Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2807363 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #22655: Jun 15, 2017 07:49:02 am
      I'm looking forward to the FSG apologists - who I notice aren't as vocal as last summer - coming back in August to tell us we were wrong all along!

When FSG have shown the minimal acceptable amount of ambition for one of the biggest clubs in the world, the apologists will flood back to tell us how lucky we are that FSG barely kept their side of the bargain... again!

Of course, we won't see the much briefed first choice targets (do we ever?) but the apologists will be sure to point out Naby Keita isn't actually as good as the bang average lad we do sign. The same thing ever summer, then people act surprised when it all falls apart a few months into the season.

I look forward to you saying "we should have done this years ago" when we do sign quality players. Childish arguments I've come to expect from the impatient on here.

This is phase one of negotiations, chill out.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #22656: Jun 15, 2017 09:05:38 am
      hmm yes more average players that got us into the champions league that klopp and his men choose. do you know better than them??!
      It seem that unlike you I can tell what is average and what is not. Been saying it All Season that under Klopp we have been punching above our weight...

Ask you two questions... (1) How do you explain our form during January?...If you are going to put it down solely to missing Mane, then above average team would and could cope with the loss of a player... (2) The games against Southampton... 4 games and we could not beat them once much less score against them, Yes we are up for the big games, but so are all the other mid-table clubs when they play us... We have not got one "World Class" player in our Squad and as much as you or anyone else would like to believe it not even Coutinho is quiet there at present

If you had given Jürgen Klopp the management of City Chelsea,Arsenal, Spurs or Utd last season you would be looking at a manager who would have won the Title in his first season, and that is more of a testament to Klopp than the team...
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2017 09:11:13 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22657: Jun 15, 2017 10:27:28 pm
      I look forward to you saying "we should have done this years ago" when we do sign quality players. Childish arguments I've come to expect from the impatient on here.

This is phase one of negotiations, chill out.

It's early days yet, but Utd, Chelsea, City and even Everton are getting deals done. You talk about people being impatient Mags, maybe its because we're justifiably worried about the way we've went about our business so far, it's been embarrassing.
      If they really are going to back Klopp like you believe, then why wait? Van Dijk and Salah could both already have been signed, but we're to busy penny pinching and looking for cheaper options.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22658: Jun 15, 2017 10:45:15 pm
      It's early days yet, but Utd, Chelsea, City and even Everton are getting deals done. You talk about people being impatient Mags, maybe its because we're justifiably worried about the way we've went about our business so far, it's been embarrassing.
      If they really are going to back Klopp like you believe, then why wait? Van Dijk and Salah could both already have been signed, but we're to busy penny pinching and looking for cheaper options.

Yah Davey Klaassen & Jordon Pickford.. real dangerous signings that, £57 million well spent.

Maybe we should have picked them up....could have gotten them done pretty fast.
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2017 10:52:52 pm by AZPatriot »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #22659: Jun 15, 2017 11:00:44 pm
      Didn't really matter whether the players are who we would buy. The point is they identified targets and got the deals done. We identify targets and "monitor".  To my knowledge no one else is in for Salah and I don't see VVD being signed in our absence?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22660: Jun 15, 2017 11:03:18 pm
      I don't see VVD being signed in our absence?

Probably because after a cooling off period and an extra £10-15 million he will be coming to us.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22661: Jun 16, 2017 03:01:49 am
      Yah Davey Klaassen & Jordon Pickford.. real dangerous signings that, £57 million well spent.

Maybe we should have picked them up....could have gotten them done pretty fast.

Everton paid the asking price, that's why they got those guys. It's clear that we have no intention of doing likewise. Van Dijk won't be coming to us FSG don't spend big money on players, that's a fact.(except in baseball)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22662: Jun 16, 2017 03:35:19 am
      Everton paid the asking price, that's why they got those guys. It's clear that we have no intention of doing likewise. Van Dijk won't be coming to us FSG don't spend big money on players, that's a fact.(except in baseball)

Guess we will see come the end of the window won't we.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #22663: Jun 16, 2017 04:42:02 am
      Look, I'm pretty sure everyone is a Liverpool fan here through and through. So if we miss out on our first choice targets, I'm pretty sure that the "apologists" you refer to will also be disappointed with that fact.

Honestly, you'd think that.

But last summer was genuinely baffling. By August you had people swearing blind Wijnaldum wasn't a third choice. He absolutely was, yet instead of 'disappointment' at missing out on Klopp's first couple of targets we had a surprisingly common selective amnesia. It wasn't just with Wijnaldum, but it was an interesting example. Like when the Zielinksi deal collapsed - which it did - people were basically saying it was never on because it was an easier narrative to handle compared to the truth.

Now, my argument then (and still is) if Klopp wanted Dahoud and Zielinski and he ends up with his third choice it had shown that there was still an atmosphere of settling for lesser targets. At this stage I expect someone to say it's okay because Wijnaldum has been good, which he has but I honestly don't think you can continue to paint over failures to get 'top' targets. People will point to Mane over Gotze to say it isn't all bad... but again collective amnesia strikes!

We clearly went in heavily for Dembele who rejected us! It's been far too often this club has been dropping down the list of targets and who knows what that has cost us. We went in for Pulisic, Draxler, Brandt and now Salah since last summer. So to my mind, if you can't get Salah over the line - as we clearly need a wide forward with pace - you'd be talking about arguably 4-6th choice. As long as this is the norm, is it any wonder we under perform on what the fans crave?

Funny you say that the "apologists" have crawled back into their caves, and will flood back in when August hits, whilst on the other hand you yourself rarely ever post here.
      Two things on this:
      1. I started on this forum as a student and I lived in the UK, neither of those is still the case and that impacts my time available to post on here. Is that okay with you? I must say though, I enjoyed getting a dressing down from a poster I don't think I have never even noticed before!

2. Something which impacts my willingness to post is that if I do post anything that isn't group-think approved I piss people off. And if I have the temerity to post in threads in January about how I argued all summer we hadn't done enough... then you piss people off.

Take Mags post about me below. He'd be calling me a pr**k if I 'point out' I was right and if I don't post and 'point out' I was right then when I finally return you insinuate that my absence is somehow suspicious... the only way you can win is to agree with the crowd and then go with the crowd to incredulous when we turn out to not have the squad many thought. Honestly, the number of people pissing and moaning in matchday threads about the lack of squad, who last summer were acting holier than thou was fantastic! Yet apparently I am the one who grandstands!? For the record, if I wanted to be a pr**k I could have posted plenty of those replies I received last summer calling the squad fine and strong and then crying about the losses. But I am not interested in 'purely' point scoring. I'm interested to showing people the massive faults in our transfer strategy. I'd rather just continue to have my own opinion and not be pressured into total silence. I don't mind if you don't agree with me on transfers, I just found it interesting reading the same posters who had a pop all summer then agree entirely when the sh*t hit the fan! Let's be honest, it's not like saying the squad was thin was a genius thought only I had. It was pretty F***ing obvious to plenty on here.

As for the "average guy better than Naby Keita", you do know that its not all buyer's fault if the player doesn't come here. Perhaps they just don't want to sell him, or perhaps just like he himself has said that he would only discuss his future when he comes back from his holiday. For example, you must be knowing about Real Madrid? The one who signs players left, right and center. Remind me as to what took them so long to sign David f**king De Gea? which they still haven't. Or is it that the club won't sell to them, just like we did with Suarez in 2013. And why would "apologists" call the "average guy" better, if he is really average literally? Explain that logic to me, please.

I need you to clarify this, I don't follow what you actually want me to explain. Other than to say if there were one or two examples of us not getting our man and settling then I'd agree.

But the list of public transfers sagas ending in disappointment are too  many and the explanations briefed are too clear to pretend there isn't a patter... either that or we are the unluckiest team ever.

Willian
      Salah
      Mhkytarian
      Costa
      Konoplyanka
      Dahoud

I can't be arsed to reargue these, maybe you think we just gosh darn it lucked out. But I just don't buy into the idea Liverpool are repeatedly encountering clubs who 'wont' sell under any circumstances! Those clubs would sell, but we just won't make them... like when teams make us sell when they come for our big boys!

The problem with owners who don't know football is they can't have any vision. It's been obvious for years that wages and transfer inflation in England compared to the rest would mean if you want top players then there are no "bargains" left.

You could see it in the talk of "biggest summer ever" in the press. "Liverpool to spend 150m" talk was clearly briefed, it came from numerous sources in a short space of time.

Our owners think we will all be impressed by 150m spend, but its clear as day anyone we can to compete with will go close or higher!

Thats now the norm not the exception. So 12m for Pulisic isn't savvy, it's stupid.

Its 15 June, 2.5 months still left before the window f**king closes, 15 days till the window actually opens. Why not take a chill pill, and let things actually happen before making assumptions about what will happen in the future?

Again, every FSG summer... the same thing.

"Don't worry it's only May"
      "Don't worry it's only June"
      "Don't worry it's only July"
      "Don't worry it's only August"
      "Theres always January!"

I really hoped this summer was gonna be different. I was finally going to believe in the press briefings, this year would maybe be different!!

Then the club tried to be too clever on Van Dijk and were publicly humiliated by a midtable club. It showed they really haven't learned a f**king thing about this quest for "value" that ends up being counter productive if you continually end up never getting your top choice.

The owners of this club are adequate.

They are okay, they do some stuff well and some stuff badly. Saving us from administration, finally building the Main Stand and improving the commercial aspects of the club aren't some achievements to be placed on a pedestal, they are exactly what any non fraudulent owner would have done. I'm not saying FSG are awful, but they quite clearly dragged their feet after realising what it would actually take to have us compete.

For any off the field successes, as well as considerable PR failures, they have presided over a extremely barren period for this club, trying numerous different ways of coming up with a magic rabbit from the hat. We simply have not been adequately competitive since they bought us over, at this stage if you can't see the problem is systemic then I really don't know how it make it clear.

The fact is the lack the resources to make us compete with the oligarch clubs, most people realise that now. But what people still don't realise is that this the resource restrictions placed on the club and various versions of the transfer strategy are not 'all' Liverpool can be doing to compete.

If the penny really has dropped regarding the club and wages & transfers, the Van Dijk fiasco looked remarkably like a blast from the penny pinching past. This anemic version of Liverpool is less than the best we can be, I think the reason so many get defensive about FSG is because deep down they know this but don't want to deal with the truth.
      « Last Edit: Jun 16, 2017 06:42:42 am by KS67 »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22664: Jun 16, 2017 05:51:27 am

They are consistent, that's the one thing FSG and you have in common.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #22665: Jun 16, 2017 06:07:35 am
      They are consistent, that's the one thing FSG and you have in common.

Well, that makes three of us!

« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2017 06:17:21 am by KS67 »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #22666: Jun 16, 2017 06:15:25 am
      i don't really get why people are sooking about little things the media is playing them with every day. perhaps you long for the days where the club was inches from administration? you seem to love whining so you probably miss whining about the big stuff, which is why you whine about ridiculous sh*t like Wisdom's fee.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #22667: Jun 16, 2017 06:22:40 am
      It seem that unlike you I can tell what is average and what is not. Been saying it All Season that under Klopp we have been punching above our weight...

Ask you two questions... (1) How do you explain our form during January?...If you are going to put it down solely to missing Mane, then above average team would and could cope with the loss of a player... (2) The games against Southampton... 4 games and we could not beat them once much less score against them, Yes we are up for the big games, but so are all the other mid-table clubs when they play us... We have not got one "World Class" player in our Squad and as much as you or anyone else would like to believe it not even Coutinho is quiet there at present

If you had given Jürgen Klopp the management of City Chelsea,Arsenal, Spurs or Utd last season you would be looking at a manager who would have won the Title in his first season, and that is more of a testament to Klopp than the team...

who gives a sh*t what you or I label players, be it average or world class, if they perform for us?

who cares if we punched above our weight if we got there?

who cares is nobody is labelled world class? you probably said "we can't get top 4 without a world class player" at one point.

i don't even really get your points about Klopp managing elsewhere and bringing up Southampton.

i don't give a sh*t who we sign or how much they cost or anything, Klopp is here to get the most out of the players signed, he's not going to get his #1 target every window, maybe he'll never get his #1 target, who gives a sh*t? people think they know who our number 1 target is because they read it in the Echo, so when we don't sign this player they use it as ammunition against the owners. you're just getting played by the media. it doesn't actually matter once the football starts.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #22668: Jun 16, 2017 06:41:39 am
      who gives a sh*t what you or I label players, be it average or world class, if they perform for us?

who cares if we punched above our weight if we got there?

who cares is nobody is labelled world class? you probably said "we can't get top 4 without a world class player" at one point.

i don't even really get your points about Klopp managing elsewhere and bringing up Southampton.

i don't give a sh*t who we sign or how much they cost or anything, Klopp is here to get the most out of the players signed, he's not going to get his #1 target every window, maybe he'll never get his #1 target, who gives a sh*t? people think they know who our number 1 target is because they read it in the Echo, so when we don't sign this player they use it as ammunition against the owners. you're just getting played by the media. it doesn't actually matter once the football starts.

There is so much wrong with that post I don't even know where to begin.

You just carry on not caring.

Honest to F***ing God.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #22669: Jun 16, 2017 07:01:07 am

Because we need to get the best deal mate. We don't have a bottomless pit like United or City. 10 million saved on Salah is 10 million we put into someone else. I'm certainly not upset we're not paying 40 million for a proven Premier League flop who may not even start for us. We're quite right to stand our ground, Klopp has said many times he won't be held to ransom so I think this is just as much him as the owners.

It's not so long ago people complained about us overspending. We just went out and got our targets no matter what the price... and we ended up with Adam, Downing and Carroll at inflated prices because we rushed it.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #22670: Jun 16, 2017 07:07:03 am
      There is so much wrong with that post I don't even know where to begin.

You just carry on not caring.

Honest to f**king God.

i just don't get why men who have followed the same cycle every year for over 2 decades still get played by the echo's "betting odds" and ridiculous sh*t like that. overreacting on internet forums because the hot player of the month they've been reading about didn't get signed on june 14, 2017, when they heard it was close to a done deal. it's like you guys somehow forget everything for 2 months of the season and then when the footy starts again you wake up from this absurdly stupid dreamland.

again who gives a sh*t, it's all bullshit to create discontent between the fans and the owners, all over dumb sh*t. i don't get why liverpudlians get played for 2 months a year by the same rags they say they don't trust for 10 months a year. it really confuses me. people think they're smart and they're following the game because they adopt this false opinion that the owners aren't backing the boss and they use that as ammo, like they're for the club by being against the owners, even though the owners are on our side.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #22671: Jun 16, 2017 07:12:22 am
      i just don't get why men who have followed the same cycle every year for over 2 decades still get played by the echo's "betting odds" and ridiculous sh*t like that. overreacting on internet forums because the hot player of the month they've been reading about didn't get signed on june 14, 2017, when they heard it was close to a done deal. it's like you guys somehow forget everything for 2 months of the season and then when the footy starts again you wake up from this absurdly stupid dreamland.

again who gives a sh*t, it's all bullshit to create discontent between the fans and the owners, all over dumb sh*t. i don't get why liverpudlians get played for 2 months a year by the same rags they say they don't trust for 10 months a year. it really confuses me. people think they're smart and they're following the game because they adopt this false opinion that the owners aren't backing the boss and they use that as ammo, like they're for the club by being against the owners, even though the owners are on our side.

I agree mate. Like I've said before, I think a lot of this has an underlying psychological problem with authority in general. My money is on the more aggressively anti FSG the person is, the more they hate their boss at work or have issues with authority or people 'above' them. May not be the case at all but just a guess.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #22672: Jun 16, 2017 07:16:46 am
      I agree mate. Like I've said before, I think a lot of this has an underlying psychological problem with authority in general. My money is on the more aggressively anti FSG the person is, the more they hate their boss at work or have issues with authority or people 'above' them. May not be the case at all but just a guess.

So, if you're aggressively pro FSG then you absolutely love being 'under' your boss?

Proper Freudian stuff!
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #22673: Jun 16, 2017 07:45:37 am
      So, if you're aggressively pro FSG then you absolutely love being 'under' your boss?

Proper Freudian stuff!

Haha! Don't particularly want to be over Mr Henry... Mrs Henry on the other hand...
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #22674: Jun 16, 2017 08:55:07 am
      Speaking to my brother yesterday and he told me his mate ( who works in Anfield ITK )  was telling him that the gossip around the office is that FSG had no intention of paying £ 50 Mil on a CB and were hoping a bidding war would start for VVD with City and Chelsea.

Apparently Klopps fuming and a bit of tension is developing . Listen , you can make what you want of it but this lad always gets it spot on .
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22675: Jun 16, 2017 09:44:40 am
      The post from KS67 on the previous page is the best I've read on this subject.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,665 posts | 491 
      Reply #22676: Jun 16, 2017 09:45:01 am

But last summer was genuinely baffling. By August you had people swearing blind Wijnaldum wasn't a third choice. He absolutely was, yet instead of 'disappointment' at missing out on Klopp's first couple of targets we had a surprisingly common selective amnesia. It wasn't just with Wijnaldum, but it was an interesting example. Like when the Zielinksi deal collapsed - which it did - people were basically saying it was never on because it was an easier narrative to handle compared to the truth.

Now, my argument then (and still is) if Klopp wanted Dahoud and Zielinski and he ends up with his third choice it had shown that there was still an atmosphere of settling for lesser targets. At this stage I expect someone to say it's okay because Wijnaldum has been good, which he has but I honestly don't think you can continue to paint over failures to get 'top' targets. People will point to Mane over Gotze to say it isn't all bad... but again collective amnesia strikes!

We clearly went in heavily for Dembele who rejected us! It's been far too often this club has been dropping down the list of targets and who knows what that has cost us. We went in for Pulisic, Draxler, Brandt and now Salah since last summer. So to my mind, if you can't get Salah over the line - as we clearly need a wide forward with pace - you'd be talking about arguably 4-6th choice. As long as this is the norm, is it any wonder we under perform on what the fans crave?
      Two things on this:
      1. I started on this forum as a student and I lived in the UK, neither of those is still the case and that impacts my time available to post on here. Is that okay with you? I must say though, I enjoyed getting a dressing down from a poster I don't think I have never even noticed before!

2. Something which impacts my willingness to post is that if I do post anything that isn't group-think approved I piss people off. And if I have the temerity to post in threads in January about how I argued all summer we hadn't done enough... then you piss people off.

Take Mags post about me below. He'd be calling me a pr**k if I 'point out' I was right and if I don't post and 'point out' I was right then when I finally return you insinuate that my absence is somehow suspicious... the only way you can win is to agree with the crowd and then go with the crowd to incredulous when we turn out to not have the squad many thought. Honestly, the number of people pissing and moaning in matchday threads about the lack of squad, who last summer were acting holier than thou was fantastic! Yet apparently I am the one who grandstands!? For the record, if I wanted to be a pr**k I could have posted plenty of those replies I received last summer calling the squad fine and strong and then crying about the losses. But I am not interested in 'purely' point scoring. I'm interested to showing people the massive faults in our transfer strategy. I'd rather just continue to have my own opinion and not be pressured into total silence. I don't mind if you don't agree with me on transfers, I just found it interesting reading the same posters who had a pop all summer then agree entirely when the sh*t hit the fan! Let's be honest, it's not like saying the squad was thin was a genius thought only I had. It was pretty f**king obvious to plenty on here.

I need you to clarify this, I don't follow what you actually want me to explain. Other than to say if there were one or two examples of us not getting our man and settling then I'd agree.

But the list of public transfers sagas ending in disappointment are too  many and the explanations briefed are too clear to pretend there isn't a patter... either that or we are the unluckiest team ever.

Willian
      Salah
      Mhkytarian
      Costa
      Konoplyanka
      Dahoud

I can't be arsed to reargue these, maybe you think we just gosh darn it lucked out. But I just don't buy into the idea Liverpool are repeatedly encountering clubs who 'wont' sell under any circumstances! Those clubs would sell, but we just won't make them... like when teams make us sell when they come for our big boys!

The problem with owners who don't know football is they can't have any vision. It's been obvious for years that wages and transfer inflation in England compared to the rest would mean if you want top players then there are no "bargains" left.

You could see it in the talk of "biggest summer ever" in the press. "Liverpool to spend 150m" talk was clearly briefed, it came from numerous sources in a short space of time.

Our owners think we will all be impressed by 150m spend, but its clear as day anyone we can to compete with will go close or higher!

Thats now the norm not the exception. So 12m for Pulisic isn't savvy, it's stupid.

"Theres always January!"

I really hoped this summer was gonna be different. I was finally going to believe in the press briefings, this year would maybe be different!!

Then the club tried to be too clever on Van Dijk and were publicly humiliated by a midtable club. It showed they really haven't learned a f**king thing about this quest for "value" that ends up being counter productive if you continually end up never getting your top choice.

They are okay, they do some stuff well and some stuff badly. Saving us from administration, finally building the Main Stand and improving the commercial aspects of the club aren't some achievements to be placed on a pedestal, they are exactly what any non fraudulent owner would have done. I'm not saying FSG are awful, but they quite clearly dragged their feet after realising what it would actually take to have us compete.

For any off the field successes, as well as considerable PR failures, they have presided over a extremely barren period for this club, trying numerous different ways of coming up with a magic rabbit from the hat. We simply have not been adequately competitive since they bought us over, at this stage if you can't see the problem is systemic then I really don't know how it make it clear.

The fact is the lack the resources to make us compete with the oligarch clubs, most people realise that now. But what people still don't realise is that this the resource restrictions placed on the club and various versions of the transfer strategy are not 'all' Liverpool can be doing to compete.

If the penny really has dropped regarding the club and wages & transfers, the Van Dijk fiasco looked remarkably like a blast from the penny pinching past. This anemic version of Liverpool is less than the best we can be, I think the reason so many get defensive about FSG is because deep down they know this but don't want to deal with the truth.

Well, thats quite a good(great) response. I give you that. Look I get what you are saying about the last years' deals. I believe we were a bit lucky that we never got Gotze, seeing as he is infinitely suspended from playing due to health problems. As for the our other targets, I think we still did a good job in the transfer market last summer, regardless of our missing of our top targets. So, it all depends on this - if we miss out on top targets, how good our replacements are going to be? If they are similar to the last summer, then I'm pretty sure, this will be over looked in leu with us having gotten great players, but if they are going to be similar to Rodgers' CL season, then we will fail.

As you say that you are a student, I think that explains it as to why you don't post often, but by that logic, the people who don't post often might be a bit busy too. Its not that anyone's going hide somewhere, as a forum is hardly a boxing arena  ;D. Look, I'm not trying to give a dressing down or anything. I just dis-agreed with what you said in your last post.

On your third point, you said - "the apologists will be sure to point out Naby Keita isn't actually as good as the bang average lad we do sign." This is what I wanted you to explain, as to how someone will actually call an average guy better than his better counter part.

I do think that this is probably the last summer for them to show their ambition, as there is just nowhere to hide for them now. As we have all 3 factors this window.

1. A world class manager.
      2. Champions League.
      3. A load of T.V. money, and last years budget.

I'd prefer if we wait till the end of August, to see where we are headed, if its the same as Rodger's CL season, the crowd will turn on FSG, as the above 3 factors aren't going to come soon enough for them under the way they operate, given we fail this summer window. But, still there is a load of time, lets see what happens.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #22677: Jun 16, 2017 01:20:23 pm

Two things on this:

Take Mags post about me below. He'd be calling me a pr**k if I 'point out' I was right and if I don't post and 'point out' I was right then when I finally return you insinuate that my absence is somehow suspicious... the only way you can win is to agree with the crowd and then go with the crowd to incredulous when we turn out to not have the squad many thought. Honestly, the number of people pissing and moaning in matchday threads about the lack of squad, who last summer were acting holier than thou was fantastic! Yet apparently I am the one who grandstands!? For the record, if I wanted to be a pr**k I could have posted plenty of those replies I received last summer calling the squad fine and strong and then crying about the losses. But I am not interested in 'purely' point scoring. I'm interested to showing people the massive faults in our transfer strategy. I'd rather just continue to have my own opinion and not be pressured into total silence. I don't mind if you don't agree with me on transfers, I just found it interesting reading the same posters who had a pop all summer then agree entirely when the sh*t hit the fan! Let's be honest, it's not like saying the squad was thin was a genius thought only I had. It was pretty f**king obvious to plenty on here.

Willian
      Salah
      Mhkytarian
      Costa
      Konoplyanka
      Dahoud

"Theres always January!"

On many of your points I agree with you but since Klopp has come in our approach to transfers has most certainly changed, it is nowhere near like the old days of one for the stats guy, one for the manager and one for the investment team. Each signing has a clear objective, either a place in the first team or improving squad depth in vital areas.

Secondly, I don't agree where you say we've got 2nd, 3rd or even 6th choice players simply by looking at who we got. Matip, while 'free' was most certainly a priority target and you can see why. The debate about Goetze amuses me because Jürgen pulled the plug first, he basically asked to have a look and didn't like what he saw, how that is sold as 'first choice' is nonsense. So Mane was our first choice imo and again you can see why. Karius was clearly bought to start, that hasn't worked out right now but it was clear Jürgen saw him as 'his guy' he treated him as such when he arrived and to Migs credit he has improved and now we have two keeper's competing honestly for the starting role. You can argue the quality of both but at least competition for the place is there, something we've long asked for rather than the drop from starter to reserve being monumental. Again, I didn't hear us linked to any other keepers so to me, rightly or wrongly, Karius was first choice.

Now where you lose me further is trying to put the VVD saga under penny pinching? Considering we were reported to be prepared to pay £50m+ I'm not sure where you're getting that impression. To me we've just been far too mouthy to journo's who've gone around parading VVD as our player before we've even spoken to the Saints. Amateurish, absolutely, but penny pinching, I can't agree there. To me it's most likely a mistake of Michael Edwards leaking too much info, either personally or by proxy, to his horde of arse licking journo's and I personally hope this bite in the arse teaches FSG a lesson or two about how to deal with that side of things, but I wont hold my breath on that one.

For the rest of the summer though, I'm still very hopeful that we'll get Jürgen's top targets and the progress from last season will continue apace.

Quick Reply