Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2642494 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #24081: Feb 21, 2018 05:18:39 pm
      Hang on

That's not what I or you said

:-\

I wasn't talking to anyone in particular.The point i was trying to make if people are gonna get up in arms about how sh*t the owners are,they've gotta have something better than not spunking enough millions of $$ on players,no? I joined SOS when h and g was kicking off.If there are people that think things are so bad now,give me something and i'm in.otherwise just sit back and enjoy the F***ing footy we're playing at the moment.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24082: Feb 21, 2018 06:09:41 pm

How is that a discrepancy? He makes a valid point and you can't compare between American baseball and European Football. apples and oranges.

The discrepancy is in the statements regarding Red Sox "earning their own money" and spending huge amounts while LFC also "earn their own money" but are not allowed to spend huge amounts.

No matter how the ball bounces Red Sox are getting a better deal.
      « Last Edit: Feb 21, 2018 06:24:42 pm by stuey »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #24083: Feb 21, 2018 06:13:56 pm
      Your comparison does not withstand scrutiny - "Red Sox hand out huge contracts, Red Sox earn their own money".
      By your own admission LFC also earn their own money, LFC do not spend big.

For some reason a number of posters find that discrepancy  acceptable. 

Not to mention that.......how can we be spending WHAT we generate if we’re breaking even in transfers.........

FSG are brilliant at business right.......so brilliant we can’t be making any money from any of the triumphant partnerships / sponsorships they’ve brokered if we only spend what we earn.......

Can’t have it both ways.....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #24084: Feb 21, 2018 07:52:34 pm
      Before the city takeover, there wasnt a huge fanbase outside UK for city

Don't worry there isn't a massive fanbase inside the UK for city either, hence all the jokes about the emptyhad!! :laugh:

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24085: Feb 22, 2018 01:55:29 am
      Don't worry there isn't a massive fanbase inside the UK for city either, hence all the jokes about the emptyhad!! :laugh:

Haha a hollow post mate.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24086: Feb 22, 2018 02:51:15 am
      I really need to explain myself better in my posts. what i meant is that we are Liverpool, a big team playing in the most popular league in the world. There is no doubt that football is more popular then baseball in the world.
      So us being Liverpool can earn alot of money for the owners, everybody knows about us. if you went to Africa or india, you will probably see some people with our kit.

Find the Red Sox.

Then look for Liverpool.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/07/12/full-list-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2017/#59c9eea84a05

Football is more popular, and Liverpool FC has a far greater global reach than the Red Sox, but research in to the fundamentals and fan mechanics of both sports and the economies in which they exist.

The hardest part for any sporting organisation is building a bridge that connects their fans to the club and heightening the fan's sense of engagement to a strong enough level for the club to be able to capitalise on it and convert the fan in to a consumer. That's where the real money and economic boost you want to occur comes from. From there, clubs can boost sponsorship, ticketing and merchandise to a level where it offsets a lot of their operating expenditure (players, staff, etc).

In part, that is the reason why the Red Sox will be ahead of us for a while. The Americans are far more advanced than the rest of the world when it comes to fan/consumer conversion and we're all playing catch up by copying what they do.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #24087: Feb 22, 2018 09:14:39 am
      We have 19 home league games in the Prem season.  Add in after bouncing out of domestic cups a maximum of what 23/25 Home matches.

Ticket prices far less than what they charge at Fenway Park.  And that is a minimum of 82 games.  All sold out.  And that is before the playoffs. 

If the Red Sox make it to the ALCS. That’s another three games and ticket prices double.

If they make it to the World Series that is again another at least 2 possibility of 4 home games with even more elevated ticket prices.

That is potentially 90 Home games.  And yes they are all sold out.

90 vs a potential 23? With ticket prices higher for baseball?

Just do the math.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #24088: Feb 22, 2018 12:06:53 pm
      The discrepancy is in the statements regarding Red Sox "earning their own money" and spending huge amounts while LFC also "earn their own money" but are not allowed to spend huge amounts.

No matter how the ball bounces Red Sox are getting a better deal.

Explain how are they getting a better deal when American sports are completely different to European Football?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24089: Feb 22, 2018 12:09:29 pm
      We have 19 home league games in the Prem season.  Add in after bouncing out of domestic cups a maximum of what 23/25 Home matches.

Ticket prices far less than what they charge at Fenway Park.  And that is a minimum of 82 games.  All sold out.  And that is before the playoffs. 

If the Red Sox make it to the ALCS. That’s another three games and ticket prices double.

If they make it to the World Series that is again another at least 2 possibility of 4 home games with even more elevated ticket prices.

That is potentially 90 Home games.  And yes they are all sold out.

90 vs a potential 23? With ticket prices higher for baseball?

Just do the math.

You neglect to mention global fan bases and how many millions follow LFC, domestic stats are just part of a world-wide commercial enterprise that includes royalties and club memorabilia.
      Just do the all embracing maths and not a specific part of the equation.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24090: Feb 22, 2018 12:13:47 pm
      Explain how are they getting a better deal when American sports are completely different to European Football?

It appears you go out of your way to misinterpret my comment for reasons best known to yourself.
      One more time and read it carefully:
      In your own words - Red Sox earn their own money and spend huge amounts.
      LFC earn their own money but do not spend huge amounts.

As previously stated it makes no odds what shape the ball is or how it bounces that right there is a discrepancy, by definition and fact.
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2018 12:27:04 pm by stuey »
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #24091: Feb 22, 2018 12:18:25 pm
      It appears you go out of your way to misinterpret my comment for reasons best known to yourself.

If I misinterpreted them please let me know how I did so I can understand your point of view even more.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24092: Feb 22, 2018 12:28:00 pm
      If I misinterpreted them please let me know how I did so I can understand your point of view even more.

See below.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #24093: Feb 22, 2018 12:46:03 pm
      Spend big??

FSG are not willing to spend at all.
      JWH stated as much as an add on to an earlier statement as he stood on the pitch at Anfield; "we are going to make LFC great again, bring back the glory days" he rambled.

A short time later he amended the statement informing that FSG would not be putting any funds into the club and LFC would generate it's own revenue.

In terms of commitment and Redsox have been mentioned, FSG have spent mult-millions getting them to where they are now, that is commitment.

8 long years, haven't they made enough out of the club? I hope that they go back to baseball full time soon. Football is no place for them. Don't they have no shame financing a baseball team at the expense of an iconic football club???
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24094: Feb 22, 2018 12:55:22 pm
      8 long years, haven't they made enough out of the club? I hope that they go back to baseball full time soon. Football is no place for them. Don't they have no shame financing a baseball team at the expense of an iconic football club???

They will sell up eventually, that transaction will take place when the profit margin on their £300m investment, now worth in the region of £1bn, reaches what JWH&Co consider suitable reward for doing F**k all.
      Good work if you can get it.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #24095: Feb 22, 2018 01:41:14 pm
      They will sell up eventually, that transaction will take place when the profit margin on their £300m investment, now worth in the region of £1bn, reaches what JWH&Co consider suitable reward for doing f**k all.
      Good work if you can get it.

I never know where I stand with FSG.

On one hand - they saved us from the brink and built the new stand. Lets not  forget where we were. Hodgson, Konchesky, Poulsen, etc

On the other hand - they promised us the world and we have one small trophy to show for it.  Our net spend is also nowhere near competing with the big guns and we have constantly sold our top players.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #24096: Feb 22, 2018 02:03:01 pm
      I never know where I stand with FSG.

On one hand - they saved us from the brink .

And happened to buy us at a knockdown price, let's not forget!!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #24097: Feb 22, 2018 08:13:36 pm

They absolutely stole this Club, the equivalent of finding a genuine Rolex in a pound shop.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #24098: Feb 22, 2018 08:28:54 pm
      They absolutely stole this Club, the equivalent of finding a genuine Rolex in a pound shop.

Maybe, but I don’t seem to remember investors queuing up to buy the club at the time.
      We are making steady progress without tearing up any trees, but be careful what you wish for.
      The other mans grass......
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #24099: Feb 23, 2018 07:06:53 pm

Maybe, but I don’t seem to remember investors queuing up to buy the club at the time.
      We are making steady progress without tearing up any trees, but be careful what you wish for.
      The other mans grass......

I wouldn't know who was interested or not to be honest. It's quite clear to see they are slowly building us up to sell us on at a hefty profit.

I hope it's sooner rather than later.

The gap widens.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24100: Feb 25, 2018 11:38:11 am

Right now they could almost quadruple their original investment - their refusal to sell after 7 years of zero input and soaring net worth does not bode well.

The runners-up badge does seem acceptable to some who have never experienced the euphoria of an all-conquering LFC; runners-up we shall be while the present owners remain.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #24101: Feb 25, 2018 12:37:54 pm

Bunch of skinflints
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24102: Feb 25, 2018 12:50:09 pm

Fixed it for you.

We're Brits dear boy ....  ;D

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #24103: Feb 25, 2018 12:54:30 pm

To be fair to them I don’t remember there being a que to buy us when we were on our arse those years ago. They had to put up about $300M of their capital to take on a completely broken club. OK the the way football finances have moved since they made a very shrewd investment but that wasn’t guaranteed back then, there was risk in their investment.

Quick Reply