Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2766425 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #33442: Jun 20, 2023 11:32:37 am
      And for anyone quoting FFP just look at Chelsea they spent close on £500 million last season as Jim Royal would say FFP MY ARSE

Doesnt mean we should start breaking FFP rules, and put the club in financial risk.

Perhaps if FSG get some new investors that may appease some fans worries.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,000 posts | 3425 
      Reply #33443: Jun 20, 2023 11:51:21 am
      What we shall see in the next few seasons is us falling behind because of under investment Chelsea and United will be spending big and we will get left behind, thank god we have Klopp

Utd have spent big for the past decade - how did that work out for them ?

Chelsea spent beyond big as well - how did that work out as well
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,000 posts | 3425 
      Reply #33444: Jun 20, 2023 11:52:34 am
      And for anyone quoting FFP just look at Chelsea they spent close on £500 million last season as Jim Royal would say FFP MY ARSE

Chelsea Will amortise the fees over the length of the contract to ensure they don’t break FFP - irs why they have offered the players huge length contracts - it’s not just about the fee
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,008 posts | 3953 
      Reply #33445: Jun 20, 2023 11:52:56 am

They have consistently broken FA rules for years with no action taken, it's  something like 140 infringements to be addressed.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,000 posts | 3425 
      Reply #33446: Jun 20, 2023 11:55:24 am
      They have consistently broken FA rules for years with no action taken, it's  something like 140 infringements to be addressed.

Chelsea ? The same Chelsea that were given a transfer ban ?

Are you sure you don’t mean City
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,008 posts | 3953 
      Reply #33447: Jun 20, 2023 11:57:31 am
      Chelsea ? The same Chelsea that were given a transfer ban ?

Are you sure you don’t mean City

Has the transfer ban been implemented?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,000 posts | 3425 
      Reply #33448: Jun 20, 2023 11:59:19 am
      « Last Edit: Jun 20, 2023 12:10:22 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,008 posts | 3953 
      Reply #33449: Jun 20, 2023 12:11:14 pm
      For Chelsea ? Yes they were banned during the season Lampard was manager

The ban was reduced and served during the summer which in reality affected F**k all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50668975#:~:text=Chelsea%20can%20sign%20players%20in,Court%20of%20Arbitration%20for%20Sport.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,000 posts | 3425 
      Reply #33450: Jun 20, 2023 12:13:49 pm

But they were given a transfer ban 🤷‍♂️

And it’s also not 140 charges as you mentioned
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,295 posts | 770 
      Reply #33451: Jun 20, 2023 12:21:51 pm
      There is obviously a lot more to owning and running a football club than the buying and selling of players, more so with a club of our size and profile. When FSG took over, their priority was to stabilise the club, a reset after the Hicks/Gillette debacle. Few, if any would argue that we were better run before. In the relatively short period under FSG, whether by luck or precision planning(take your pick) we have witnessed and enjoyed a sustained level of performance with corresponding level of success. Over that same short period you could argue that the football landscape, at the elite level, has changed. The finances and investments behind a growing number of clubs are now colossal. FSG couldn't have foreseen this change, especially the pace at which it has come. This has undoubtedly caught them by surprise and brought with it a massive challenge...how can we remain competitive?....  This is why their first instinct was to seek additional investment.
      FSG, though far from skint, don't at present have the funds (..or more likely can't afford to risk spending those funds), to both invest in the infrastructure and the personnel, especially at the same time at the levels available to some of our rivals.
      This set of circumstances dictates that a more pragmatic, imaginative solution is needed. Supporters by and large are only interested in the football, the squad, the manager...the kit etc....and of course it's irritating watching other clubs spending vast amounts on players we seemingly can't afford. But it is what it is....we will continue to operate within our means, there will be the odd high value investment ie. Nunez, but don't expect multiple high value signings, there isn't the money. Unless FSG can attract significant investment we need to get used to it. We will see the club trying to cultivate younger players, possibly selling to buy etc. for some time to come.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #33452: Jun 20, 2023 12:47:49 pm
      FSG are not perfect obviously nobody is perfect. But they are not too bad, I actually like that they try and spend within their means and stick to the FFP rules.

As that guy says, there arnt many better owners out there, the main options are to be like man city and run by a bunch of rich princes\crooks. Not sure Im keen on that either.

We shall see over the coming seasons how we do compared to likes of newcastle and their new owners.

The moment we become state owned and part of the problem, my interest in the team and sport will definitely wane.

Built, not bought has always been more interesting and rewarding to me.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #33453: Jun 20, 2023 12:51:56 pm
      Doesnt mean we should start breaking FFP rules, and put the club in financial risk.

That will depend on what they are investors of. FSG is a portfolio of businesses, so any funds obtained from a sale of FSG will likely be used to expand the portfolio. They would need to seek LFC-only investors for the funds to go straight to the team in its entirety.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,008 posts | 3953 
      Reply #33454: Jun 20, 2023 01:07:42 pm
      But they were given a transfer ban 🤷‍♂️

And it’s also not 140 charges as you mentioned

The fact that it was reduced and implemented in an inconsequential time factor displays preferential treatment for whatever reason.

That must have been Citeh with the other matter.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #33455: Jun 20, 2023 01:14:49 pm
      The fact that it was reduced and implemented in an inconsequential time factor displays preferential treatment for whatever reason.

I'd hardly call the summer transfer window inconsequential.

It's literally the main window clubs use to buy players and prepare the the season ahead.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,000 posts | 3425 
      Reply #33456: Jun 20, 2023 01:29:51 pm

The summer transfer window is the main window to bring players in - of course it affected them

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #33457: Jun 20, 2023 01:33:32 pm
      Utd have spent big for the past decade - how did that work out for them ?

Chelsea spent beyond big as well - how did that work out as well

This is always a funny argument to me.

So because someone else doesn't have the ability to spot or integrate (or coach and manage) real talent when spending big, we shouldn't do it either?

That makes no sense. In fact, imagine with Klopp at the helm and the system we have in place for identifying talent, how far ahead of everyone else we would be if we spent the same as Chelsea, City, United, etc....

Just because someone else makes a hash of something, doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt to do it better than they did.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,295 posts | 770 
      Reply #33458: Jun 20, 2023 01:44:37 pm
      This is always a funny argument to me.

So because someone else doesn't have the ability to spot or integrate (or coach and manage) real talent when spending big, we shouldn't do it either?

That makes no sense. In fact, imagine with Klopp at the helm and the system we have in place for identifying talent, how far ahead of everyone else we would be if we spent the same as Chelsea, City, United, etc....

Just because someone else makes a hash of something, doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt to do it better than they did.
      Agree: Some clubs have poor records with valuations of players and overpay for duds, recruitment is always risky but as a general rule; you get what you pay for.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33459: Jun 20, 2023 01:45:41 pm
      The moment we become state owned and part of the problem, my interest in the team and sport will definitely wane.

Built, not bought has always been more interesting and rewarding to me.

agreed.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,000 posts | 3425 
      Reply #33460: Jun 20, 2023 02:21:12 pm
      Agree: Some clubs have poor records with valuations of players and overpay for duds, recruitment is always risky but as a general rule; you get what you pay for.

So it’s not just about spending big then

Hence the point - clubs have spent big and it’s been poor

It’s not a competition to see who can spend the most

It’s about spending the best and using what money you have available to fit your needs

We spend very well on the whole , we don’t and won’t have the level of funds some clubs have so we need to continue to recruit smartly
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #33461: Jun 20, 2023 02:37:05 pm

we don’t and won’t have the level of funds some clubs have

Simply not true. We have one of the highest revenue streams of any club in the world.

We've had Klopp himself saying that sometimes he wishes the owners would take more chances with expenditures. We should be spending more money than we do AND we should be doing it smartly.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,943 posts | 4999 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #33462: Jun 20, 2023 02:43:16 pm

Yep, that’s our best hope I believe, I too like how FSG run us, however they do need to perhaps just dig a little more into the amount of money we will need to sustain players coming thru the doors, ok fair enough that they refuse to part with upwards of £100m for individuals, that’s just plain crazy,  if you can get two, three or in for a similar amount, that makes more sense,

Their restrictions have let us fall further behind the oily lot, and compounded by the amounts available to Chavs, and inevitably Newcastle, so obviously only spending what we generate will be no where near enough, so perhaps new investors are indeed required for us to at least dine at the top table, we may need to use paper plates & plastic cutlery but if that brings about regular CL qualification and title challenges each and every season I’d settle for that,

I don’t think any of us can expect FSG to spend like the Fraudsters, Chavs, Newcastle etc, can, but at the same token FSG can’t expect to be dining at the top table if they rely on minimalist spending, it’s a two way street, having a 61,000 capacity will help obviously but that only begins this season coming, but we will still need more anyway,

We can all whinge & moan about our custodians, but I’d rather have them running us , than some dodgy sportswashed gulf state, with a dodgy human rights history, at the very very least we can say our monies are clean, without being laundered !!!

YNWA

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33463: Jun 20, 2023 03:15:36 pm

Yep, that’s our best hope I believe, I too like how FSG run us, however they do need to perhaps just dig a little more into the amount of money we will need to sustain players coming thru the doors, ok fair enough that they refuse to part with upwards of £100m for individuals, that’s just plain crazy,  if you can get two, three or in for a similar amount, that makes more sense,

Their restrictions have let us fall further behind the oily lot, and compounded by the amounts available to Chavs, and inevitably Newcastle, so obviously only spending what we generate will be no where near enough, so perhaps new investors are indeed required for us to at least dine at the top table, we may need to use paper plates & plastic cutlery but if that brings about regular CL qualification and title challenges each and every season I’d settle for that,

I don’t think any of us can expect FSG to spend like the Fraudsters, Chavs, Newcastle etc, can, but at the same token FSG can’t expect to be dining at the top table if they rely on minimalist spending, it’s a two way street, having a 61,000 capacity will help obviously but that only begins this season coming, but we will still need more anyway,

We can all whinge & moan about our custodians, but I’d rather have them running us , than some dodgy sportswashed gulf state, with a dodgy human rights history, at the very very least we can say our monies are clean, without being laundered !!!

YNWA

Yup. Agreed. defo.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #33464: Jun 20, 2023 08:51:24 pm
      I can't read the article but apparently there's a writeup in The Athletic about spending.

According to figures from The Athletic, Liverpool ranks 19th in the Premier League for net owner funding over the last five years at *minus* £37m.

We do have the 2nd highest wage bill (as of last year) and wages are a more direct correlation with winning sides than net spend on transfers. BUT...we have high wages because of our incentive laden contracts and our players had a couple of really good years where they hit a lot of markers and made a lot of money. I would be willing to wager that this coming year we won't be near the top of wages once we get Ox, Naby and Milner off the books and likely don't replace them with players on anything near what they are on.

Owners never said they would spend their own money, so you can't really play "gotcha" with them on that. But, it would be nice if they would leverage their own resources on things like Anfield renovation and new training grounds to allow the club to have a little bigger coffers for transfers. Not even saying we HAVE to always spend big in the transfer market, but it sure would be nice for that to be an option when a Bellingham or Gvardiol becomes available.

Quick Reply