Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2766244 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #23161: Sep 01, 2017 02:54:25 pm
      Unless another sheikh pops up from the dunes of Abu Dhabi, or a Chinese billionaire fancies a new plaything I think we need to get used to FSG, who they are and how they operate.
      I rather think the majority have sussed out FSG and how they operate, hence the opposition to their methods.
      If they did walk and there is very little reason to suppose they would sell a secure investment that requires little or no financial input, the concern is the type of buyer they would sell to.

Having no regard for the traditions and history of the club as they do it would be likely that FSG would sell to the highest bidder which would be a speculator who would copy their model of business method,
      In that case buying success does not seem such a wicked solution.

They are investors and will not pour cash in like Abramovich, or get state owned airlines to sponsor the club for a ridiculous fee a la PSG.
      There are investors as opposed to out and out speculators who would be prepared to feed the asset the club represents and make decisions in the long term interests of their investment.

The money to buy was there this summer, and for whatever reason we didn't use it all. That might be Edwards, Klopps or FSGs fault (my guess is all 3) but one thing is clear the money was there, and that poll about our interest being a PR stunt was a good indication of what people on here think of our owners.

After 8 years of identical false economies the common element in that time would be the affecting factor,

So ultimately if we were to see the back of them, we'd better hope we end up with the Abu Dhabi's of the world, and not another FSG, or Fowler forbid, a Hicks and Gillett type. Even then, do you really want to buy your way to the top?  ;)

The first paragraph is just as appropriate here mate.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #23162: Sep 01, 2017 03:06:55 pm
      Yea I'm not calling for a Shiek or a Chinese conglomerate or whatever. I just want an owner who ensures the football being played is the number one priority.  You are right, we had money to spend, so that's not really the issue. The issue is that for whatever reason, year after year, we always come up just a bit short and it always seems to revolve around an inability by "someone" to do their job. We can argue all day long whether it's the director, the CEO, the manager, the owners or whoever, but ultimately, the culture is created from the top and the buck stops on their desk and on their watch we've been moving along, slowly and with still no signs of achieving what we all want to achieve.

That's the part for me that's the most concerning. You would think that we could all unite behind the fact that we think this club should be winning things consistently, that's where we need to be and yet we don't unite behind that, instead we divide ourselves on who to blame for when we don't win consistently.

Fair points, but that's the thing about football, it's bloody popular and therefore everyone's who's interested - and that's a lot of people - have an opinion. Good thing we've got forums like this to discuss it with each other, but make no mistake there will always be divisive opinions around any club.

Yes, ultimately the buck stops with the owners, they make the decisions on who to employ, be that players, management etc. Of course any good owner will need to put people in charge who know what they are doing in terms of running a football club, and therein lies FSG's best decision. It took a while and there are plenty of questionable decisions before it (appointing Comolli, etc.), but appointing Klopp is without a doubt the best thing that has happened to this club since we did finally get rid of those parasites H&G.

Now on the evidence of this summer I'd hazard a guess that they trust Klopp 100% and will listen to him on every decision. How many people on here were saying FSG will sell Coutinho for whatever amount of money, and what happened there? No sale. How many times previously have we failed on a manager's preferred target and gone for someone else, much to the dismay of many of us? Didn't happen this year did it - we had no.1 targets (so it would seem anyway) and for whatever reason we didn't get all of them, so we didn't go with a 2nd choice. We're not seeing a situation here where we fail to sign, for example, Alexis Sanchez (the manager's first choice) and end up with Balotelli (a signing by committee).

The biggest influence on any club is not the owner, but the manager and his staff. And I think, at the least, we can all at least agree we have the best possible guy at the helm and as long as FSG back him both financially and when it comes to decisions on what's best for the club, we'll get back to where we belong. With that said we can't expect more of FSG than that they back the manager financially and in all football related decisions. Then it's down to him, the players he picks and what happens out on the pitch every week that decides how we judge ourselves.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #23163: Sep 01, 2017 03:15:19 pm
      Fair points, but that's the thing about football, it's bloody popular and therefore everyone's who's interested - and that's a lot of people - have an opinion. Good thing we've got forums like this to discuss it with each other, but make no mistake there will always be divisive opinions around any club.

Yes, ultimately the buck stops with the owners, they make the decisions on who to employ, be that players, management etc. Of course any good owner will need to put people in charge who know what they are doing in terms of running a football club, and therein lies FSG's best decision. It took a while and there are plenty of questionable decisions before it (appointing Comolli, etc.), but appointing Klopp is without a doubt the best thing that has happened to this club since we did finally get rid of those parasites H&G.

Now on the evidence of this summer I'd hazard a guess that they trust Klopp 100% and will listen to him on every decision. How many people on here were saying FSG will sell Coutinho for whatever amount of money, and what happened there? No sale. How many times previously have we failed on a manager's preferred target and gone for someone else, much to the dismay of many of us? Didn't happen this year did it - we had no.1 targets (so it would seem anyway) and for whatever reason we didn't get all of them, so we didn't go with a 2nd choice. We're not seeing a situation here where we fail to sign, for example, Alexis Sanchez (the manager's first choice) and end up with Balotelli (a signing by committee).

The biggest influence on any club is not the owner, but the manager and his staff. And I think, at the least, we can all at least agree we have the best possible guy at the helm and as long as FSG back him both financially and when it comes to decisions on what's best for the club, we'll get back to where we belong. With that said we can't expect more of FSG than that they back the manager financially and in all football related decisions. Then it's down to him, the players he picks and what happens out on the pitch every week that decides how we judge ourselves.

Well then by your description of who is running things, I guess I have a problem with Klopp, because I wouldn't stare the most important season this club's had in recent memory in the face and then blink which is what we did.

We capitulated, we cocked up the (if you believe every media person that reports on the club) one deal that Klopp wanted most of all and we decided to likely overspend on a squad player, whilst deciding not to spend enough on a player that by most estimation would have instantly upgraded our attacking options for years to come.

I like the Salah signing, like the Solanke signing (which Klopp admitted wasn't one he was after strangely), like the Robertson signing and while I'm not thrilled about it, I can understand the Ox signing.

The Keita signing I can't get excited about...a lot of things happen in a year's time.

My personal opinion, with the number of games coming at us this year, we needed 3-5 step in and start type of players this window. We got 1.

So whoever's "fault" that is.....I hope they know what they are doing because this year is too important for us to piss it away on "principles" or "stubbornness".
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #23164: Sep 01, 2017 03:25:01 pm
      Hate internationals..
      Kopite78
      Reply #23165: Sep 01, 2017 04:04:15 pm

Not all of them..

But that little Brazilian pr**k one is a tw*t  :D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #23166: Sep 01, 2017 04:32:27 pm
      Let's just get back to having a F***ing laugh.

Hopefully when Cout's grovelling apology comes in..
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23167: Sep 01, 2017 04:45:05 pm

I have no doubt, for most of the doom mongering 'fsg out' crowd on here, wittery, whiney I want it now little girls.
      You will be saying the same sh*t eight years from now!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23168: Sep 01, 2017 05:21:59 pm
      Sort of proves my point, do you remember how we were set up for the 2010 season?

Like this........

Yeah, fsg have done sh*t.

Yup showing off the new Kits 7 years ago today I believe. That is the squad that was in existence when I started following LFC...Mersyside Derby October 17th 2010 got up at 3:30 in the morning to watch that absolute sh*te.

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23169: Sep 01, 2017 05:23:25 pm
      Sort of proves my point, do you remember how we were set up for the 2010 season?

Like this........

Yeah, fsg have done sh*t.

I have heard the same excuse for the last 8 years and as long as FSG are here I will here the same excuses.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23170: Sep 01, 2017 05:32:59 pm
      That's nice!

But doesn't excuse them from failing to get a better central defender
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23171: Sep 01, 2017 05:36:41 pm
      That's nice!

So you think that FSG in particular go out and acquire central defenders?

You think Henry should be personally active in the transfer market?
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23172: Sep 01, 2017 05:38:15 pm
      So you think that FSG in particular go out and acquire central defenders?

You think Henry should be personally active in the transfer market?

I really don't care what you think
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23173: Sep 01, 2017 05:39:01 pm
      I really don't care what you think

Asked you a valid and simple question...seems you are incapable of coming up with any kind of answer...fair enough.

Typical.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 05:46:20 pm by AZPatriot »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #23174: Sep 01, 2017 05:40:52 pm
      That's nice!

Yea, lets brush all the positives under the rug and get back to all the negatives.

Honestly man it must be tiresome being as negative about everything as you are.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23175: Sep 01, 2017 05:42:46 pm
      Yea, lets brush all the positives under the rug and get back to all the negatives.

Blaming owners for not buying central defenders is stretching it to the extremes of rationality but is to be expected.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23176: Sep 01, 2017 05:47:55 pm

I want Liverpool to win the league and we won't with this defence
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23177: Sep 01, 2017 05:55:38 pm

I am going to go with your premise that FSG are skint and the manager only had to use what money he spent this window.

We bought AOC for £35 million...we could have spent £35 million for a central defender.

So again..the owners won't spend but are you suggesting that they forced the manger to buy another central mid-fielder vs. spending £35 million on a central defender?

So the owners are cheapskates but they also force the manager to buy players we really don't need so it's the owner fault for this?

Must have been they looked at the spreadsheets and figured bigger shirt sales from AOC vs a defender...must be it.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23178: Sep 01, 2017 05:57:03 pm
      Huh?

What I posted want an excuse in any way, shape or form.

If you can't see the progress that's been made in management, squad, ground, youth and income since that photo was taken (2 months before fsg took over the club) then you're beyond hope.

It took citys mega rich owners 5 years to win the league, by their standards what we've achieved isn't too shabby.

We're on the way up, just try and stop focusing on the owners and you may just start to see it.

We were rated the 4th best team in Europe then

Now we are rated 34th

Has there really been an improvement?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23179: Sep 01, 2017 05:57:21 pm

We all want us to win the league. We all wanted another centre back. It's not on the owners. We had the money to spend and bought midfielders instead. Simple as that. Start pointing fingers in the right direction.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23180: Sep 01, 2017 05:58:35 pm
      I am going to go with your premise that FSG are skint and the manager only had to use what money he spent this window.

We bought AOC for £35 million...we could have spent £35 million for a central defender.

So again..the owners won't spend but are you suggesting that they forced the manger to buy another central mid-fielder vs. spending £35 million on a central defender?

So the owners are cheapskates but they also force the manager to buy players we really don't need so it's the owner fault for this?

Must have been they looked at the spreadsheets and figured bigger shirt sales from AOC vs a defender...must be it.

Such hard  work for someone who isn't even going to read your post
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23181: Sep 01, 2017 06:01:13 pm

I'd leave it. He's not smart enough to build an argument out of this.

Some people who hold this view can rationally say why they have this opinion. He's not got the cognitive function.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23182: Sep 01, 2017 06:04:19 pm
      We all want us to win the league. We all wanted another centre back. It's not on the owners. We had the money to spend and bought midfielders instead. Simple as that. Start pointing fingers in the right direction.
      I have said the same thing I Klopp thread.

This was a problem before he became manager

We have had problems with recruitment for several years  this is a problem within the club that the people in charge should of sorted out by now
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23183: Sep 01, 2017 06:05:39 pm
      I'd leave it. He's not smart enough to build an argument out of this.

Some people who hold this view can rationally say why they have this opinion. He's not got the cognitive function.

He is still pouring over the books from 2012/13 and working around how FSG are asset stripping the club in order to buy pistons and spark plugs for Roush racing while at the same time take it as a capital gains loss in 2031.

Quick Reply