Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2752757 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #23391: Sep 07, 2017 08:26:39 pm
      A trophy would be nice mate. That league cup was a while back now.

We could win the league cup every year for the next 30 and I wouldn't care.

Don't even know why we enter. Pointless cup.
      Kopite78
      Reply #23392: Sep 07, 2017 08:32:14 pm

Nah mate

It may be last in the line of competitions you enter but it's a major trophy all the same and I enjoy going to watch Liverpool win trophies..

We've won one trophy in just over a decade, and as much as I'd rather win the league, the CL and the fa cup in that order before it if someone gave me a choice I'd still want to win this.

Winning trophies, having days out with your mates and family that you won't forget, it's what football is all about

I'd never dismiss days out like I had in 95, 01 and 03 when we won that trophy.  They make the season
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2017 08:41:40 pm by Kopite78 »
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23393: Sep 08, 2017 12:04:49 am
      Nah mate

It may be last in the line of competitions you enter but it's a major trophy all the same and I enjoy going to watch Liverpool win trophies..

We've won one trophy in just over a decade, and as much as I'd rather win the league, the CL and the fa cup in that order before it if someone gave me a choice I'd still want to win this.

Winning trophies, having days out with your mates and family that you won't forget, it's what football is all about

I'd never dismiss days out like I had in 95, 01 and 03 when we won that trophy.  They make the season

Disagree man.

It's not even close to a major trophy. It's only just better than the Asia Trophy in my eyes. People take it about as seriously.
      Kopite78
      Reply #23394: Sep 08, 2017 08:57:43 am
      Disagree man.

It's not even close to a major trophy. It's only just better than the Asia Trophy in my eyes. People take it about as seriously.

Nah it's one of the major trophies of the domestic season.

Look at the winners since the turn of the century

Utd
      City
      Chelsea
      City
      Swansea
      Liverpool
      Birmingham
      Utd
      Utd
      Spurs
      Chelsea
      Utd
      Chelsea
      Boro
      Liverpool
      Blackburn
      Liverpool

Utd 4
      City 2
      Chelsea 3
      Liverpool 3
      Spurs 1

In 17 years of the century 5 Of of the big 6 have won it 13 of those times

Imagine if people took it seriously eh
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #23395: Sep 08, 2017 09:46:54 am
      We won that cup under Kenny and it was good, I wish we beat City under Klopp but the fact is we have returned to playing in finals and the Champions League now, that is more than flirting with good Europa campaigns under Rodgers or pinching a league cup under Kenny (no disrespect to the great man). We are in a better way long term, we can win a trophy, that will be the case next season too. I am almost confident we can win a league cup and still have the squad and energy to win another cup that season. This is the best I've seen us since 2009.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23396: Sep 08, 2017 10:35:08 am
      Nah it's one of the major trophies of the domestic season.

Look at the winners since the turn of the century

Utd
      City
      Chelsea
      City
      Swansea
      Liverpool
      Birmingham
      Utd
      Utd
      Spurs
      Chelsea
      Utd
      Chelsea
      Boro
      Liverpool
      Blackburn
      Liverpool

Utd 4
      City 2
      Chelsea 3
      Liverpool 3
      Spurs 1

In 17 years of the century 5 Of of the big 6 have won it 13 of those times

Imagine if people took it seriously eh

Yea they all won with second string teams I would imagine until the final.

I'd have more time for it if people took it seriously but they just don't so I don't
      Kopite78
      Reply #23397: Sep 08, 2017 10:47:38 am
      Yea they all won with second string teams I would imagine until the final.

I'd have more time for it if people took it seriously but they just don't so I don't

Maybe early rounds when you'd expect to beat the lower league sides.
      I think your opinion is getting tainted by Arsenal playing a second string side often enough in it..
      But you know what that list of winners above lacks? Arsenal.

I can tell you from our wins having been there that we take it seriously apart from the very early rounds.

You can dismiss it mate if you like, I'd imagine match goers don't who have witnessed those wins.

Go back and look on lfc history to see the strength of the sides we played in it when we won it in 01 all the way through when we win 3 major trophies.

Think back to the run through 11-12.. Look at the quarter final sides, look.at the semi final sides against city, theirs and ours

Look at last seasons run and the season before

Early rounds when you use it as rotation against sides you should beat

Not wanting to win trophies is what's the matter with modern football and it's fans. Believing the media spin, being there and going through the emotion is unbelievable and shouldn't be dismissed. I remember going through the absolute ringer against city in 2012..
      Ask Diego how he felt going to Wembley to see us win it.

Asking whether I prioritise it above the others is different but to dismiss it and say you wouldn't care if we win won it every year? Nah lad
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #23398: Sep 08, 2017 11:16:13 am
      Have they ever lied about how the club would be run?

And before you comment, do you have proof?

As far as I'm aware they've ran the club the way they said they would when they bought it.

I think the biggest contradiction to your assertion was JWH standing in the middle of Anfield nearly 8 years ago and promising to bring back "the glory days" to LFC.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #23399: Sep 08, 2017 11:20:08 am
      I think your opinion is getting tainted by Arsenal playing a second string side often enough in it..

I can tell you from our wins having been there that we take it seriously apart from the very early rounds.

You can dismiss it mate if you like, I'd imagine match goers don't who have witnessed those wins.

Go back and look on lfc history to see the strength of the sides we played in it when we won it in 01 all the way through when we win 3 major trophies.

Think back to the run through 11-12.. Look at the quarter final sides, look.at the semi final sides against city, theirs and ours

Not wanting to win trophies is what's the matter with modern football and it's fans. Believing the media spin, being there and going through the emotion is unbelievable and shouldn't be dismissed. I remember going through the absolute ringer against city in 2012..

Asking whether I prioritise it above the others is different but to dismiss it and say you wouldn't care if we win won it every year? Nah lad
      i'm with you on this.  The emphasis has shifted so much to finishing top 4 & balancing the books, that the league cup is seen as a distraction as opposed to an achievement to win.  We all know it's the least of the 4 honours up for grabs each season (assuming European football), but I'd much rather win it than win nothing.  I guess the question is would you rather win it and finish 5th or win nothing and finish 4th?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23400: Sep 08, 2017 11:30:32 am
      I think the aim has to be to try and win every competition we enter, regardless of how we do it.
      If we play a second string in the early rounds, so be it.
      If these lads aspire to pushing for a 1st team place, they should be able to overcome lower league opposition.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #23401: Sep 08, 2017 11:44:13 am
      Instead of comparing FSG's accomplishments to other era's of management, we should compare their accomplishments to what we as supporters expect this club to accomplish.

FSG are piloting the ship during one of the most lucrative times for the Premier League. I'd say what they have delivered so far is basically the bare minimum you would expect (if that). Why some people defend them from the expectations that they show us dramatic improvement and dramatic ambition I have no idea.

Agreed. How good we are now against what we were before is in the trophies they won in the 8 years here. No thing to shout about. 
      Kopite78
      Reply #23402: Sep 08, 2017 12:04:46 pm
      .  I guess the question is would you rather win it and finish 5th or win nothing and finish 4th?

Without wanting to look like I'm avoiding a question, I wouldn't want to choose.
      Football isn't as binary as that and it would take the fun from it (in that hypothetical world)
      I want to win trophies but if we win one would I only want to finish as high as 5th each year?
      I just want us to do as well as we can every season. And I'd love some shiny cups to celebrate.

My order of priorities

League
      Champions league
      FA cup
      League cup

Of course the league cup is down the list but I wouldn't deride it as a nothing competition. I've seen us win it 3 times live,  and I wouldnt not want those memories
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23403: Sep 08, 2017 01:28:08 pm

The only way it would mean something is if we beat United or Everton in the final. Don't tell me how I should feel about it, it would be fine but if there was a bus parade with the League Cup it would embarrassing. Not a major trophy.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23404: Sep 08, 2017 01:28:58 pm
      I think the biggest contradiction to your assertion was JWH standing in the middle of Anfield nearly 8 years ago and promising to bring back "the glory days" to LFC.

Aye but how did he say he was going to do it? With what strategies?
      Kopite78
      Reply #23405: Sep 08, 2017 01:47:42 pm
      The only way it would mean something is if we beat United or Everton in the final. Don't tell me how I should feel about it, it would be fine but if there was a bus parade with the League Cup it would embarrassing. Not a major trophy.

Where did I tell you how to feel?

I didn't.

Did we do an open top bus tour in 2012? No we didn't.
      Am i asking for one?
      No im not.

It's probably an age thing mate

Didn't they say they could compete with anyone in world football?
      They were here to win?

Well they've not done either of those things so to pick and choose things they said isn't right.

If they could add some trophies, even the league cup  ;) I'd be happy as a pig in sh*t with them. Cause trophies are what football is all about
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #23406: Sep 08, 2017 02:08:11 pm

But the only F***ing trophy where the participating teams fans get a majority share of the tickets.

Unlike the allocations we get for the FA, European or Uefa cup finals
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23407: Sep 08, 2017 02:12:11 pm
      But the only F***ing trophy where the participating teams fans get a majority share of the tickets.

You've just touched on one of the things that pisses me off most about the corrupt bas**rds who supposedly "run football".
      Jobs for the boys, corporate sponsors to fill their pockets, and fans taken for mugs.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #23408: Sep 08, 2017 02:33:58 pm

Whatever plans JWH had in a footballing context have obviously not been prioritised over the business side of things, sponsorship, expanding the stadium etc have progressed at a very satisfactory pace over an 8 year tenure, the same cannot be said of the reason LFC exists - football.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #23409: Sep 08, 2017 02:51:02 pm
      Instead of comparing FSG's accomplishments to other era's of management, we should compare their accomplishments to what we as supporters expect this club to accomplish.

FSG are piloting the ship during one of the most lucrative times for the Premier League. I'd say what they have delivered so far is basically the bare minimum you would expect (if that). Why some people defend them from the expectations that they show us dramatic improvement and dramatic ambition I have no idea.

You do realise it is similarly lucrative to all other teams don't you, including clubs which are far more profitable and which get bigger donations from far wealthier middle eastern owners. For example Citeh just gets sh*t load of cash pumped into it by the owner, that will never happen for us, whilst Manure is far far more profitable than us, generating much more revenue. Compared to the amount of profit we make we actually spend a decent amount.

This article gives you an indication of how poor we are compared to Manure in terms of revenue etc:
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

We simply cannot compete with it unless we get a middle eastern owner OR unless we expand and improve the commercial and marketing side of things which we are doing.
      « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2017 02:55:35 pm by heimdall »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #23410: Sep 08, 2017 03:13:53 pm

Haha there goes a significant chunk of our trophy haul then!

Someone should have ran down and told KK that when he was reduced to tears after beating Cardiff in 2012.

We are a football club at the end of the day, winning the trophies on offer is what it's all about, regardless of who we beat along the way.
      « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2017 03:19:24 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23411: Sep 08, 2017 04:38:14 pm
      Where did I tell you how to feel?

I didn't.

Did we do an open top bus tour in 2012? No we didn't.
      Am i asking for one?
      No im not.

It's probably an age thing mate

Didn't they say they could compete with anyone in world football?
      They were here to win?

Well they've not done either of those things so to pick and choose things they said isn't right.

If they could add some trophies, even the league cup  ;) I'd be happy as a pig in sh*t with them. Cause trophies are what football is all about

Maybe it is mate, i want us to win it, because I want us to win all our games but it's so far below the other cups that I'm just 'meh' about it.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23412: Sep 08, 2017 04:38:45 pm

Doesn't make it more prestigious though does it?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #23413: Sep 08, 2017 04:52:22 pm
      Mags, we won the European cup and league cup in the same year once! All trophies should be taken seriously, that's why teams exist, not to make money for the owners! Priorities!
      « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2017 05:01:10 pm by ORCHARD RED »

Quick Reply