Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2646708 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #26772: Feb 21, 2021 11:14:57 pm
      I have no doubt that someone like Nagelsmann will be in the mix ,

Yeh sure he will be there aren't many klopps around with his persona and connection with the fans big shoes to fill and be massive pressure and comparisons made
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26773: Feb 21, 2021 11:16:18 pm
      Our illustrious owners wealth since taking over the reigns in 2010 has increaed from 1.1bn dollars, to 2.8bn dollars as of now. Yes he has his hand in other sports ventures as we all know (formally NESV), but are we assuming his other “projects” make his profit, but not LFC?

Instead of assuming how about you read the factual evidence in the clubs accounts

There you will see that the profits from the club stay within the club apart from loan repayments - last year the profits were around ÂŁ40mil

I believe the worth of FSG is now over 5bn

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #26774: Feb 21, 2021 11:16:33 pm
      Our illustrious owners wealth since taking over the reigns in 2010 has increaed from 1.1bn dollars, to 2.8bn dollars as of now. Yes he has his hand in other sports ventures as we all know (formally NESV), but are we assuming his other “projects” make his profit, but not LFC?

What point are you trying to make here mate?

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #26775: Feb 21, 2021 11:22:43 pm
      What point are you trying to make here mate?

Basically I don’t believe the accounts. I don’t believe there isn’t profit being made by the owners out of the club. Billionaires don’t get to that amount of wealth by “handing out freebies”.

People with that amount of wealth are only ever interested in further profit.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #26776: Feb 21, 2021 11:25:38 pm
      Basically I don’t believe the accounts. I don’t believe there isn’t profit being made by the owners out of the club. Billionaires don’t get to that amount of wealth by “handing out freebies”.

They’ve made an absolute killing on us mate and just because they’ve haven’t gone to the cash machine and drawn it all out yet is irrelevant but you’re wasting your time trying to explain.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #26777: Feb 21, 2021 11:29:14 pm

OK.

Difficult to prove one way or another but for me, and I've criticised plenty of what they have done over the years, I do believe the accounts and they have run the club exactly how they said they would when the bought it.

They never once promised to spend millions of their own money on footballers and said they would grow the squad by spending within our means which is by money generated from player sales and other incomes.

None of this was an issue when we were winning the European Cup season before last and the league title last season.

So can we take it you were happy with how they were running the club back then?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #26778: Feb 21, 2021 11:32:32 pm
      They’ve made an absolute killing on us mate and just because they’ve haven’t gone to the cash machine and drawn it all out yet is irrelevant but you’re wasting your time trying to explain.

I get it. Some people buy into it, some don’t. Don’t get me wrong, these are a million miles away from the last cowboys. They’ve attempted to make the club self sufficient, which is positive in one way. But success over last couple of seasons is down to the manager, not the transfer committee or owners. JK identified we needed a CB and a keeper and the coutinho funds were used. Had Coutinho stayed, would Jürgen have gotten his men? I’d have to say no. Not willing to spend to invest imo.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #26779: Feb 21, 2021 11:36:00 pm
      OK.

Difficult to prove one way or another but for me, and I've criticised plenty of what they have done over the years, I do believe the accounts and they have run the club exactly how they said they would when the bought it.

They never once promised to spend millions of their own money on footballers and said they would grow the squad by spending within our means which is by money generated from player sales and other incomes.

None of this was an issue when we were winning the European Cup season before last and the league title last season.

So can we take it you were happy with how they were running the club back then?

Of course I’m happy we had on field success, but for success to be continuous, squad refreshes have to happen every 3 or 4 years. It’s just natural progression. And the last couple of years we’ve rode our luck on the injury front which has now caught up with a vengeance and depleted our very thin squad. Injuries you can’t control. Depth of squad you can.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26780: Feb 21, 2021 11:37:52 pm

What killing have they made then ?

Can someone at least provide some factual evidence
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #26781: Feb 21, 2021 11:38:14 pm
      I get it. Some people buy into it, some don’t. Don’t get me wrong, these are a million miles away from the last cowboys. They’ve attempted to make the club self sufficient, which is positive in one way. But success over last couple of seasons is down to the manager, not the transfer committee or owners. JK identified we needed a CB and a keeper and the coutinho funds were used. Had Coutinho stayed, would Jürgen have gotten his men? I’d have to say no. Not willing to spend to invest imo.

Much more balanced post mate but I still disagree to an extent.

Of course the major reason for our success is the manager but to discount the recruitment people is doing that part of the club a disservice and the manager would agree as he's said countless times he cannot do it all by himself and he is happy to have people above him who help identify players to buy.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26782: Feb 21, 2021 11:40:42 pm
      Because we sold Alonso and wasted ÂŁ20plus millions on Aquilani and ÂŁ17mil on a right back

Alonso was sold for ÂŁ30 million, that went straight to the bank, H & G's first payment servicing the loan they took out. Aquilani cost nowhere near ÂŁ20 million. Whole reason we went for him was because Roma still owed us for Riise. Same reason we got Glen Johnson from Portsmouth and he never cost ÂŁ17 million either.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #26783: Feb 21, 2021 11:40:59 pm
      Of course I’m happy we had on field success, but for success to be continuous, squad refreshes have to happen every 3 or 4 years. It’s just natural progression. And the last couple of years we’ve rode our luck on the injury front which has now caught up with a vengeance and depleted our very thin squad. Injuries you can’t control. Depth of squad you can.

We literally bought one of Europe's best midfielders, and one who's style many thought we needed, and what I believe to be one of the Premier Leagues best forwards last summer.

Add a back up left back we all had been calling for and the owners could claim they have added to an already title winning squad with two players who add something we didn't have.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26784: Feb 21, 2021 11:42:34 pm

The secret to the clubs success is all areas working

The recruit model has provided the managers with some outstanding players and at times they have had to persuade the manager on which player to go for

Other clubs would love to have the same level of recruitment we have had

And as for VVD - the club were already looking to buy him in the summer before Coutinho left
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #26785: Feb 21, 2021 11:44:28 pm
      Much more balanced post mate but I still disagree to an extent.

Of course the major reason for our success is the manager but to discount the recruitment people is doing that part of the club a disservice and the manager would agree as he's said countless times he cannot do it all by himself and he is happy to have people above him who help identify players to buy.

I thought the transfer committee bought players according to profile, ie, young and potential ability and resale. I don’t see VVD fitting that mould tbh, which says to me it was a managerial decision. One where JK identified his man and told the TC to get him no matter what. They may have had other targets in that area already identified but at the end of the day, the manager has a plan on how to play and who best fits his system.

This could all be hearsay of course, but that’s how I envisage that deal happened.

leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #26786: Feb 21, 2021 11:46:26 pm

I think part of the problem is misunderstanding what increasing the wealth is. Just because their wealth had increased doesn't mean they have money sitting in the bank.

Let's say Jeff Bezos, he's worth $X billions, and growing every day, but he doesn't have al those X billions in cash, same with other billionaires. Same if you buy gold today and tomorrow it's worth 3x, that's what happened with the Club, they bought it for ÂŁ300m and now it's worth ÂŁ2b or something like that.

They haven't taken money out of the club, as it's shown in the accounts. If you chose to believe those reports or not well, up to you, but the club is audited by PWC o KPMG (don't remember which) and they won't put false reports just to fool LFC supporters, it's not how it works.

Some people might not like them, and that's ok. I think overall they've been ok.

They're have made errors, yes but also made good things too. Talking about the nets spend, yes they sold Coutinho but that made us a better team and if, hypothetically, we sell x player and buy 2 or 3 and that makes us a better team, I'm fine with that.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #26787: Feb 21, 2021 11:47:45 pm
      This thread just goes around in circles. Team wins and very little is said, form drops off then it all comes back again, the same people with the same arguments
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #26788: Feb 21, 2021 11:48:34 pm
      The secret to the clubs success is all areas working

The recruit model has provided the managers with some outstanding players and at times they have had to persuade the manager on which player to go for

Other clubs would love to have the same level of recruitment we have had

And as for VVD - the club were already looking to buy him in the summer before Coutinho left

You mean in the summer that Coutinho knew and the club knew he was going to leave...

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #26789: Feb 21, 2021 11:51:38 pm
      I thought the transfer committee bought players according to profile, ie, young and potential ability and resale. I don’t see VVD fitting that mould tbh, which says to me it was a managerial decision. One where JK identified his man and told the TC to get him no matter what. They may have had other targets in that area already identified but at the end of the day, the manager has a plan on how to play and who best fits his system.

This could all be hearsay of course, but that’s how I envisage that deal happened.

I think they do have a profile on the whole but have become more willing to compromise for those top level players in recent years especially as the coach they hired has a proven record.

As Lallana said above its about all areas working together.

The owners bought the club. They have a strategy for success.

They have gradually hired the people in all areas to provide that success and that includes those charged with identifying and recruiting players.

The manager is on record for being happy to work in such a system, its how he's worked his entire career don't forget, and of course he will have his input on players as well which will be taken on board. Again his record of success means they are more inclined to take his opinions that maybe Brendan before him.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #26790: Feb 21, 2021 11:52:11 pm
      It’s like billionaires setting up funds for x, y and z, claiming its to benefit people, or a green fund or whatever other crap they come out with, when in reality it’s a tax savings exercise.

Billionaires don’t think like normal, everyday folk do. It’s always about having more...
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26791: Feb 21, 2021 11:54:10 pm
      You mean in the summer that Coutinho knew and the club knew he was going to leave...

So what 🤷‍♂️

The club sold a player who clearly didn’t want to be at the club , got a huge amount for him

They used that money and bought players to help us win titles - what’s the issue ?

In 1987 we sold Rush for £3.2mil - from that money we bought Beardsley, Barnes and a few others - did you have an issue with “net spend” then ?

In 1977 we sold Keegan for ÂŁ500k and bought Kenny for ÂŁ450k - any issues thrn ?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #26792: Feb 21, 2021 11:59:59 pm
      I think they do have a profile on the whole but have become more willing to compromise for those top level players in recent years especially as the coach they hired has a proven record.

As Lallana said above its about all areas working together.

The owners bought the club. They have a strategy for success.

They have gradually hired the people in all areas to provide that success and that includes those charged with identifying and recruiting players.

The manager is on record for being happy to work in such a system, its how he's worked his entire career don't forget, and of course he will have his input on players as well which will be taken on board. Again his record of success means they are more inclined to take his opinions that maybe Brendan before him.

I’m not doubting they have improved the club immeasurably during their tenure. But there are clearly limits as to what they will and won’t do to further enhance the team to prolong success. Do you not think this very weird season has shown what little depth we really have? Matip is always injured even though he is quality when fit. So a replacement there was a must before the season even got under way. January bargain bin signings does not make good reading and makes little sense to have players like Nat Phillips or Rhys Williams in the squad at all if they’re overlooked for inexperienced newcomers.

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2021 12:16:39 am by MarkMitt »
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #26793: Feb 22, 2021 12:03:58 am
      So what 🤷‍♂️

The club sold a player who clearly didn’t want to be at the club , got a huge amount for him

They used that money and bought players to help us win titles - what’s the issue ?

In 1987 we sold Rush for £3.2mil - from that money we bought Beardsley, Barnes and a few others - did you have an issue with “net spend” then ?

In 1977 we sold Keegan for ÂŁ500k and bought Kenny for ÂŁ450k - any issues thrn ?

Difference is at those times we were the dominant force in English football and kept things fresh. Slightly different scenario then as well. Don’t forget John Barnes was the first 10k a week player IIRC, which showed we were willing to pay out to stay ahead of the pack.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26794: Feb 22, 2021 12:06:20 am
      Difference is at those times we were the dominant force in English football and kept things fresh. Slightly different scenario then as well. Don’t forget John Barnes was the first 10k a week player IIRC, which showed we were willing to pay out to stay ahead of the pack.

There is no difference

Players left and we used the money to improve

Just like we did with Coutinho leaving

Quick Reply