Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2750887 times
      RedWilly and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #26197: Jan 25, 2021 10:47:22 pm
      Our middle is suffering though missing Fab and Hendo at times and yes we have missed chances but also had games where created very little Utd, West Brom , Southampton a bit of hindsight maybe. A CB is essential for me but looking unlikely for reasons many have stated

I agree, we do need one.

But wasn't Thiago supposed to fix that?

I'm sorry to keep banging this drum, but we've had many games since Klopp came here where things were sh*t.
      The same things are being said now, that were being said then.
      Remember Mo with his 15% conversion rate at one point.

So yes, I agree we need a CB, but I certainly don't think it's the cause of all our problems.

IMO we also have too many players either out of form, knackered or just not doing it.

But, it will get better.
      These players are too good for that not to happen.
      I hope it's sooner rather than later, and we saw signs on Sunday of improvement, but it may take a bit of time.

Other teams will have bad spells as well.
      If we're back flying at that point, this will all seem like a storm in a teacup.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,225 posts | 1650 
      Reply #26198: Jan 25, 2021 10:51:44 pm
      I agree, we do need one.

But wasn't Thiago supposed to fix that?

I'm sorry to keep banging this drum, but we've had many games since Klopp came here where things were sh*t.
      The same things are being said now, that were being said then.
      Remember Mo with his 15% conversion rate at one point.

So yes, I agree we need a CB, but I certainly don't think it's the cause of all our problems.

IMO we also have too many players either out of form, knackered or just not doing it.

But, it will get better.
      These players are too good for that not to happen.
      I hope it's sooner rather than later, and we saw signs on Sunday of improvement, but it may take a bit of time.

Other teams will have bad spells as well.
      If we're back flying at that point, this will all seem like a storm in a teacup.

Yep that's it saw a team posted somewhere with injured players back and wow what a team think right about the looking back element and realize maybe a blip problem is the length of the comebacks certainly Joe and VVD . In regards to Thiago think a few factors but playing very deep at moment hopefully that will change also
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26199: Jan 25, 2021 10:56:20 pm
      Yep that's it saw a team posted somewhere with injured players back and wow what a team think right about the looking back element and realize maybe a blip problem is the length of the comebacks certainly Joe and VVD . In regards to Thiago think a few factors but playing very deep at moment hopefully that will change also

Half a season left, not much more than 80 points will win it.

We still have it all to play for.
      I just hope Klopp gets the lads going soon.

The deja vu gets me.
      I've heard Klopp say this a few times before, and he sorted it out.
      rossyred

• 9,225 posts | 1650 
      Reply #26200: Jan 25, 2021 10:59:37 pm
      Half a season left, not much more than 80 points will win it.

We still have it all to play for.
      I just hope Klopp gets the lads going soon.

The deja vu gets me.
      I've heard Klopp say this a few times before, and he sorted it out.

Starting Thursday hopefully certainly some signs against Mancs where in all honestly could of won that on another day and would be a completely different attitude things can change in blink of an eye
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #26201: Jan 25, 2021 11:01:40 pm
      I'm a little confused by some recent posts.

Are some seriously suggesting we didn't need to get a centre-back in this window? Not even a loan?

I'm trying to think back at the circumstances that meant we got Steven Caulker on loan. I'm fairly sure the defensive situation wasn't as dire as it is right now?  Prepared to be corrected on that.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26202: Jan 25, 2021 11:05:19 pm
      Starting Thursday hopefully certainly some signs against Mancs where in all honestly could of won that on another day and would be a completely different attitude things can change in blink of an eye

Exactly.

I've seen far too much over the years for a few games to define a team or a season.

We're a lot better than this, and we all know it.
      rossyred

• 9,225 posts | 1650 
      Reply #26203: Jan 25, 2021 11:07:44 pm

Are some seriously suggesting we didn't need to get a centre-back in this window? Not even a loan?

I'm trying to think back at the circumstances that meant we got Steven Caulker on loan. I'm fairly sure the defensive situation wasn't as dire as it is right now?  Prepared to be corrected on that.

Can't see many posters saying we don't need one at all  tbh there are some who are saying why we won't but don't think any saying we don't need one
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26204: Jan 25, 2021 11:10:20 pm

I don't think I did.
      One concern would be who to drop from the 25 senior players.

Then there's the wages/turnover.

Then there's the fit.
      No point getting someone in if they're a donkey with no pace - we've already got a couple of those, young as they might be.

We need to get someone in, but is there any point in just doing it for the sake of doing it?

Then there's the Fabinho thing.
      He said Klopp has had him playing CB in training sometimes since he came here, which would seem to mean that was part of a plan for cover.

So while I 100% agree that we need someone in, there's other things to consider than just getting a warm body to make up the numbers.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #26205: Jan 25, 2021 11:31:51 pm

Re Caulker, there were a lot of injuries at the time but i don't know how many or for what duration compared to just now. I seem to remember that was one where someone else basically lined up the deal and Jürgen was like "Umm, OK I guess" and hadn't really established all of his m.o. by then. I know he appeared in a few games, often as a target man in the late going (seems like he started in defence in a Cup match) but then started experiencing personal problems and was hardly involved thereafter.

I do think Klopp is somewhat reluctant to loan a player in for the sake of chemistry, etc. (along with what Swab mentioned re the squad limits).

We clearly are short a centre back but buying one is not as simple as we'd like.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,380 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #26206: Jan 25, 2021 11:34:19 pm
      Seen some absolutely laughable names linked like mustafi. The time to have brought in another cb was in the summer when Jürgen was adamant that what he had was sufficient.  To pin the blame purely on the owners is unfair. Yes you can't bank on two getting serious injuries but going with vvd and Joe along with Joel who when fit is top class was always going to carry an element of risk. We aren't going to sign anyone
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,053 posts | 2744 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #26207: Jan 26, 2021 10:03:23 am
      Looks like talks have ended with Redball about buying a minority stake
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #26208: Jan 26, 2021 10:11:19 am
      You guys are great

"If you raise ticket prices we'll boycott......but spend more!!!"
      "We'll fight stadium expansion.....but spend more!!!"
      "Minimize summer concert revenue.....but spend more!!"
      "No Super League with super revenues....we prefer schedule filler cups vs 3rd division squads in 8,000 seat venues.....but spend more!!"
      "No game day revenue for a year and a half....Irrelevant ....spend more!!"
      "Teams are going bankrupt left and right....first bail them out....then spend more!!"

So many wise spenders of other people's money.

Never met a single red that's been against the expansion of Anfield so I've got no idea where you've plucked that one from. Don't know anybody who's arsed about summer concerts taking place at the stadium either.

But all that aside, just because you're tightening the purse strings doesn't mean you're making the correct economic decision. Sometimes you need to spend money in order to make money.  The financial gulf between going out and signing a centre half this window or not signing one won't be as large as the gulf between winning the title and/or a European Cup and not winning the title and/or a European Cup. Or even the difference between finishing inside the top four and not finishing inside the top four. It's a constant game of weighing up the risks & rewards of your decisions or indecisions
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2021 10:29:42 am by TameImpala »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #26209: Jan 26, 2021 10:20:18 am
      Whatever the FSG Apologists say Klopp has come out and said he wants a CB.

Thats all i need to hear rather than the accountants here banging on about COVID - a lot smaller clubs than us can bring in players!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,138 posts | 4893 
      Reply #26210: Jan 26, 2021 12:28:57 pm
      Whatever the FSG Apologists say Klopp has come out and said he wants a CB.

Thats all i need to hear rather than the accountants here banging on about COVID - a lot smaller clubs than us can bring in players!

For the record I think we could afford a CB but I don't thinks it's a simple as just being able to afford to buy one.

Covid will be in their thoughts along with plans already to bring in CB in the summer. If we can't get a suitable short term fix in the meantime I can understand the thinking even if I don't agree with it.

I think Jürgen understands that as well, given his "I'll not cry like a baby" comment and any apparent clash with those above him is off the mark I think.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #26211: Jan 26, 2021 01:27:58 pm
      For the record I think we could afford a CB but I don't thinks it's a simple as just being able to afford to buy one.

Covid will be in their thoughts along with plans already to bring in CB in the summer. If we can't get a suitable short term fix in the meantime I can understand the thinking even if I don't agree with it.

I think Jürgen understands that as well, given his "I'll not cry like a baby" comment and any apparent clash with those above him is off the mark I think.

Yeah exactly ... loads of people seem oblivious to the fact that January is a notoriously difficult window to bring quality players in ... you get far better choice in the Summer.

I remember a few years ago, we sold Torres in this window and then went into 'panic buy' mode and spent over £35m on Andy Carroll ... it helped placate some fans in the short-term who were disappointed about losing Torres but in the long-run it was a spectacular waste of our money.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #26212: Jan 26, 2021 01:35:22 pm

The issue is well known the reason we did not replace Lovren was because we could not sell Origi, Grujic, Wilson etc.
      FSG have always sold to buy, what if in the summer the valuations of Edwards is not what buying clubs are willing to pay?
      There is zero flexibility in there business model, take out a short term loan if that’s what’s needed.

Jürgen has said he needs a CB and they should support him, simple.

Let’s not forget it wasn’t until Jürgen came that we have had any success even that in a minuscule net spend.

A lot of our players are approaching 30 how long can this business model of selling to buy carry on, I can’t see another Coutinho lottery win anywhere in the near future.

Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #26213: Jan 26, 2021 01:56:21 pm
      The issue is well known the reason we did not replace Lovren was because we could not sell Origi, Grujic, Wilson etc.
      FSG have always sold to buy, what if in the summer the valuations of Edwards is not what buying clubs are willing to pay?
      There is zero flexibility in there business model, take out a short term loan if that’s what’s needed.

Jürgen has said he needs a CB and they should support him, simple.

Let’s not forget it wasn’t until Jürgen came that we have had any success even that in a minuscule net spend.

A lot of our players are approaching 30 how long can this business model of selling to buy carry on, I can’t see another Coutinho lottery win anywhere in the near future.

IMO one of our big players will go this summer to fund any spending.

A short term loan to solve our cb problem. I agree with you, they're so stringent in their business model with no room for flexibility. It's ignorant imo.

Let's just hope it doesn't strain their relationship with Klopp
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,890 posts | 4963 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26214: Jan 26, 2021 04:02:59 pm
      Well you've got some lovely manners.

It's people like you that stopped me posting for 13+ years.

Think you can verbally attack someone for having A PERSONAL OPINION.

Learn some manners before you speak to me or keep your lonely lockdown rage to yourself 😘

Your a bit touchy mate, but I apologise if my manners got under your skin, for the record I only read your post and did not realise the reference to the possibility of loaning rather than having to buy, my bad, so again I apologise for my ignorance in that regard, still wouldn’t want Villa’s accountants though, not moving on that,

Each to their own I guess and despite any frailties you and perhaps others see in FSG i simply don’t believe they would hold back monies deliberately, not after backing Klopp previously, as for the possibility of loaning rather than buying I do see the point yourself and others are making and fail to see why that would be a issue.

Y  N  W  A

Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #26215: Jan 26, 2021 04:18:47 pm

Your a bit touchy mate, but I apologise if my manners got under your skin, for the record I only read your post and did not realise the reference to the possibility of loaning rather than having to buy, my bad, so again I apologise for my ignorance in that regard, still wouldn’t want Villa’s accountants though, not moving on that,

Each to their own I guess and despite any frailties you and perhaps others see in FSG i simply don’t believe they would hold back monies deliberately, not after backing Klopp previously, as for the possibility of loaning rather than buying I do see the point yourself and others are making and fail to see why that would be a issue.

Y  N  W  A

No harm done and thanks for the apology 👊🏽

Yeah I can't see why getting a loanee is a problem? Even one of those loan with option to buy. That type of deal seems to be more common these days with clubs more accepting to this kind of package.

I just feel like we're going to be sat here on Feb 1st asking why we never signed a cb
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,183 posts | 911 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #26216: Jan 26, 2021 04:32:32 pm
      The skinflints not buying a centre back will set us back a year piss Klopp off job well done eh....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #26217: Jan 26, 2021 04:33:48 pm
      I thought my username was quite original 😂

Can imagine it being sung on the kop returning match day 🤣

What you're expecting "Who the F***ing hell are you?" :laugh:

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,890 posts | 4963 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26218: Jan 26, 2021 04:45:18 pm
      No harm done and thanks for the apology 👊🏽

Yeah I can't see why getting a loanee is a problem? Even one of those loan with option to buy. That type of deal seems to be more common these days with clubs more accepting to this kind of package.

I just feel like we're going to be sat here on Feb 1st asking why we never signed a cb

I think that’s exactly what will happen unfortunately, reason being if there was someone in the pipeline they would be signed and sealed by now, as you may already know Jürgen only signs those who fit his criteria, young, fit mentality as well as physically and have to fit into his system and be versatile, the type that are not normally available in this window, Virgil was of course signed in a Jan window but how many Virgil van Dijk’s are floating around this time of year ?

He will not sign just anybody, and he will not want a player brought in without his approval, so i doubt we will see any new faces at all.

Y  N  W  A
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #26219: Jan 26, 2021 06:35:40 pm
      Bullshit!

If we sold Origi we'd buy a CB.

Question is if we're self sufficient where the F**k is the champions league money and prem league winners cash?

We should have had enough to buy a CB.

This is very true. Just took a look at the table. We are in big trouble for a top 4 spot. Everton set to go above us which is just horrible. 2 points ahead of them but played 2 games more. As it stands West Ham will go above us tonight, with Spurs a point behind with a game in hand.

People laughably still talk of the title but we are in a real hole of our own making just to scrape 4th.

Fail to get there it will be the ownership to blame. You can't just let the team go to pot because Covid has hit. It will have hit other teams harder than us across the continent surely, to the extent they will probably looking to sell players. 

Quick Reply