Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2766859 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #24012: Jan 28, 2018 08:58:32 pm
      We're in the top 10 richest clubs but we aren't at the top ... Man Utd are. With the work that FSG are doing we will be able to compete for a £500k per week player - that's the long-term goal and we are getting closer to that reality.

Fully agree with you about the trophies - I'd love us to be winning more too

I don’t care about competing for a 500k a week player. Missing the point entirely. My point is that we can afford to be doing much, much more than we are. We don’t even compete at our current level, so I have no expectation of them ever competing at the top end of the market.

We spend peanuts on transfers in net terms and have since FSG arrived. Our squad, 7 years on, is still threadbare and that’s because we sell any player of quality that is on the bench because it’s a waste of wages.

That scrotum face John Henry and his side kick Tom have left this club barely able to get through a season of competitive football without it all collapsing due to injury or, in most cases, a fat bag of cash plonked on their desk for our best players.

They need to buck up or f**k off.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 734 posts | 113 
      Reply #24013: Jan 28, 2018 09:06:34 pm
      Liverpool are "willing to wait " for trophies, a natural extension of the hugely successful transfer policy of pretending you may be ambitious...but just not yet.

We simply cannot afford the calibre of players that Man Utd / Real Madrid etc can afford right now. It's funny how nobody has responded to the Leeds references. Their 'hugely successful transfer policy' (remember Rio Ferdinand, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka etc) worked wonders for them, right?

At least their supporters have the comfort of knowing that the owners of their club at the time were 'ambitious'. I bet that helps them with the League One / Championship away journeys.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 734 posts | 113 
      Reply #24014: Jan 28, 2018 09:13:09 pm
      I don’t care about competing for a 500k a week player. Missing the point entirely. My point is that we can afford to be doing much, much more than we are. We don’t even compete at our current level, so I have no expectation of them ever competing at the top end of the market.

We spend peanuts on transfers in net terms and have since FSG arrived. Our squad, 7 years on, is still threadbare and that’s because we sell any player of quality that is on the bench because it’s a waste of wages.

The quality players we have sold have gone because they wanted to. FSG fought tooth and nail to keep Suarez. They relented after he bit another player, for a second time, as a LFC player. They fought to keep Coutinho too. When we are in a position to attract players in the £500k a week bracket then those players will begin to want to stay. The reason we have lost Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling is because we can't compete for 500k a week players.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #24015: Jan 28, 2018 09:13:55 pm
      We simply cannot afford the calibre of players that Man Utd / Real Madrid etc can afford right now. It's funny how nobody has responded to the Leeds references. Their 'hugely successful transfer policy' (remember Rio Ferdinand, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka etc) worked wonders for them, right?

At least their supporters have the comfort of knowing that the owners of their club at the time were 'ambitious'. I bet that helps them with the League One / Championship away journeys.

I’ll respond to the Leeds sh*t. It is a f**king nonsense.

Leeds were deep in the red, leveraged to the eyeballs and spending well beyond their means and banking on regular CL qualification to just meet their obligations. They certainly weren’t one of the top 10 richest clubs in the world.

We on the other hand are one of the richest football clubs ON THE PLANET. We compete at a time when the television deals with sky and BT just hit close to ONE BILLION POUNDS.

We are not in debt. We are just sold a football for what was the second highest transfer fee OF ALL TIME.

We have one of the biggest fan bases, you guessed it, ON THE PLANET. And we operate sell to buy?

Now, don’t you think, maybe, just maybe considering the above facts, which are indisputable, that we should perhaps have won more than 1 league cup in the last 10 years? That we should perhaps be able to spend more than 15 mill per window on average? That we maybe shouldn’t have a squad where Simon mignolet and Alberto Moreno and Danny f**king Ings form a part of it?

I dread the day that Jürgen sees he is being bullshitted because the next man through the door is Eddie f**king Howe, I’ve absolutely no doubt about it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #24016: Jan 28, 2018 09:17:11 pm
      True.

Mr Moores and Mr Parry .   May we just remind you ...lest we forget.

Skip, we won more silverware under Moore's & Parry..
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #24017: Jan 28, 2018 09:18:04 pm

You seem hugely invested in defending the ownership and muddying the waters with false parallels like Leeds.

Especially invested for a new poster.

RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #24018: Jan 28, 2018 09:30:46 pm
      The quality players we have sold have gone because they wanted to. FSG fought tooth and nail to keep Suarez. They relented after he bit another player, for a second time, as a LFC player. They fought to keep Coutinho too. When we are in a position to attract players in the £500k a week bracket then those players will begin to want to stay. The reason we have lost Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling is because we can't compete for 500k a week players.

Relented after he bit a player or after 75 big ones got put in front of them? No one honestly is taking the moral high ground are they and saying we should sell the best striker in the world at the time because of that are they? Amazing how he is good enough for Barca but not for us.

Tooth and nail for Cou? We sold him mid season and we aren’t replacing him? Tooth and nail would be making him see the season out. Instead we saw the cash and once again sold because ‘he wasn’t committed’. Sterling, the one young player we have had who looked quality (that’s their policy isn’t it? Buy young quality who we can develop?), sold ‘because his agent made it difficult’.

See the trend here? Always some convenient excuse when the time comes to sell our best players. Can’t wait to see how inventive they are when the next one goes, that PR machine must be out of ideas by this stage.

We aren’t competing for players at our current bracket, so what makes you think we would ever consider spending 500k and compete at that level? Those players left because we win f**k all and it doesn’t look like changing. That’s why they left, nothing complicated about it.
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2018 12:46:53 am by RedWilly »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24019: Jan 28, 2018 09:32:51 pm
      Winning trophies will come - but my point was that we are not yet in a position to be as competitive in the transfer market as those top clubs.

I don't get the FSG / Own benefit point. As owners of the club, everything they do with the club will be for their own benefit. However what they have done is a number of things that will continue to benefit the club if / when they pass ownership on to someone else: the additional seats at Anfield - those will still be there after they have gone; the newly-revamped club stores will still be there; as will the upgrades they're planning to Melwood / the Academy.

The Trophies won't come unless we have the players to compete for them!

The new stand doesn't win trophies, as nice as it is, state of the art training facilities are unlikely to add to the trophy ching either.
      The priority should be building the strongest squad possible (within our means) Then after the trophy count and fan base grow ( leaving us in a stronger position to get better sponsorship deals and investment) we turn our attention to the Stadium and training facilities.

We're in the top 10 richest clubs but we aren't at the top ... Man Utd are. With the work that FSG are doing we will be able to compete for a £500k per week player - that's the long-term goal and we are getting closer to that reality

You think FSGs long term goal is to compete for £500 per week players? Funny then how we keep selling those types of players to fund transfers!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #24020: Jan 28, 2018 09:41:35 pm
      This is so simplistic ... why is it so difficult for you to engage in grown-up, meaningful, discussion?

Post something meaningful and maybe.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24021: Jan 28, 2018 10:07:09 pm
      Yeah let's forget the treble in 2001 and Istanbul in 2005.

Know what I'd prefer.

Skip, we won more silverware under Moore's & Parry..

We are talking commercial revenue ... not trophies.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #24022: Jan 28, 2018 10:16:03 pm

We are talking commercial revenue ... not trophies.

Well put it this way we do just fine with the income bit. Not sure about that other important stuff, though. You know, the reason we exist.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #24023: Jan 28, 2018 11:20:58 pm
      We cannot spend money we haven't got ... or are people saying that the owners should do what Leeds did and gamble heavily on several high profile signings?

We do not have the money to compete with the likes of Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc

FSG are doing a lot to close that gap and statistically the gap is closing.

The club sat on its arse in the 1990s and did nothing to tap into global revenue streams until about ten years after those clubs started. So, while we have similar global fan-bases to Madrid, Man Utd etc, we are still playing catch up because of what happened 20-25 years ago.

FSG are about long-term sustainability - it's exactly what we need and what we should be doing.
      But we have the money FSG said so :roll:, and Klopp Has it to spend  >:D
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #24024: Jan 28, 2018 11:25:33 pm
      Deary me.

This is the biggest load of FSG apologist sh*te I've read since Swab stopped posting.

In fact...
      WHHAATTT!!! Swab stopped posting.   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #24025: Jan 29, 2018 12:01:24 am
      I don't know how much is in the transfer kitty (and neither do any of us on here).

The point I was making is that I would rather the club spent within its means (whatever that might be) and did not overspend and leave us in a position similar to Leeds.

Statistically we are closing the gap on the richest clubs - this is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact - so we are getting closer to the point where we can go out and spend the sort of money that Barcelona / Man Uts etc can currently spend

Don't think anyone apart from the footie manager blerts are calling for that.

But we were told in the summer we had £200 million to spend, so I don't think we're in the Leeds zone just yet, plus I don't think Peter Moores is spending thousands on some fancy goldfish for his office!!

The extravagant spending at Leeds wasn't just confined to what they lashed at players.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #24026: Jan 29, 2018 12:04:40 am

Leeds made a nice profit on Ferdinand though? Bought for £12 million, when Ferguson could have had him for same price from West Ham and Leeds then sold him onto the mancs for £30 million. Our owners work in that way don't they with their moneyball bollocks!!
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2018 12:16:34 am by HUYTON RED »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #24027: Jan 29, 2018 12:08:02 am
      This is so simplistic ... why is it so difficult for you to engage in grown-up, meaningful, discussion?

Liverpool suffered an embarrassing defeat in a cup competition, when we've won F**k all for 6 seasons, emotions are ramped to F**k and you're wanting to have a grown-up, meaningful, discussion?

Hahahaha yeah good luck with that!!

:lmao:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #24028: Jan 29, 2018 12:23:08 am
      Liverpool suffered an embarrassing defeat in a cup competition, when we've won f**k all for 6 seasons, emotions are ramped to f**k and you're wanting to have a grown-up, meaningful, discussion?

Hahahaha yeah good luck with that!!

:lmao:

You make an excellent point and remind me that I should spend my Sunday evening doing  something else. I love nothing more than talking about the club, which is a hard thing for me to do outside of this forum, but it's an emotional pursuit, for all of us.

Hoping for a quick turnaround from these past two matches.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #24029: Jan 29, 2018 12:28:26 am
      You make an excellent point and remind me that I should spend my Sunday evening doing  something else. I love nothing more than talking about the club, which is a hard thing for me to do outside of this forum, but it's an emotional pursuit, for all of us.

Hoping for a quick turnaround from these past two matches.

We all talk sh*t in here but we talk more emotionally-driven sh*t when we get either a result like yesterday or a result like we got against City. It's part of the reason, i hope, is why we love the club and the sport, because you get emotions like we've had recently.

And it's still not on a par with how mental the place got during the H & G days!!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24030: Jan 29, 2018 04:32:38 am
      But we have the money FSG said so :roll:, and Klopp Has it to spend  >:D

Actually the manager said we have money...fixed that for ya.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #24031: Jan 29, 2018 07:44:03 am
      Actually the manager said we have money...fixed that for ya.

Well he would as he's the only one we ever hear speak.

Mouth piece.
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2018 07:49:37 am by what-a-hit-son »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24032: Jan 29, 2018 08:20:08 am
      As much as I dislike being owned by overseas owners they cannot be held for the pathetic displays against West Brom and Swansea.That responsibility has to rest on the shoulders of the players,they and them alone served up the sh*te they passed off as football.Back to FENWAY the blame for them being in control of Anfield has to be directed at Moores,he was the one who put us on the slippery slope to failure when he sold out to Twit and tw*t and consequently Fenway.
      Thewingmaker44
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #24033: Jan 29, 2018 05:04:16 pm
      A mate of mine went to the game at the weekend for the first time this season with his two daughters.
      They went to the club shop and found this key ring attached. Tell me i am wrong but why does it look like Harold Shipman.
      Surely someone in the design office twigged this, but i guess its all about making money. 

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #24034: Jan 29, 2018 05:10:18 pm
      A mate of mine went to the game at the weekend for the first time this season with his two daughters.
      They went to the club shop and found this key ring attached. Tell me i am wrong but why does it look like Harold Shipman.
      Surely someone in the design office twigged this, but i guess its all about making money. 

There's some awful tat out there. Introducing Camp Klopp.

Quick Reply