Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2765716 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #23138: Sep 01, 2017 12:04:12 pm
      Again, how is it FSG's fault that Klopp fixated on one CB and didn't want any other?

Can a single one of you explain that, or is it just a bit inconvenient?

Swab man.....yesterday I would have been happy to drag this sh*t on and argue the toss with you for hours but I cant be fu**ed today.

Its not about having 1 target its the whole way we do things under FSG.

Your a businessman with a corporate box I understand so I get you see things from an owners point of view.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23139: Sep 01, 2017 12:15:10 pm
      Swab man.....yesterday I would have been happy to drag this sh*t on and argue the toss with you for hours but I cant be fu**ed today.

Its not about having 1 target its the whole way we do things under FSG.

Your a businessman with a corporate box I understand so I get you see things from an owners point of view.

I'm reasonably happy with that window.
      Not great, but not bad either, and the squad is stronger.
      There's only really one weak area, but it seems Klopp doesn't see it as being as weak as some do (including me)

It's not about seeing things from any point of view, to me it's a realistic assessment.

I honestly don't know why people follow twitter, and pin their hopes on so called ITK's all summer.
      It's just a recipe for a downer if you believe even half the stuff that gets written or posted or whatever.
      Why on earth would people do that to themselves?
      It's called "silly season" for a reason.

It's over until January madness starts, so just kick back and enjoy the ride :)
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 12:21:20 pm by Swab »
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 238 
      Reply #23140: Sep 01, 2017 12:24:55 pm

I think United have done some good business. They had 2 problems last season:
      1. Inability to score goals against the "smaller" teams which resulted in a lot of draws
      2. Poor record against the "big" six

So, they have bought Lukaku whose record against the "smaller" teams is exceptional. And, they bought Matic so that they could play double pivot against the "big" teams.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23141: Sep 01, 2017 12:28:24 pm
      1. Inability to score goals against the "smaller" teams which resulted in a lot of draws

So, they have bought Lukaku whose record against the "smaller" teams is exceptional. And, they bought Matic so that they could play double pivot against the "big" teams.

Fair point, but they wanted Morata as first choice by all accounts, and ended up with Lukaku, so even with what appears a good window they've had to change plans.
      I'm still gobsmacked chelsea let Matic go there.
      Un F***ing believable.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 238 
      Reply #23142: Sep 01, 2017 12:33:39 pm
      Fair point, but they wanted Morata as first choice by all accounts, and ended up with Lukaku, so even with what appears a good window they've had to change plans.
      I'm still gobsmacked chelsea let Matic go there.
      Un f**king believable.

Actually, Lukaku is the third choice striker. They wanted Griezmann as their first choice striker. I guess that is what people (including me) are a little frustrated - the obsession with that one player and the lack of flexibility to look at alternate options. If there was only plan A, you go all out to make sure that plan A works and not F**k up by issuing an apology and wait for an invitation from the selling club to bid for their player. The player who wanted to play for us did his part (not right by any means). Also, Matip has a poor injury record and if he gets injured (God forbid) the back is very light.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23143: Sep 01, 2017 12:37:21 pm
      Actually, Lukaku is the third choice striker. They wanted Griezmann as their first choice striker. I guess that is what people (including me) are a little frustrated - the obsession with that one player and the lack of flexibility to look at alternate options. If there was only plan A, you go all out to make sure that plan A works and not F**k up by issuing an apology and wait for an invitation from the selling club to bid for their player. The player who wanted to play for us did his part (not right by any means). Also, Matip has a poor injury record and if he gets injured (God forbid) the back is very light.

Yep, my bad, 3rd choice.

I'm puzzled by the whole VvD thing as well, but it seems Klopp wanted that player or no one.
      I can't figure it out.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 238 
      Reply #23144: Sep 01, 2017 12:42:26 pm
      Yep, my bad, 3rd choice.

I'm puzzled by the whole VvD thing as well, but it seems Klopp wanted that player or no one.
      I can't figure it out.

I am really curious to know the inside story (if there is one). This is a world class CB we are talking about and clubs are willing to bid 30 mn for Johny Evans. But, no one seems to have bid (even LFC) for VvD. Right from VvD's conversation with his board, Southampton's sale to new owners, VvD's transfer request, Klopp tapping him up, our apology..And, after all this it seems like the relationship between the Southampton board and LFC board is very cordial. It is all very puzzling.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #23145: Sep 01, 2017 12:43:22 pm

Well lets maybe wait until they, Manure, play a big team because so far they've played sh*t teams. I thought Leicester might put up a bit of a fight but they kind of rolled over as well.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #23146: Sep 01, 2017 12:45:29 pm
      Actually, Lukaku is the third choice striker. They wanted Griezmann as their first choice striker. I guess that is what people (including me) are a little frustrated - the obsession with that one player and the lack of flexibility to look at alternate options. If there was only plan A, you go all out to make sure that plan A works and not f**k up by issuing an apology and wait for an invitation from the selling club to bid for their player. The player who wanted to play for us did his part (not right by any means). Also, Matip has a poor injury record and if he gets injured (God forbid) the back is very light.

Well your frustration needs to be directed at Klopp rather than the owners. All the owners can do is make funds available and that they have done, if we then can;t get the targets then that is becuase targets aren't available or bad negotiations but in any case its the club's and manager's responsibility to have multiple targets, NOT the owners.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23147: Sep 01, 2017 12:45:32 pm
      I am really curious to know the inside story (if there is one). This is a world class CB we are talking about and clubs are willing to bid 30 mn for Johny Evans. But, no one seems to have bid (even LFC) for VvD. Right from VvD's conversation with his board, Southampton's sale to new owners, VvD's transfer request, Klopp tapping him up, our apology..And, after all this it seems like the relationship between the Southampton board and LFC board is very cordial. It is all very puzzling.

They're professionals mate, they don't let petty grudges get in the way, it's just business.

I know a lot of people have trouble getting their heads round it, but remember these guys (and girls) see each other all the time, go to the same seminars, functions, social events etc

It's like when you see politicians shouting at each other in Parliament, and then they're having a drink and a chat afterwards.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #23148: Sep 01, 2017 12:46:50 pm
      Salah
      Keita (we did want we could)
      Robertson
      Solanke (Klopp was influenced by our scouts, was not his target)
      Alex OC
      And of those listed above who will be regular starters...?  Plus the fact that we needed a CB why did we wasted the money on the Ox instead of going all out to sign VVD or another CB...?

Salah, Keita and Robertson for sure and maybe Alex so almost all.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #23149: Sep 01, 2017 12:48:50 pm
      They're professionals mate, they don't let petty grudges get in the way, it's just business.

I know a lot of people have trouble getting their heads round it, but remember these guys (and girls) see each other all the time, go to the same seminars, functions, social events etc

It's like when you see politicians shouting at each other in Parliament, and then they're having a drink and a chat afterwards.

Not sure i agree in the case of Southampton, the only way that one makes any sense to me is if Southampton have just dug their heels in and out of sheer bloody mindedness and spite refused to sell VVD to anyone, irrespective of fee offered. It is incredibly stupid of them and if I was a player I wouldn't touch Southampton with a bloody bargepole.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #23150: Sep 01, 2017 12:49:51 pm
      Salah, Keita and Robertson for sure and maybe Alex so almost all.

Plus I think Solanke will get a decent amount of games as well, certainly in cups and in case of emergency, he is effectively 3rd choice striker I think.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 238 
      Reply #23151: Sep 01, 2017 12:59:32 pm
      Well lets maybe wait until they, Manure, play a big team because so far they've played sh*t teams. I thought Leicester might put up a bit of a fight but they kind of rolled over as well.

Herrera hasn't played in any of these games. And, yes, I want them to suck big time.

Well your frustration needs to be directed at Klopp rather than the owners. All the owners can do is make funds available and that they have done, if we then can;t get the targets then that is becuase targets aren't available or bad negotiations but in any case its the club's and manager's responsibility to have multiple targets, NOT the owners.

You can put it in whatever way you want to, but, the responsibility is collective. At the end of the day, the squad is a little weak at the back because we sold 2 CBs (one of which was make shift and one was not unwanted) and bought none which is what I am concerned about.

No, I understand. As someone pointed out in another thread all we can hope at the moment is that we get him in Jan and nobody gets injured (and has brain farts on the field) in the meanwhile. Bascombe has suggested that we will be back for Lemar and VvD in January. If so, that will be the next best Jan window (albeit, expensive) after the one in which we got Coutinho and Sturridge.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #23152: Sep 01, 2017 01:03:57 pm
      FSG are this largest divisive factor for this football club. For that reason alone I wouldn't be sad to see the back of them.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #23153: Sep 01, 2017 01:36:36 pm
      At least they have signed a back up CB, Have we...? and no matter(with in reason) what a players has done off the field we are talking about what they can do on the field are we not...? in that respect both Everton and Spurs have improved their squads

I know I wouldn't be too happy if Aurier walked into a dressing room, wonder what it'll do for moral.

Let's see how they do, I'm guessing we'll be ahead of both, if you think otherwise feel free to go buy a white or blue top
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #23154: Sep 01, 2017 01:43:15 pm
      Truth be known nobody knows how successful this window will have been for anyone until Xmas.

This is very true.  Although the analysis of the situation may be sooner if Lovren oggs from a Man City corner next week! ;)
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #23155: Sep 01, 2017 01:57:45 pm
      FSG are this largest divisive factor for this football club. For that reason alone I wouldn't be sad to see the back of them.

Unless another sheikh pops up from the dunes of Abu Dhabi, or a Chinese billionaire fancies a new plaything I think we need to get used to FSG, who they are and how they operate.

They are investors and will not pour cash in like Abramovich, or get state owned airlines to sponsor the club for a ridiculous fee a la PSG.

The money to buy was there this summer, and for whatever reason we didn't use it all. That might be Edwards, Klopps or FSGs fault (my guess is all 3) but one thing is clear the money was there, and that poll about our interest being a PR stunt was a good indication of what people on here think of our owners.

So ultimately if we were to see the back of them, we'd better hope we end up with the Abu Dhabi's of the world, and not another FSG, or Fowler forbid, a Hicks and Gillett type. Even then, do you really want to buy your way to the top?  ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #23156: Sep 01, 2017 02:18:45 pm
      That's just plain ridiculous that.

I have no doubt, for most of the doom mongering 'fsg out' crowd on here, wittery, whiney I want it now little girls.

Thank you for this post which precisely proves my point.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #23157: Sep 01, 2017 02:22:40 pm
      Unless another sheikh pops up from the dunes of Abu Dhabi, or a Chinese billionaire fancies a new plaything I think we need to get used to FSG, who they are and how they operate.

They are investors and will not pour cash in like Abramovich, or get state owned airlines to sponsor the club for a ridiculous fee a la PSG.

The money to buy was there this summer, and for whatever reason we didn't use it all. That might be Edwards, Klopps or FSGs fault (my guess is all 3) but one thing is clear the money was there, and that poll about our interest being a PR stunt was a good indication of what people on here think of our owners.

So ultimately if we were to see the back of them, we'd better hope we end up with the Abu Dhabi's of the world, and not another FSG, or Fowler forbid, a Hicks and Gillett type. Even then, do you really want to buy your way to the top?  ;)

Yea I'm not calling for a Shiek or a Chinese conglomerate or whatever. I just want an owner who ensures the football being played is the number one priority.  You are right, we had money to spend, so that's not really the issue. The issue is that for whatever reason, year after year, we always come up just a bit short and it always seems to revolve around an inability by "someone" to do their job. We can argue all day long whether it's the director, the CEO, the manager, the owners or whoever, but ultimately, the culture is created from the top and the buck stops on their desk and on their watch we've been moving along, slowly and with still no signs of achieving what we all want to achieve.

That's the part for me that's the most concerning. You would think that we could all unite behind the fact that we think this club should be winning things consistently, that's where we need to be and yet we don't unite behind that, instead we divide ourselves on who to blame for when we don't win consistently.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #23158: Sep 01, 2017 02:23:38 pm
      I have no doubt, for most of the doom mongering 'fsg out' crowd on here, wittery, whiney I want it now little girls.

I think that might be a little too harsh.  We look at the experience of our previous owners and we look at what has developed at Arsenal and I think it's reasonable nowadays that some people keep an eye on the way the club is run.

Admittedly there are people at either end of the extremes.  I think we could have better owners but I think there are plenty of worse owners we could have.  I'd imagine all of us would be happiest if we had 'the best' owners.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #23159: Sep 01, 2017 02:23:50 pm
      Yea I'm not calling for a Shiek or a Chinese conglomerate or whatever. I just want an owner who ensures the football being played is the number one priority.  You are right, we had money to spend, so that's not really the issue. The issue is that for whatever reason, year after year, we always come up just a bit short and it always seems to revolve around an inability by "someone" to do their job. We can argue all day long whether it's the director, the CEO, the manager, the owners or whoever, but ultimately, the culture is created from the top and the buck stops on their desk and on their watch we've been moving along, slowly and with still no signs of achieving what we all want to achieve.

That's the part for me that's the most concerning. You would think that we could all unite behind the fact that we think this club should be winning things consistently, that's where we need to be and yet we don't unite behind that, instead we divide ourselves on who to blame for when we don't win consistently.

Exactly how I feel about it.

Well said.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23160: Sep 01, 2017 02:32:30 pm
      I think that might be a little too harsh.  We look at the experience of our previous owners and we look at what has developed at Arsenal and I think it's reasonable nowadays that some people keep an eye on the way the club is run.

Admittedly there are people at either end of the extremes.  I think we could have better owners but I think there are plenty of worse owners we could have.  I'd imagine all of us would be happiest if we had 'the best' owners.

I think I see them for what they are; trying to build a business they had no experience of, to increase the value, so they make a tidy profit when they sell on.
      They've done some good stuff, some not so good stuff.
      I don't think they sit around hatching nefarious plots.
      I also think they could do better.

Then I look at what Rafa has to contend with, and I realise I'm fairly happy with FSG.
      Yes, we could have better owners, but we could also do a hell of a lot worse.

Quick Reply