Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2641161 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #24357: Jul 27, 2018 04:04:52 pm
      The problem with that is, its easy now to say "oh this was the plan from the beginning", but the reason we now look capable of challenging for the title is because FSG have left behind their moneyball philosophy. That was their original strategy.
      We had a lot of fans saying " I would hate it if we started spending huge sums on players like City and Chelsea". Those fans are now rejoicing at the signings of Allison and VanDijk, whereas some of us were arguing that this was the only way we would compete.

I am over the moon that FSG are finally stepping up to the plate and seem to have made on field success a priority now.

I'll give FSG the credit they deserve for this window,  it shows real intent. If this is the new reality, signing players like VD, Allison, Salah, Mane.. Instead of Illori, Alberto, Lambert, Mario, then there can be no complaints.

I'm not crowing or saying "I told ya'". When they took over I said, If you want to know who Henry and FSG are, look at what happened in Boston. The Red Sox have one the best front offices in Baseball.  They build Champions.  They dont buy championships. I know that MLB Baseball and the EPL are completely different.  But, the process and the plan for building a Championship club while being financially viable and commercially relevant can be applied to any sport. Its also very telling that Henry owns 2 teams which are relatively mirror images of eachother. Similar history's, insanely loyal and knowledgeable fan bases. Geographically similar, politically and economically similar. The Stadiums are both considered architectural landmarks and fortresses to opposing teams.  I dont think any other owner was as suited and able to care for and protect the history and legacy of Liverpool FC than Henry and FSG. I dont live in Liverpool and cant comment on what FSG have brought to the community around Anfield. But, I think most supporters will agree that scrapping any plans for a new stadium and reinvesting and modernizing Anfield is preferred to tearing it down. Look at what happened to West Ham. They also had a fortress surrounded by a vibrant neighborhood. Now they're completely neutered in a sh*t stadium, next to a f***in mall in the middle of a cement ocean. Their fans HATE the stadium and the club suffered.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24358: Jul 27, 2018 04:42:46 pm
      I'm not crowing or saying "I told ya'". When they took over I said, If you want to know who Henry and FSG are, look at what happened in Boston. The Red Sox have one the best front offices in Baseball.  They build Champions.  They dont buy championships. I know that MLB Baseball and the EPL are completely different.  But, the process and the plan for building a Championship club while being financially viable and commercially relevant can be applied to any sport. Its also very telling that Henry owns 2 teams which are relatively mirror images of eachother. Similar history's, insanely loyal and knowledgeable fan bases. Geographically similar, politically and economically similar. The Stadiums are both considered architectural landmarks and fortresses to opposing teams.  I dont think any other owner was as suited and able to care for and protect the history and legacy of Liverpool FC than Henry and FSG. I dont live in Liverpool and cant comment on what FSG have brought to the community around Anfield. But, I think most supporters will agree that scrapping any plans for a new stadium and reinvesting and modernizing Anfield is preferred to tearing it down. Look at what happened to West Ham. They also had a fortress surrounded by a vibrant neighborhood. Now they're completely neutered in a sh*t stadium, next to a f***in mall in the middle of a cement ocean. Their fans HATE the stadium and the club suffered.

I wasn't having a go at you mate, just disagree with your assessment. I'm just happy to be at the point that we're now buying quality players, regardless of how we got here.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #24359: Jul 27, 2018 04:47:16 pm

I believe the Red Sox were supposed to get a new stadium prior to FSG buying them? seem to recall that going on then talks broke down and when FSG took over they did the remodel of Fenway.

Yankee stadium i think is another example of a new stadium not going well. From what i understand fans generally do not like the new stadium as it does not have that feel the old one did.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #24360: Jul 27, 2018 04:47:43 pm

Proper old school Liverpool fan's attitude was not to go shouting our mouths off until we had won something. That was what I meant about not crowing just yet. End the coming season with a trophy or 2 in the cabinet and you can wax lyrical about the owners all you want.

I'm just not tempting fate yet!!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24361: Jul 27, 2018 07:50:35 pm
      Seems every time I give FSG credit, they do something to F**k it up for me again. Hopefully this is the window where I can't retire from the "dont trust FSG" club. Fingers crossed!
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #24362: Jul 28, 2018 11:01:29 am
      What also will have helped is the massive player sales

Let's not ignore that

No, we shouldn't ignore it. However, my point was about long-term investment: developing the training complex, expanding the stadium, the massive over hall of the club shop … those improvements will be felt by the club and will gain the club additional £££s for many years to come.

Player sales are one-offs and do nothing to create sustainable growth so, in terms of developing sustainable revenue, selling players will have done absolutely nothing. It's worth noting though that a lot of transfers - especially the big high-profile ones - are paid in instalments over a number of years: TV revenue brings in more money in a typical financial year. Everyone understandably thinks that selling players is the main source of revenue but in a typical financial year it probably won't work out that way
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #24363: Jul 28, 2018 12:24:20 pm
      Seems every time I give FSG credit, they do something to f**k it up for me again. Hopefully this is the window where I can't retire from the "dont trust FSG" club. Fingers crossed!

so you won't be too upset when they sell the Tea Lady. If it suits them and the timing is right for them they will sell any one of our players. the bottom line is for them the bottom line they have no interest in football and no interest in Liverpool football club they are probably still jerking off at how cheaply they bought the club from Hicks and Gillette. As long as we don't see much of them or here about them well all is good. We never used to discuss owners or directors in the past it would be great if we could get back to that because it will mean success on the pitch.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #24364: Jul 28, 2018 01:58:21 pm
      We never used to discuss owners or directors in the past it would be great if we could get back to that because it will mean success on the pitch.

In today's game, the two are inextricably linked … being successful in one means being successful in the other. I agree that the running of the club shouldn't be fans' primary focus of attention and it should mainly be about the football but sadly in today's game to get to the very top you need to be on top of the commercial side of things too
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24365: Jul 28, 2018 02:28:05 pm

What also will have helped is the massive player sales

Let's not ignore that

Not to be ignored either is the fact that that the two managers credited with signing Coutinho and the previous money pig Suarez were both sacked by FSG.
      Benitez and Dalglish enriched shareholders and provided the means to rebuild the team respectively yet where both given the bullet according to the "wisdom" of FSG.

Kopite78
      Reply #24366: Jul 28, 2018 02:32:36 pm

Not to be ignored either is the fact that that the two managers credited with signing Coutinho and the previous money pig Suarez were both sacked by FSG.
      Benitez and Dalglish enriched shareholders and provided the means to rebuild the team respectively yet where both given the bullet according to the "wisdom" of FSG.

Rafa was sacked before the takeover
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24367: Jul 28, 2018 02:45:59 pm
      Rafa was sacked before the takeover

Of course, mustn't suggest any correlation between H&G and the current American owners. FSG do operate lawfully and to infer otherwise is highly questionable.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24368: Jul 29, 2018 07:02:54 am
      so you won't be too upset when they sell the Tea Lady. If it suits them and the timing is right for them they will sell any one of our players. the bottom line is for them the bottom line they have no interest in football and no interest in Liverpool football club they are probably still jerking off at how cheaply they bought the club from Hicks and Gillette. As long as we don't see much of them or here about them well all is good. We never used to discuss owners or directors in the past it would be great if we could get back to that because it will mean success on the pitch.

To be fair mate, we rarely hear a peep and the Coutinho transfer showed it’s not up to them who gets sold or when.

They’ve done their job. Pretty well, too. Now let’s hope the football finishes the job and we can celebrate a thing or two come season’s end.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #24369: Jul 29, 2018 09:04:28 am
      Of course, mustn't suggest any correlation between H&G and the current American owners. FSG do operate lawfully and to infer otherwise is highly questionable.

In part I agree with you - both H & G and FSG are groups of very wealthy businessmen and both see LFC as a business, which as a professional sports club in the 21st century, it ultimately is.

For me the main difference is that FSG see LFC as a long-term investment whereas H & G were more about asset-stripping and trying to make a fast buck. We were very close to bankruptcy when FSG came in and are in a much stronger position financially now than we were back then because of FSG's investment in sustainable sources of revenue.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24370: Jul 29, 2018 10:24:54 am
      In part I agree with you - both H & G and FSG are groups of very wealthy businessmen and both see LFC as a business, which as a professional sports club in the 21st century, it ultimately is.

For me the main difference is that FSG see LFC as a long-term investment whereas H & G were more about asset-stripping and trying to make a fast buck. We were very close to bankruptcy when FSG came in and are in a much stronger position financially now than we were back then because of FSG's investment in sustainable sources of revenue.

Apart from the monies to stave off the bankruptcy process and a loan in respect of the modification of Anfield the owner's have failed to follow the business anthem of feeding an investment.
      Such procedure indicates faith in the company as a long term investment.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #24371: Jul 29, 2018 11:45:41 am
      I don't see how you can be annoyed at the owners for this years business so far.

Has to be a positive step even for their most staunch haters.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24372: Jul 29, 2018 12:38:49 pm
      I don't see how you can be annoyed at the owners for this years business so far.

Has to be a positive step even for their most staunch haters.

Suppose it is an improvement on buying journey men as in the previous years but with Jürgen calling the shots we are in safe hands.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #24373: Jul 29, 2018 11:23:13 pm
      I think FSG deserve credit for the change in transfer strategy, we are now competing for top players and I kinda feel like the perception of LFC has changed a bit with the purchases of VVD, Keita and now Alisson. It tells other top players that we are here to compete as an upper echelon club with a top manager and the ability to bring in high quality players. However, i'm still concerned about the depth of the squad. We were literally running on fumes for the latter part of last season. two quality midfielders have come in with Keita and Fabinho but they have effectively replaced Can and Ox. Obviously the upgrade at the goal keeper position was an absolute must but returning to the issue of squad depth we have only technically added One outfield player in terms of numbers with 2 out and 3 in so we could quite possibly find ourselves in the exact same position this season, particularly if we make some progress in the domestic cups. It does worry me that we were in for a player like Fekir who was a clear replacement for Coutinho but since that feel through and The big money went for the keeper it seems now not to be a priority. I don't believe that Shakiri was brought in as an alternative to Fekir as they are very different players.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24374: Jul 29, 2018 11:31:40 pm
      I think FSG deserve credit for the change in transfer strategy, we are now competing for top players and I kinda feel like the perception of LFC has changed a bit with the purchases of VVD, Keita and now Alisson.
      It tells other top players that we are here to compete as an upper echelon club with a top manager and the ability to bring in high quality players.
      However, i'm still concerned about the depth of the squad. We were literally running on fumes for the latter part of last season. two quality midfielders have come in with Keita and Fabinho but they have effectively replaced Can and Ox.
      Obviously the upgrade at the goal keeper position was an absolute must but returning to the issue of squad depth we have only technically added One outfield player in terms of numbers with 2 out and 3 in so we could quite possibly find ourselves in the exact same position this season, particularly if we make some progress in the domestic cups.
      It does worry me that we were in for a player like Fekir who was a clear replacement for Coutinho but since that feel through and the big money went for the keeper it seems now not to be a priority.
      I don't believe that Shakiri was brought in as an alternative to Fekir as they are very different players.

We had over a dozen players back from loan and four new signings including a free in from Chelsea.
      We've got the numbers.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #24375: Jul 29, 2018 11:50:26 pm
      We had over a dozen players back from loan and four new signings including a free in from Chelsea.
      We've got the numbers.

Seems more likely the squad will be trimmed. Woodburn and Gruciq look like thy are heading out on loan, Wilson has just gone. Origi will likely follow either on loan or hopefully a sale and Ojo won't be far behind. It looks like there might be takers for Migs and Markovic so it's quite possible it will be several out and the another player or two coming in. But as things stand I'm not entirely convinced we have got the numbers mate. Time will tell.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24376: Jul 29, 2018 11:54:51 pm
      Seems more likely the squad will be trimmed. Woodburn and Gruciq look like thy are heading out on loan, Wilson has just gone. Origi will likely follow either on loan or hopefully a sale and Ojo won't be far behind. It looks like there might be takers for Migs and Markovic so it's quite possible it will be several out and the another player or two coming in. But as things stand I'm not entirely convinced we have got the numbers mate. Time will tell.

Fair Comment.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #24377: Jul 30, 2018 04:56:10 am
      Apart from the monies to stave off the bankruptcy process and a loan in respect of the modification of Anfield the owner's have failed to follow the business anthem of feeding an investment.
      Such procedure indicates faith in the company as a long term investment.

‘Apart from a loan for Anfield’. There it is again, Stuey dismissing anything positive the owners do.

And I think it’s safe to say it’s a long term investment for them since they’ve been here 10 years now Stu.

10 years! Maybe time for you to change the record?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #24378: Jul 30, 2018 08:35:06 am
      ‘Apart from a loan for Anfield’. There it is again, Stuey dismissing anything positive the owners do.

And I think it’s safe to say it’s a long term investment for them since they’ve been here 10 years now Stu.

No this is a Stuey vendetta which will run and run, his major issue is that its some bloody foreigners owning the club. Pretty much everything they do is bad in his eyes.
      I just have a little chuckle whenever he goes on a rant or pretends that he's ignoreing my posts!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #24379: Jul 30, 2018 10:39:30 am

Maybe that’s the only record he’s got? ;D

Quick Reply