Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2642859 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #24127: Feb 26, 2018 10:59:58 pm
      Be nice if you could just put a price tag on it, unfortunately you can't.

That's obvious. But the squad is not strong enought to maintain the challenge year on year. The relatively low net spend will, if it carries on, catch up with them.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #24128: Feb 26, 2018 11:09:35 pm
      As I was saying if FSG carry on penny pinching we will eventually be overtaken by owners with real ambitions. Everton have outspent FSG. So it's not FSG that have kept us in contention. So fans should look at the figures before they defend them.

Surely it’s not about spending alone. As you say, Everton have outspent us, and look how dire they are.
      It’s HOW you spend that counts.
      It seems Klopps style is to target just 1 or 2 players at a time, and persuing them until he gets them.
      Building slowly but with quality that not only fits, but also wants to be on board for the journey.
      At the moment we are good, not great, but good. We will also get better, but not with short term vigilantes, but with a squad who will be together for a good few years.
      If FSG gave Klopp £200 mill, im not sure he would spend it all in one hit if his desired players weren’t available.
      He doesn’t seem to settle for lesser players than he desires,just for the sake of spending ah la Rogers.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24129: Feb 26, 2018 11:11:07 pm
      This " everything is the garden is rosy" mentality is a bit complacent. Carping about FSG breaking transfer records is no argument. The market has changed in a very short space of time. Obviously there will be a ceiling to this transfer bull market but it still has legs. If we don't, at least attempt to match the likes of United or City...I mean forget Barca and Real...then we will lose out. Not FSG, they won't...that much is certain.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #24130: Feb 26, 2018 11:16:22 pm
      Hmmm... Not overly excited by the FSG ownership but I think it's time we moved on from the net spend argument...

Some are asking Klopp to spend for the sake of spending..

Klopp has exceeded expectations with what is a nominal net spend compared to others around us..

We have one foot in the QF of the CL after a 10 year sabbatical & we are 2points of 2nd place MU who have spent a sh*t load to maintain top 4 status...
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24131: Feb 26, 2018 11:22:28 pm

Surely it’s not about spending alone. As you say, Everton have outspent us, and look how dire they are.
      It’s HOW you spend that counts.
      It seems Klopps style is to target just 1 or 2 players at a time, and persuing them until he gets them.
      Building slowly but with quality that not only fits, but also wants to be on board for the journey.
      At the moment we are good, not great, but good. We will also get better, but not with short term vigilantes, but with a squad who will be together for a good few years.
      If FSG gave Klopp £200 mill, im not sure he would spend it all in one hit if his desired players weren’t available.
      He doesn’t seem to settle for lesser players than he desires,just for the sake of spending ah la Rogers.

Well yes Klopp can keep us within the top 4/5 but if FSG even loosen the rug he could easily be priced out of it. All managers buy flopps. But we can't just absorb the impact and move on to the next target. FSG have not bank rolled Klopp, not by a long way. Shrewd tho it may be. Wise to hold back but Klopp must be given enough to replace the quality we have lost.

I'm not saying FSG have conned us but are they happy to see us 4/5...with improved staduim capacity. Arsenal did that and it worked, not because of the owners. It was because they had Wenger. Klopp has a long long way to go to even come anywhere near Wengers record.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #24132: Feb 26, 2018 11:50:12 pm
      We've broken our transfer record three times (maybe four depending on the real figure for AOC) this season. We managed to beat Chelsea and soon-to-be champions City for VVD in the process. We also spent 40m on AOC who also turned down Chelsea.

I honestly don't give a rats how much he has to spend because he seems to get whoever he wants.
      You mean Brandt,Pulisic etc...  :f_whistle:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #24133: Feb 26, 2018 11:54:32 pm
      Well he'll need to spend plenty in the next window.Has been said that FSG bought us on the cheap and if they sold up they would likely get 3 times what they paid. But we are not in this to improve the value of their investment. FSG have to provide sufficient sums to meet our expectations.

£100m will be needed to be spent to keep us in the top 4 and to have a serious attempt at winning the league.
      Would we have spent that sort of money (£75m) on VVD and the money we are spend on Keita if they weren't get the money for Coutinho...??
      I believe not
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24134: Feb 27, 2018 12:18:37 am
      Would we have spent that sort of money (£75m) on VVD and the money we are spend on Keita if they weren't get the money for Coutinho...??
      I believe not

Yeah, that's fair enough. Just watching the spend really. I know your not giving them a thumbs up or anything. Money has been spent but it needs to be maintained. They have done well out of us. Let them repay that with a serious spend of the filthy lucre.

Just enough to keep us in contention might appease most of the fans. Klopp will buy it as well. It's obviously easy for me or anyone to demand a money no object stance but lets just see how far they will go before we give them to much credit.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #24135: Feb 27, 2018 01:23:11 am
      Yeah, that's fair enough. Just watching the spend really. I know your not giving them a thumbs up or anything. Money has been spent but it needs to be maintained. They have done well out of us. Let them repay that with a serious spend of the filthy lucre.

Just enough to keep us in contention might appease most of the fans. Klopp will buy it as well. It's obviously easy for me or anyone to demand a money no object stance but lets just see how far they will go before we give them to much credit.

They  got the club at a bargain.  It was the circumstances.  But they are not going to put any of the money they have gained from the valuation back into to the transfer budget.   They never promised it and won't do it.   I just hope they use all the money available to them on running the club that is what I expect of them.  I don't expect them to say well we have made at least 600m profit so let us put a couple of hundred and treat the fans. That just does't happen. 

I have been driving a car for over 25 years.  Let say I have bought 8 cars.  The car which I bought previous to the one I have now lasted about 9 months and then I had to flog it at a massive loss because it had serious issues and mechanics were sending me round in circles and costing me too much.  The car which I bought after which I still have has been absolutely brilliant flew through most of the MOT and has given me over 8 years of peace of mind.  I'm not going to find my log book and think well let me find the last owners address and send him a bonus cheque.  It was nice of the owner to be truthful and had looked after his car, but at the time he had his plans and wanted to sell the car. 

I think the club is an a healthy position and well managed.  I do think we need to bringing good players but I can only expect it to come from the financial resources the club as an organisation can accumulate.  They are just not going to share their profit with the fans. 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24136: Feb 27, 2018 02:10:10 am
      Well yes Klopp can keep us within the top 4/5 but if FSG even loosen the rug he could easily be priced out of it. All managers buy flopps. But we can't just absorb the impact and move on to the next target. FSG have not bank rolled Klopp, not by a long way. Shrewd tho it may be. Wise to hold back but Klopp must be given enough to replace the quality we have lost.

I'm not saying FSG have conned us but are they happy to see us 4/5...with improved staduim capacity. Arsenal did that and it worked, not because of the owners. It was because they had Wenger. Klopp has a long long way to go to even come anywhere near Wengers record.

Well then you need new owners because if it comes down to straight cash we are not going to compete against Utd and two clubs that are effectively owned by oil money...plain and simple...its not a matter of FSG funding more the truth is pound for pound all 3 of those clubs could pummel us financially no if's and or buts about it.

Arsenal/Spurs are a different story entirely we can compete with them across the board but not the other 3.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24137: Feb 27, 2018 07:03:01 am
      I believe not

I agree with you,the Coutinho cash was the catalyst for VVD and we won't of paid for Keita yet.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #24138: Feb 27, 2018 11:05:34 am

Think that you misunderstand me... I totally agree with you about their under investment in players and although we can not match the Utd's, City's and Chelsea of the world, we should at least be there or there abouts with the Arsenal's and Tottenham's  of the world...

If people were to really think about this I feel pretty sure that no one would be calling for £££M of pound to be spent in ever window, but to miss out on players  for the sake of 10k's in wages is almost criminal...

We cannot be spending less than teams like Everton etc, because as you pointed out there will come a point were thoughts team will start to overhaul us and we will find ourselves descending into the mid-table and once there it is all to easy to become relegation fodder

(Edit) I don't think that it is a wise strategy to buy young players cheap and sell them high and then re-invest the money earned from that sale... Yes it looks good at first glance... £85m for Suarez... Re-invested... £130m for Coutinho re-invested
      But the problem with doing it that way is you have to find and sell a player year or  every other year minimum, and they are always a
      Top Player which mean you have a good run every other season before you sell that player and you become like Southampton

And after a good run in the Premier League where are they sitting now...?
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2018 09:35:21 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24139: Feb 27, 2018 11:33:59 am
      Hmmm... Not overly excited by the FSG ownership but I think it's time we moved on from the net spend argument...

Some are asking Klopp to spend for the sake of spending..

Klopp has exceeded expectations with what is a nominal net spend compared to others around us..

We have one foot in the QF of the CL after a 10 year sabbatical & we are 2points of 2nd place MU who have spent a sh*t load to maintain top 4 status...

I don't think anyone wants spending for the sake of spending. Klopp is in no real hurry to build his team, he believes he'll get there eventually.
      Some (including myself) believe we could get there  quicker if the purse strings were loosened a little more.
      We will get top 4, I'm confident about that, but we're miles behind City, and that's the real measure of success 🏆🏆🏆

I'm all for only spending what we make, but if we didn't have the world wide fanbase, and if it hadn't been for the huge amount of TV money, and the money that being in the Premier league brings in through sponsorship, where would we be under FSG's
      ownership?

A lot closer to the bottom than the top is my guess!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #24140: Feb 27, 2018 11:51:36 am
      I don't think anyone wants spending for the sake of spending. Klopp is in no real hurry to build his team, he believes he'll get there eventually.
      Some (including myself) believe we could get there  quicker if the purse strings were loosened a little more.
      We will get top 4, I'm confident about that, but we're miles behind City, and that's the real measure of success 🏆🏆🏆

I'm all for only spending what we make, but if we didn't have the world wide fanbase, and if it hadn't been for the huge amount of TV money, and the money that being in the Premier league brings in through sponsorship, where would we be under FSG's
      ownership?

A lot closer to the bottom than the top is my guess!

I'm sure Klopp is on record stating money is always available but the player he wants as some clubs won't sell unless their seasons are already over competition wise..

As for being more closer to the bottom than top I disagree..

Under Moore's we couldn't compete financially with the likes of Arsenal,Manc,Chelsea but we were just as successful Trophy wise..

I'm not defending FSG but we have been close to adding silverware to the only solitary cup under their ownership..

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24141: Feb 27, 2018 01:16:21 pm
      I'm sure Klopp is on record stating money is always available but the player he wants as some clubs won't sell unless their seasons are already over competition wise..

As for being more closer to the bottom than top I disagree..

Under Moore's we couldn't compete financially with the likes of Arsenal,Manc,Chelsea but we were just as successful Trophy wise..

I'm not defending FSG but we have been close to adding silverware to the only solitary cup under their ownership..

Being close to silverware isn't good enough. Second is nowhere mate!

My point is Moore's spent plenty of his own money to get us those trophies, FSG spend none of their money, and the result has been a trophy drought.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #24142: Feb 27, 2018 01:54:48 pm
      The good news is we look pretty F***ing good as it is and lots of money left in the bank from the Coutinho sale even if we minus the VVD fee. We have Keita to come in and i've been forced to have a rethink on the debate that we need to replace Coutinho. I would personally strengthen further in the forward line with Sturridge and Ings set to depart and that leaving us very short on back up, but our front 3 carries our midfield to the point where it almost doesn't matter that Hendo, Can, Ox, Milner, Wijnaldum lack real creativity. Can is leaving but Keita comes in so the midfield actually looks settled.

The strengthening therefore for me lies primarily at the back. A partner for VVD and goalkeeper to be proud of.

We have the basis of a title challenging team, I hope Fenway provide the funds for a decent spend on top of assuring Can is the only first team player we lose.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #24143: Feb 27, 2018 02:12:16 pm
      This argument just goes around and around and around, its so bloody boring now.

The bottom line is that FSG are not a rich Saudi prince or a Russian billionaire, they are a company who invests sensibly and is making good progress in building the LFC brand and a large part of that is improving the fortunes of the club on the pitch, hence why they went out and secured one of the best managers in the world.

I honestly don't know what some of you guys want, in one breath you call Chelsea and Citeh phony plastic clubs and in the second cry like a baby that we aren't buying Messi and Neymar each and every window, you cannot have it both ways.

From my point of view they are doing a good job, they are increasing the revenues of the club and backing the manager when he requests it.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24144: Feb 27, 2018 03:27:10 pm
      This argument just goes around and around and around, its so bloody boring now.

The bottom line is that FSG are not a rich Saudi prince or a Russian billionaire, they are a company who invests sensibly and is making good progress in building the LFC brand and a large part of that is improving the fortunes of the club on the pitch, hence why they went out and secured one of the best managers in the world.

I honestly don't know what some of you guys want, in one breath you call Chelsea and Citeh phony plastic clubs and in the second cry like a baby that we aren't buying Messi and Neymar each and every window, you cannot have it both ways.

From my point of view they are doing a good job, they are increasing the revenues of the club and backing the manager when he requests it.

Straw argument! I haven't seen a single person on this forum with an opinion like that.

Truth is, if it wasn't for for the continued sale of our top players ( regardless if they wanted to leave or not) our net spend would be akin to a championship side.

If Jürgen can make this work, brilliant! He's probably the only manager in the world that could, but while we build the side slowly, City will continue to but those ready made players that guarantee success.

I get the impression you think top 4 is an achievement. It's essential but there are no trophies handed out for qualifying for the Champions league.
      You can say we can't compete with City due to their financial clout, we could with owners like theirs.

*edit* This may seem.like pissing and moaning to you, it is, but isn't a forum a place to voice an opinion?
      I will always hope for better than we get, no matter what it is!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #24145: Feb 27, 2018 04:39:24 pm
      Straw argument! I haven't seen a single person on this forum with an opinion like that.

Truth is, if it wasn't for for the continued sale of our top players ( regardless if they wanted to leave or not) our net spend would be akin to a championship side.

If Jürgen can make this work, brilliant! He's probably the only manager in the world that could, but while we build the side slowly, City will continue to but those ready made players that guarantee success.

I get the impression you think top 4 is an achievement. It's essential but there are no trophies handed out for qualifying for the Champions league.
      You can say we can't compete with City due to their financial clout, we could with owners like theirs.

*edit* This may seem.like pissing and moaning to you, it is, but isn't a forum a place to voice an opinion?

These are the misinformed who are delighted with the second best/runners up titles - as well as the wums who latch on to the 7 years of none achievement under FSG and are as happy as pigs in sh*t.
      Like yourself I will always want better than we get, especially under these owners and wait in vain for those all winning days to return.

As a sobering thought contemplate our fortunes (or not) if and when Klopp exits and we are left once again under the misguided auspices of JWH&Co.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #24146: Feb 27, 2018 06:42:51 pm

Sorry to laugh but you started off by saying that no one on this forum is asking for Citeh like spending then finished by saying that you wished for it, which sort of proves my point, thanks :-)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #24147: Feb 27, 2018 06:46:42 pm
      These are the misinformed who are delighted with the second best/runners up titles - as well as the wums who latch on to the 7 years of none achievement under FSG and are as happy as pigs in sh*t.
      Like yourself I will always want better than we get, especially under these owners and wait in vain for those all winning days to return.

As a sobering thought contemplate our fortunes (or not) if and when Klopp exits and we are left once again under the misguided auspices of JWH&Co.

Yes because everyone with a different point of view to you must be misinformed!

All I want is for the team to progress, which I think we can all agree that we are, I'm not sure I want some more money than sense brat pumping his oil fortune into the club, I'd rather we earn the league title than buy it.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24148: Feb 27, 2018 06:54:35 pm
      Sorry to laugh but you started off by saying that no one on this forum is asking for Citeh like spending then finished by saying that you wished for it, which sort of proves my point, thanks :-)

Well no it doesn't. I haven't asked for City like spending with THESE owners, I'm stating that with owners like City's we could. Would I swap FSG for Sheik Monsour? In a heartbeat! The man actually has an interest in football and cares about the on field success of his club.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24149: Feb 27, 2018 06:57:00 pm
      Yes because everyone with a different point of view to you must be misinformed!

All I want is for the team to progress, which I think we can all agree that we are, I'm not sure I want some more money than sense brat pumping his oil fortune into the club, I'd rather we earn the league title than buy it.

We earned our other titles by spending money on players, just like City are doing this season.
      £75 million on VanDijk! Does that count as earning a league title?

Quick Reply