Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2642098 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #24150: Feb 27, 2018 07:11:03 pm
      Would we have spent that sort of money (£75m) on VVD and the money we are spend on Keita if they weren't get the money for Coutinho...??
      I believe not

How long was the protracted signing of VVD going on for. I mean from the first noted interest, and similar for Keita. I'm not 100 % sure, but I think both these deals were first sounded out before Barca showed any interest in Couts.
      If thats the case, as I suspect it is, then the fee from cuts sale was not an issue in signing the other two. As I remember it, Klopp also done everything he could to get Couts to stay. Are you suggesting, if he did stay, the other two signings would have been binned ?
      Somehow, I don't think so.
      Think someones trying to create a mood of,  FSG out, you don't spend enough ! Yet none of our previous owners have spent anything close. We may refer to it as minuscule net spend, but thats only because we've shipped out the dead wood. Perhaps you'd prefer we kept all the dross on the payroll, just to create a more positive net spend. Mind Boggling this. Moaning for the sake of moaning.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24151: Feb 27, 2018 07:41:02 pm
      How long was the protracted signing of VVD going on for. I mean from the first noted interest, and similar for Keita. I'm not 100 % sure, but I think both these deals were first sounded out before Barca showed any interest in Couts.
      If thats the case, as I suspect it is, then the fee from cuts sale was not an issue in signing the other two. As I remember it, Klopp also done everything he could to get Couts to stay. Are you suggesting, if he did stay, the other two signings would have been binned ?
      Think someones trying to create a mood of,  FSG out, you don't spend enough ! Yet none of our previous owners have spent anything close. We may refer to it as minuscule net spend, but thats only because we've shipped out the dead wood. Perhaps you'd prefer we kept all the dross on the payroll, just to create a more positive net spend. Mind Boggling this. Moaning for the sake of moaning.

The links with Barcelona and Coutinho went back to the previous season a far as I remember. It's like this, if the Van Dijk and Keita signings weren't reliant on the Coutinho fee, it will become clear (or not) in the summer when we see how much is available.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #24152: Feb 27, 2018 09:29:33 pm

Did we put in a bid for VVD before we sold Coutinho...? and Have we bought Keita... Yes a deal was put in place for Keita but we were told back then that we were buying him and loaning him back, that's how it was sold to Liverpool supporters... FSG had in their minds already sold Coutinho to Barca and the only persons who did not know it were some of the Liverpool supporters and possibly Klopp and Coutinho himself.... Some of us here knew it was a done deal they were never going to pass up such a huge profit on a player

"edit" said this before but i think it is worth saying again

"I don't think that it is a wise strategy to buy young players cheap and sell them high and then re-invest the money earned from that sale... Yes it looks good at first glance... £85m for Suarez... Re-invested... £130m for Coutinho re-invested
      But the problem with doing it that way is you have to find and sell a player year or every other year minimum, and they are always a
      Top Player which mean you have a good run every other season before you sell that player and you become like Southampton

And after a good run in the Premier League where are they sitting now...?"
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2018 09:35:47 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24153: Feb 27, 2018 11:15:26 pm
      The links with Barcelona and Coutinho went back to the previous season a far as I remember. It's like this, if the Van Dijk and Keita signings weren't reliant on the Coutinho fee, it will become clear (or not) in the summer when we see how much is available.

There is only one party who could pre-empt the rumours about Barca and Coutinho, having such knowledge that party could make far reaching plans for the anticipated fee.
      Going on experience Van Dijk and Keita will prevent the hand in the till scenario which that certain party are keen to avoid.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #24154: Feb 28, 2018 12:24:22 pm
      Well no it doesn't. I haven't asked for City like spending with THESE owners, I'm stating that with owners like City's we could. Would I swap FSG for Sheik Monsour? In a heartbeat! The man actually has an interest in football and cares about the on field success of his club.

How do you know Sheikh Mansour has interest in football?

Man City's majority shareholder is Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment, which is a private equity fund that specializes in investments, you really think they are there because they have a passion for football and care about the club? They make so much money on different investments all over the world and not necessarily just in sports. They are FSG (in terms of buying something and creating value) but with more money and look into building value and long term growth by investing in business infrastructure and development. Hence the more success they have the more their value increases. The same way FSG are doing with less resources and that's why it takes more time with us than them. ADUG even sold minor shares to a Chinese based company CITIC, do you really think because the Chinese have interest in football? or maybe because for both ADUG & CITIC want to build a commercial success in the Chinese market. I can't seem to find their annual revenues/income because it seems Emirates don't have the same transparency laws foun in Europe or US but I'm sure they make 5 times what FSG make, so if you want owners like that then fair enough but saying they are interested in football? naaah.

When owners like ADUG & FSG decide to move on they will leave their respective clubs in a very very healthy financial situation in respect to Abramovic, who keeps loaning Chelsea money to buy players with high interest.
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018 12:54:21 pm by Arab Scouse »
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24155: Feb 28, 2018 12:37:12 pm
      Doubt any fan thinks interest in football in a prerequisite for investment. FSG are earning year in year out and have probably trebled their capital investment in us and will continue to prosper.

£13m net spend per year since taking over is not a massive investment in the playing strength. It's the bottom line that they are ultimately concerned with.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #24156: Feb 28, 2018 12:51:24 pm
      Being close to silverware isn't good enough. Second is nowhere mate!

My point is Moore's spent plenty of his own money to get us those trophies, FSG spend none of their money, and the result has been a trophy drought.

Moores couldn't get us to the next stage and he is one of the reasons why we declined in the 90s and why we didn't end up winning a league title. We played second fiddle to Man Utd who had more spending power because of their stronger commercial success and the way they marketed their club. Moores couldn't compete with that, maybe because he couldn't find better sponsors than his old ones who paid little or he had an incompetent CEO under him in Rick Parry who couldn't do a better job. You can't even compare Moores with FSG, both were under different circumstances, the latter bought the club riddled with debt, poor players, poor manager and an outdated business structure that was still stuck in the late 80s early 90s. Thankfully we got rid of our old sponsors and got better ones, developed our stadium, developed our commercial strategy, improved our infrastructure. in 2008 we were making around 40m in matchday revenues, in 2016 we made around 70m. same in commercial from around 65m to around 130m in commercial activities (I did not even include broadcast revenues or tv rights). Future plans is developing our stadium again by increasing it's capacity and introducing our new 50m training complex.

Yeah all this took time and it will take time, I've said it from the beginning I don't see this as a short term fix and it will take more time until we can compete financially with the likes of Man Utd & Man City but we will get there eventually. But saying FSG don't spend money is a myth because they have and they've been very very supportive of Klopp and who he wanted to sign. Klopp seems very happy so that's good to me. When the time comes in the summer and Klopp thinks Jorginho is a 60m player and Napoli are willing to sell him for that much then I don't think the owners will hesitate because they support their manager like they've done with VVD and his other signings.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24157: Feb 28, 2018 01:30:41 pm
      How do you know Sheikh Mansour has interest in football?

Man City's majority shareholder is Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment, which is a private equity fund that specializes in investments, you really think they are there because they have a passion for football and care about the club? They make so much money on different investments all over the world and not necessarily just in sports. They are FSG (in terms of buying something and creating value) but with more money and look into building value and long term growth by investing in business infrastructure and development. Hence the more success they have the more their value increases. The same way FSG are doing with less resources and that's why it takes more time with us than them. ADUG even sold minor shares to a Chinese based company CITIC, do you really think because the Chinese have interest in football? or maybe because for both ADUG & CITIC want to build a commercial success in the Chinese market. I can't seem to find their annual revenues/income because it seems Emirates don't have the same transparency laws foun in Europe or US but I'm sure they make 5 times what FSG make, so if you want owners like that then fair enough but saying they are interested in football? naaah.

When owners like ADUG & FSG decide to move on they will leave their respective clubs in a very very healthy financial situation in respect to Abramovic, who keeps loaning Chelsea money to buy players with high interest.

Sheik Monsour's first thought was to build a team capable of winning the Premier league. That was his priority as it made Man City a world wide name almost immediately. FSG's priority was increase this value of the club it seems.

Now of course making us self sustainable was important due to the FFP rules, but it seemed for a long time that it making their investment grow was far more important to them than the number of trophies we won. I still believe that's the case, if we don't win a trophy, I don't think it will concern then as long as we quality for the CL on a regular basis.

Sadly there's a lot of fans that feel the same way.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24158: Feb 28, 2018 01:47:41 pm
      Moores couldn't get us to the next stage and he is one of the reasons why we declined in the 90s and why we didn't end up winning a league title. We played second fiddle to Man Utd who had more spending power because of their stronger commercial success and the way they marketed their club. Moores couldn't compete with that, maybe because he couldn't find better sponsors than his old ones who paid little or he had an incompetent CEO under him in Rick Parry who couldn't do a better job. You can't even compare Moores with FSG, both were under different circumstances, the latter bought the club riddled with debt, poor players, poor manager and an outdated business structure that was still stuck in the late 80s early 90s. Thankfully we got rid of our old sponsors and got better ones, developed our stadium, developed our commercial strategy, improved our infrastructure. in 2008 we were making around 40m in matchday revenues, in 2016 we made around 70m. same in commercial from around 65m to around 130m in commercial activities (I did not even include broadcast revenues or tv rights). Future plans is developing our stadium again by increasing it's capacity and introducing our new 50m training complex.

Yeah all this took time and it will take time, I've said it from the beginning I don't see this as a short term fix and it will take more time until we can compete financially with the likes of Man Utd & Man City but we will get there eventually. But saying FSG don't spend money is a myth because they have and they've been very very supportive of Klopp and who he wanted to sign. Klopp seems very happy so that's good to me. When the time comes in the summer and Klopp thinks Jorginho is a 60m player and Napoli are willing to sell him for that much then I don't think the owners will hesitate because they support their manager like they've done with VVD and his other signings.

I won't dispute that Moore's took us a far as he could. I also won't dispute that FSG have increased our revenue streams.

One thing that's obvious, is that even with more money coming in through sponsorship and especially TV money, we are still only spending big after the sale of star players, so the extra money coming in hasn't resulted in more money available for player acquisitions.
      So basically we have healthy accounts, but the trophy count reamins low.

I'm always hearing "were getting closer", it's been 7 years and we're 18 points behind City (after thursday night) with 10 games to go!  How many years of getting closer is they going to be?

The selling of the top players has to stop for if we're to progress. It's up to Jürgen and FSG to make sure that happens.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #24159: Feb 28, 2018 02:19:59 pm
      Sheik Monsour's first thought was to build a team capable of winning the Premier league. That was his priority as it made Man City a world wide name almost immediately. FSG's priority was increase this value of the club it seems.

Now of course making us self sustainable was important due to the FFP rules, but it seemed for a long time that it making their investment grow was far more important to them than the number of trophies we won. I still believe that's the case, if we don't win a trophy, I don't think it will concern then as long as we quality for the CL on a regular basis.

Sadly there's a lot of fans that feel the same way.

Do you really think without ADUG's financial power Man City would be as good as they are now? If they had as much money as FSG, do you really think they can afford to build a 200m world class training complex? or compete with Man Utd? We wouldn't be having this conversation if they did, they would also, like FSG worked under conditions that wouldn't deplete their resources and put the club under financial distress.

Most owners want a team that can challenge for trophies (except for Mike Ashley) it all depends on resources. I don't agree with you, FSG wants Liverpool to be at the top but they want to do it their way and that's fair enough to them. It might not go well with some fans but so far they have done most of what we asked for no? In time we will trophies because they hired a top coach and supported him in every transfer window so far.

Actually lots of fans also don't share yours and other's sentiments on FSG, it's practically divided opinion.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #24160: Feb 28, 2018 02:27:46 pm
      I won't dispute that Moore's took us a far as he could. I also won't dispute that FSG have increased our revenue streams.

One thing that's obvious, is that even with more money coming in through sponsorship and especially TV money, we are still only spending big after the sale of star players, so the extra money coming in hasn't resulted in more money available for player acquisitions.
      So basically we have healthy accounts, but the trophy count reamins low.

I'm always hearing "were getting closer", it's been 7 years and we're 18 points behind City (after thursday night) with 10 games to go!  How many years of getting closer is they going to be?

The selling of the top players has to stop for if we're to progress. It's up to Jürgen and FSG to make sure that happens.

Mate,

Like I said, and  I said this a long time ago, it takes a lot of time to be where we want to be (I think I said maybe 10-15 years, don't remember). I'm only optimistic that we will get there because when I look at our strategy and business model it looks good and it gives me optimism. Also you cannot judge the signings of VVD and Keita on Coutinho sale because we aren't in the summer yet and maybe the proceeds of Coutinho will go to signing other players.

I understand that a lot of the fans, especially the older generation just want to see the league title again because I've only been a Liverpool fan for the past 18 years so it makes me on the younger generation side that hasn't seen the club winning a premier league, but I'm relaxed and happy we have good custodians and a great manager who is doing well so far. Time will tell, what matters is we sign the right players in the summer, just like we are doing so far under Klopp.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24161: Feb 28, 2018 05:13:25 pm
      Mate,

Like I said, and  I said this a long time ago, it takes a lot of time to be where we want to be (I think I said maybe 10-15 years, don't remember). I'm only optimistic that we will get there because when I look at our strategy and business model it looks good and it gives me optimism. Also you cannot judge the signings of VVD and Keita on Coutinho sale because we aren't in the summer yet and maybe the proceeds of Coutinho will go to signing other players.

I understand that a lot of the fans, especially the older generation just want to see the league title again because I've only been a Liverpool fan for the past 18 years so it makes me on the younger generation side that hasn't seen the club winning a premier league, but I'm relaxed and happy we have good custodians and a great manager who is doing well so far. Time will tell, what matters is we sign the right players in the summer, just like we are doing so far under Klopp.

Your acceptance of the second-best/runners up badge that this club has been forced to accommodate under JWH&Co is not readily taken on board by all.
      Do not jumble "older supporters" and your claimed "happy and relaxed" younger mind set with the fact that in 7 years we have won F**k all under these owners.

If you were a younger fan, let's say 7 years old, going to the game and getting ice cream and having a good day out with your arl fella you would indeed feel relaxed and happy, by way of contrast if you add 40 or so years to the age mentioned there could be an entirely different attitude to the proposition - something called experience comes into play.

What jumps out is our owners are speculators, businessmen who only act out a part of that description.
      The business anthem is feed an investment.
      As opposed to leave the asset ticking over and cream the dividend for the investors.

JWH&Co would be extremely happy to have "fans" like you supporting  their money pig venture with the echoing trophy cabinets their version of ownership entails.
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018 05:22:41 pm by stuey »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24162: Feb 28, 2018 05:36:21 pm
      Mate,

I don't accept your 10-15 year time frame for success, that's an unreasonable amount of time to wait. That's likely how long before we reach maximum value more like.

It's not like we came up through the leagues, we're one if the biggest football teams in the world. The potential for rapid growth on their initial investment was almost a sure thing in their eyes, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered. This wasn't some rescue mission, it was a minimal risk investment!

Maybe the Coutinho money is safely in the bank to be used on Lamar and Allison, but that wouldn't be true to form thus far.

I will happily admit I was wrong in thinking that we wouldn't spend £70 on a defender, I'll be over the moon to be proved wrong over the Coutinho money.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #24163: Feb 28, 2018 07:40:33 pm
      Your acceptance of the second-best/runners up badge that this club has been forced to accommodate under JWH&Co is not readily taken on board by all.
      Do not jumble "older supporters" and your claimed "happy and relaxed" younger mind set with the fact that in 7 years we have won f**k all under these owners.

If you were a younger fan, let's say 7 years old, going to the game and getting ice cream and having a good day out with your arl fella you would indeed feel relaxed and happy, by way of contrast if you add 40 or so years to the age mentioned there could be an entirely different attitude to the proposition - something called experience comes into play.

What jumps out is our owners are speculators, businessmen who only act out a part of that description.
      The business anthem is feed an investment.
      As opposed to leave the asset ticking over and cream the dividend for the investors.

JWH&Co would be extremely happy to have "fans" like you supporting  their money pig venture with the echoing trophy cabinets their version of ownership entails.

Don't talk to me like you're some kind of ''super fan'' because you've seen it all, your post is condescending just because my view is different than yours. If you want to be stuck in the past and think that the owners of today's game are passionate about football just like they were in the 60s and 70s that's your problem, but the game has evolved and changed and owners have to run it like a business.

I'm relaxed because I don't buy into those silly conspiracy theories I see on here on daily basis especially at the beginning when I read arguments against the owners because they have ''second books'', or they are ''siphoning money out of the club'' and other silly assertions that have been proven false over and over again. Now I see excuses like ''net spend'' like that really matters when we just spent 75m on a defender that no one on here saw that coming.  I also don't buy that argument about the owners only here for the money. They want success as much as we do and the fact they did not take any money out of the club so far has shown their commitment into investing and improving the club. All you do is compare them to G&H .

Nothing would make me happy to see a club that I support winning trophies, but spare me if I'm being super patient at the moment because we've improved a lot since 2010 on and off the pitch.  ''fans'' like me are pro Liverpool just like your self, we want what's best for the club. We have a great manager, 3rd in the league so far, still in the Champions League, signing the players Klopp want and next year we will have a new and improved training facility that will give us an extra edge, but all I hear is ''net spend'', and every time we have 1 or 2 bad results people blame FSG. I don't think they will ever win, even if we end up winning something.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #24164: Feb 28, 2018 07:59:38 pm
      I don't accept your 10-15 year time frame for success, that's an unreasonable amount of time to wait. That's likely how long before we reach maximum value more like.

It's not like we came up through the leagues, we're one if the biggest football teams in the world. The potential for rapid growth on their initial investment was almost a sure thing in their eyes, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered. This wasn't some rescue mission, it was a minimal risk investment!

Maybe the Coutinho money is safely in the bank to be used on Lamar and Allison, but that wouldn't be true to form thus far.

I will happily admit I was wrong in thinking that we wouldn't spend £70 on a defender, I'll be over the moon to be proved wrong over the Coutinho money.

No such thing as maximum value.

They are a sports investment group and they invested in sports  and made them successful, that's what they want to do with Liverpool. Remember how many on here said they would sell quickly just to make a buck? well... they are still here.

Minimal risk investment? It was risky as it could get. Investing in any football team is a huge risk, never mind a football team that was on the brink of administration. Even if we are big, it doesn't matter when it comes to a club being in financial mess. Just because they bought the club undervalue doesn't mean it was minimal risk. I don't buy the rescue mission either, I really don't care about those cliches. IMO FSG probably did their due diligence right, looked at our current assets and our international fanbase, saw potential to awake the sleeping giant and made a calculated risk to purchase the club. If they didn't, they wouldn't have taken the risk to buy us in the first place, even if it was only for 200m.

It wouldn't be true because we haven't reached the summer yet, so only time will tell.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24165: Feb 28, 2018 08:17:45 pm
      No such thing as maximum value.

They are a sports investment group and they invested in sports  and made them successful, that's what they want to do with Liverpool. Remember how many on here said they would sell quickly just to make a buck? well... they are still here.

Minimal risk investment? It was risky as it could get. Investing in any football team is a huge risk, never mind a football team that was on the brink of administration. Even if we are big, it doesn't matter when it comes to a club being in financial mess. Just because they bought the club undervalue doesn't mean it was minimal risk. I don't buy the rescue mission either, I really don't care about those cliches. IMO FSG probably did their due diligence right, looked at our current assets and our international fanbase, saw potential to awake the sleeping giant and made a calculated risk to purchase the club. If they didn't, they wouldn't have taken the risk to buy us in the first place, even if it was only for 200m.

It wouldn't be true because we haven't reached the summer yet, so only time will tell.

There has to be a maximum value, the point where the  TV revenue is as high as it is likely to get, the point where every possible form of sponsorship has been accomplished, and the point where they think they won't get more than a certain amount if they sold the club atc any point in the future.

They most certainly did their due diligence, there was a leaked letter that said they could get us for a steal, and they did. An already established world wide brand like liverpool would always be to make a profit in than a Leicester City for example.

By minimal risk I mean that by not investing their own money after the initial capital, they didn't stand to loose money.
      I'm glad you don't but into the whole saviour thing, American business men rarely are show sentiment when it comes money making.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #24166: Feb 28, 2018 09:43:12 pm
      There has to be a maximum value, the point where the  TV revenue is as high as it is likely to get, the point where every possible form of sponsorship has been accomplished, and the point where they think they won't get more than a certain amount if they sold the club atc any point in the future.

They most certainly did their due diligence, there was a leaked letter that said they could get us for a steal, and they did. An already established world wide brand like liverpool would always be to make a profit in than a Leicester City for example.

By minimal risk I mean that by not investing their own money after the initial capital, they didn't stand to loose money.
      I'm glad you don't but into the whole saviour thing, American business men rarely are show sentiment when it comes money making.

TV revenues won't stop, it will increase steadily from here till the next thousand years, that is if there won't be an alien invasion. No businessman or investor would tell you that they would reach peak and stop there. I think they are going to be here for a while and when the time comes and another investor is interested and presents a bid of the valuation that FSG is looking for then that's that.

I read those emails, I agree with that they bought us at an undervalued price. Any investor would tell you they have a lot to lose when they purchase a company. Good thing he mentions Warren Buffet in those emails, who I admire a lot and read his essays, because even the Oracle of Omaha has stated many times that investments in clubs, companies, etc... are risks but you have to calculate risk and rarely anyone uses cash, purchases are mostly debt driven.

They did invest in their own money to increase the stadium capacity albeit in an intercompany loan that charged no interest. Roman, Chelsea's owner does the same exact thing but he charges huge interest on those loans. I prefer that the club supports its self on it's own because it means that we have a solid foot financially.

I'm not into cliches and romantics mate, even when it comes to Klopp. All I want to see, just like you and all others are results on and off the pitch. FSG are a sports company, they bought LFC because it would diversify their sports portfolio that's it and nothing more.

So far we are doing well off and we are seeing progress on, so that's why i'm being optimistic. I'll also wait for this year's financial statements to come out as usual to read them and if I see something wrong I'll be the first one to be concerned, but so far so good and we are going in the right path.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #24167: Feb 28, 2018 10:05:54 pm
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24168: Feb 28, 2018 10:49:17 pm

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while.

TV revenue is going to get a second wind when the digital sphere of broadcasting gets involved, and they will. I bet my arse you'll be watching a Premier League game on Twitter or Facebook etc. after the next negotiation of rights for broadcast.

Sponsorship goes hand in hand with data from fans. As long as there are fans out there who are engaged with the club, sponsors will come knocking. It's all about sports and eSports for sponsors to collect that data and that means the money will keep flowing in.

This thread has been the same for what must be five years or so. At that time i said they'd be here for the next decade when a lot of posters bought in to the idea that they were going to flip and sell. But here they are still five years later and no sign of selling and the usual suspects are pedaling the same nonsense.

They're our owners for a while yet. Buckle up.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #24169: Feb 28, 2018 11:15:01 pm
      This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while.

TV revenue is going to get a second wind when the digital sphere of broadcasting gets involved, and they will. I bet my arse you'll be watching a Premier League game on Twitter or Facebook etc. after the next negotiation of rights for broadcast.

Sponsorship goes hand in hand with data from fans. As long as there are fans out there who are engaged with the club, sponsors will come knocking. It's all about sports and eSports for sponsors to collect that data and that means the money will keep flowing in.

This thread has been the same for what must be five years or so. At that time i said they'd be here for the next decade when a lot of posters bought in to the idea that they were going to flip and sell. But here they are still five years later and no sign of selling and the usual suspects are pedaling the same nonsense.

They're our owners for a while yet. Buckle up.
      I understand what he is trying to say... You'll only get the full range of revenue so long as the club is successful... By this I mean their are plenty of kids growing up who have seen Arsenal, Utd,Chelsea and City successful in the Title race, Fa, and League Cups and there about in the CL... These thing sells Shirts, and other Merchandise and draw the attention from sponsors, Lick Nike, Adidas etc... If you look at Utd the have some of the biggest sponsorship deal in the PL. Why... because of recent successes. Useless we can start win trophies and titles again on a regular basis our fan base among the up and coming youngster will start to fall away, which will mean fewer shirt and merchandise sell which will mean we look less attractive to the bigger sponsors and so there will come appoint were we will see the value of the club along with it's TV, Sponorship deals and Merchandise sell max out..At which point FSG may move on
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24170: Feb 28, 2018 11:50:39 pm
      I understand what he is trying to say... You'll only get the full range of revenue so long as the club is successful... By this I mean their are plenty of kids growing up who have seen Arsenal, Utd,Chelsea and City successful in the Title race, Fa, and League Cups and there about in the CL... These thing sells Shirts, and other Merchandise and draw the attention from sponsors, Lick Nike, Adidas etc... If you look at Utd the have some of the biggest sponsorship deal in the PL. Why... because of recent successes. Useless we can start win trophies and titles again on a regular basis our fan base among the up and coming youngster will start to fall away, which will mean fewer shirt and merchandise sell which will mean we look less attractive to the bigger sponsors and so there will come appoint were we will see the value of the club along with it's TV, Sponorship deals and Merchandise sell max out..At which point FSG may move on

I know what he's saying but it's an extremely oversimplified view that is way off the mark.

The equation of "winning things = more money" is rather archaic. Only one club can win something at a time in any competition. There are also many levels of success depending on the stature of a club. It's more about building a fan base that is highly engaged with the club and then hoping to experience the benefits that come with that. This is of course heightened when a club actually achieves success.

The evolution of sporting brands over the past couple of years shows how clubs are still in their infancy in capitalising on sponsorship and fan engagement. It's also why you're seeing so much effort being put in to the digital mediums now. And whilst that's occurring, measuring the effectiveness of digital communications is still very difficult.

The focus in the sporting world now is capturing attention, converting non-fans in to fans and then turning that in to transactional behaviour. Right now, no organisation in the world, let alone sporting club, is even close to maximising that potential.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #24171: Apr 18, 2018 12:57:51 pm
      Where have they gone?..not a squeak from the owners ;D
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #24172: Apr 18, 2018 01:13:47 pm
      Where have they gone?..not a squeak from the owners ;D

Who cares where they are. Just pump in £200m of fresh transfer funds for the next window. And another £200m of new money for the winter window.

Quick Reply