Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2643561 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #26128: Oct 12, 2020 07:04:51 pm

Ah here i defo need to get to specsavers
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26129: Oct 12, 2020 07:44:14 pm
      Sounds like a F***ing circus owner

Conveniently a former Red Sox Team manager and one of the main people behind the whole Moneyball system.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #26130: Oct 12, 2020 08:03:13 pm
      Conveniently a former Red Sox Team manager and one of the main people behind the whole Moneyball system.

Yep I believe so not that I know a lot of about the moneyball thing
      Kopite78
      Reply #26131: Oct 12, 2020 08:17:51 pm
      Moneyball

Buying low selling high

Accounts for the club as well as players
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #26132: Oct 13, 2020 12:00:15 am
      Billy Beane runs another American baseball club, the Oakland Athletics, not Boston.

This group he has put together would be buying into FSG, not Liverpool per se. Reportedly there is an idea of building a network of clubs similar to what Red Bull has done, where Liverpool would of course be the pinnacle similar to the way RB Leipzig is for that outfit. The idea of course is teams where players from all over the world can be signed and developed before being sold or moved to Liverpool.

FSG have always said they are open to a major investor.

As far as Moneyball being buy low and sell high, remember that in American sports, players are not acquired via transfers between clubs. They are either swapped under their existing contracts or purchased as free agents (think Bosman transfers).

But in Beane's case with Oakland, the owner didn't have the funds to compete with bigger market teams like New York, Boston and Los Angeles, so he used analytics to identify players he could sign for lower contracts. It's much more about buying low than it is about selling high.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #26133: Oct 13, 2020 01:33:07 am
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #26134: Oct 14, 2020 04:20:45 pm
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #26135: Oct 14, 2020 04:55:45 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26136: Oct 14, 2020 05:38:08 pm
      Holy moly, I think I understood like 25% of what he was saying.

He was on about buying tickets for sanitary towels and making a brew and how those in the main stand get wheeled out by David Fairclough on a match day to listen to the Manchester library while eating curried salt & vinegar chips, I think 🤔😁

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #26137: Oct 14, 2020 05:58:06 pm
      He raises some good points but I’m not sure where the compromise is. The game has turned into a money game. You have to have loads to compete and the only way to get loads of money is to market to a larger market than just your local supporters. When you do that you are inevitably going to get the tourists and the folks that will spend £100 for a ticket because it’s an experience and they won’t get to do it more than once or twice in their lifetime. But that pushes up the cost for the locals, the ones that should be able to see as many games as they want for a decent price. I was amazed that in the new proposal you’d be able to see an away game for £20. That’s literally dirt cheap. I can’t do anything entertaining in the States for that kind of money.  Hell, I can’t even buy fast food for the whole family for that cheap. Over here it’s a minimum of $100 for a ticket to any decent sporting event or concert. Prices are ludicrous but it’s because if people like me balk at paying them, someone else will be along. I imagine football will go the same way as the game becomes even more popular especially in places like the States.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26138: Oct 14, 2020 06:10:26 pm
      Holy moly, I think I understood like 25% of what he was saying.

The lad is absolutely spot on with everything he said.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #26139: Oct 14, 2020 10:34:30 pm
      He raises some good points but I’m not sure where the compromise is. The game has turned into a money game. You have to have loads to compete and the only way to get loads of money is to market to a larger market than just your local supporters. When you do that you are inevitably going to get the tourists and the folks that will spend £100 for a ticket because it’s an experience and they won’t get to do it more than once or twice in their lifetime. But that pushes up the cost for the locals, the ones that should be able to see as many games as they want for a decent price. I was amazed that in the new proposal you’d be able to see an away game for £20. That’s literally dirt cheap. I can’t do anything entertaining in the States for that kind of money.  Hell, I can’t even buy fast food for the whole family for that cheap. Over here it’s a minimum of $100 for a ticket to any decent sporting event or concert. Prices are ludicrous but it’s because if people like me balk at paying them, someone else will be along. I imagine football will go the same way as the game becomes even more popular especially in places like the States.

Just on your point on ticket prices over in the States mate.

When we were in New York a couple of years ago we got tickets to the Mets for $11 each. Now the seats were high enough in the stands but great seats with brilliant views etc on a Friday evening.

Now I'm not a huge baseball fan, football for me in US Sports so no idea if that's the norm or not.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #26140: Oct 15, 2020 12:23:09 am

When we were in New York a couple of years ago we got tickets to the Mets for $11 each. Now the seats were high enough in the stands but great seats with brilliant views etc on a Friday evening.

Now I'm not a huge baseball fan, football for me in US Sports so no idea if that's the norm or not.

11 dollars for a baseball game has to be the absolute low end for tickets - extremely rare. A number of teams have set aside some seats, up in the stratosphere as you mention, at a similar rate just to say they are giving people a chance to watch - but it's much more typical for seats to go in the 30s and 40s, and the very best seats will cost hundreds of dollars each - and typically are purchased by corporations and businesses to use for entertaining clients, maybe rewarding employees, etc.

Remember that U.S. baseball is played every day April through September and has 81 home games.

American football and basketball tickets are much more expensive on the average. I know for me, going to a game in person is much more of a once per season kind of proposition. for top-line professional sports here, it has become exceedingly difficult for real people to go to games very often, if at all.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #26141: Oct 15, 2020 01:24:46 am

Baseball is the one sport where you can get cheaper tickets depending on how well the team is doing. I don’t follow baseball that much but I was able to do that for a couple games about 10 years ago. For the most part, in demand tickets will never approach those levels.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #26142: Oct 22, 2020 01:53:59 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #26143: Jan 24, 2021 07:19:08 pm
      If they won’t back Jürgen by investing a few pennies then they should sell up and F**k off.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #26144: Jan 24, 2021 07:21:20 pm
      F***ing hell, I thought these were smart as F**k people. But this whole CB scenario shows just how F***ing dumb they are. On route to miss out on top 4 at this rate.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #26145: Jan 24, 2021 07:25:43 pm
      If they won’t back Jürgen by investing a few pennies then they should sell up and f**k off.

Invest in who? Do you mean buy someone for the sake of it?

Their record in the transfer market is very strong over the past few years - they spend well. If they haven’t bought anyone it’s because no one good enough was available
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #26146: Jan 24, 2021 07:29:00 pm

Their record in the transfer market is very strong over the past few years - they spend well. If they haven’t bought anyone it’s because no one good enough was available

Yup not one CB out there bettter than Rhys Williams.

Behave!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #26147: Jan 24, 2021 07:47:35 pm

David Alaba is available..
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #26148: Jan 24, 2021 07:53:40 pm

In the whole footballing world I’m sure there are available centre backs better than Phillips and Williams. And I’m sure our scouting department will have identified them.

No one is asking for a VVD style signing but F**k me, how can we be relying on Fab plus one other as our centre back pairing.

It’s a farce and wouldn’t be happening at any other top club.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #26149: Jan 24, 2021 08:20:54 pm

No way they will fsg cough up the cash and his wages. At least with his contract winding down we could dictate more on price. If we try for anyone else we will be over a barrel.

Nothing happening this month. Ship has sailed along with our title. This would not happen at any other top club.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #26150: Jan 24, 2021 08:27:15 pm
      In the whole footballing world I’m sure there are available centre backs better than Phillips and Williams. And I’m sure our scouting department will have identified them.

No one is asking for a VVD style signing but f**k me, how can we be relying on Fab plus one other as our centre back pairing.

It’s a farce and wouldn’t be happening at any other top club.

Kabak was scouted last year and available for around £25 million not sure why we're not in for him.

It's kind of amazing we sold a CB in the Summer and didn't sign at least one replacement.

City spent over £100 million on two CB's as they realised how crucial a position it was to strengthen in.

Quick Reply