good, but not good enough to carry that midfield on their own (Hendo and Milner come to mind), and finally some young lads who can't be expected to save us (Elliott, Jones, and Fabio all come to mind). Fabinho is a weird one because on his day he is top 3 CDMs in the world, but he has been super inconsistent for the past year or so and it seems to be a continuing trend.

A while back, in the ''scouting talk'' thread, I argued with someone (can't remember who) about our lack of action for a midfielder and that person made a very good point about the whole ''Jude is our target for next summer''. That person's point was that if Jude was our target then why did we try to go for Tchouameni at the beginning of the window. Quite simply, we need more than one midfielder in order to bolster that department. Arguably, we don't need two midfielders right now, but we need at least one. I personally think we were planning on offloading Ox, but his injury prevented the completion of any move. However, I have to wonder, why not bite the bullet for one season and get an extra body in midfield even if we are not capable of offloading a player from that dept? That player would obviously have to be someone we scouted and that is on our list of targets and not just some player people started barking about on Twitter. Yes, the wage bill will be inflated and you won't be able to offset the transfer fee with the money you receive from selling Ox, but the truth is that we have big creativity problems whenever Thiago is not on the pitch. Sure Keita offers something in that area, but the truth is that he is as injury prone as Thiago (if not more). I hope something is done before the window shuts, but I wouldn't hold my breath. With that said, I think the idea of banking on Elliott and Carvalho to slowly become more and more integral in our midfield and slowly offer us more and more creativity as the season goes by is not stupid either. We were 14 points behind in January last season so there's definitely time to integrate players into the team and see their contribution significantly increase as the months go by.

I also have to ask a question about the injuries. Last year Keita and especially Matip showed an incredible improvement when it comes to their fitness. I thought we finally found the correct recipe with those two (wont say ''magic'' because its nothing that will stop a c**t like Pogba from sending Keita back to the physio's room with a studs up challenge). Anybody has some insight into why all of a sudden we have 10 injuries creep up on us before the season had even started? Is something happening in the medical department?

With that said, I think that there is also a very big overreaction and there's 0 surprise about it. Whenever we get a couple of disappointing results in a row there is always a large chunk of the fanbase that comes out of the woodwork to say some of the most bleak stuff you can read and it was only going to be worse this time around when its the two first games of the season and twitter had been barking all summer about the midfield. We literally have about 10 injuries or so. Yes quite a few of those are in midfield, but you also have a ton of them in other departments like Jota, Bobby, Konate, Matip. No tittle run or season is completely derailed in the space of two or three game. It's a storm and we'll get through it.

First things first in situations like those is you need to focus on making your defense airtight. This is the base of our strength and the strength of any team who wins anything. You're having problems scoring goals, you've got creativity issues, etc. Solution? Make sure you don't concede anything every game in order to give a chance to our forwards to win us the game with one goal or two at most. This is something we didn't see against Fulham and Palace. On both occasions, one goal should've been sufficient to win the game. Bottom line is that beside the whole drama surrounding our midfield and the injuries is that we need to tighten up defensively in order to give ourselves a chance to navigate that rocky period while we wait for our injured to come back.   
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1771 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30569: Aug 17, 2022 03:53:52 pm
      Bu surely we need more than one midfielder? So we're meant to believe there's only one midfielder in the world for Liverpool fc?

Well klopp was happy enough before all of the niggly injuries.

We did add a new MF young Carvahlo.

If these guys keep getting injured, id expect a few new MF players during the next couple of windows.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #30570: Aug 17, 2022 05:49:37 pm
      Ultimately, the way I see it is stubborness and too much loyalty to certain players at the expense of further success. The amount of players we lose on a free transfer over the years when it's quite clear they will leave at the end of their contract is a bit daft (we can add Ox and potentially Keita into that list next summer, combined purchases of over Ā£80mill), when those players could be sold, get something for them and put the funds towards a replacement.

I feel like one of the big draws about Klopp as a  manager is willingness to work with players through issues (like injuries, poor form etc) rather then freeze/push them out. I think it refreshing but it can be annoying like as you said sometimes too much loyalty (particularly Naby) but I think this approach has shown to be successful and why he is a manager players want to play for.

That being said when player doesn't work out (been very few with Klopp) he should shoulder some of the blame as these are his players.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #30571: Aug 17, 2022 07:27:53 pm
      Season's two games old. :mad: :mad:
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #30572: Aug 17, 2022 07:35:55 pm

Whether it's two games, or twenty, we can clearly see there's a problem in midfield
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #30573: Aug 17, 2022 07:46:01 pm
      Since a few asked my source I'll quote without directly replying to anyone.

ā€œItā€™s easy for us to bring a midfielder in, itā€™s not so easy to bring the right midfielder in ā€“ for money reasons and contractual reasons,ā€ Klopp told Skyā€™s Emma Saunders. ā€œMost of the time they go hand in hand.

I think you are off the mark here. I'm assuming this a recent quote? The context of which means he's talking about adding Bellingham who right now for money reasons (those being he's under contract and Dortmund likely won't sell at all or for ridiculous money) isn't going anywhere. If people know (or perceive) you have a need, they can take advantage of you. There's plenty of stuff to beat FSG up over, our midfield isn't one of them. That's on Klopp.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #30574: Aug 17, 2022 07:52:23 pm
      We need to be bought out by a real Sugar Daddy to keep up.

End of.

While it's always romantic to want to do it the right way, we won't keep up if we don't.

That's the way it's going/gone.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3403 
      Reply #30575: Aug 17, 2022 08:07:54 pm

Or itā€™s the midfielder he wants and knows they will get him at some point - no different to VVD
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #30576: Aug 17, 2022 08:14:43 pm

Or itā€™s the midfielder he wants and knows they will get him at some point - no different to VVD

Ignoring the money bit? You asked for it so there it is
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #30577: Aug 17, 2022 08:16:08 pm
      I think you are off the mark here. I'm assuming this a recent quote? The context of which means he's talking about adding Bellingham who right now for money reasons (those being he's under contract and Dortmund likely won't sell at all or for ridiculous money) isn't going anywhere. If people know (or perceive) you have a need, they can take advantage of you. There's plenty of stuff to beat FSG up over, our midfield isn't one of them. That's on Klopp.

He said money and contractual. So both.

So money is an issue here. Not the only issue. But an issue. Indicating we don't have the money. But we're Ā£10m in the green? How does that figure?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30578: Aug 17, 2022 08:17:14 pm
      We need to be bought out by a real Sugar Daddy to keep up.

End of.

While it's always romantic to want to do it the right way, we won't keep up if we don't.

That's the way it's going/gone.

you can go back to the mediocre club Chelsea suddenly league title challenges with Money then City and now Newcastle add to that Arsenal have found the keys to the safe and times they are a changing.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3403 
      Reply #30579: Aug 17, 2022 08:23:27 pm
      Ignoring the money bit? You asked for it so there it is

Nothing is being ignored - he didnā€™t say we have no money to spend as you suggest

He just said what he always says - we wonā€™t over spend and the club will always act sensibly when it comes to spending
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #30580: Aug 17, 2022 08:42:50 pm

VVD was acquired by way of the sell to buy system.
      We have no viable players to sell in order to obtain a quality midfielder.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30581: Aug 17, 2022 08:46:27 pm

its the way it is mate and its how JĆ¼rgen feels comfortable he believes hard work is the best way to results not the cheque book which makes JH very happy indeed
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3403 
      Reply #30582: Aug 17, 2022 09:09:29 pm

Who cares how VVD arrived 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

And still with the old sell to buy sh*te

Do you ever get bored of it ?

Do you sit there and cry about the fact we sold Coutinho and then used to money to buy players to win the league and CL

Did you throw your dummy out when we sold Rush and used the money to buy Barnes , Beardsley and Aldo or when we sold Keegan and bought Kenny

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #30583: Aug 17, 2022 09:10:03 pm
      its the way it is mate and its how JĆ¼rgen feels comfortable he believes hard work is the best way to results not the cheque book which makes JH very happy indeed

Bear in mind JĆ¼rgen is the only manager on the planet who could have achieved what he has under the market players  mate.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #30584: Aug 17, 2022 09:11:38 pm

Who cares how VVD arrived 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

And still with the old sell to buy sh*te

Do you ever get bored of it ?

Do you sit there and cry about the fact we sold Coutinho and then used to money to buy players to win the league and CL

Did you throw your dummy out when we sold Rush and used the money to buy Barnes , Beardsley and Aldo or when we sold Keegan and bought Kenny

You ever get bored defending the indefensible??
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3403 
      Reply #30585: Aug 17, 2022 09:13:21 pm

Whatā€™s ā€œindefensibleā€ ?

A club thatā€™s run within its own financial boundaries and not having to rely on a rich billionaire to stand up the club

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #30586: Aug 17, 2022 09:56:45 pm

Whatā€™s ā€œindefensibleā€ ?

A club thatā€™s run within its own financial boundaries and not having to rely on a rich billionaire to stand up the club

A market players dream, guaranteed return, self-sustaining entity requiring no financial assistance whatever.
      Speaking of rich billionaires - ours are in Boston, Mass. It is rumoured .
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3403 
      Reply #30587: Aug 17, 2022 10:03:03 pm
      A market players dream, guaranteed return, self-sustaining entity requiring no financial assistance whatever.
      Speaking of rich billionaires - ours are in Boston, Mass. It is rumoured .

What is ā€œindefensibleā€ about how the club runs 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #30588: Aug 17, 2022 10:34:12 pm
      What is ā€œindefensibleā€ about how the club runs 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

Mate are you genuinely suggesting our addressing of squad needs is bang on the money?

You think our midfield doesn't need addressing?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #30589: Aug 17, 2022 10:37:26 pm

He hadnā€™t posted for ages but left the bat radar on for a post criticising FSG 🤭

Quick Reply