Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2642403 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #23414: Sep 08, 2017 05:23:45 pm
      Mags, we won the European cup and league cup in the same year once! All trophies should be taken seriously, that's why teams exist, not to make money for the owners! Priorities!

I think it's great to win the league, FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League... I'm just not feeling the league cup. It's the same as the Charity shield for me
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #23415: Sep 08, 2017 06:49:30 pm
      We could win the league cup every year for the next 30 and I wouldn't care.

Don't even know why we enter. Pointless cup.

And there we have it, absolute proof if any we're needed how different the modern LFC fan of today is compared to fans of a generation or two back,
      Not having a dig at you Mags but winning the league cup is still a cup worthy of winning, it hasn't the sparkle it once had but it's a trophy none the less,

I'd love to win it for the next 30 yrs if it meant creating a winning mentality in the dressing room, winning such a trophy breeds hunger to win more elaborate prizes, if the club itself doesn't regard it as worth winning why bother entering it,

Even if we just use it rest players and play fringe and young lads it still has value in that regard .

YNWA
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23416: Sep 08, 2017 07:03:50 pm

And there we have it, absolute proof if any we're needed how different the modern LFC fan of today is compared to fans of a generation or two back,
      Not having a dig at you Mags but winning the league cup is still a cup worthy of winning, it hasn't the sparkle it once had but it's a trophy none the less,

I'd love to win it for the next 30 yrs if it meant creating a winning mentality in the dressing room, winning such a trophy breeds hunger to win more elaborate prizes, if the club itself doesn't regard it as worth winning why bother entering it,

Even if we just use it rest players and play fringe and young lads it still has value in that regard .

YNWA

If we only played our kids and they went out and won it, then I'd be thrilled.

Even when we won it with Kenny I was like 'cool'. It does nothing for me, wish it did, but it just doesn't.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #23417: Sep 08, 2017 07:21:08 pm
      The League Cup has never been and will never be a barometer of success or status, especially for a club that measures itself by the number of European Cups that it has won. Rather than all this banal old bollocks about 'older fans valuing it more' - well the detractors of the League Cup can equally say 'is that your ambition?' Another competition? Yes. A poor competition. Most certainly. Important for a club outside of Europe like Swansea but for us, especially when we're back where we belong in Europe, it's a sideshow at best, a distraction at worst.

It was brilliant that we won it under Kenny and all that but I feel that some on here are just bigging it up far above it's level because it was Kenny who won it. It's a pointless competition and that no other major league in Europe has an equivalent says enough. Remember the UEFA Cup Winners Cup? Hardly missed is it since it was scrapped? Same would go for the League Cup. And where is the evidence that it creates a winning mentality? Winning the trophy hardly helped us in beating Chelsea in the FA Cup final that same season nor help us try and win the Premier League two years later. Breeds success? It does not.

In the meantime use it to field an u23 squad by all means but don't blame me when I want all our players to be fresh, fit and firing for a visit of Barcelona in the Champions League rather than wasting energy on a tricky away tie to Doncaster Rovers.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #23418: Sep 14, 2017 05:17:26 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #23419: Sep 14, 2017 05:31:25 pm
      Reminds me of the Dempsey fanboys,when Henry showed up for practice at Harvard that first tour.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #23420: Sep 14, 2017 08:09:41 pm
      Personally I'm glad people are asking him questions

But the reality is he is sitting on a personal profit of £300 million

Like he give a F**k about OUR club
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #23421: Sep 14, 2017 08:39:32 pm

YNWA

That's the sh*t thing though the youth/fringe can do great and get us to the semis but as soon as that happens they usually get fu**ed off for the first teamers
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #23422: Sep 23, 2017 03:03:27 pm
      The League Cup has never been and will never be a barometer of success or status, especially for a club that measures itself by the number of European Cups that it has won. Rather than all this banal old bollocks about 'older fans valuing it more' - well the detractors of the League Cup can equally say 'is that your ambition?' Another competition? Yes. A poor competition. Most certainly. Important for a club outside of Europe like Swansea but for us, especially when we're back where we belong in Europe, it's a sideshow at best, a distraction at worst.

It was brilliant that we won it under Kenny and all that but I feel that some on here are just bigging it up far above it's level because it was Kenny who won it. It's a pointless competition and that no other major league in Europe has an equivalent says enough. Remember the UEFA Cup Winners Cup? Hardly missed is it since it was scrapped? Same would go for the League Cup. And where is the evidence that it creates a winning mentality? Winning the trophy hardly helped us in beating Chelsea in the FA Cup final that same season nor help us try and win the Premier League two years later. Breeds success? It does not.

In the meantime use it to field an u23 squad by all means but don't blame me when I want all our players to be fresh, fit and firing for a visit of Barcelona in the Champions League rather than wasting energy on a tricky away tie to Doncaster Rovers.

It's not a pointless cup. Obviously it is 3/4 on our list of priorities, but it is vital for giving squad players a game and keeping them fit and ready when needed. Other top teams fielded strong teams. So they value it. Not a massive blow but a loss...any loss should be taken very seriously...stop doing that and we become a mid table team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #23423: Sep 23, 2017 03:24:08 pm
      It's not a pointless cup. Obviously it is 3/4 on our list of priorities, but it is vital for giving squad players a game and keeping them fit and ready when needed. Other top teams fielded strong teams. So they value it. Not a massive blow but a loss...any loss should be taken very seriously...stop doing that and we become a mid table team.

3/4? You consider the League Cup to be more important than the FA Cup? Seriously?
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #23424: Sep 23, 2017 03:28:51 pm
      3/4? You consider the League Cup to be more important than the FA Cup? Seriously?

Probably 4th on the list but it is an important fixture. Depends on how far we go, as it happens we are out of the LC and it's far from what Klopp wanted.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #23425: Sep 23, 2017 04:06:51 pm
      Disagree man.

It's not even close to a major trophy. It's only just better than the Asia Trophy in my eyes. People take it about as seriously.

Your rating of the LC is irrelevant when the fact that it is now our level is taken into account,

I am not demeaning the trophy in any way, just stating fact, unnfortunately.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #23426: Sep 23, 2017 04:52:18 pm
      I think it's great to win the league, FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League... I'm just not feeling the league cup. It's the same as the Charity shield for me
      Mags, you say that great to win the Europa League yes...? You do realize that if you win the League Cup you qualify for the UEFA Europa League this season...?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #23427: Sep 23, 2017 07:47:31 pm
      Well yea that's what I thought they'd make clear.

We can't ask them to pour millions of their own money in when they said very clearly that was never going to happen.

No money goes in or out. The club keeps and spends what it makes. So this gripe on spending is strange as it's not lining the pockets of FSG if we don't spend hundreds of millions, it's staying in the club.

Fairy muff mate but that does raise the question of if they are not prepared or do not have faith enough in the club to sink their own wedge into it, why don't they F**k off and hand over the ownership to owners who are willing to feed the asset that is LFC?

JWH&Co could cash in today and triple their original investment, they have no empathy with the club, the city or it's people.

Do us all a favour and F**k off as soon as.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23428: Sep 23, 2017 09:25:28 pm
      Fairy muff mate but that does raise the question of if they are not prepared or do not have faith enough in the club to sink their own wedge into it, why don't they F**k off and hand over the ownership to owners who are willing to feed the asset that is LFC?

JWH&Co could cash in today and triple their original investment, they have no empathy with the club, the city or it's people.

Do us all a favour and F**k off as soon as.

Faith is nothing to do with it. To them it's not personal just business and that's the way it always been presented.

If a billionaire who supports Liverpool and lives for the club come along, I would gladly have them... don't see any on the horizon though

Edit: also pretty sure the last line was directed at the owners and not to me personally. At least I'd hope so
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #23429: Sep 23, 2017 10:17:57 pm
      Faith is nothing to do with it. To them it's not personal just business and that's the way it always been presented.

Edit: also pretty sure the last line was directed at the owners and not to me personally. At least I'd hope so

It certainly was directed at the owners mate, wish to F**k they'd take the hint.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #23430: Sep 24, 2017 12:33:09 am
      It certainly was directed at the owners mate, wish to F**k they'd take the hint.

I really have no strong feeling either way. I think they're fine. Nothing more or less.

I do think they have a number however and it's a matter of waiting for someone to bid that much.

Not sure in todays game if you're really going to get someone who's passionate mind you. Could just be another version of what we have now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #23431: Sep 24, 2017 02:34:57 pm
      I really have no strong feeling either way. I think they're fine. Nothing more or less.

I do think they have a number however and it's a matter of waiting for someone to bid that much.

Not sure in todays game if you're really going to get someone who's passionate mind you. Could just be another version of what we have now.

Totally agree with your closing statement Mags, passion for the club and the game however need not be an essential part of any new owner's CV.

Recognising the blindingly obvious fact that LFC is a very tangible asset and being prepared to develop said asset to it's full capability is an entirely different mind set to the passion and support ethos.
      Feeding an asset does not entail 'loaning' the business money, capital that will only grow as assets tend to and increase the market value of the enterprise; JWH&Co are being perverse in a business sense while doing absolutely F**k all in developing LFC in a footballing concept,

I imagine if a credible buyer did come along who did have some empathy for the club they would be unwilling to give FSG the steam off their sh*t never mind the obscene profit from the years of deception while owning the club.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #23432: Oct 13, 2017 02:21:18 pm
      According to the Monaco chief, Vasilyev, , Liverpool took too long trying to sign Lemar. Apparently they could have signed him if they had moved much faster.

"Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev admits Thomas Lemar very nearly left the Ligue 1 giants in the summer - but the teams interested left it too late trying to sign him.

Arsenal tabled a huge Deadline Day bid for the France international, as Alexis Sanchez prepared to leave north London for Manchester City.

But both deals fell through, much to the disappointment of the Chilean.

Liverpool also made a bid for Lemar but eventually settled for ex-Gunners midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, after Monaco held firm on their price.

Vadim Vasilyev  says both clubs [Liverpool and Arsenal] left it too late trying to sign the Monaco man
      Speaking to Sky Sport, Monaco chief Vasilyev admitted that Arsenal came closest to signing the Frenchman out of the two Premier League clubs.

But explained that because they both left trying to complete their business so late, they ultimately missed out on the opportunity.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/thomas-lemar-transfer-arsenal-liverpool-11334888
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #23433: Oct 13, 2017 03:08:05 pm
      According to the Monaco chief, Vasilyev, , Liverpool took too long trying to sign Lemar. Apparently they could have signed him if they had moved much faster.

"Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev admits Thomas Lemar very nearly left the Ligue 1 giants in the summer - but the teams interested left it too late trying to sign him.

Arsenal tabled a huge Deadline Day bid for the France international, as Alexis Sanchez prepared to leave north London for Manchester City.

Liverpool also made a bid for Lemar but eventually settled for ex-Gunners midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, after Monaco held firm on their price.

Vadim Vasilyev  says both clubs [Liverpool and Arsenal] left it too late trying to sign the Monaco man
      Speaking to Sky Sport, Monaco chief Vasilyev admitted that Arsenal came closest to signing the Frenchman out of the two Premier League clubs.

But explained that because they both left trying to complete their business so late, they ultimately missed out on the opportunity.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/thomas-lemar-transfer-arsenal-liverpool-11334888

So maybe not a dollar short this time, but definitely a day late.

It's ok...Michael Edwards has everything under control.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #23434: Oct 13, 2017 03:15:20 pm

Not the first time for Liverpool but the fact we where chasing a midfielder on deadline day rather than a Center Back is the biggest crime of the window.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #23435: Oct 13, 2017 07:39:57 pm
      And where is the evidence that it creates a winning mentality?
      Don't know if it's "proof" enough or what you're after FMS but, for what its worth...

Last ten League Cup winners include: Man United x 3, Chelsea x 2 and Man City x 2.

Last ten League Champions include: Man United x 4, Chelsea x 3 and Man City x 2.

Big teams have a winning mentality; big teams win trophies (their fans demand it of them)... wee teams are happy to "compete". In my opinion obviously.

Demand better Reds. 😎
      « Last Edit: Oct 13, 2017 08:11:08 pm by bad boy bubby »
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #23436: Oct 13, 2017 08:52:36 pm
      Don't know if it's "proof" enough or what you're after FMS but, for what its worth...

Last ten League Cup winners include: Man United x 3, Chelsea x 2 and Man City x 2.

Last ten League Champions include: Man United x 4, Chelsea x 3 and Man City x 2.

Big teams have a winning mentality; big teams win trophies (their fans demand it of them)... wee teams are happy to "compete". In my opinion obviously.

Demand better Reds. 😎

Without even looking at the stats I would imagine the top teams in the 70's,80's and 90's also won the league cup.

There can be nothing negative about wining a trophy. And using hypothetical arguments of 'well if we didn't win we would have done better in Europe' are non arguments because firstly you can't evidence it and secondly I would imagine the same teams winning the league cup have more often than not gone far in Europe.

Without checking the stats, maybe it'll be proved to be bollocks but that's my guess.

Quick Reply