Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2766457 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #20654: Aug 25, 2016 04:37:13 pm
      Remember wage bills being slashed and minus net spends prior to H&G sale to make us more attractive to buyers?

Maybe there's something in the China rumours ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #20655: Aug 25, 2016 04:53:48 pm
      Remember wage bills being slashed and minus net spends prior to H&G sale to make us more attractive to buyers?

Maybe there's something in the China rumours ?

Just when you thought you were out they pull you back in.

Better keep that Superfinancialman outfit and braces handy ;)
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #20656: Aug 25, 2016 09:26:18 pm
      Net spend -£7m I was told.

Loaning players to slash the wage bill as well.

F**k off you wankers.

Really disillusioned with things going on at the club at the moment.

They sure as hell know their stuff off the field by ramping up our sponsorship deals, but F**k me, if they think we're going to be competitive with such levels of prudence, then they are severely deluded.

Everyone goes on about Arsenal being too prudent, but they've shelled out a lot of money for individuals like Ozil or Sanchez.

Their financial acumen off the field is admirable, and the fact they have built a new stand and kept us at Anfield is worth high praise indeed, but I severely doubt their strategies for on the field. The only decent thing they've done in the last few years regarding on the pitch matters is hire Klopp.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #20657: Aug 26, 2016 08:31:31 am
      Won more silverware under Moore's than our previous & current owners ;)

It is just a pity that Moores could not emulate the greatest chairman this club ever had.John Smith was chairman from 1973 to 1990 and the most successfull chairman this club ever.His only failing was to hand over the chairmanship to Moores.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20658: Aug 27, 2016 08:21:49 am
      If you can't see by now how little on field success matters to FSG, then you've been we'll and truly taken in.
      We were, are and always will be nothing more than a business to them.
      Credit where its due, they have built the stand, and they did bring in a top manager, but its clear as day why.
      The money they will and save make from both the stand and Jurgens insistence on not spending huge sums is ultimately behind the decision for both being here today.
      I thank my lucky stars that there is a manager like Jürgen that can work magic with lesser players, because there is no other way we'll get glory days back at Anfield under FSG.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #20659: Aug 27, 2016 10:10:19 am
      I can see the statue being erected to FSG when they leave with the proud inscription "FSG they were not as bad as Hicks and Gillette".
      Its like choosing between dying of a heart attack or Cancer in the end the result is the same. The Liverpool we all knew the winning machine that despite not winning the league continued to put silverware in the trophy room has one league cup since 2006. the culture of winning has almost gone and in not replacing the likes Suarez, carragher  and Gerrard the vital element of a winning mentality is sadly missing. If you put those three players in this team at their peak we would challenge in every game we play.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #20660: Aug 27, 2016 02:37:48 pm
      Won more silverware under Moore's than our previous & current owners ;)

On a free fall along the way.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #20661: Aug 27, 2016 05:48:15 pm
      I can see the statue being erected to FSG when they leave with the proud inscription "FSG they were not as bad as Hicks and Gillette".
      Its like choosing between dying of a heart attack or Cancer in the end the result is the same. The Liverpool we all knew the winning machine that despite not winning the league continued to put silverware in the trophy room has one league cup since 2006. the culture of winning has almost gone and in not replacing the likes Suarez, carragher  and Gerrard the vital element of a winning mentality is sadly missing. If you put those three players in this team at their peak we would challenge in every game we play.

We're paying the price for Moore's running the club like a corner shop while arch-rivals United signed sponsorship deals left, right and centre. And, of course, the destruction caused by Hicks and Gillett is still a wound that is to be fully healed.

I think if FSG were our owners back in 1990, then they would have had the foresight and nous to increase our revenue streams, and we would have been rivalling Man Utd for profitability (and therefore be competitive in the transfer market). Of the three of owners since 1990, FSG are by far the best.

That's really not saying much however, considering how incompetent Moores was, and how fraudulent Hicks and Gillett were. But the simple fact is, if they don't have the capability to compete in the transfer market, then questions really do have to be asked. At the minute, we are balancing the books and cutting the wage budget, and every summer seems to be an overhaul of squad players who are not good enough. Judging by the book 'Soccernomics', our league positions correspond with the levels of spending - and currently five clubs spend more than us.

I don't know how FSG plan to take us into the big time again. We have the right manager I have no doubt, but it says a lot about Liverpool when the only household name associated with the whole club is the manager. There's no talisman figure in our squad anymore, no household name - surely the first time since the fifties it's been like this.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #20662: Aug 27, 2016 06:13:22 pm
      Moores won something like 11 Trophies in his 16 years hardly corner shop stuff and that includes a CL and a UEFA cup. I blame Parry more than Moores he was supposed to modernise the club I personally blame him for so much of what is wrong today. Interestingly the Moores family is worth approx. £1.5 billion not exactly small change. I have said from Day one FSG saw a business opportunity they had Zero interest in the club or the City and since day one they have been preparing the club for sale . We are in no-mans land neither going forward or backwards just stagnating mid league whilst they decide how to proceed next.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #20663: Aug 27, 2016 06:15:01 pm

he didn't take over until 1991 and brought in plenty of silverware including 3 European finals and two trophies give me silverware of
      Dunkin f***in donuts anyday
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #20664: Aug 27, 2016 06:35:16 pm
      Moores won something like 11 Trophies in his 16 years hardly corner shop stuff and that includes a CL and a UEFA cup. I blame Parry more than Moores he was supposed to modernise the club I personally blame him for so much of what is wrong today. Interestingly the Moores family is worth approx. £1.5 billion not exactly small change. I have said from Day one FSG saw a business opportunity they had Zero interest in the club or the City and since day one they have been preparing the club for sale . We are in no-mans land neither going forward or backwards just stagnating mid league whilst they decide how to proceed next.

It was up to Moores as the number one club with the highest status in England in the early 90s to capitalise on that and bring in all the sponsorships. He didn't do that and he allowed Man Utd to slip in the back door and allow them to modernise and sign sponsors. We then couldn't come close to their spending power - and who the F**k were Man Utd in comparison to our status in the early 90s?

That was the golden opportunity to maximise revenue, and therefore in turn, give us greater spending power. If he had done so, he may not have had to sell the club and we may have won numerous league titles since then.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #20665: Aug 28, 2016 04:58:58 pm
      If we are being honest here Fenway are out of their depth financially with the main players in the league. The Manchester clubs alone look like they have invested and invested well kicking on a gear from last season.

If we think that breaking even and thus standing still is the answer then their time here is long up. (I happen to think that even they themselves realise it isn't, perhaps they always knew that they couldn't truly compete)

We have to go with these clubs or we will be left with the Stokes, Southamptons and Evertons of this world scatching around for that magic formula to defying the odds. 'Leicester did it, so can we' and all that.

Give it a few more years of this and if Fenway are still here the calls for them to leave will grow a bit stronger i believe.

With Klopp at the helm, I think we've all dared to buy in to the philosophy but what happens when Klopp cannot scale the financial chasm? Will the illusion finally be seen for what it is?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #20666: Aug 28, 2016 05:03:26 pm
      It was up to Moores as the number one club with the highest status in England in the early 90s to capitalise on that and bring in all the sponsorships. He didn't do that and he allowed Man Utd to slip in the back door and allow them to modernise and sign sponsors. We then couldn't come close to their spending power - and who the f**k were Man Utd in comparison to our status in the early 90s?

That was the golden opportunity to maximise revenue, and therefore in turn, give us greater spending power. If he had done so, he may not have had to sell the club and we may have won numerous league titles since then.

its now 9 years since he left after two CL finals in three seasons how successful do you want to be we were number one in Europe. You just cant compare his ownership to those who have had the club for 9 years now just 1 league Cup F**k dunkin donuts or paddy f***in power just buy players who can play and who have guts.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #20667: Aug 28, 2016 05:19:35 pm
      its now 9 years since he left after two CL finals in three seasons how successful do you want to be we were number one in Europe. You just cant compare his ownership to those who have had the club for 9 years now just 1 league Cup f**k dunkin donuts or paddy f***in power just buy players who can play and who have guts.

But that's the crux of the matter walt - I don't think the owners have the money. It's the same old story unfortunately. I can see why some are wanting Chinese state billions in the club - The Anfield Wrap said similar as it is a massive dilemma. They were saying that the idea that you can 'beat the system' (e.g. overcome the big clubs) is becoming a lot more difficult with more money around - it's a fair point. Competent owners FSG may be compared to the last one but strong enough to win the Premier League? I myself have massive doubts now considering what everyone has said.

On top of flawed recruitment, I think they've overseen a squad overhaul which, ultimately, is not good enough. I do believe we have the right manager - but I don't believe our squad is better than the Man Utd, Chelsea, City, Arsenal or even Spurs. On top of that, our academy doesn't produce the likes of Gerrard, Carra, Owen or Fowler anymore. I honestly believe the academy produced similar standard starlets, we would have won much more.
      « Last Edit: Aug 28, 2016 05:33:05 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20668: Aug 28, 2016 05:26:06 pm
      If we are being honest here Fenway are out of their depth financially with the main players in the league. The Manchester clubs alone look like they have invested and invested well kicking on a gear from last season.

If we think that breaking even and thus standing still is the answer then their time here is long up. (I happen to think that even they themselves realise it isn't, perhaps they always knew that they couldn't truly compete)

We have to go with these clubs or we will be left with the Stokes, Southamptons and Evertons of this world scatching around for that magic formula to defying the odds. 'Leicester did it, so can we' and all that.

Give it a few more years of this and if Fenway are still here the calls for them to leave will grow a bit stronger i believe.

With Klopp at the helm, I think we've all dared to buy in to the philosophy but what happens when Klopp cannot scale the financial chasm? Will the illusion finally be seen for what it is?

Fenway couldn't give two fucks about competing with the Manc clubs or Chelsea, they are here for one reason and one reason only, to maximize the profit on their investment.
      How people think they are doing a good job, is beyond me.

So they've settled our finances, and built the stand, but are these things going to bring us a premier league title? Unless they lead to us being able to bid for the type of players that bring championships, (which FSG dont permit)  then the answer is no!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #20669: Aug 28, 2016 05:38:34 pm
      But that's the crux of the matter walt - I don't think the owners have the money. It's the same old story unfortunately. I can see why some are wanting Chinese state billions in the club - The Anfield Wrap said similar as it is a massive dilemma. They were saying that the idea that you can 'beat the system' (e.g. overcome the big clubs) is becoming a lot more difficult with more money around - it's a fair point. Competent owners FSG may be compared to the last one but strong enough to win the Premier League? I myself have massive doubts now considering what everyone has said.

On top of flawed recruitment, I think they've overseen a squad overhaul which, ultimately, is not good enough. I do believe we have the right manager - but I don't believe our squad is better than the Man Utd, Chelsea, City, Arsenal or even Spurs. On top of that, our academy doesn't produce the likes of Gerrard, Carra, Owen or Fowler anymore. I honestly believe the academy produced similar standard starlets, we would have won much more.

winning is the best way to bring in sponsors and better players maybe that simple statement is just too easy but that is it.You build a winning team and you keep improving it not selling its best assets. We are a mid table team 6th to 10th and if you want to see in practise what dumbing down expectations looks like just look how many people on this forum are happy with 4 points from 3 away games when it should have been at least 7.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20670: Aug 28, 2016 05:53:50 pm
      Klopp himself said he has plenty of money to spend.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20671: Aug 28, 2016 09:34:13 pm
      Klopp himself said he has plenty of money to spend.

I understand klopp is doing it the way Klopp always has, I just can't see us winning regular league titles that way.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #20672: Aug 28, 2016 10:17:25 pm
      I understand klopp is doing it the way Klopp always has, I just can't see us winning regular league titles that way.
      Yes but you aren't a football coach and as accomplished as Jürgen so you aren't allowed an opinion on the matter. ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20673: Aug 28, 2016 10:24:17 pm

Fair enough.
      His philosophy is one I admire, and I trust he knows his stuff, but I think you might be right when you say "regular" league titles.

Only time will tell, but one title would be a start and then take it from there :)
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #20674: Aug 29, 2016 08:11:32 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #20675: Aug 29, 2016 09:36:28 pm

FSG appointed Klopp for one reason only; he has managed a team previously and brought them a measure of success on a limited budget.

Make no mistake FSG are only interested in one ingredient of the above statement - a limited budget!!
      Klopp has the wherewithal to operate under limited financial parameters and achieve passable results.

FSG of course are well content with passable results for zero investment, can the same be said for the vast majority of supporters?? 

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #20676: Aug 29, 2016 09:44:46 pm
      FSG appointed Klopp for one reason only; he has managed a team previously and brought them a measure of success on a limited budget.

Make no mistake FSG are only interested in one ingredient of the above statement - a limited budget!!
      Klopp has the wherewithal to operate under limited financial parameters and achieve passable results.

FSG of course are well content with passable results for zero investment, can the same be said for the vast majority of supporters?? 

I'd go even further Stuey.

I think partial success - and the subsequent raising of expectations - has been damned inconvenient at times for them.......

Troubling if you ponder that for more than a moment.

Quick Reply