Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2644278 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #25461: Jul 08, 2019 12:58:37 pm
      This may be a stupid question but one that I dont know the answer to, but does Fenway own the woman's team as well?

Reason I ask is because it seems to be a bit of a pushover in the WSL and it would be nice for 'the brand' and the club I guess for them to be up to standard of the mens team.

Post womans world cup there will be more focus on the ladies game I feel. It's only going to get bigger.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #25462: Jul 08, 2019 01:56:39 pm
      This may be a stupid question but one that I dont know the answer to, but does Fenway own the woman's team as well?

Reason I ask is because it seems to be a bit of a pushover in the WSL and it would be nice for 'the brand' and the club I guess for them to be up to standard of the mens team.

Post womans world cup there will be more focus on the ladies game I feel. It's only going to get bigger.

Not in the UK it isn’t - just like last time , overhype of the Women’s Game during the World Cup , once it’s over all the hype does away.

The standard is rubbish , it’s poor to watch and that’s the main reason why it’s not going to grow in the UK
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #25463: Jul 08, 2019 02:17:18 pm

I doubt it, at least at the club level. In the US they haven't been able to keep a women's league afloat for long. Not enough talent to fill so many teams at a club level in various countries.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #25464: Jul 08, 2019 02:17:48 pm
      Not in the UK it isn’t - just like last time , overhype of the Women’s Game during the World Cup , once it’s over all the hype does away.

The standard is rubbish , it’s poor to watch and that’s the main reason why it’s not going to grow in the UK

but but they deserve the same money as men get.....ha ha ha not before hell freezes over. I cant think of a mens team in any league that wouldn't give the best Womens team a good hiding. Its slow methodical and football by numbers. If its so good people will flock to watch it but just like Tranmere they will always struggle to get more than 5k-7k because of the quality. All this hype for womens sport is easy to over come just make all Sport gender neutral and open to all.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25465: Jul 08, 2019 02:30:51 pm
      I doubt it, at least at the club level. In the US they haven't been able to keep a women's league afloat for long. Not enough talent to fill so many teams at a club level in various countries.

The buzz will only exist in a corporate and marketing sense. It changes nothing in a.competitve context. Every four years a group of Americans get excited for no apparent reason, and the rest of the world get excited about trying to stick it to the Americans. Then it ends and we move on.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #25466: Jul 08, 2019 08:15:27 pm
      but but they deserve the same money as men get.....ha ha ha not before hell freezes over. I cant think of a mens team in any league that wouldn't give the best Womens team a good hiding. Its slow methodical and football by numbers. If its so good people will flock to watch it but just like Tranmere they will always struggle to get more than 5k-7k because of the quality. All this hype for womens sport is easy to over come just make all Sport gender neutral and open to all.

Haha I dont think equal pay is seriously on the agenda. Just dont see why we are languishing down the bottom year on year and think it would be better to sort it out a bit.

Like it or not there is an agenda to get womens ckub football into the mainstream. I see already that the WSL has a new sponsor and greater prize money. I think the ladies team while carrying Liverpools name, badge, kit etc... will have to raise its game.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #25467: Jul 08, 2019 10:58:27 pm
      The product (women's football) is simply not good enough to command a decent TV audience . The media are busting a gut to push this agenda but in the end people will vote with one of their digits and not tune in.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #25468: Jul 09, 2019 09:47:58 am
      While I think it's good there is a push for women's football at the moment some comments are absolutely crazy as some have pointed out.

The world cup has been good, and should hopefully get some more funding into the women's side of the game which will help develop better players. It will have to be a slow build where we see the quality increase over time, and with the increase in quality comes a gradual increase in funding and pay for the players. It's the only way to do it.

The calls for men and women to be paid the same will only serve to kill women's football forever. Why on earth would a club pay the women's side which take in less than half a percent of the clubs revenue the same as the mens team? It just doesn't make sense at all. If in some weird theoretical world clubs were forced to pay the men's and women's team the same amount, then clubs would happily scap the women's team, no question about it.

Now if there is a sudden boom and the women's team is selling out Anfield every week, then fair enough they deserve the same money, but that's not the case right now so they just don't. Like I said, slow increases to funding and wages will bring slow increase in the product which in turn keeps the funding and wages trending upwards.

Let's not get carried away on a wave of social justice here. The women's game is miles better than 20 years ago, but still a long way to go before we start looking at it like the UFC, track and field or tennis.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25469: Jul 09, 2019 12:13:53 pm
      While I think it's good there is a push for women's football at the moment some comments are absolutely crazy as some have pointed out.

The world cup has been good, and should hopefully get some more funding into the women's side of the game which will help develop better players. It will have to be a slow build where we see the quality increase over time, and with the increase in quality comes a gradual increase in funding and pay for the players. It's the only way to do it.

The calls for men and women to be paid the same will only serve to kill women's football forever. Why on earth would a club pay the women's side which take in less than half a percent of the clubs revenue the same as the mens team? It just doesn't make sense at all. If in some weird theoretical world clubs were forced to pay the men's and women's team the same amount, then clubs would happily scap the women's team, no question about it.

Now if there is a sudden boom and the women's team is selling out Anfield every week, then fair enough they deserve the same money, but that's not the case right now so they just don't. Like I said, slow increases to funding and wages will bring slow increase in the product which in turn keeps the funding and wages trending upwards.

Let's not get carried away on a wave of social justice here. The women's game is miles better than 20 years ago, but still a long way to go before we start looking at it like the UFC, track and field or tennis.

Do track athletes get equal pay?

More on topic, corporate America pays a lot of.lip service to issues like this, but ultimately they respond to the marketplace, and as Mags says, the respective markets for men's and women's football are light years apart. Fenway is likely going to get a lot of good publicity with this, will probably try to somehow involve the USA team with the Liverpool Ladies somewhere in the tour, and then things move on as before.
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2019 03:59:41 pm by Robby The Z »
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #25470: Jul 09, 2019 01:12:42 pm

Who's campaigning for equal pay at the club level? i have only heard of this happening in the US at the national level.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #25471: Jul 09, 2019 02:10:41 pm
      Who's campaigning for equal pay at the club level? i have only heard of this happening in the US at the national level.

It's mostly people who's opinion shouldn't be taken seriously to be honest.

The US one I can actually agree with. The men and women get a wage for playing for the national team and if anything, the women should be getting more. They not only have more success but sell more kits and have more people come and watch them play. Makes sense to give them more money.

At club level there is not the same amount of popularity however and the pay should curtailed there as it's not a sensible option for the women's game at club level.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #25472: Jul 09, 2019 02:42:07 pm

Just an easy slogan but the complaints are genuine.Bigger issue is the money in football staying at the top and not getting down to the ordinary folks at grassroots level,dunno why anyone would advocate for that.Football was always about access for all.So money should come from the rich cu*ts making hundreds of thousands a week to the poor kids trying to find a field,the local clubs trying to buy goals,balls etc to the u-14's to the womens teams etc etc.The corporate suits that sit back skimming off the cash are a F***ing cancer.The minimum salary in the us womens league is less than 20,000,but there's folks saying that's OK?? cos the games are poor.Working class heroes.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #25473: Jul 09, 2019 02:49:04 pm

Don't forget we won the league twice 4 or 5 years back but yeah they did a revamp type thing of the team,which has kinda killed it,Our u-18 team won the league last year so maybe they are looking that way,do need a few quality internationals in though.I guess we'll see how it plays out over the post world cup/preseason now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #25474: Jul 09, 2019 02:53:23 pm
      women's football is compared to EPl a very poor standard and like the lower leagues they are rewarded accordingly  Give me Tranmere to watch every week compared to womans football
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #25475: Jul 09, 2019 03:01:46 pm
      women's football is compared to EPl a very poor standard and like the lower leagues they are rewarded accordingly  Give me Tranmere to watch every week compared to womans football

What kinda argument is that? course it is,still doesn't stop the epl putting out some garbage games though.The difference between Tranmere and say Marine or COL is big too but does that mean there is no place for them in football?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25476: Jul 09, 2019 05:02:06 pm
      A few things on equal pay, when it relates to football (and in this case, American football - I'm certain this is what would drive FSG thinking on starting any women's team).

Revenue generated from last year’s Men’s World Cup (otherwise known as: The World Cup) was just more than 6 Billion (with a “B” and all my currency on this post are U.S. dollars). Revenue from the just completed Women’s World Cup was $130 Million (with an “M”). The prize money therefore, is not going to be equal, because the revenue is far from equal.

Now, for the U.S. Women’s and Men’s National Teams, the women’s matches indeed generated more revenue in 2018 (with the men failing to make the World Cup finals). But the difference is telling, because the women’s team here has won the Olympics four times and The World Cup four times, they are folk heroes of a sort – subject of ad campaigns, etc. but their matches earned 50.8 million. At the same time, the men’s team, a bunch of nobodies who most casual sports fans in America couldn’t name a single player of (or maybe one or two – far less than women’s team members) – their matches generated 49.9 million in revenue, playing fewer overall matches – less than 1 million in difference.

Supposedly the USA women did make more including bonuses in 2018 than the men, not sure of the exact numbers there (It seems simple enough that the U.S. Federation would negotiate bargaining agreements with both national teams and base it on  revenue earned - including merchandise, sponsorship, etc. – I don’t know what  the numbers would end up being with this, but perhaps they would be fairly close – and who could really argue with similar or equal pay for that?) -

The women’s pro league in America, as others on here have noted, has struggled at the ticket window. This is the third or fourth iteration of a national women’s league. A team folded last year and there are nine remaining. Two average more than 10,000 in attendance, but the other 7 all draw fewer than 5,000 per game. In the men’s league, Major League Soccer, the lowest attendance average is for Chicago, at 11K per match. The leading team, Atlanta, draws 70,000 per game and its overall attendance for four games has outdrawn the entire women’s league attendance for the season. So they aren’t getting equal pay for that.

Of course the differences in attendance between men’s and women’s matches in England are far greater, and you also have fairly well attended men’s matches all the way into the 5th and 6th tiers of the English football pyramid. But it is the market that drives the pay for these players, as it does in most industries, including entertainment. 

Equal pay for equal work sounds good, but ultimately the real world is about equal pay for equal value (not a subjective definition of value – but value as shown in the evidence). If a place of business is artificially rigging this system to keep a group of people down, all it takes is the public market to rise up and say, “we like the product that X (in this case, women footballers) produces better or an equal amount” and the wage structure will follow the market demand.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #25477: Jul 09, 2019 07:07:58 pm

What kinda argument is that? course it is,still doesn't stop the epl putting out some garbage games though.The difference between Tranmere and say Marine or COL is big too but does that mean there is no place for them in football?

its not an argument its a fact and the fact is in sport you get paid what you are worth .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25478: Jul 09, 2019 08:10:53 pm
      its not an argument its a fact and the fact is in sport you get paid what you are worth .

Well that’s not true at all. Unless for example you think Rashford is worth 300k a week. To which if you do, then you are saying he’s worth more than any of our lads because we aren’t paying anyone, even Virgil that kind of money. Get paid what you’re worth apparently...
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #25479: Jul 09, 2019 09:24:06 pm
      Well that’s not true at all. Unless for example you think Rashford is worth 300k a week. To which if you do, then you are saying he’s worth more than any of our lads because we aren’t paying anyone, even Virgil that kind of money. Get paid what you’re worth apparently...

What's Alexis Sanchez on these days? totally worth it!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #25480: Jul 14, 2019 01:08:17 pm
      I hope FSG are adding on interest to this debt. Still owe us and yet paying €100m for other players. FFP my arse.

https://twitter.com/Mobyhaque1/status/1150170261112725506?s=19
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #25481: Jul 16, 2019 05:51:46 pm
      We've officially ruined Christmas!! No Evertonian kids will be getting Fifa this year.

Liverpool FC scores new partnership with EA SPORTS

Liverpool FC has teamed up with creator of the EA SPORTS™ FIFA game series, Electronic Arts Inc., in a new long-term partnership to help fans get closer to and engage with the world of football entertainment.

A global leader in video game development, EA SPORTS will now become the club’s official football simulation game partner, ahead of the launch of EA SPORTS FIFA 20, available worldwide in September.

The partnership will see LFC and EA SPORTS working together to create content that is specific for the club for fans to enjoy globally across the club’s social channels.

Billy Hogan, managing director and chief commercial officer at LFC, said: “Both on and off the pitch, we’re always looking for new ways to bring our fans around the world closer to the club that they love.

“Our partnership with EA SPORTS will enable us to give our supporters even more opportunities to engage with Liverpool FC through the innovative and exciting world of gaming. We look forward to working together over the next few years.”

Samantha Ebelthite, UK&I country manager at EA, said: “We always strive to blur the lines between the virtual and real worlds of football. By partnering with Liverpool FC, we are delighted to continue breaking new ground, providing unrivalled authenticity to fans across the globe.

“It’s fantastic to become the club’s official football simulation game partner and we’re looking forward to working with the European Champions over the course of the partnership.”

EA SPORTS FIFA 20 is available to pre-order now on PS4, Xbox One and PC ahead of the game’s worldwide release on September 27.     
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #25482: Jul 16, 2019 06:13:19 pm
      We've officially ruined Christmas!! No Evertonian kids will be getting Fifa this year.

Maybe a Fabian Delph action figure then?...make a great stocking stuffer for the bluenose.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #25483: Jul 16, 2019 07:38:01 pm
      Exactly FFP is just a joke let them stew in their own stench.

Quick Reply